Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Claude Puel defends his Leicester City record

32 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Even more weird that he persisted with simpson ahead of amartey last year. So little consistency.

Eh Amartey was getting picked ahead of him within about two months of arriving, it was only an injury that kept him out of the squad from Everton onwards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Eh Amartey was getting picked ahead of him within about two months of arriving, it was only an injury that kept him out of the squad from Everton onwards.

Amartey was only selected because Simpson wasnt fit for 5 or so games (did his achilles agaunst united). He dropped him post Everton for three games bizarrely (as soon as Simpson was fit) and then he got injured against Bournemouth. 

Edited by Abrasive fox

Popped onto the Everton forum after their defeat in the cup to see they are having identical conversations about Silva and his tactics, lots of what were the board thinking, he has no plan b, chops and changes the side along with it's not his team, we're in transition, we need stability etc so pretty similar except 1 thing and that was they do blame the players more, not fighting for him, not having the minerals to stand up and take responsibility etc which doesn't happen on here and I mean that as a team not the same individuals that get blamed regardless if there involved in play that leads to us conceding or not.

Most field games are played in phases with a bad phase played further up the pitch having a knock on down the pitch, Its easy to blame the likes of Morgan, Simpson, Mendy in recent games because they are spotlighted due to being in the final phase of conceding but if the more popular players the likes of Vardy, Maddison or Albrighton hadn't lost the ball or had won the tackle further up the pitch it wouldn't set off the chain reaction, I know I'm kinda simplifying it and not every penny fits the slot but I'm trying to say it's a team game and we should apportion blame/credit as a team win lose or draw.

Recently Puel was being blamed for over training and going into to much detail for the players to handle yet contrary to that Puel himself said on a recent interview regarding 'spy-gate' 

“I want my players to play their own game, not to play as a reaction to the opposition.

“I don't like this because I want to develop the team to have the ability to have the right answer. 
“When something arrives in the game they have to have the right reaction. The end of the game is too late.

“I want them to take responsibility.”

That last bit hits the nail on the head and the right way to coach for me, he gives them the building blocks but ultimately it's down to them once they cross the white line and I'm sure this is how the great Pep does it.

Again keeping it simplistic, an instructor down in Hereford can train his troopers to storm a building for a month but when they actually do it for real they have to react to what's in front of them not say the instructor didn't tell me there would be a gunman in that room and freeze, I know I'm losing the plot :blink:.

Lets stop the continued assaniation of Puel, yes he has his cons but there's a lot of pros, let's get in the stands and pull together behind him and our team and finish this season on a high.

As a side just read this morning that Silva has only won 6 of his last 32 Away games, I can't believe that he was on the top of our list for some on here, Puel's stats must be better than that :scarf:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Good point and even then Puel put forward the idea of sending Harvey back so he could get another one of his wingers in last week! ?

Jesus!! 

Does the fact that wasn't sanctioned point towards Puel being told who to select now? 

3 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Even more weird that he persisted with simpson ahead of amartey last year. So little consistency.

Last year we constantly got hole in the left side because of chilwell. So it's unwise to put another risky option on the other side, moreover with mahrez there not contributing much for our defence. 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

So, the end of the previous season, where Shakespeare waited until every other defender was out injured and he needed Fuchs to play CB, doesn't count then?

So, Puel bad for not playing him before Manchester City, but yet Puel, unlike the fanbase, showed faith in him to actually involve him?

Diabate is a kid. He was signed as a potential prospect, if Mahrez hadn't thrown a hissy fit he wouldn't even have played last season. He's out on loan to gain experience. Maybe he'll come good, maybe he won't but if you're counting every development squad signing that doesn't prove good enough as a failure, then every manager fails most of the time in the transfer window. Even the much vaunted Pearson/Shakespeare/Walsh combo were mostly failures if we're counting kids signed because they might have something about them in the future.

Which is what I just said? Regardless of whether Ghezzal was a success, we had a total of 3 senior wingers at the club at the start of January - Barnes came back because he looked like he could step up, and was a position we needed filling. But, Puel chose to bring him back rather than join the merry go round of mediocre journeyman wingers by going for someone like Townsend or Puncheon.

I get you don't like Puel, but be a reasonable person and at least give him credit for the parts of his reign that have been a success...

What success?!?!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

With this squad they probably could yeah.

One of our greatest ever GKs, Maguire, Vardy, Chilwell, Maddison, Perreira - most would get in every side outside the top 6....

Two of them are his signings, are they not? - another he's stood by and helped flourish into England's LB

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

What success?!?!

Bringing through youth, on course for two top 10 finishes and never at risk of going down when every other manager we've had in the top flight since O'Neill has had us in the relegation zone, 3 cup quarter finals (as many as we'd managed in the 11 years prior to his arrival). His reign has been alright and there's no doubt that when he leaves we'll be in a better position on and off the field than when he arrived. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Bringing through youth, on course for two top 10 finishes and never at risk of going down when every other manager we've had in the top flight since O'Neill has had us in the relegation zone, 3 cup quarter finals (as many as we'd managed in the 11 years prior to his arrival). His reign has been alright and there's no doubt that when he leaves we'll be in a better position on and off the field than when he arrived. 

This more or less sums it up really adding to that though I would say he has took us as far as he can or would and we are starting to regress slightly which is why there will be a new manager in the summer I think.

17 minutes ago, Albert said:

if you think those stats & the whole atmosphere around the club is acceptable you’re in denial!

No, I'm just not delusional. Won 13, Drew 8, lost 17 in 38 games is a return of 47 points. That's 9th, 8th, 11th, 11th & 11th in the last 5 seasons. A perfectly good finish for a midtable club.

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

With this squad they probably could yeah.

One of our greatest ever GKs, Maguire, Vardy, Chilwell, Maddison, Perreira - most would get in every side outside the top 6....

Shame the last two didn't or he wouldn't be here.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Albert said:

Every other manager didn’t have a squad with the quality we now have.

Beating lower opposition to get to the Quarter finals but then play the B squad & get knocked out is a missed opportunity, not an achievement.

A top 10 finish should be the minimum expected given the quality of our squad & if you take into account all the points lost against teams we should be beating its another missed opportunity as we should be in the European places.

In the last 38 Prem games we’ve won 13! 

In the last 19 home games we’ve won 6!

Ignoring the fact he’s already lost the players/staff & now the majority of fans if you think those stats & the whole atmosphere around the club is acceptable you’re in denial!

This is the most worrying aspect of it all. I've heard this from two or three reliable sources. I can't see how there will be a positive way forward with Puel as manager.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

No, I'm just not delusional. Won 13, Drew 8, lost 17 in 38 games is a return of 47 points. That's 9th, 8th, 11th, 11th & 11th in the last 5 seasons. A perfectly good finish for a midtable club.

You are 100% delusional