Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

10 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

Did you feel really breathless when you first went back? I’ve just started back up and I’m breathess just getting up the steps lol  

Managed to escape that luckily! I go on three-to-five mile walks every day during lockdowns as to not obliterate my fitness, that said a lady who usually goes the same time as me did say I looked like I needed an oxygen mask after ten lengths and I don’t think she was far off lol 

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The last bit is bang on. I’ve always been a regular swimmer but hadnt been since last March until pools reopened in April. I was absolutely miles off it to begin with but quickly regaining condition now and the process of getting back up to speed has been great. Sort of just used to go through the motions at the level I was at but being forced to be without makes me want to push myself more.

Ive never really focused on strength, just couldn’t be arsed, but it would help my swimming massively (my technique is good) so I’m looking forward to starting that journey now. Really hope the joy of it all continues

See I was the other way round! Regular gym-goer until Feb last year (new job I started last January slowed it down a bit) but I only managed a few weeks between second and third lockdown so this is my first consistent period in the gym for a year and a half, and the swimming came along as my mate I went gym with asked me to go along and I’ve never really done much consistent cardio. A few weeks back in the gym and the swimming is so much easier, they definitely compliment each other so I can definitely recommend!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since the reopening I've noticed an influx of 16 - 18 year old lads in real designer kit stinking of perfume. 

I wonder if the break has resulted in a generation of folk that don't know how to act in the gym.

Right off putting having the stench of Sauvage when you're training. 

• Haha 1

I've signed up to the gym as it was an offer through work. I went once last week and I can find myself already struggling to motivate myself to get back down again. Anyone else struggled with this? Any tips that have helped over come this problem? 

20 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I've signed up to the gym as it was an offer through work. I went once last week and I can find myself already struggling to motivate myself to get back down again. Anyone else struggled with this? Any tips that have helped over come this problem? 

Youve just got to force yourself early on, your first couple of sessions will be grim but once you've adapted you'll genuinely enjoy going. Do you have a good understanding of what you're doing? Best to always go in with a plan, or are you just doing cardio?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Youve just got to force yourself early on, your first couple of sessions will be grim but once you've adapted you'll genuinely enjoy going. Do you have a good understanding of what you're doing? Best to always go in with a plan, or are you just doing cardio?

It's like when you have your first few beers or cigarettes as a teenager, the first few are horrible and you can't quite understand why people like them but then after a few you start to enjoy them and then you're off!

At least that's what i imagine it's like, I just really like beer and cigarettes.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Collymore said:

A lack of motivation for the gym is typically due to a lack of planning / programming. Do you have a plan when you go into the gym or are you a bit gung-ho? Exercise selection can also be a key component of this. Remember your diet contributes massively into weight loss / muscle gain. Too many people believe in order to lose weight you have to run, cycle or row when in reality you can do what you like providing you are in a calorie deficit. For a lot of people the prospect of doing that for 30-60 minutes is boring and in return become unmotivated.

Out of interest what would you like to achieve from the gym?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

55 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

A lack of motivation for the gym is typically due to a lack of planning / programming. Do you have a plan when you go into the gym or are you a bit gung-ho? Exercise selection can also be a key component of this. Remember your diet contributes massively into weight loss / muscle gain. Too many people believe in order to lose weight you have to run, cycle or row when in reality you can do what you like providing you are in a calorie deficit. For a lot of people the prospect of doing that for 30-60 minutes is boring and in return become unmotivated.

Out of interest what would you like to achieve from the gym?

Cheers for the replies. 

I signed up through work as there was an offer so it wasn't actually me thinking I definitely want to do this which might be the problem. I usually do running and cycling outside so probably covered on the cardio side.

I suppose I'd like to just get a bit physically stronger, not Geoff Capes or anything like that but It would be nice to get a bit toned. 

31 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Cheers for the replies. 

I signed up through work as there was an offer so it wasn't actually me thinking I definitely want to do this which might be the problem. I usually do running and cycling outside so probably covered on the cardio side.

I suppose I'd like to just get a bit physically stronger, not Geoff Capes or anything like that but It would be nice to get a bit toned. 

Ok so would the best way to sum up your mentality that you're just sort of testing the waters, would be a good routine to get into but on flipside if you don't enjoy it you're not too bothered necessarily about binning it off as you're quite content anywya?

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Ok so would the best way to sum up your mentality that you're just sort of testing the waters, would be a good routine to get into but on flipside if you don't enjoy it you're not too bothered necessarily about binning it off as you're quite content anywya?

Yes, pretty much. I know I need a goal but I don't know exactly what the goal is! Perhaps just give it a go till at least Christmas!?

Should I take it really slowly/light and then build up? Kind of once/twice a week dead light and easy and then ramp it up over time? Should I get straight into it and fight through the soreness for a a few weeks?

Are there any online plans anyone has followed that they would recommend for someone just starting out like me?

Edited by Collymore

43 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Yes, pretty much. I know I need a goal but I don't know exactly what the goal is! Perhaps just give it a go till at least Christmas!?

Should I take it really slowly/light and then build up? Kind of once/twice a week dead light and easy and then ramp it up over time? Should I get straight into it and fight through the soreness for a a few weeks?

Are there any online plans anyone has followed that they would recommend for someone just starting out like me?

I reckon the goal for you now is just enjoying it enough that you're motivated to dedicate your time to it each week, once you come to that point you can then have some serious body goals imo.

I'd say as you're new and you're finding your feet, sit down and dedicate yourself to 2 sessions a week, try and space them as well don't really want to have more than 3 days off per session else you'll end up being like oh I cba today. I'd say do that for 2 months have your specified days, come to the end of that see where you are mentally with going to the gym and look to potentially add another day in or if you're happy with that volume then stick to it

Id say as well do full body work outs, probably aim for 2 compound movements a session and then experiment with isolation movements. As you're new as well, worth trying out whatever machines are in the gym as thisll be advantageous when it comes to poor form that you'll naturally have starting off.

Id also add to that as well, find out the body parts you like working out and just focus on them short term, like I said before priority for you is to enjoy the the gym so if you hate doing legs for example, take them out the program because by the time you eventually say phwoar I like doing this then you'll take the stuff you hate doing more seriously. 

Yeah there's a lot of information out there, I'd suggest trying to do your more simplified movements starting off though. If you take the advice of doing full body each session each week, then you're probably aiming for at least 2 excerises per muscle group you change, you can adapt this as you go along.YouTube is a really good source, probably recommend Greg Doucette and Athleanx both are really knowledgeable and I'm sure they have videos dedicated to if you're just starting out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Collymore said:

When it comes to weight training, if it’s free weights especially (but not limited to), then form is absolutely key. 

Start at a comfortable weight, get the form correct (watching video guides on certain exercises beforehand will help with this) then ramp up to the highest weight you feel you’re pushing yourself to get ten out. Once you’re beginning to get comfortable with that, see if you can’t push up a weight. I usually keep a weight under what I’m currently doing so if I do particularly badly on the last set (say, 5 or  6 out of 10 reps) then I drop down one and see if I can’t get a couple more out.

As with any exercise you’ll probably fly through the weights quickly at first then begin to plateau a bit, but as long as you push yourself to keep challenging yourself you should be fine (and if you’re only looking to tone its obviously not the end of the world!) 

That said: challenging yourself ≠ killing yourself, make sure you’re always comfortable with the weight because the last thing you want to do is injure yourself and be out for however long after just getting into it! 

I’ve never used online plans but for the basics there’s some good YouTube channels available, I always liked AthleanX when I started, has some very good videos on things like form and how to formulate sets and some basic workout routines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I reckon the goal for you now is just enjoying it enough that you're motivated to dedicate your time to it each week, once you come to that point you can then have some serious body goals imo.

I'd say as you're new and you're finding your feet, sit down and dedicate yourself to 2 sessions a week, try and space them as well don't really want to have more than 3 days off per session else you'll end up being like oh I cba today. I'd say do that for 2 months have your specified days, come to the end of that see where you are mentally with going to the gym and look to potentially add another day in or if you're happy with that volume then stick to it

Id say as well do full body work outs, probably aim for 2 compound movements a session and then experiment with isolation movements. As you're new as well, worth trying out whatever machines are in the gym as thisll be advantageous when it comes to poor form that you'll naturally have starting off.

Id also add to that as well, find out the body parts you like working out and just focus on them short term, like I said before priority for you is to enjoy the the gym so if you hate doing legs for example, take them out the program because by the time you eventually say phwoar I like doing this then you'll take the stuff you hate doing more seriously. 

Yeah there's a lot of information out there, I'd suggest trying to do your more simplified movements starting off though. If you take the advice of doing full body each session each week, then you're probably aiming for at least 2 excerises per muscle group you change, you can adapt this as you go along.YouTube is a really good source, probably recommend Greg Doucette and Athleanx both are really knowledgeable and I'm sure they have videos dedicated to if you're just starting out.

3 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

When it comes to weight training, if it’s free weights especially (but not limited to), then form is absolutely key. 

Start at a comfortable weight, get the form correct (watching video guides on certain exercises beforehand will help with this) then ramp up to the highest weight you feel you’re pushing yourself to get ten out. Once you’re beginning to get comfortable with that, see if you can’t push up a weight. I usually keep a weight under what I’m currently doing so if I do particularly badly on the last set (say, 5 or  6 out of 10 reps) then I drop down one and see if I can’t get a couple more out.

As with any exercise you’ll probably fly through the weights quickly at first then begin to plateau a bit, but as long as you push yourself to keep challenging yourself you should be fine (and if you’re only looking to tone its obviously not the end of the world!) 

That said: challenging yourself ≠ killing yourself, make sure you’re always comfortable with the weight because the last thing you want to do is injure yourself and be out for however long after just getting into it! 

I’ve never used online plans but for the basics there’s some good YouTube channels available, I always liked AthleanX when I started, has some very good videos on things like form and how to formulate sets and some basic workout routines.

Thanks you two for this. I've spent some time watching the AthleanX guy's videos and it's interesting how he says it's more important about the diet and nutrition than it is anything you do in gym.

Has anyone else experienced this - as in working on the nutritional side and seeing the importance there...? 

He seems to rate the tinned pumpkin that you don't seem to be able to get in the supermarket over here!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Thanks you two for this. I've spent some time watching the AthleanX guy's videos and it's interesting how he says it's more important about the diet and nutrition than it is anything you do in gym.

Has anyone else experienced this - as in working on the nutritional side and seeing the importance there...? 

He seems to rate the tinned pumpkin that you don't seem to be able to get in the supermarket over here!

Yeah nutrition is important, but my recommendation atm would be just enjoying going to the gym first, don't necessarily want to change the way you eat on top of it else it'll probably effect motivation going forward if you're having a big lifestyle change. Just aim for higher protein food if you're looking to be more toned, as protein burns more just digesting it and stimulates muscle growth. I'd recommend Greg Doucette for the dieting side of things, his way of looking at things is a lot more simpler especially for beginners. And if you want to get more toned, calories in calories out is an easy and simpler way of looking at things rather than obsessing about macros 

Also important to note, even if you're diet is absolutely shit you'll see good gains early doors because you're new to it, often referred to as newbie gains. Like my initial spike was on a uni diet lol and I wasnt supplementing either, so yeah I'd say don't worry too much early doors. Just be smart 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

2 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Yeah nutrition is important, but my recommendation atm would be just enjoying going to the gym first, don't necessarily want to change the way you eat on top of it else it'll probably effect motivation going forward if you're having a big lifestyle change. Just aim for higher protein food if you're looking to be more toned, as protein burns more just digesting it and stimulates muscle growth. I'd recommend Greg Doucette for the dieting side of things, his way of looking at things is a lot more simpler especially for beginners. And if you want to get more toned, calories in calories out is an easy and simpler way of looking at things rather than obsessing about macros 

Also important to note, even if you're diet is absolutely shit you'll see good gains early doors because you're new to it, often referred to as newbie gains. Like my initial spike was on a uni diet lol and I wasnt supplementing either, so yeah I'd say don't worry too much early doors. Just be smart 

Yep Horse’s Mouth is 100% correct- get into the gym routine first! If you get into it and fancy to lean into the nutrition side then it’s all there for you to look into later on. I’d sift through any nutrition stuff and look for the basics around workout routines etc.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Can anyone suggest good exercises that use resistance bands or dumbbells please? Can't get to the gym currently and quite limited on equipment and ideas at home so any suggestions would be great :)

Too many, all depends on what your aims are, what body parts you want to work etc.

Dumbbells are good to use but resistance bands also do the trick. I will try to list some exercises, Google them for videos etc. and you will probably be linked to other exercises and end up with a massive list. So here goes.

Legs - Standing single leg split squat, Goblet squat, Reverse lunge squat, Front squat

Back - Single arm row, Romanian deadlift, Renegade row (very good as it works multiple muscles inc shoulder and abs)

Shoulder - Push press, Shoulder press, Arnie press, Lateral raise, Front raise

Chest - Bench press (depending on what you have available seating wise could do incline/decline/flat), Chest fly

Arms - Bicep curl (standing), Concentrated bicep curl (seated), Overhead tricep extension, Skull crusher (tricep)

Abs - Plank (high/low/mixture), Crunches, Bicycle crunches, Russian twist

Most of those are good with dumbbells but you could use resistance bands for some of them instead (I find resistance bands good for shoulders and bicep but more difficult for legs, back and chest without having somewhere to hang them like a door or bench). Work out what feels good/diificult based on the equipment you have. If you want to make the resistance bands more difficult then shorten the length of it (not cutting it, with your feet or whatever you are using to hold it in place).

Hopefully that is enough to get you started but like I say, a few searches on Google and the world is your oyster.

I started in the gym in April doing an hour and a half cycling and and on most the machines and then doing half hour swimming 5 days a week I've lost 4kg up until August but no matter how hard I train I'm stuck at 89kg can't lose any more weight and only have 2 abs the other 4 of a six pack just won't happen lol anyone give me any advice on what to do I'm abit stuck 

Stuck with my spin classes in a morning, at least twice a week, sometimes three and it’s mad how much more focussed you feel for the day after doing one. Sounds proper wanky and I hate myself for saying it but it’s true lol 

Dont get me wrong getting up at quarter to 6 is grim but it’s worth it in the grand scheme of things. Was always a bit afraid of exercise classes but these are actually really good - I struggle with motivating myself just going to the gym on my own so this also helps with that, makes me accountable to myself I guess. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Been going loads since work from home has become the norm now. Did 20 mins on the cross trainer, shoulders work out then played badminton yesterday. Doing chest and then playing squash today. Not sure there’s any noticeable difference in fitness levels but it’s fun 

I'm sure there is some fitness improvements, the main thing is it's fun and if it makes you feel good then you're on to a winner! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kyleolly said:

I started in the gym in April doing an hour and a half cycling and and on most the machines and then doing half hour swimming 5 days a week I've lost 4kg up until August but no matter how hard I train I'm stuck at 89kg can't lose any more weight and only have 2 abs the other 4 of a six pack just won't happen lol anyone give me any advice on what to do I'm abit stuck 

Firstly, well done on your routine, 5 days a week swimming is awesome.

Secondly 89kg is a healthy weight, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this but you'll be building up some muscles without even knowing it with all that swimming, so the lack of weight loss is irrelevant because you'll be losing fat but gaining the muscle pounds.

As for the six pack, If you find out how to get one let me know! My lower abs refuse to reveal themselves after nearly 2 years of working out lol