Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel says people quickly forget the trauma at Leicester

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

What quotes? I've certainly not seen anything from him talking about transfer strategy for 6 months time (nor would I expect to). If you actually mean last summer - again what quotes and what is the context?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/claude-puel-insists-doesnt-need-2425978.amp

When asked about attacking players 

1 minute ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

If he goes out and says "we need more reinforcements" what message does that give to the current attackers or the likes of Barnes? 

If your boss at work says you're being replaced, or they're searching for your replacement, you aren't going to work at your best? Now try doing the same in front of 32,000 people.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

What quotes? I've certainly not seen anything from him talking about transfer strategy for 6 months time (nor would I expect to). If you actually mean last summer - again what quotes and what is the context?

I quite like that ...   he says we are not likely to get any new players in ..   yet ITK’s reckon we have put in a couple of bids ...   good way to approach things ..  doesn’t build up expectation if we don’t get anyone and doesn’t alert other teams we are in the market which would weaken our hand if they smell desperation.    Another manager may broadcast this so that people all think things will get better and blame others above if it is not pulled off.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mee-9 said:

People quickly forget?

Look at the scenes Puel after the tragedy. Football fans don't forget dark days like those. 

This article like it's been said doesn't sit well. He seems to be looking for any excuse to get the fans off his back.

Yes the media have a propensity to misinterpret and embellish to sell papers, however to say we forget is ridiculous. 

At the end of the day, we're all a family linked together by 11 players on a pitch. Football will be the one constant throughout any tragedy be it our personal lives or the lives of our club. 

First saying we need a reality check, now saying we've forgotten about the tragedy? It seems like he's desperate. Words like his don't sit well with the fans and will only attract more negativity towards him in my opinion. 

One thing is for certain, we've been poor for a while. He needs to start becoming accountable with these ridiculous team selections and negative tactics. Hold your hands up and say you've made a mistake, don't have a go at those people who love the club and will stick through it thick and thin. 

He doesn't say you forget or that we fans forget. He only specifically mentions journalists? Anyone stopped to consider he was perhaps asked a somewhat disrespectful question about Top and his backing of the manager.

Hence his comments starting with an odd "I don't need support like that" and then him talking about their relationship.

• Like 1

As well as a big Leicester City fan I'm also a big F1 fan. 

In Formula 1 there have always been tragedies, deaths, drivers being asked if they'd commit to a corner any differently now that they have a baby etc.

It's always the same answer from all of them... once the visor goes down, everything else gets shut out and the focus is purely on the job at hand. No distractions, no sentiments, nothing.

So I think by now the players, although it was a horrific tragedy, that occurred, should be getting on with playing football now. I don't think recent performances can be attributed to the death of our owner.

Thing is, no matter what went on in the tragedy etc, it's no excuse for shit boring football. Its that way now, and it was that way for 6 months before it.

We aren't going to finish top 6 and we aren't going down, all the fans are asking for is for Puel to set the team up to actually have a go at winning games as opposed to not losing. 

I'm all for his tactics against the big guns but Jesus, I'd rather lose and get beat in a 6 goal thriller than watch him fail miserably week after week trying to grind out 1-0 wins against the bottom six which he constantly fails to achieve. 

People pay a fortune to turn up to watch football, they are entitled to complain when he's week after week serving up absolute dog shit in exchange for fans money.  The players aren't as bad as he's making them look with his atrocious tactics in the games we should be getting results from. 

• Thanks 1

Right so a) that's not talking about the summer, that's this window alone

b) it's literally the same thing as when he was asked last month: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/claude-puel-leicester-city-transfer-2325183

It is not the right moment to look at the winter window to make a big change. We have a plan for next season. It is not the half season

Basically, we're not going to spend big in January - which I don't think we have done in a long time. Probably Sven's loans and before that Holloway where we tried to really change the squad in January - and look how well that worked out. 

There's good reason not to make many signings, and definitely not major ones, in January and that is that it's not a buyer's window, we'd just get screwed for prices unless we signed players with fixed release clauses. So, in the summer expect a new striker or two, this window expect us to mostly move on deadwood and only make a signing if the right deal becomes available

1 minute ago, smr said:

As well as a big Leicester City fan I'm also a big F1 fan. 

In Formula 1 there have always been tragedies, deaths, drivers being asked if they'd commit to a corner any differently now that they have a baby etc.

It's always the same answer from all of them... once the visor goes down, everything else gets shut out and the focus is purely on the job at hand. No distractions, no sentiments, nothing.

So I think by now the players, although it was a horrific tragedy, that occurred, should be getting on with playing football now. I don't think recent performances can be attributed to the death of our owner.

You don't get to decide when a person should be finished grieving. People deal with loss in different ways, it may or may not be impacting their game.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He doesn't say you forget or that we fans forget. He only specifically mentions journalists? Anyone stopped to consider he was perhaps asked a somewhat disrespectful question about Top and his backing of the manager.

Hence his comments starting with an odd "I don't need support like that" and then him talking about their relationship.

No Babs ..   hardly anyone has stopped to consider it.  Whatever the guy does or says will always have a negative slant put on it and that’s the way it will stay until he goes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Still can't see a quote saying?  Can you copy and paste it for me?

"No, I think we have the right balance between experienced players and young players,” he said.

“I think we need to just keep a positive attitude, to keep working in training and to have the right response in the next game."

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

If he goes out and says "we need more reinforcements" what message does that give to the current attackers or the likes of Barnes? 

If your boss at work says you're being replaced, or they're searching for your replacement, you aren't going to work at your best? Now try doing the same in front of 32,000 people.

Like vardy didnt perform when we bought in shiny, slimani, musa, iheanacho.

Do we just never sign a forward untill vardy is retired so we don't upset him and his Mrs? **** that we need strikers and now. What have we scored in the home games this season? 13? That's less than Sunderland when they got relegated. But it's not like we want to see goals anyway

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Right so a) that's not talking about the summer, that's this window alone

b) it's literally the same thing as when he was asked last month: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/claude-puel-leicester-city-transfer-2325183

Basically, we're not going to spend big in January - which I don't think we have done in a long time. Probably Sven's loans and before that Holloway where we tried to really change the squad in January - and look how well that worked out. 

There's good reason not to make many signings, and definitely not major ones, in January and that is that it's not a buyer's window, we'd just get screwed for prices unless we signed players with fixed release clauses. So, in the summer expect a new striker or two, this window expect us to mostly move on deadwood and only make a signing if the right deal becomes available

Like 400k for mahrez was a bad deal? Or 3mil for huth?this winter transfer window hoodoo is a load of bollocks

• Like 1

I'm in agreement that people should be more patient under the circumstances and should trust the club to get things right, whatever their opinion on CP.

But, this to me is another example of his poor communication skills. How he expects to bring some people onside with these sort of statements I'll never know.

Edited by Vestan Pance

At the end of last season our style of football was as dull as it is now, and the very last game of the season I remember there were boos, remember when the players wanted to do a lap of honour and there was hardly anyone left in the stadium?

The football was shit then, before the accident, it was dull, boring, predictable and sterile. 

Pretty much exactly how it is now, and has been before the accident. So I think yes the players may have been affected by it, but it's a bit of a lame card to play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

"No, I think we have the right balance between experienced players and young players,” he said.

“I think we need to just keep a positive attitude, to keep working in training and to have the right response in the next game."

Like vardy didnt perform when we bought in shiny, slimani, musa, iheanacho.

Do we just never sign a forward untill vardy is retired so we don't upset him and his Mrs? **** that we need strikers and now. What have we scored in the home games this season? 13? That's less than Sunderland when they got relegated. But it's not like we want to see goals anyway

Don't remember saying not to sign a striker or an attacking player? Or that it'll upset them for that manner.

Simply announcing to the world you're in the market for an attacker: 

A) Knocks the confidence of those you already have, since scoring is hugely helped by confidence, ruining will help you avoid seeing any goals.

B) Puts potential prices of those you're interested in up.

We aren't in a place to chuck money around, so why potential up prices when you can go about your business quietly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

What have we scored in the home games this season? 13? That's less than Sunderland when they got relegated. But it's not like we want to see goals anyway

We do still have 8 home games to go... Comparing when we've only just played half of our home games (57%) is kinda stupid. 

Like 400k for mahrez was a bad deal? Or 3mil for huth?this winter transfer window hoodoo is a load of bollocks

Well no, if you read the post again they would be the right deals that came available. Not spending loads for the sake of it. 

He never said the tragedy is an excuse for the performances, he just implied fans acting like that in a time like this about the entertainment they have or not watching football games have little to no decency.
I fully agree with him.

Edited by yks

My first reaction to this - as to most things Claude says - is:

What the hell are you on about??

His words and sentences are vague and nebulous, offering us next to nothing in terms of valuable information and insight.

The fact is he either cannot express himself with precision or perception in English, or he deliberately uses his flawed English to confuse us and keep us in the dark. Either way it's a shambles.

Personally I'd prefer him to speak French (which I can understand and speak myself) and use an interpreter - preferably a good one not a stooge!

• Like 1

Just now, yks said:

He never said the tragedy is an excuse for the performance, he just implied fans acting like that in a time like this about the entertainment they have or not watching football games have little to no decency.
I fully agree with him.

He didn't even imply fans. He's talking to a journo, answering a question asked by a journo and only specifically mentions journalists.

I mean it's hardly a stretch to consider he's just been asked a question worthy of contempt towards those asking it.