Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Whetstone_Fox

Europa League

9 minutes ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

Don't understand why you guys don't have the desire to challenge for Europe. The only reason Burnley messed up is that their Squad Depth is atrocious. We have the capability to challenge for Europe and we HAD the experienced players in order to do it.

Slimani, Silva, Iborra, Fuchs, Musa all have European Experience and are valuable players but CP decides that just because they don't fit his style he'll get rid of them. Vardy doesn't fit his style, is he going to get rid of him as well? Peeves me off. Call me delusional, but I wanna see European football at the KP once again. Our triumphs weren't flukes. We can do it again.

I dont see why so many fans have such an issue with Puel moving on certain players. Iborra and Silva were/are on high wages and weren't being used, whether its because they aren't good enough or didn't fit the style is irrelevant, they have barely played and when they have they haven't pulled up any trees. Fuchs' contract is up so will be leaving anyway and his best days are behind him. Musa was a complete waste of space and did nothing under Ranieri or Shakespeare either so nothing to do with Puels style. Slimani is a hit and miss type player who i still think could be useful to us but there have been question marks over his attitude. I take your point about them having European experience but that doesn't mean they are good enough for our squad and should be kept, especially given they are all on high wages. Some on here just need to accept that we cant have a massive wage bill and keep spending 100's of millions on new signings when we are expanding the stadium and getting a new training ground. And also Puel is going nowhere anytime soon so people just need to accept that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My general theory is the PL 7-12 is favorably comparable to the 3-6 of many of the other European leagues but only one half of this equation regularly features in the Europa, so were we to make it I think quite a bit could be accomplished against the quality of opponents we'd face. The trick is making it from the PL (without cups) is very very difficult and highly competitive so sitting in pole position now, let's try and keep it. 

25 minutes ago, Benguin said:

What’s the point, Puel will play a crap side in the play off rounds and we’ll get knocked out in Azerbaijan or the likes.

25 minutes ago, MattP said:

What's the point in qualifying? We'll play reserves anyway as the league game at the weekend will be more important. 

With your profile pics this was one of the more surreal foxestalk moments of recent times. 

• Haha 1

CP did not want to play in the League Cup - no Vardy and others

CP did not want to play in the FA Cup - no Vardy and others

CP certainly does not want to play Europa League - too long and exhausting journeys

What does CP want anyway?

25 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I dont see why so many fans have such an issue with Puel moving on certain players. Iborra and Silva were/are on high wages and weren't being used, whether its because they aren't good enough or didn't fit the style is irrelevant, they have barely played and when they have they haven't pulled up any trees. Fuchs' contract is up so will be leaving anyway and his best days are behind him. Musa was a complete waste of space and did nothing under Ranieri or Shakespeare either so nothing to do with Puels style. Slimani is a hit and miss type player who i still think could be useful to us but there have been question marks over his attitude. I take your point about them having European experience but that doesn't mean they are good enough for our squad and should be kept, especially given they are all on high wages. Some on here just need to accept that we cant have a massive wage bill and keep spending 100's of millions on new signings when we are expanding the stadium and getting a new training ground. And also Puel is going nowhere anytime soon so people just need to accept that. 

Apparently iborra was on £50k? :D

1 hour ago, Whetstone_Fox said:

The Europa League is worth going for as it is a way into the Champions league if we do really well in it but also it is another European tour.

Yes i do agree our depth of squad right now is not enough to cope with the demand of the Europa League but Puel and behind the scenes will have the Summer transfer window to sort it out and sign a lot of people (Thats if we finish in a Europa League spot)

Everyone keeps saying that Burnley went down hill because of it but i disagree. Burnley did not make enough signings to cope with it and that is straight facts. Whereas we have the money and the backing for transfers so i think this is our opportunity

I said it the other day, Marseille had 19 games to get to the final, that's utterly insane. The Europa doesn't even afford you the extra money to buy the extra players you would need to battle on two fronts. 

• Like 1

I honestly can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want to be involved in the Europa league. The champions league was my first experience of European football (I was just too young to remember the 97 European campaign), and it provided me with some of the best memories I have as an lcfc fan. Obviously the Europa won’t be the same as the CL, but it’s still European football, which going back a few years would have been a dream for us.  

I get the point that it would take its toll on the squad, and in my opinion our league form would undoubtedly suffer. But I don’t think it’d be as bad as Burnley. Purely because we have owners who have the ambition and pockets to invest in the squad to compete. Surely a few places down the league the following season is a price worth paying though for a European adventure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PoshhFox said:

We ain’t finishing 7th.

we will finish between 9th - 11th

Just you watch. It’ll go down to the last game of the season with us needing by to win and hope Everton lose in the race for 7th. 

We get a famous win and Everton are 1-0 down in injury time but snatch a dramatic last kick of the ball equaliser to get the point they need to quality. 

All those on here who say they don’t give a shit about finishing 7th then spend a week crying in thier beer.

1 hour ago, Whetstone_Fox said:

The Europa League is worth going for as it is a way into the Champions league if we do really well in it but also it is another European tour.

Yes i do agree our depth of squad right now is not enough to cope with the demand of the Europa League but Puel and behind the scenes will have the Summer transfer window to sort it out and sign a lot of people (Thats if we finish in a Europa League spot)

Everyone keeps saying that Burnley went down hill because of it but i disagree. Burnley did not make enough signings to cope with it and that is straight facts. Whereas we have the money and the backing for transfers so i think this is our opportunity

I admire your optimism withe the "way into the champions league" comment.

However we will have to negotiate 3 two legged qualifying games, another 6 group games & then the simple matter of being the best of the remaining 32 teams. A total of 21 games. My own optimism has waned a touch but I hope you're right.

Edited by boots60

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I'd like us to first of all, qualify, but if we were to make it I'd want us take it seriously - I'd rather finish lower down the league than chuck away a European campaign only to try and finish 7th again.

Exactly this.