Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Whetstone_Fox

Europa League

In its present form the Europa League is a poisoned chalice for teams like us.Umpteen rounds of qualifying followed by the drudge of the 6 game group stage,where we’d get to play Moldova’s finest.All this just to get to the last 32 ?

I appreciate that there’s loads of countries in Europe now and every one deserves a chance,but it was so much better when it was a straight 64 team knockout.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Just you watch. It’ll go down to the last game of the season with us needing by to win and hope Everton lose in the race for 7th. 

More likely the once and future European power Wolves will nick 7th, breeze the groups with a few new Mendes bargains in the squad, then draw Moreirense and SCP on their way to the finals.  Their squad will only have to travel to the "home" matches.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

am absolutely, utterly flabbergasted that any matchgoing fan could not want us to qualify for the Europa League

Same lol

I don't get how some fans obviously want us to finish high as possible, therefore potentially qualifying for Europe, but then also not want Europa League. A reality check is needed for them if they think we're finishing top 6 because the gulf in quality between those and any others is huge. Will take something seriously special to break that glass ceiling and no side outside the top 6 has it. Reputation-wise and financially they're also in a different ball park.

So after the top 6 the aim should be to be the 'best of the rest i.e 7th. That's realistically the highest we could finish. And with that comes the Europa League qualification (if top 6 win the cups etc).

If fans don't want to play in the Europa League they then need to ask themselves if they'll be happy with a finish lower than 7th? If the answer is yes, they have absolutely no right to moan it about where we end up come May if it's purely about avoiding Europe. Quality of football yes, that can be criticised wherever we finish.

• Like 1

We're getting rid of our expensive aging squad. If we get into Europa Puel will play the academy players. He'll have to. He has an unrivalled reputation with young players. And I can't see any other way except splurging on players. We should concentrate on beating Soton first.

Edited by Foxxed

I really want us to play in Europa so let's get behind the team and push them there.  Don't think we need to buy more players apart from a striker. Should recall Barnes and Benkovic. Keep Slimani and Silva. Silva needs more games. Then consistently play with 4-3-3 because this is our winning formula. Choudhury works well with Mendy AND Ndidi. We failed against Newport because of the midfield and our blunt attack in Okazaki and Iheanacho. Puel  should have played a young lad upfront from academy to link with Nacho. Someone like Ndukwu

honestly would sacrifice the whole of next season for one decent european trip. following this club is as dead as anything these days, the players don’t give a shit, the manager doesn’t give a shit and most of the fans are abhorrent. 

the only glint of light is the possibility of having to get a ryanair flight to the middle of fu cking nowhere for a week on the ale to make it all actually seem watchable. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

honestly would sacrifice the whole of next season for one decent european trip. following this club is as dead as anything these days, the players don’t give a shit, the manager doesn’t give a shit and most of the fans are abhorrent. 

the only glint of light is the possibility of having to get a ryanair flight to the middle of fu cking nowhere for a week on the ale to make it all actually seem watchable. 

Did you not just see us beat Chelsea and Man City in the same week over Christmas?

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Did you not just see us beat Chelsea and Man City in the same week over Christmas?

i didn’t tbf, i was on the lager with my mates. that’s how boring we’ve become. i find out most of our results from either the amount of threads on here or from james maddison’s instagram stories. 

22 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't think we'll qualify for it because we're not good enough, is my riveting hot take from this one.

But if we do, I want it absolutely taking seriously.

I am absolutely, utterly flabbergasted that any matchgoing fan could not want us to qualify for the Europa League. I question what you honestly want this club to aspire to, and what you're actually getting out of following Leicester if you actively don't want us to be in it.

These things about teams struggling because of Europe - there's a degree of it for sure, but it's very much a Premier League propaganda narrative, just like the shunning of nearly every other competition in the footballing calendar, they're being promoted as hindrances to this promised land of midtable Premier League football where ultimately, the only proper beneficiaries aren't actually the fans. Fans themselves should not be towing this line.

I don't expect us to go into it and win it if we do qualify, but if we don't take it seriously, in the quest of... you guessed it, qualifying for the Europa League, then I think I'd frankly start to lose interest in even bothering with it anymore.

I also stress that if we do get there and end up in the qualifying rounds, that we've got another thing coming if we think we can arrogantly waltz our way to the group stages just like we think we can waltz past these lower league sides (and sometimes don't). It needs to be taken seriously, cherished, and we really can create some special memories. Hull went out to Lokeren, Southampton went out to Hapoel Be'er-Sheva, West Ham suffered consecutive losses to Astra Giurgiu. It could happen to us if we weren't careful.

I think there's a disconnect between fans that go to games and don't - if you polled fans that go to games regularly I think the overwhelming majority would want us to but on here especially there's a lot of international fans and others that don't attend. I think the latter probably wouldn't be as keen.

On 07/01/2019 at 18:22, Rigga said:

Why would you not want Europa League ?

You think Vichai and Top want us making up the numbers in the PL ?

Puel bottled the push for 7th last season...It’s sure to happen again

No he didnt...!!!

20 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I think there's a disconnect between fans that go to games and don't - if you polled fans that go to games regularly I think the overwhelming majority would want us to but on here especially there's a lot of international fans and others that don't attend. I think the latter probably wouldn't be as keen.

Not me,I am a latter. Who used to go regularly,even when I became disabled..

Even being in Germany,I wanted to go regularly,including away games. Membership rules fked that!!

Both set of fans have their ideas,not worse or better than the next.

I support Puel....he like many makes mistakes... But even within club,and from the various terraces areas there are consentious differences and

Perspectives...A fans wishes might,rightly or wrongly not fit in the club's or managers targets for that particular season,plus the irregularities of players

Form,and future potential will effect the way of thinking,in periods of that season...

but me,even when seeing probably a wider perspective of needs,from other countries clubs in their various leagues...

My basics don't change...Whether at the top/middle/relegation fight...you go for all competitions. Even a depleted squad,or lacking form

should compete for every competition they possibly can.

But I do believe using the squad fully,and in cup competitions. But those cup competitions can bring embarrassing losses,with the best 1st team,

or one can select,as well by playing quality fringe players..When it goes wrong then fans and pundits jump on it!!!

If we fail to get 7th some fans with high graces and air of entitlement,will froth at the mouth and take up rabid attacks on all and sundry connected to the club!!I

Me..I just want the selected players compete and show they tried,in all competitions,if they lose out.. you support

and happy to see their true worth and level after 38games. Nobody throws away chances delibrately!!

don't start acting like spoilt brats,and know-alls....Throw the prawn sandwiches out and get back to bread cheese with HP sauce,or a couple of

Pukka pies...and a vimto..:D

I actually don't think we are consistent enough to land that coveted 7th place,unless Puel and midfield players can improve on that consistency!!I

If the players as a team suddenly grasp the situation,they do have it in them...

Top 9 is still my prediction...

Over  this last season there seems to be some arrogant snobbish discrimination,against people who can't get to the live games...and support over TV

A few words to those that do have these childish Brattish thoughts, After 60yrs ,even when competing on some matchdays,I have followed my

Team through to everyground,in wind,snow,frost ,plain British drizzling rain and fog,herded like sheep,ran to the latest of latest trains,thumbed adventurous lifts..slept in rattling bus shelters..so to you all .....just ...!!!

Well I can't really steep so low ,as these braggards..

On 7 January 2019 at 17:22, Rigga said:

Why would you not want Europa League ?

You think Vichai and Top want us making up the numbers in the PL ?

Puel bottled the push for 7th last season...It’s sure to happen again

Why would you not want to win a domestic cup? It seems our manager was not bothered with that idea.

17 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

i didn’t tbf, i was on the lager with my mates. that’s how boring we’ve become. i find out most of our results from either the amount of threads on here or from james maddison’s instagram stories. 

Real fan then?