Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

What’s happened to ‘our Arry’

Harry Maguire in his first season could make errors, of course, but generally was immense.

So much so that he cemented a regular international spot and was great in the World Cup.

The player I watched today can’t be the same man? Positionally poor, no real communication with Wes, and very few of those carrying runs into the midfield

Whats occurred?

I imagine his stock has declined and if I were Southgate I’d not be playing him at the moment.

Wheres ‘our Arry’ gone?

• Like 2

For me today it was an injury after what, 6 minutes, down with the knee again and limping. Unsurprisingly not long after he struggles to get off the ground as they plant one in. I know it's difficult to make a sub that early but I do think he should have come off rather than letting him hobble for a bit before doing so.

• Like 4

Just a bit off that's all. 

I'm not sure why people expect him to move on tbh. I'm not sure any of the top 6 would have genuine interest.

There were links to Man United in the summer but I'm sure they have better targets and that's gone a bit cold. Apart from that, I doubt the rest are interested.

I think he's here for years to come 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just having an iffy season, it happens. I wouldn't be against him going as we have Soyuncu and Benkovic who will be very good. We have missed any chance of getting near £50m for him though, anything over £35m I'd snap their hands off.

Come the day I reckon we will get more than £50m ...  and you’re right we do have good cover.   More important issues on the pitch atm.

1 minute ago, Stevosevic said:

Just a bit off that's all. 

I'm not sure why people expect him to move on tbh. I'm not sure any of the top 6 would have genuine interest.

There were links to Man United in the summer but I'm sure they have better targets and that's gone a bit cold. Apart from that, I doubt the rest are interested.

I think he's here for years to come 

Would love to think so but can’t see it.

The goal from the corner can't be pinned on Maguire. That goal was a prime example of how not to defend with zonal marking. We had our big guys in the correct positions, lined up on the 6 yard line, but you need to stop players getting a free run from the penalty spot. Maguire had a guy infront and behind him both having a free run.

In contrast Wolves set up with their big guys on the 6 yard line, but had a second line 12 yards out to disrupt/block/track the runs of our players which meant the likes of Maguire and Morgan couldn't get the run on the 6 yard box. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shailen said:

Needs to be dropped for 1/2 games to stop the complacency. He probably felt untouchable here after the world cup 

Drop Harry and with Wes in decline, we are then a bit short at the back. Amazing how things change so quickly.

He's never actually been that good at defending - for England at the WC he was played as the LCB of a three, meaning he would always have two covering if he were to lose the ball in one of his bustling foraging adventures. He is excellent in carrying the ball forwards and protecting it, knowing what to do with his weight. His technique and close control is also surprisingly efficient. Defending though, not always. Running back towards his own goal no. Consistency, no. In the right system covering his deficiencies (3 at the back) he would excel again (injuries permitting), if we aren't going to play to his strengths he's worth more as a fee and in today's market, even for an out of form Mags you'd want £50m+

So it's hard really. He's a valuable asset, we have to keep his value up, yet we don't play to his strengths and he looks very replaceable. Unless he still has room to grow going into the latter stages of his career and turns into a no-nonsense animal with no problems in a CB pairing, possible Captain material - never know.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that he's ever been that solid, he wasn't called up on the back of us being solid was he. It's what he can do on the ball that stands him apart. Problem is we've have to reign him in a bit with that as it disrupted the back line a lot.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Drop Harry and with Wes in decline, we are then a bit short at the back. Amazing how things change so quickly.

Not saying to sell him or anything but his performances have not been at his usual level. Keep him on his toes a little bit. Evans should get a chance imo.

1 minute ago, shailen said:

Not saying to sell him or anything but his performances have not been at his usual level. Keep him on his toes a little bit. Evans should get a chance imo.

I am not disagreeing with you:thumbup:

20 minutes ago, EnglishOxide said:

We've got the fifth best defence in the league. He can't be doing that bad.

But how much of that was when he was injured?

Our defence all of a sudden tightened up when he was injured.

Be interested to see our defensive record with him vs without him this season.

Not saying he's bad or should be dropped all of a sudden, just not sure how much your argumentholds water.

Edited by Sampson