Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

12 hours ago, Line-X said:

??? Jesus Christ lighten up. What had you been drinking?

It was nothing more than a rhetorical observation for which I was hoping for an answer. More an appeal to incredulity than appeal to authority on my part.

Possibly one of the most bizarre replies of the year. Unreal. 

Sorry - I was boxing day drunk! But I do like Puel. (Until he puts out a defensive team v Cardiff)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

I think that's aload of plop, people got on his back cause the performances have been woeful at times.

Obviously you will get a few that don't like him as a person but that's life not every fan liked Pearson but saying the majority is going over the top 

Assuming Gillies is as far back as anyone on here goes  I  can think of  only him Wallace  Bloomfield  Farrell and possiblly Milne who didnt receive savage  critisism at some time incidentally I might be wrong but also these were the only ones apart from Oneil and Megson who werent sacked  which is hardly a reccommendation of selecting managers over the years

9 hours ago, norwichfox said:

Oh fcuk...am I dead....has 1964, Stringfellow, Gibson, Riley & Matt Gilles been eradicated from living memory?

1 wonder how old people are when they say living memory  as the 60s  were a brilliant decade and when we played Man U they were underdogs and surprise winners  in the FA cup.  and  the league cup ie  silver ware was won 34 years before Oneil

• Like 1

On 26/12/2018 at 23:08, Mendi said:

Some of the players don't see eye to eye, it's not the last of matter trust me. I will give him time but dont be shocked if the media have a other

story on him. He is on the club time to, when he will leave.

I have no facts to back this up, but I'd be astonished if any club from top level all the way down doesn't contain players not seeing 'eye to eye' with the gaffer. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Anglodanglo said:

I have no facts to back this up, but I'd be astonished if any club from top level all the way down doesn't contain players not seeing 'eye to eye' with the gaffer. 

Agreed and some of them that are clearly not in his plans are understandably on that list. Since when has a good boss always been popular? Some of those that don't see eye to eye are probably the one's to get rid of first.

48 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Got bored so looked through our league finishes over the last hundred years or so.  It's funny, in that time we have only finished in the top 10 in the top league 15 times.  When compared against almost all of the seasons in our entire history as a club we are on course to be in the top 10% of finishes if we maintain current position. Now I get that some folk don't like Puel but I still cannot fathom quite the negativity towards him.  X

I had so much fun under MON

This thread is disgusting. Please shut it down.

Edited by trabuch

27 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

1 wonder how old people are when they say living memory  as the 60s  were a brilliant decade and when we played Man U they were underdogs and surprise winners  in the FA cup.  and  the league cup ie  silver ware was won 34 years before Oneil

My sad old dad watched us lose the FA cup twice. And quite frankly - he didn't enjoy us winning the league as much as I thought he would. (I love him but he is a jealous ****)

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Tbf, the League Cup back then was a Mickey Mouse cup, two-leg final not even played at Wembley. 

But, yeah, the Sixties side was magnificent and could have - should have - won the Double in ‘63. 

10 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Got bored so looked through our league finishes over the last hundred years or so.  It's funny, in that time we have only finished in the top 10 in the top league 15 times.  When compared against almost all of the seasons in our entire history as a club we are on course to be in the top 10% of finishes if we maintain current position. Now I get that some folk don't like Puel but I still cannot fathom quite the negativity towards him.  X

How many matches have you actually attended over his stay in charge? trust me, the number of exciting matches at home over 14 months can be counted on two hands with fingers to spare and we have just had one of them, there have been matches over his tenure so awful I felt like I was stuck down my brothers on Xmas day having to watch an episode of EastEnders :ill:

Also, when we seem to turn a corner, say after the final two games of last season, or the cup and Liverpool game earlier this season, we then return to football so tedious it sucks your soul out of your eyes.

So I'm not getting carried away but just quietly hoping :)

Edited by ithuriel
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ithuriel said:

How many matches have you actually attended over his stay in charge? trust me, the number of exciting matches at home over 14 months can be counted on two hands with fingers to spare and we have just had one of them, there have been matches over his tenure so awful I felt like I was stuck down my brothers on Xmas day having to watch an episode of EastEnders :ill:

Starting to think its like boxing. The best matches look boring to the layman :ph34r:

9 hours ago, dormelcfc said:

Tried to keep my opinion back on Puel so far but I feel as though now I have to say something. First of all, I have to admit, I have been torn for a long time on whether he should stay with the club. Whilst the two wins against Chelsea and Man City have been amazing (my voice has only just recovered from the former) do not quite make me believe he is the man to take us forwards in the long term, I can see the direction he has tried to take us. The project that he keeps mentioning is clearly a long-term target which is why I am willing to give him time. 

First things first, following the 5-0 thumping at Palace last season and to an extent, the loss their this season, I was firmly Puel out. The way we have performed against the so-called "lesser" sides recently has not been good enough. That's why this weekend's game against Cardiff is so big for him - get a convincing win against them and it could go a long way in getting fans back onside.

In all though, I have seen enough throughout the last few months to understand what Puel has tried to do and agree with a lot of it. It was clear we needed a different style of play. The counter-attack had been found out as teams were just sitting back and stifling our attack. Therefore, by having more possession, you would create more chances. It does take time to completely change the mentality of a whole squad.

Also, his faith in youth such as Chilwell (whose improvement defensively has been brilliant by the way) and Choudhury has been brilliant to see. Most of his transfers have also made a lot of sense since he's arrived e.g. Ricardo, Soyuncu, Ward etc. 

I also see his point on the "balance" in the squad. It has been hard to find an equilibrium between attack and defence and it has taken some time for him to work out his best team. For the record, I think it's taken far too much time. The squad is also extremely bloated and players do need to leave. He has Tried his best to shift out the dead wood. No wonder there is reported discontent with players not playing. The problem is that who would want to buy those players handed long-term contracts on big wages? It's not exactly easy to shift a player collecting 60k+ per week.

The final aspect is how brilliantly he had handled some extremely difficult situations. Firstly, the Mahrez situation. I mean what club wouldn't struggle having lost their best player? And obviously the accident. He will forever have my utmost respect for how he lead the club through that time.

Yes, I know morality isn't really a reason for someone to keep their job and like I said, I was Puel out and will probably change my mind again at some point throughout the season. After all, it is a results game. A manager is only as good as his last result which lets look, we beat the reigning champions.

There are of course negatives: the chances spurned in the cups, the aforementioned poor run of form, the sometimes negative style of play. Yes,at times, it has been turgid. Which is why it has been so hard to really make a decisions.

What I do know though is whilst Puel is the manager of Leicester City Football Club, he at least deserves our support. We're on track for what we want to achieve. Should we repeat our first half of the season, we will finish on 56 points which was enough to finish 7th last year. That's after being relatively inconsistent.  I don't think it's quite as bad as people make out. Up the Leicester. 

The best post I have seen in a long time 

how a great deal of us feel I would suspect 

:appl:

4 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Starting to think its like boxing. The best matches look boring to the layman :ph34r:

If you think his best matches are tedious games where we fight for draws against average opposition or get a pasting but can never give one, you must be one of those sickos who likes jellied eels and tripe:fishing:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

The tactical change he made against Man City, he outwitted pep 

He did indeed.      Now I want to see him outwit the 'Owl' next time we play the mighty Palace.

We're currently 7th in the league. Answer this question: Is our squad better than West Ham's, Everton's, Wolves's, Watford's and Bournemouth's? 
Even if it is, it's not by so much that it's unacceptable to be below any of them. At the minute we're above all them with a lower net spend than Everton, West Ham and Wolves. 

Edited by BenTheFox

11 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I wonder who there is out there that could take this team higher than 7th?

One might argue that we were 11th last week, but I would again say who is there that will take us above those 7th-11th positions?

I feel a bit for Puel in that he just won't be accepted by many.  I wonder what he thinks of us, the fans.  I remember that toe curling game against Sheff Utd when our own fans were singing '**** off Martin O'Neill'.  He never forgot that and he never forgave it.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

It's become vogue to want things that make life worse for yourself while not appreciating how good things actually are. 

A quick look at history shows that these are in fact good times. Still let's bring back slavery things were good then, or so I'm told.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

I wonder who there is out there that could take this team higher than 7th?

One might argue that we were 11th last week, but I would again say who is there that will take us above those 7th-11th positions?

I feel a bit for Puel in that he just won't be accepted by many.  I wonder what he thinks of us, the fans.  I remember that toe curling game against Sheff Utd when our own fans were singing '**** off Martin O'Neill'.  He never forgot that and he never forgave it.

There's some that look at the dropped points against Fulham, Palace, Burnley etc. as well as the last two wins and suggest that we should be sixth. I despair, I really do. All teams drop points against teams they feel they should be beating. Maybe there is a manager out there that could break us into the top six, who knows? But there are also many managers out there that would have us further down the league than we are now. I'll reiterate, do we really have a better squad than Everton, West Ham and Watford? If so is it by so much that we should be well out of sight of them at this stage? 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Also, when we seem to turn a corner, say after the final two games of last season, or the cup and Liverpool game earlier this season, we then return to football so tedious it sucks your soul out of your eyes.

So I'm not getting carried away but just quietly hoping :)

Not really sure you answered any of what I said in my post but good points, well made.  X

Well, I suspect this is he any good or is he poor question will rumble on until the end of the season. With plenty on here switching their thoughts from week to week depending on individual results. A couple of wins and all the told you so optimists will be all over it, a couple of loses and the bottles half empty pessimists we take their turn at saying I told you so. I genuinely hope the last two matches are a turning point in terms of confidence and correct tactics employed. This next game although not pivotal will be will be scrutinised more than ever to see if Puel has indeed changed his spots and learned from his mistakes. Let's all hope so.