Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Claude Puel defends his Leicester City record

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's done absolutely fcuk all to try and get the fans on side and this is now the 2nd or 3rd time he's started spouting off.

Does he really think our fans havent taken to him because we expect to be in the top 6? It just shows how out of touch he is, we havent taken to him because of the God awful football, the soulless environment he's building and the complete lack of energy. Also his complete disregard for cup competitions and then he has the cheek to use the narrow penalty shootout defeat as evidence that he's doing his but but expectations are blowing things out of proportion. Dont treat us like fcukin morons then you little herbert.

I'm absolutely seething at this. 

I think he knows he is a dead man walking.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That he gets to the end of the season, unless there is a huge slide down the table and we reassess our options then based on a full season and what progress, if any, has been made.

The club also need to look at it from different angles. For all we know there is no money to spend, if that's the case I'd rather stick with an average Puel than bringing in someone who is going to want to have money to spend and want to change the squad around again.

There is a big squad transition going on and that could get vastly more complicated by switching managers.

In fantasy football world I'd like a new manager, playing better football, finishing top 10 minimum with loads of money to spend. But it's not a fantasy world and until we've got the training ground paid for, a boring safe pair of hands might appeal to the club.

Do you think we will finish in the top half this season Babs? 

I think we are seeing the start of a slide personally. Not one that can see us in any danger of relegation of course, but it's worrying. 

We are 4 defeats in 5 and could very well lose our next 3 also. 

32 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Sorry, where did I say this was explicitly referring to the players?

It’s clear to see that our fans and manager have zero connect: that is a lack of togetherness.

So no need for anyone to get pissed off unless they start to read into it more than that.

I don't see how togetherness with fans won us the league. So I can only presume you meant players. Especially as that bond was long gone the second season under Ranieri looking like we were going down, so that's not all in Puel.

We were happy because we were winning, there as no mythical bond between us all. Not in my eyes anyway.

He has a point about the unrealistic expectations, but I don't think he should be sinking that ship so readily. I understand he must be frustrated though. He was furious about that winner for Wolves yesterday, and that's entirely fair.

I actually wonder whether he's talking more about the dressing room than the fan expectations, perhaps? You'd have to be an idiot to expect us to win enough games to get us top six. 7th is our target, not what we should be expecting or settling for - there's not 6 teams and us after all. Shock, horror, we have to play other teams to earn that slot. And we will be beaten, surprise surprise.

He's also doing a very good job bringing through our young players. However, the inconsistency of style and lack of creativity at home is a worry and what makes people question him.

• Like 2

People say it’s a result based business and that results should come before performances or entertainment value which I generally agree with. However big issues start to come to the fore when teams neither get the results or the performances as that’s when fans really start to grumble. I think that’s happening to us now. I keep hearing “it’s a results based business and Leicester are where everyone expects them to be as they’re not going to break into the top 6 so why are the fans complaining?”. However we simply aren’t picking up results at the moments. 5 defeats in the last 6 is not picking up results, especially when you look at the teams we’ve played in that time. The record is even worse over a matter of months when you take out the unexpected Chelsea and City wins, not that I’d encourage disregarding those. Even if positionally we are about where we should be now, we should definitely have more points on the board if you look at the ones we’ve thrown away or just not turned up to try and get. It’s not just a matter of style of play and entertainment value.

2 minutes ago, escos said:

I’m not saying we should be expecting to win it again, but wanting to push for Europe every year should not be laughed at like it is. Not saying we will challenge for it but we should try. If not, what’s the point?

But we do try..then some posters believe they are entitled to see more....

Posters con themselves with...:-

The league isn't has good as it used to be

Lower teams are crap/rubbish and we should always beat them...

We are better than them,

Wry and witty banter over the opposition ruined,and becomes gutter-tripe,because some posters actualyl believe we are better...

Nothing wrong in Ambitions,but when not reached,they are judged as expectations,when throwing out pompous critic!!

Players make mistakes,but posters some love nothing more than a pecking crusade

young Players have played both well,and avg in the same game...

then get judged on over analysed incidents..nano-seconds moments of play,but are judged crap

Team has played well in parts  this season,the poor rantings are OTT and boring!!

Team has created top chances in every or at least 95% of our games but have not converted...

Posters can't understand...i) expensive unused players,after they have misfired often ii) rebuilding,with finances tied because of those wasted buys!!

I won't deny our quality of performance level is very average,I don't mind the team nor Puel being criticised for it.But I believe we are having to pay

for all the inconsistencies until yesterday throughout our front 6,and those low conversion rates!!! Yesterday the defence had its worse day this season.

With the above,and injuries,we haven't been clinical,if early good chances had been taken,would have the performances improved..??

I knew after Ranieri,relegation could be a massive threat,with an aging squad,fring and 1st teamers,and we only had "potential" young players.

Plus even then our expensive buys were not hitting their strides...I

The defence didn't need,but had to be shored up.Youngsters had to be coaxed,and slowly introduced without too a high expectancy..

We then had 2 New buys in Iborra and Silva,(forget the 14sec farce and lost months) These 2 were going to be our base of midfield-experience,bought

before Puel...Nacho was going to be the slow but secure potential for our front line,Slimani given chances,but didn't cut it.The whole squad given chances,

very few have stood up to be counted,the potential youth still holding that potential,but not screaming out for automatic 1st team selection!!I

Then this season individuals no consistent form,and injuries really at the wrong time...!!!

Now for some,and even some good forum posters the following is just not good enough...

But for me,it's solid ,not without question,also with the normal football "with mistakes"'

But many positives,in football there are very few,especially when you are arrogantly feeling entitled on results and high performances..the following:-

We were desperate for a new Backline,with youth,experierence,and with some risk..Puel has given us what was longingly missed..a solid defence!!!

Periera/Evans many wanted ousted,are becoming  favourites..Chilwell The scourge of weak ,overexpecting,impatient posters,now an England International.

Maguire..became an International,though maybe because of a nagging injury,sometimes indifferent. Love his attacking moves,others don't like them..

Gray may have been here 4 years,but was young when he came. Blows not and cold,but what attacking Wback doesnt!!! Too many again impatient!!

Rekindled and got top performances,from...Amartey..Mendy..Simpson...W.Morgan. Agreed of late the last 3 have started to struggle,the last 2 probably

their swansong-season!! But Puel had the right to play them...Maddison slowly being introduced against some unknowledgable-unaware-posters opinions!!

the biggest mishap for the whole team is Ndidi,his basic needed football tech,has been missing.then the Failings of Silva and Iborra,That isn't of Puel's making!

after his 1st 18months, I will take this outsourcing/rebuild,/change/redevelopement of the possible catastrophe situation we was in...on his terms!!

He,!!!  No other imaginary-prefered manager,took this job on,and though frustrating,I will accept boring consolidation and successful slow changes

he has made ,with a full  season,of a mix of average  even boring games,needing 2-3transfer windows ,against any fly by night managers..

Prefered more games like yesterday obviously with opposite outcome!!

But yesterday the last 5 minute high-line,was the players doing..Puel gescillating for the Bline to fallback,and midfield to hold and take it easy...

Seen live,and on game-highlights...MOTD,I missed !!??

I have also my preferred selections..but not a real reason to ditch Puel or any manager...

1 minute ago, Stevosevic said:

Do you think we will finish in the top half this season Babs? 

I think we are seeing the start of a slide personally. Not one that can see us in any danger of relegation of course, but it's worrying. 

We are 4 defeats in 5 and could very well lose our next 3 also. 

Honestly I have no idea, we are not much different to Everton, Bournemouth, Wolves, etc. Win some you shouldn't, lose  some you shouldn't. Alright one week, trash the next.

I wouldn't be shocked to finish 7th, likewise I wouldn't be shocked to finish 11th. It's so close in there you are talking one missed chance being the difference between top and bottom half finish.

If we keep sliding and aren't in touch with that group still in 5 games, then he'll likely be gone then or in the summer.

I know we have some hard games, but those around us all play each other the next few weeks. So you might see one or two get a lead on us, but that will mean others don't as well.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

But we do try..then some posters believe they are entitled to see more....

Posters con themselves with...:-

The league isn't has good as it used to be

Lower teams are crap/rubbish and we should always beat them...

We are better than them,

Wry and witty banter over the opposition ruined,and becomes gutter-tripe,because some posters actualyl believe we are better...

Nothing wrong in Ambitions,but when not reached,they are judged as expectations,when throwing out pompous critic!!

Players make mistakes,but posters some love nothing more than a pecking crusade

young Players have played both well,and avg in the same game...

then get judged on over analysed incidents..nano-seconds moments of play,but are judged crap

Team has played well in parts  this season,the poor rantings are OTT and boring!!

Team has created top chances in every or at least 95% of our games but have not converted...

Posters can't understand...i) expensive unused players,after they have misfired often ii) rebuilding,with finances tied because of those wasted buys!!

I won't deny our quality of performance level is very average,I don't mind the team nor Puel being criticised for it.But I believe we are having to pay

for all the inconsistencies until yesterday throughout our front 6,and those low conversion rates!!! Yesterday the defence had its worse day this season.

With the above,and injuries,we haven't been clinical,if early good chances had been taken,would have the performances improved..??

I knew after Ranieri,relegation could be a massive threat,with an aging squad,fring and 1st teamers,and we only had "potential" young players.

Plus even then our expensive buys were not hitting their strides...I

The defence didn't need,but had to be shored up.Youngsters had to be coaxed,and slowly introduced without too a high expectancy..

We then had 2 New buys in Iborra and Silva,(forget the 14sec farce and lost months) These 2 were going to be our base of midfield-experience,bought

before Puel...Nacho was going to be the slow but secure potential for our front line,Slimani given chances,but didn't cut it.The whole squad given chances,

very few have stood up to be counted,the potential youth still holding that potential,but not screaming out for automatic 1st team selection!!I

Then this season individuals no consistent form,and injuries really at the wrong time...!!!

Now for some,and even some good forum posters the following is just not good enough...

But for me,it's solid ,not without question,also with the normal football "with mistakes"'

But many positives,in football there are very few,especially when you are arrogantly feeling entitled on results and high performances..the following:-

We were desperate for a new Backline,with youth,experierence,and with some risk..Puel has given us what was longingly missed..a solid defence!!!

Periera/Evans many wanted ousted,are becoming  favourites..Chilwell The scourge of weak ,overexpecting,impatient posters,now an England International.

Maguire..became an International,though maybe because of a nagging injury,sometimes indifferent. Love his attacking moves,others don't like them..

Gray may have been here 4 years,but was young when he came. Blows not and cold,but what attacking Wback doesnt!!! Too many again impatient!!

Rekindled and got top performances,from...Amartey..Mendy..Simpson...W.Morgan. Agreed of late the last 3 have started to struggle,the last 2 probably

their swansong-season!! But Puel had the right to play them...Maddison slowly being introduced against some unknowledgable-unaware-posters opinions!!

the biggest mishap for the whole team is Ndidi,his basic needed football tech,has been missing.then the Failings of Silva and Iborra,That isn't of Puel's making!

after his 1st 18months, I will take this outsourcing/rebuild,/change/redevelopement of the possible catastrophe situation we was in...on his terms!!

He,!!!  No other imaginary-prefered manager,took this job on,and though frustrating,I will accept boring consolidation and successful slow changes

he has made ,with a full  season,of a mix of average  even boring games,needing 2-3transfer windows ,against any fly by night managers..

Prefered more games like yesterday obviously with opposite outcome!!

But yesterday the last 5 minute high-line,was the players doing..Puel gescillating for the Bline to fallback,and midfield to hold and take it easy...

Seen live,and on game-highlights...MOTD,I missed !!??

I have also my preferred selections..but not a real reason to ditch Puel or any manager...

Godverdomme paragraphs tyvus

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don't see how togetherness with fans won us the league. So I can only presume you meant players. Especially as that bond was long gone the second season under Ranieri looking like we were going down, so that's not all in Puel.

We were happy because we were winning, there as no mythical bond between us all. Not in my eyes anyway.

Did you go go the title winning museum we had. The club gave quite a bit of wall space to thank and acknowledge how much the fans helped. The clappers, the atmosphere, singing etc.

None of that now. No one uses the clappers. Hardly any singing. Never heard us sing puels name. The atmosphere under puel has been pretty much sterile. 

6 minutes ago, smr said:

Did you go go the title winning museum we had. The club gave quite a bit of wall space to thank and acknowledge how much the fans helped. The clappers, the atmosphere, singing etc.

None of that now. No one uses the clappers. Hardly any singing. Never heard us sing puels name. The atmosphere under puel has been pretty much sterile. 

How was it just before we slipped into the bottom three with Ranieri? It was every bit as flat as it is now, only the respect of the title win held back the venom Puel gets.

To say it's all in him is just not fair, it was already like that. If we win people are happy, lose and they aren't.

Edited by Babylon

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's done absolutely fcuk all to try and get the fans on side and this is now the 2nd or 3rd time he's started spouting off.

Does he really think our fans havent taken to him because we expect to be in the top 6? It just shows how out of touch he is, we havent taken to him because of the God awful football, the soulless environment he's building and the complete lack of energy. Also his complete disregard for cup competitions and then he has the cheek to use the narrow penalty shootout defeat as evidence that he's doing his but but expectations are blowing things out of proportion. Dont treat us like fcukin morons then you little herbert.

A section of our fans have done nothing but moan since the minute he turned up. I'm genuinely left wondering if they're happy that we're having a difficult spell as they can point to their previous moans and roll their eyes. Our fans are currently the biggest problem with this club. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pazzerfox said:

If we go back to the Pearson days when we were bottom of the league, supporters still had hope because we were actually playing well as a group and were all pulling in the same direction.  Under Claude, it's more about the performances than the results for me.  Everyone doesn't appear to be on the same page.

Supporters were still extremely vocally Pearson out, and most didn’t acknowledge the style. It’s very easy to paint pictures of the past, but large parts of the fanbase were (and in some baffling cases still are) virulently anti-Pearson.

It only shows that a large section of the more vocal Leicester fans are not very bright, don’t understand managers with a long term vision, and don’t learn from their mistakes. And this isn’t even particularly a pro-Puel point, it’s just that a lot of what people on here think about football isn’t worth the pixels it’s written on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Until he takes the cups seriously, I think a decent amount of our fanbase will never warm to him. This season was a perfect chance to have a FA Cup run, and we should have put out a stronger team.

Yes we are a mid table team, we probably can't expect anything higher than 7th or 8th, but I really think we will finish lower than that this season. His lack of knowing his best 11 and the refusal to drop certain players even after 3 or 4 bad or average performances is costing him the support of the fanbase.

1 minute ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Supporters were still extremely vocally Pearson out, and most didn’t acknowledge the style. It’s very easy to paint pictures of the past, but large parts of the fanbase were (and in some baffling cases still are) virulently anti-Pearson.

It only shows that a large section of the more vocal Leicester fans are not very bright, don’t understand managers with a long term vision, and don’t learn from their mistakes. And this isn’t even particularly a pro-Puel point, it’s just that a lot of what people on here think about football isn’t worth the pixels it’s written on. 

Exactly the same could be said about Puel (with regards to him not learning from his mistakes)

1 hour ago, southfox66 said:

Don't you think teams outside of the top half haven't done the same thing in previous seasons but we managed to beat them, the amount of time I watched the side this season play this slow ponderous build up play, its becomes embarrassing and annoying 

And we had different players more capable of doing it then.

42 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This such a monumentally awful perspective and so disheartening to see that it's popular here. Say what you will about the Puel out crowd (and there's a lot to say, very little positive), but they certainly are a unified front, dutifully liking each others brain dead hot takes.

Get fans on side??? What's he need to do?? There's no pleasing you people because you already have your mind made up. What was beating Man City and Chelsea soundly? What is letting home grown local players flourish in the starting 11? What was handling a club-defining tragedy with grace and poise? What is being smart in the transfer market and spending the money as if it was his own for the club's long term benefit - you're probably the type who'd like us to sign some overpriced flop just because it was 'doing something'. From the general tenor of your post, it's clear at this point he could do nothing to win you over, yet you think that it strengthens your argument when you interpret every action he takes in the worst possible light.

We did get to penalties with Man City, arguably one of the greatest teams ever assembled - several players took indefensible penalties (Claude's fault of course). The Newport game, the team on the field should've won, period. Why are they paying any of the bottom half of the roster if they can't dispatch a league 2 side? (Claude recruited all that dross, I forgot). I don't think you could argue either game was 'disregarding the cups'? What, cause Vardy didn't play? He's 31 and has a reoccurring injury! 

If you think the environment is soulless - how about you look inward. Get off your duff and do something if you think the atmosphere is miserable - what, did you clapper break? I forgot Puel wanted you to boo our young players who are underperforming that'll help. 

Your ilk says he shows no emotion and is boring and then when he pushes back against the boo birds, now you're seething? what a childish blowhard you are. 

I have some issues with Puel but there's so many bad faith, poorly formed arguments against him I constantly find myself defending him. Get a grip. This is a team in transition, there's going to be growing pains. We probably have 10 problems, 7 of which predate Puel or are beyond his control. Continuity is the only thing which will see us through to the other side. You offer one solution to this myriad of problems - sack Claude! Must be great living in such a simple world. 

The fact some of you would rather lose 'fun' than play to our limited strengths tells me all I need to know about your sporting acumen - missing the forest for the trees. Last game was fun right? Yeah I still prefer the Everton match. Humour me this - what percentage of blame do you assign the players for the failings of this team to beat teams they 'should'? ' A half dozen aging vets seem to be the commonality in our last three managers downfalls, but I don't hear you calling for their heads. Oh right "He's the manager, he needs to blah blah blah"

It's like arguing with a wall.         

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Until he takes the cups seriously, I think a decent amount of our fanbase will never warm to him. This season was a perfect chance to have a FA Cup run, and we should have put out a stronger team.

Yes we are a mid table team, we probably can't expect anything higher than 7th or 8th, but I really think we will finish lower than that this season. His lack of knowing his best 11 and the refusal to drop certain players even after 3 or 4 bad or average performances is costing him the support of the fanbase.

I don’t disagree with that point in general, but we put out a second string against Man City and nearly nearly nicked it. We then put out a team which *should* have battered Newport and lost. I know it wasn’t our strongest, but fvck me it should have been enough. Vardy gets a knock in that game and you can be absolutely certain that everyone would have had an opinion on resting players. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

21 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

I don’t disagree with that point in general, but we put out a second string against Man City and nearly nearly nicked it. We then put out a team which *should* have battered Newport and lost. I know it wasn’t our strongest, but fvck me it should have been enough. Vardy gets a knock in that game and you can be absolutely certain that everyone would have had an opinion on resting players. Hindsight is a wonderful thing... 

I agree in all fairness, but starting James was stupid, I said that before the game and was proved right. I just feel like we again didn't give the cups a proper go, after failing to against Man City last season too.

• Like 1