Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Claude Puel defends his Leicester City record

1 minute ago, oadby.fox said:

Do they really though? We can't read minds but it doesn't seem like the players are doing what he wants them to do when they defend like they did against Wolves, or like they did against Southampton. Does Puel also want us to concede first in so many games? If he does then that's insane and if he doesn't then there clearly is some kind of disconnect with the squad, as we have had these problems for over a year now. So either the players don't listen to him or they do, and because they listen to him these things happen.

Whilst I agree with Puel and others in the sense that our expectations have to be calibrated by the reality we find ourselves in, I don't find his tone in this interview particularly endearing. You want your manager to be highly competitive and for each loss to haunt him, like it does for so many travelling fans. Making excuses for losing games, and losing games in such a poor way isn't a great attitude to have and that lack of care could easily filter down to the players and effect their in game mentality. It's not about being in the top 6, or in the mix for a champions league spot (even though both wouldn't have been technically impossible). It's about learning from the mistakes you've already made 10 times and working hard to improve. Coming out and saying we should lower our expectations is so defeatist. Is it that our squad is so terrible that we can't expect to always compete against teams below or around us? I think that we could've done better against Fulham, Southampton, West Ham, Newport, Cardiff, Everton etc. I just want to see a reaction to negative results and patterns that occur over and over again. I don't even care if he doesn't fix the system immediately but to repeat the same thing over and over and expect different results, well that's just crazy!

When we play defensively its Puel's fault.  When we play attacking its down to the players doing what they want

When we fail to be a bit more defensive in the last minutes against Wolves its Puel's fault for the players not listening to him telling them to be more defensive.

Sigh.

And if you watched Puel on the touchline when we lost against Wolves and in the post-match interview, haunted exactly describes how he looked.  He looked like we all felt

10 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Don't see how it's not a fair comparison in terms of context....

Puel took over pretty much our most successful ever side who'd just finished 12th.....selling their best player the year before.

Taylor took over a side who had sold one of their best players then sold another six months later. 

Yes they'd had more consistency under O'Neill but the squad Puel got was a darn more talented than the squad Taylor got, and that's not even to say how aged thay squad was.

Yes he's done a better job than Taylor in the second season, but in the first despite finishing 13th he got one more point than Puel and the season tailed off in a very similar manner.

The way this season is going i dont think we will get more points than last year.

They've done very little to prove that's the case position wise. Us going into the bottom three twice under two managers shows that it was hardly a bed of roses that Puel was inheriting. It might be more talented, but then so is every other team around us because of the money in the prem now, so it's all relative.

Taylor completely dismantled the team and results dropped off a cliff (2 wins in 18). Yes performances have been sketchy and results up and down under Puel, but we've stayed an average midtable team. Just looking at win percentages is pointless when Taylor's reign was massively top heavy in terms of results before the bottom fell out the more influence he had.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

And if you watched Puel on the touchline when we lost against Wolves and in the post-match interview, haunted exactly describes how he looked.  He looked like we all felt

I’ve watched him become more animated in recent times but I’m uncertain if that’s a sudden display of pashun (which would be a bit contrived) I am actually wondering if it’s an outburst of emotion because his job is hanging by a thread.

• Like 1

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

I’ve watched him become more animated in recent times but I’m uncertain if that’s a sudden display of pashun (which would be a bit contrived) I am actually wondering if it’s an outburst of emotion because his job is hanging by a thread.

He's been giving passionate displays all the time since being here.  Maybe a bit more recently.

Remember him celebrating Diabate scoring a goal in the cup?

11 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Done a quick translation for you guys:

Interviewer: According to bookies you're a big favourite for the sack, you're the least secure Premier League manager according to them, how do you..-

Claude: Since the beginning of the season, yes

I: Since the beginning of the season ...[I literally have no idea what he's saying here but it's not important anyway]... how do you explain that because being 9th... to us it seems like a good result for a team like Leicester?"

C: We finished the first half of the season in 7th behind the big 6, quarter finalists eliminated on pens against Man City, but there's a particular atmosphere around the club... I think since the club won the league... there's a disparity, I think, between the genuine capabilities of the club & team and the very, very high expectations.  We move on very quickly from victories to defeats where the emotions are suddenly at complete odds...

I: And yet here in Southern Europe we'd think you're bossing it at Leicester...

C: Well there's certainly a lot of pressure at this club, but I have to take that into consideration, deal with it, and maintain a certain emotional stability for the players, the staff and myself.

Very good translation, although not 100% accurate.

The "Southern Europe" bit was a reference by the TV show host with regards to the bookkeepers putting Puel as a favourite of getting the sack, even if we're currently in 9th place - "something you'd come to expect in Southern Europe" (in Spain or Greece, for instance).

38 minutes ago, Simoken said:

are you serious?? so if someone complained directly at you for weeks on end and receiving insults on how you dont show emotion or can speak clear english, you wouldnt be entitled to come back with comments? get ****ing real you would jump on it and hit back. In my view hes done a solid job and the players should be the target of blame.

That's not what I was saying, was it?

The major part of the criticism aimed at Puel stems from the fact that the football on show is mostly dire, we approach matches with a defensive mindset, often give games away early in the first half and are then forced to chase after an equalizer or catching up, personnel choices are strange to say the least, backwards and sideways passing galore, and we are now on a three-game losing streak, shades of last season when we threw the second half of the campaign away, missing out on 7th place. We try to play it safe, but the tactics only partially work. Add to that the two cup exits after putting up little fight in the FA Cup especially.

Mentality-wise, I see big problems within this squad and coupled with Puel's stubbornness, I wonder when there will be a way out of this minor mess.

Judging from his statements in the Canal+ interview, I think he's underestimated or still underestimates the shift in playing style in the Premier League compared to Ligue 1. You have a lot less time on the ball here, refereeing is different, the quality of teams and individual players from another planet almost. Puel does still have difficulties adapting, and it shows.

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

That's not what I was saying, was it?

The major part of the criticism aimed at Puel stems from the fact that the football on show is mostly dire, we approach matches with a defensive mindset, often give games away early in the first half and are then forced to chase after an equalizer or catching up, personnel choices are strange to say the least, backwards and sideways passing galore, and we are now on a three-game losing streak, shades of last season when we threw the second half of the campaign away, missing out on 7th place. We try to play it safe, but the tactics only partially work. Add to that the two cup exits after putting up little fight in the FA Cup especially.

Mentality-wise, I see big problems within this squad and coupled with Puel's stubbornness, I wonder when there will be a way out of this minor mess.

Judging from his statements in the Canal+ interview, I think he's underestimated or still underestimates the shift in playing style in the Premier League compared to Ligue 1. You have a lot less time on the ball here, refereeing is different, the quality of teams and individual players from another planet almost. Puel does still have difficulties adapting, and it shows.

:appl:

17 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Very good translation, although not 100% accurate.

The "Southern Europe" bit was a reference by the TV show host with regards to the bookkeepers putting Puel as a favourite of getting the sack, even if we're currently in 9th place - "something you'd come to expect in Southern Europe" (in Spain or Greece, for instance).

Ah ok, maybe I'm hearing it wrong then because it sounds to me like he's saying "parce qu'on imagine en Sud Europe vous menez a Leicester" which to me kinda means the opposite :D Not my first language though so I'll defer to your knowledge.

20 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

When we play defensively its Puel's fault.  When we play attacking its down to the players doing what they want

When we fail to be a bit more defensive in the last minutes against Wolves its Puel's fault for the players not listening to him telling them to be more defensive.

Sigh.

He has looked more empassioned recently but he doesn't seem to care so much in this interview, or at least he doesn't seem to want to understand or empthaise with fans with regards to their frustration after some of the losses. 

It's not that it is always Puel's fault irrespective of what happens, as you are taking me to suggest. I was initially responding to the comment that the players are clearly listening to him. My retort was simply that if they are really listening to him, then they are either executing what he is saying so poorly that there must be a disconnect, or that they are executing what he is saying and that's why the problems ensue. Either way it's not desirable.

Remember, this isn't a one or two game thing, we are talking about team selections, tactics and negative patterns that have become apparent over the course of a year and spanning two seasons. A defensive mistake, or missed scoring opportunity here and there can be attributed to individual error but the problems appear to be more pathological than that. They are recurrent in some instances and he doesn't seem to think that there is anything to rectify. Why do we start games so switched off for instance and why hasn't this been addressed yet? Why does Morgan still start every game even when everyone knows he's finished at the very top level and even though we spent around £40m on new centre backs? Why does he persist with the Mendy & Ndidi pairing even though it has shown to be incredibly limited, time and time again? Some of the tinkering has also been questionable too. 

I still think Puel should get until the Summer and I do appreciate some of the things he is trying to do, I'm just not sure if he is the man to take us forward over the next 2/3 years. 

1 minute ago, oadby.fox said:

He has looked more empassioned recently but he doesn't seem to care so much in this interview, or at least he doesn't seem to want to understand or empthaise with fans with regards to their frustration after some of the losses. 

It's not that it is always Puel's fault irrespective of what happens, as you are taking me to suggest. I was initially responding to the comment that the players are clearly listening to him. My retort was simply that if they are really listening to him, then they are either executing what he is saying so poorly that there must be a disconnect, or that they are executing what he is saying and that's why the problems ensue. Either way it's not desirable.

Remember, this isn't a one or two game thing, we are talking about team selections, tactics and negative patterns that have become apparent over the course of a year and spanning two seasons. A defensive mistake, or missed scoring opportunity here and there can be attributed to individual error but the problems appear to be more pathological than that. They are recurrent in some instances and he doesn't seem to think that there is anything to rectify. Why do we start games so switched off for instance and why hasn't this been addressed yet? Why does Morgan still start every game even when everyone knows he's finished at the very top level and even though we spent around £40m on new centre backs? Why does he persist with the Mendy & Ndidi pairing even though it has shown to be incredibly limited, time and time again? Some of the tinkering has also been questionable too. 

I still think Puel should get until the Summer and I do appreciate some of the things he is trying to do, I'm just not sure if he is the man to take us forward over the next 2/3 years. 

He absolutely is trying to address this.  Tanner reported they run kick-off drills.  Individuals within the team may not be repsonding to this, but we cant say Puel isnt trying

I agree he deserves at least until the summer.  Depending on how the rest of the season goes its possible he could deserve being with us next season.  He has earned the right for us to reserve judgement for now, imo

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

He absolutely is trying to address this.  Tanner reported they run kick-off drills.  Individuals within the team may not be repsonding to this, but we cant say Puel isnt trying

I agree he deserves at least until the summer.  Depending on how the rest of the season goes its possible he could deserve being with us next season.  He has earned the right for us to reserve judgement for now, imo

Puel has been dismayed by the a number of things since he joined. Poor starts being the main one but there is also the lack of intensity. He often goes ape shit on the sidelines when we don't move the ball quickly enough.

But that is my major concern with him. He's known of these issues for roughly a year and yet he doesn't seem capable of fixing them. What I find even more alarming is the fact that before he arrived we were the kings of the high intensity, high pressing strong starts, especially at home. Yet he seems incapable of getting the squad to do it now. I don't even think it should be something that is that difficult to achieve.

Just now, Ricey said:

Puel has been dismayed by the a number of things since he joined. Poor starts being the main one but there is also the lack of intensity. He often goes ape shit on the sidelines when we don't move the ball quickly enough.

But that is my major concern with him. He's known of these issues for roughly a year and yet he doesn't seem capable of fixing them. What I find even more alarming is the fact that before he arrived we were the kings of the high intensity, high pressing strong starts, especially at home. Yet he seems incapable of getting the squad to do it now. I don't even think it should be something that is that difficult to achieve.

We were not some effective pressing team before he came.  Only when the players can really be bothered or if there is some special event.

Puel is trying to fix these issues.  Sarri came flat out and said its tough to motivate his Chelsea players.  Our players dont get themselves up for anything but the big games.  Its possible, only possible I say, that its a personality issue with individuals

There is just not enough evidence for absolving these players of the blame as far as I can tell

The players certainly to blame for a lot of the recent problems and it's just daft blaming Puel all of the time.

It wasn't his fault Mandy made key mistakes in recent games or Gray and Simpson on Saturday. ( who many have been calling for to be included in the team. ) Now what do they think should happen. Sack the manager, Disgraceful, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

What s happening now is the worst thing that could happen. That's the Manager being side tracked by silly gossip and trying to justify himself. He needs to be let get on with the job and then be judged in the Summer. Otherwise it could turn very quickly and we could be fighting relegation. That's how small the Margins are.

14 hours ago, foxile5 said:

He's correct but I don't think a large segment of our clubs fans have the self awareness to acknowledge it. 

It’s no coincidence two sets of fans wanted him out for being  over

10th in the league.

that speaks volumes about his style rather than one set of fans 

10 hours ago, Toddybad said:

A section of our fans have done nothing but moan since the minute he turned up. I'm genuinely left wondering if they're happy that we're having a difficult spell as they can point to their previous moans and roll their eyes. Our fans are currently the biggest problem with this club. 

At any football club there will be fans who bemoan an appointment, you only have to read everyone arguing about who the next manager should be when a club is searching. Sadly, the manager often has to win over fans but for whatever reason it has been very difficult to get behind Puel. I was actually what felt like one of the few fans on here that thought Puel would be a shrewd appointment here, I could bore you with digging up the posts if you want me to. However, it has all felt odd for the majority of his time here. I can't really put my finger on it but it ties in with there being zero bond between manager and fans. You can argue that it either doesn't matter or it's the fans fault for not taking to him but ultimately you have to get the fans on side to survive. Fans might be a hinderance at times but the one constant is this is their club and they will be here long after any manager however long or short their reign is. The man seems to only show that gallic fire when he's being backed in to a corner, maybe if he could have translated some of it across to the fans early on in a positive manner, he'd have got some sort of connection.

9 hours ago, knitro said:

This such a monumentally awful perspective and so disheartening to see that it's popular here. Say what you will about the Puel out crowd (and there's a lot to say, very little positive), but they certainly are a unified front, dutifully liking each others brain dead hot takes.

Get fans on side??? What's he need to do?? There's no pleasing you people because you already have your mind made up. What was beating Man City and Chelsea soundly? What is letting home grown local players flourish in the starting 11? What was handling a club-defining tragedy with grace and poise? What is being smart in the transfer market and spending the money as if it was his own for the club's long term benefit - you're probably the type who'd like us to sign some overpriced flop just because it was 'doing something'. From the general tenor of your post, it's clear at this point he could do nothing to win you over, yet you think that it strengthens your argument when you interpret every action he takes in the worst possible light.

We did get to penalties with Man City, arguably one of the greatest teams ever assembled - several players took indefensible penalties (Claude's fault of course). The Newport game, the team on the field should've won, period. Why are they paying any of the bottom half of the roster if they can't dispatch a league 2 side? (Claude recruited all that dross, I forgot). I don't think you could argue either game was 'disregarding the cups'? What, cause Vardy didn't play? He's 31 and has a reoccurring injury! 

If you think the environment is soulless - how about you look inward. Get off your duff and do something if you think the atmosphere is miserable - what, did you clapper break? I forgot Puel wanted you to boo our young players who are underperforming that'll help. 

Your ilk says he shows no emotion and is boring and then when he pushes back against the boo birds, now you're seething? what a childish blowhard you are. 

I have some issues with Puel but there's so many bad faith, poorly formed arguments against him I constantly find myself defending him. Get a grip. This is a team in transition, there's going to be growing pains. We probably have 10 problems, 7 of which predate Puel or are beyond his control. Continuity is the only thing which will see us through to the other side. You offer one solution to this myriad of problems - sack Claude! Must be great living in such a simple world. 

The fact some of you would rather lose 'fun' than play to our limited strengths tells me all I need to know about your sporting acumen - missing the forest for the trees. Last game was fun right? Yeah I still prefer the Everton match. Humour me this - what percentage of blame do you assign the players for the failings of this team to beat teams they 'should'? ' A half dozen aging vets seem to be the commonality in our last three managers downfalls, but I don't hear you calling for their heads. Oh right "He's the manager, he needs to blah blah blah"

It's like arguing with a wall.         

Perhaps it's popular because the fans haven't taken to him, rightly or wrongly it's likely to be what's driving this vitriol. I can happily point to the things Puel has done to improve aspects of this club, which I have stated on numerous occasions. As I've mentioned above, I was one of a select few who thought he would be a good appointment due to his track record with improving younger players. However, there is something missing, it might be misplaced by the fans but there is a growing consensus that he is destroying the energy and vibrance at our club. It's just so laborious and I can't remember feeling this disconnect given our league status right now isn't in jeopardy, and that's alarming. It isn't because I expect to be top 6, not at all. The gulf between the top 6 and the rest is something we should aspire to get to long term but we are far from there and the rest is a much of a muchness. The difference between 7th and 13th is likely to come down to a couple of results over the course of the season, so much so that if league position was the defining factor we could be all queuing up to nosh Claude off with a couple of games to go, then lose the last few drop to 13th and then form a queue to do him over the head with a tin of beans. The league position is not the driving factor, it's the horrific football, the bizarre rotation, the complete disregard for cup competitions (especially the team selections in the latter stages), the desire for possession football but after over a year still not signing or utilizing the players to do this. Jamie Vardy is often a passenger in this team, has age caught up with him? Is he too limited to play anything other than counter attacking football? Or is Puel just not getting the best out of one of the most lethal strikers in the league?

He is also to blame for not solving the central midfield problem, he's not signed a single central midfielder or a striker for that matter. He is busy getting rid of every other option in both areas though and yet it is painfully clear how a lot of our problems stem from the inability of our midfield in breaking the lines and this results in the opposition being able to set their lines of defence and squeeze the play out wide where invariably a cross will come in to only one player in the box, which is usually Vardy who for all his exceptional talents has never been that prolific at attacking crosses. It is so predictable at home, that is why for a year now we have struggled time and time again. Most fans only get to see us at home games and the displays have been nothing short of horrible, it's going to build unrest. Couple that with Puel's inability to connect with the fans and it's easy to see why this revolt is happening. Do not underestimate the importance of being able to bond with the fans.

Don't even try and excuse that cup game vs Man City as some sort of brave defeat against one of the worlds finest. Man City were depleted and it was a rare chink in their armour, so what did we do? Go and try and level the playing field by leaving our only source of goals out of the matchday squad and the only real provider in Maddison on the bench. It was a huge error of judgement and you'd think he would have learnt after the two exits at the same stage last season. Yet he spouts off on French TV that our aspirations are too high? Is he for real? We shouldn't want to give ourselves the best chance of progressing through to the semis and the final of a cup, the actual real chance of success for us in the immediate future. How dare we do that.

As for your last questions, the players do need to take a lot of the blame for the in game decision making. I try and weigh this up between the lack of experience which will bring inconsistency, under performance and whether they are clear in the instructions they've been given. It does at times seem like that aren't on the same page as Puel, sadly it's the manager that has to find the ingredients to evoke this correctly. I simply cannot accept that it's bad luck why we start games so poorly and gift teams the lead, there is something very concerning about their preparation before the games. Is Puel failing to communicate and motivate at a crucial time before games? Are the players letting him down? The common denominator amongst a lot of this though appears to be the breakdown in instructions, Puel certainly wouldn't be asking them to do what they are doing but this seems to be his biggest failure for me and it ties in with his inability to rouse any form of support from our fans towards him. I wish it was different, he's got some very good attributes and principles but I don't see how he'll be a success here.

22 minutes ago, Ricey said:

This is my biggest concern too.

His defenders use the excuse that he says he knows whats wrong and he's working on them but on the flip side he's been saying the same things for a long time now and apparently working on them just as long. The concern is that he is working on them and hes actually gone backwards if anything showing that he really doesn't have a clue how to fix it or what he says is lip service to deflect from the deficiencies in his system and methods.

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

It’s no coincidence two sets of fans wanted him out for being  over

10th in the league.

that speaks volumes about his style rather than one set of fans 

That's true. Though neither set have been that willing to see his plan through. 

I'm viewing this from the perspective that the football is boring now but won't be in the future. Maybe I'm more patient. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He is also to blame for not solving the central midfield problem, he's not signed a single central midfielder or a striker for that matter.

I cant see how we can blame him for this.  We have loads of CMDs, we could not possibly buy any more without selling.

Sorry Ric but there is just no way you can blame him for that

Same with the striker situation.  We have spent, what, about 60 million on 2 strikers that are nowhere near the 1st team atm and still on the books?   How is Puel to blame for that seeing as he signed neither of them?

These 2 issues are 2 of the core issues to our attacking problems and Puel is not to blame in any way for either of them

14 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Claude Puel on his future at Leicester: “There is a gap between the club’s capabilities & the very high expectations.”

Speaking on Canal Football Club this evening, Leicester City boss Claude Puel was asked about increasing media speculation that suggests that his job is in grave danger.

“We finished the 1st half of the season sitting in 7th place, just behind the six biggest teams. In the cup we were eliminated on penalties by Manchester City, but there is still quite a unique environment around the team since they won the title. I think there is a gap between the genuine capabilities of this team and the expectations which are very big. This brings about the fact that we go from a win to a defeat with vastly different sentiments. You have to take it into consideration and just deal with it, whilst maintaining a certain emotional stability for the players, the staff and myself.”

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/claude-puel-on-his-future-at-leicester-there-is-a-gap-between-the-clubs-capabilities-the-very-high-expectations/

No mention of the FA Cup or league defeats since Game 19 (halfway) but there again they are negatives so you wouldn't expect him to mention it.

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I cant see how we can blame him for this.  We have loads of CMDs, we could not possibly buy any more without selling.

Sorry Ric but there is just no way you can blame him for that

Same with the striker situation.  We have spent, what, about 60 million on 2 strikers that are nowhere near the 1st team atm and still on the books?   How is Puel to blame for that seeing as he signed neither of them?

These 2 issues are 2 of the core issues to our attacking problems and Puel is not to blame in any way for either of them

He's had 3 windows to solve at least the striker issue. I'll admit with the amount of CMs we have on the books it would be more difficult to bring in without selling in that position. However he's managed to ship out strikers either on loan or permanent but he's not brought in adequate cover/competition and that is on him.

Just now, Dames said:

He's had 3 windows to solve at least the striker issue. I'll admit with the amount of CMs we have on the books it would be more difficult to bring in without selling in that position. However he's managed to ship out strikers either on loan or permanent but he's not brought in adequate cover/competition and that is on him.

Those 3 windos include only one summer window.  And we have been unable to sell Slimani in any of them.

Plus towards the end of last season Iheanacho looked to be kicking on

We cant just continue to throw millions away on strikers willy nilly.  We need a sustainable long term plan thats effective