Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Claude Puel defends his Leicester City record

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He's right in terms of the gap between "genuine capabilities of this team and the expectations which are very big". 

It's just how he plays and sets us up at home. It's so frustrating. Far too defensive at home especially and inconsistency with team selection.

5 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

I agree with him, we are a mid table side, but do we have to be a negative boring mid table side

You both make a fair point.

I think that he's obsessed with steadying the ship and consolidate the club's position in the top 10 no matter what, since the purse strings are tightened by the new training ground and the expansion. And if it comes at the cost of the entertainment so be it, because the long term gains are much bigger than the "dull, boring" football we're served at the moment.

He seems to very much assume this ungrateful role and is ready to go with it until the bitter end. However you can feel that the constant and largely unjustified pressure for a club of our actual stature, is starting to take its toll on him. He's in a no win situation where the only thing he can do is delaying his own sacking, and there is no way out no matter what he tries. I presume he went for the win against the Wolves and didn't use the 4-3-3 with 3 defensive midfielders, which served us well in the away games, just because of that. 

I expect a clear statement from the board in the coming weeks, because either way it can't go on like this. Not only him but also the staff and the players are put under pressure and it affects the overall performance of the team on the pitch.

Edited by That_Dude

I just think it's hard to even tell what we want to do tactically when we concede SO MANY early goals. I'm not absolving Puel's role in our poor starts but like say what you will about those rough Friday practices or whatever the Pueloutters are blaming for our lacklustre starts but I imagine 3 CDMs would seem far less negative if we were sitting on a lead and saw teams opened up for the counter because they were chasing the game for a change.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, knitro said:

Yet you think that it strengthens your argument when you interpret every action he takes in the worst possible light.

I have some issues with Puel but there's so many bad faith, poorly formed arguments against him I constantly find myself defending him.

Hallelujah

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

Could it not be possible that his contract is based on league position and not cup results with a remit to focus more on the league? 

Wow, at last somebody gets it. A medal for you sir . This, is, was and will always be the remit until we cement that top 6/7th spot. Once we are comfortably there we will have a crack at winning the F.A cup.

Edited by Gwyn
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, splinterdream said:

you couldn't explain to me why he plays with 2/3 defensive midfielders against fulham/cardiff at home could you, and why does he keep rotating the back 4?

Hi there.  Not knowing the man, and having never met him then, no, I couldn't tell you why he does anything he does.  I can tell you that I understand your frustration and that I understand why some people want him out but all I can say is that it is my opinion that I feel he is halfway through overhauling our squad and  playing style and that I am willing to give him time to complete this task before I feel a decision should be made on removing him.  For me, the fact that we are 9th (still one of our highest 10% of top flight finishes in the history of our club should it stay that way) whilst he is trying to move on older players and play a more possession based style of football suggests that, whilst I understand some people's frustrations, things are objectively not as bad as some posters think.  The fact that we also have one of the youngest squads in the league strengthens my feeling that we should give him a little more time.

Having said all of that, I fully support people's right to suggest he should go, just as you should support mine to state he should stay.  My only gripe (not at you but at certain "Puel Out" folk) is that often their posts regarding getting rid of him are not backed up with any facts or reasoned at all.  In terms of "boring Puel" or "tippy tappy football", I disagree but I can see why some people don't like it so cannot really challenge.  I just don't like the "Sack him, go back to France" stuff that some posters insist upon.

X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Albrightons brain fart yea that’s his fault. I mean you just don’t do that but we were ****ing woeful that game. Cardiff poor. Southampton. Poor. Wolves every time we pulled it back we reverted back to the sideways negative poor football. Everton was awful. Fortunately so were they and it was a bad game of football but we were very very fortunate to win that. 

Man City we obviously were never going to be seeing a lot of the ball that game so we weren’t playing the usual game style and that was brilliant. Aguero himself missed 2 absolute sitters but you’ll always need luck to beat them. 

Chelsea was absolutely a fluke, I mean we were absolutely battered until we scored. Then had a really good 10 mins on the front foot before going back to the battering. If it wasn’t for the fact we beat Man City and Chelsea would you have said they were exciting games?? 

@AlloverthefloorYesNdidi I just read what you quoted back and the last part came across way more aggressive than it was ment. Not trying to be a dick lol sorry man

Didnt think you were being a dick mate, not above the minimum requirement for FT anyway :scarf:

• Haha 1

Puels recent post match interview on sky really was a strange one. For the first time since he was here i saw him phased by a loss, looking frustrated and stressed, he couldnt even look at the man in the eyes when answering, he was all over the place emotionally. I think we need to be very careful what we wish for because we have no idea what it could bring if he ends up being sacked. I hope he does stay because he can get a reaction out of our players = they listen and want to play undetr him clearly, If you believe of these bs talks of player unrest in the dressing room.. well you are quite niave or you are so deluded that you wish it to be true.

My point being, I dont think its his fault. Its down to the players!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

Peter Taylor

Leicester City England June 2000 September 2001 54 19 9 26 35.19

Claude Puel

Leicester City 25 October 2017 Present 63 23 17 23 36.5

After the next 3 games win rate will be almost the same, Taylor was the most hated manger in our club, Puel is not far behind

I'll say it again, this is such a ridiculous comparison. The starting points are completely different for starters, Peter Taylor took over a solid top 10 team who'd just won a cup and was in Europe. Puel took over a team that had just sacked two managers in 18 months for being in the bottom three.

Most of Talyor's wins came at the start of his reign before he started to dismantle it, leading to us eventually only winning two of his last 18 games. Puel's results have been fairly steady though out, keeping us midtable all throughout his reign so far.

As yourself this... which is better and which would you prefer. A manager who has a great start and gets you top of the table for a few months, but ultimately gets you relegated. Or a manager whose wins are spread out over his reign, keeping us safely midtable?

• Like 4

Just now, Simoken said:

For the first time since he was here i saw him phased by a loss, looking frustrated and stressed, he couldnt even look at the man in the eyes when answering, he was all over the place emotionally.

I think that game was enough to do that to anyone lol

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think that game was enough to do that to anyone lol

haha true that, but for Puel being the man he is i was quite surprised he did show that side of him. Once a manager shows this kind of frailty in an interview then you know something has been said to him from his superiors at the club about 2nd half expectations. I feel sorry for him, hes got a seriously difficult job on his hands and the majority of our fickle fans are not helping him, infact your making the club worse off. support the man! bitching and moaning never gets results... just a sacked manager. and back to square one.

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 3

I have no problem with the manager going on television or giving interviews in the press.

It's the timing that doesn't feel right.

We've just lost the third game in a row, the fourth loss in five matches, out in both cups after showing little fight, seemingly letting 7th place slip away once more,  we've seen the new year start with turgid football (just like last year), performances have been mostly dire, the football on show is forgettable at times. The fear is that we'll end this season the way we did a year before.

Personally, I'd rather he didn't do media appearances right now, I wish he didn't come out with statements that go against his team's own fans or could be misinterpreted as such.

Part of it still boils down to his rather poor grasp of English, he can't express himself clearly enough. In these cases, he should follow Sarri's example and talk in his mother tongue, relying on a translator.

If he's talking about "expectations", I'm pretty sure it's got little to nothing to do with the fans' expectations, because they aren't high. He doesn't know what the fans think, he doesn't care (he's said as such). I can only presume he's alluding to what the owners have set as targets. But even then, it all remains pretty vague. He doesn't go in any further detail.

I share the notion that it comes across as desperate on the one hand, with him trying to save his face in times of crisis, and on the other hand, putting most of the blame, if not all of it, on others. I have yet to read an interview or see an interview on television where he takes responsibility for the team's failures. It would make him much more sympathetic if he could admit his own mistakes. It all adds to his public perception of the arrogant Frenchman, further cementing that image.

Edited by MC Prussian

6 minutes ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

Peter Taylor

Leicester City England June 2000 September 2001 54 19 9 26 35.19

Claude Puel

Leicester City 25 October 2017 Present 63 23 17 23 36.5

After the next 3 games win rate will be almost the same, Taylor was the most hated manger in our club, Puel is not far behind

Tbf the Premier league has changed at a staggering rate since Peter Taylor's reign, so I don't think they can be judged 1to1. Also we were up and down like my nans knickers in them days.

Our owner's don't really know the prestige of the F.A cup, but they know all about the glitz and glamour of the Premier league, and they also know how hard it is to get promoted to this league. 

Not sure if that makes sense cos I've had a few but oh well I've wasted many hours of my life reading drivell on this forum ???

Puel - Round 23 2017-2018 - 31Pts

Puel - Round 23 2018-2019 - 31Pts

Martin O'Neill - Round 23 1999-2000 - 31Pts

Martin O'Neill - Round 23 1998-1999 - 30Pts

Taylor - Round 23 2000-2001 - 35Pts - BEST MANAGER EVER BEHIND RANIERI

Taylor - Round 23 2001-2002 - 17Pts - Oh Shit

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

If he's talking about "expectations", I'm pretty sure it's got little to nothing to do with the fans' expectations, because they aren't high. He doesn't know what the fans think, he doesn't care (he's said as such). I can only presume he's alluding to what the owners have set as targets. But even then, it all remains pretty vague. He doesn't go in any further detail

He's referring to press who constantly ask if anything but 7th is a failure.... and he's probably read this board. lol

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I have no problem with the manager going on television or giving interviews in the press.

It's the timing that doesn't feel right.

We've just lost the third game in a row, the fourth loss in five matches, out in both cups after showing little fight, seemingly letting 7th place slip away once more,  we've seen the new year start with turgid football (just like last year), performances have been mostly dire, the football on show is forgettable at times. The fear is that we'll end this season the way we did a year before.

Personally, I'd rather he didn't do media appearances right now, I wish he didn't come out with statements that go against his team's own fans or could be misinterpreted as such.

Part of it still boils down to his rather poor grasp of English, he can't express himself clearly enough. In these cases, he should follow Sarri's example and talk in his mother tongue, relying on a translator.

If he's talking about "expectations", I'm pretty sure it's got little to nothing to do with the fans' expectations, because they aren't high. He doesn't know what the fans think, he doesn't care (he's said as such). I can only presume he's alluding to what the owners have set as targets. But even then, it all remains pretty vague. He doesn't go in any further detail.

I share the notion that it comes across as desperate on the one hand, with him trying to save his face in times of crisis, and on the other hand, putting most of the blame, if not all of it, on others. I have yet to read an interview or see an interview on television where he takes responsibility for the team's failures. It would make him much more sympathetic if he could admit his own mistakes. It all adds to his public perception of the arrogant Frenchman, further cementing that image.

In your view it does.  Thats not my view and I imagine not everyone's view.

• Like 3

The show is available in full online:

https://www.mycanal.fr/sport/canal-football-club-1-re-partie/h/6364813_50001 (Part One)

https://www.mycanal.fr/sport/canal-football-club-2-e-partie/h/6364814_50001 (Part Two)

Puel is asked about his spell at Lyon starting at 25:48 in the second half of the show. Lasts until 28:45 approx.

Claude Puel on Leicester City starting at 38:25 in the second half of the show. End at 42:51.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

are you serious?? so if someone complained directly at you for weeks on end and receiving insults on how you dont show emotion or can speak clear english, you wouldnt be entitled to come back with comments? get ****ing real you would jump on it and hit back. In my view hes done a solid job and the players should be the target of blame.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'll say it again, this is such a ridiculous comparison. The starting points are completely different for starters, Peter Taylor took over a solid top 10 team who'd just won a cup and was in Europe. Puel took over a team that had just sacked two managers in 18 months for being in the bottom three.

Most of Talyor's wins came at the start of his reign before he started to dismantle it, leading to us eventually only winning two of his last 18 games. Puel's results have been fairly steady though out, keeping us midtable all throughout his reign so far.

As yourself this... which is better and which would you prefer. A manager who has a great start and gets you top of the table for a few months, but ultimately gets you relegated. Or a manager whose wins are spread out over his reign, keeping us safely midtable?

Don't see how it's not a fair comparison in terms of context....

Puel took over pretty much our most successful ever side who'd just finished 12th.....selling their best player the year before.

Taylor took over a side who had sold one of their best players then sold another six months later. 

Yes they'd had more consistency under O'Neill but the squad Puel got was a darn more talented than the squad Taylor got, and that's not even to say how aged thay squad was.

Yes he's done a better job than Taylor in the second season, but in the first despite finishing 13th he got one more point than Puel and the season tailed off in a very similar manner.

The way this season is going i dont think we will get more points than last year.

This having to justify oneself to the media and the supporters, now on a frequent basis, is generally the sign of a manager who knows things are getting out of their control.

And this is all bull-shite anyway.

No-one expects us to achieve what we did, or to get anywhere near it. We pretty much all know we aren’t a top four side.

But top 6/7 in this division IS realistic. The standard outside the top echelon is pretty average at the moment and anyone can beat anyone else on their day.

We aren’t expecting another miracle, just to see some clear plan, players performing consistently AND making a real fist of the cups.

Is THAT too much to ask? I don’t think so.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Puels recent post match interview on sky really was a strange one. For the first time since he was here i saw him phased by a loss, looking frustrated and stressed, he couldnt even look at the man in the eyes when answering, he was all over the place emotionally. I think we need to be very careful what we wish for because we have no idea what it could bring if he ends up being sacked. I hope he does stay because he can get a reaction out of our players = they listen and want to play undetr him clearly, If you believe of these bs talks of player unrest in the dressing room.. well you are quite niave or you are so deluded that you wish it to be true.

My point being, I dont think its his fault. Its down to the players!!

Do they really though? We can't read minds but it doesn't seem like the players are doing what he wants them to do when they defend like they did against Wolves, or like they did against Southampton. Does Puel also want us to concede first in so many games? If he does then that's insane and if he doesn't then there clearly is some kind of disconnect with the squad, as we have had these problems for over a year now. So either the players don't listen to him or they do, and because they listen to him these things happen.

Whilst I agree with Puel and others in the sense that our expectations have to be calibrated by the reality we find ourselves in, I don't find his tone in this interview particularly endearing. You want your manager to be highly competitive and for each loss to haunt him, like it does for so many travelling fans. Making excuses for losing games, and losing games in such a poor way isn't a great attitude to have and that lack of care could easily filter down to the players and effect their in game mentality. It's not about being in the top 6, or in the mix for a champions league spot (even though both wouldn't have been technically impossible). It's about learning from the mistakes you've already made 10 times and working hard to improve. Coming out and saying we should lower our expectations is so defeatist. Is it that our squad is so terrible that we can't expect to always compete against teams below or around us? I think that we could've done better against Fulham, Southampton, West Ham, Newport, Cardiff, Everton etc. I just want to see a reaction to negative results and patterns that occur over and over again. I don't even care if he doesn't fix the system immediately but to repeat the same thing over and over and expect different results, well that's just crazy!