Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

On 12/04/2021 at 12:43, Nick said:

I'm just going into week 4 of Bigger Leaner Stronger.

I've tried so many programmes over the years involving different muscle groups but never quite managed to train 5 days a week with weights and run and walk as extra without getting injured or simply not having the time. This fella designs his training into lifting heavy but short reps 4-6 and only 3 sets with 2-4 mins rest in between and only 4 exercises per day so only 45 mins needed. I'm doing it on my lunch hour in combination with only eating about 1700 calories a day so for the first 6 months I'll be cutting and gaining which is weird! I'd recommend.

This looks interesting. 

Is this specifically for those who are already into lifting? I've had a long term back injury so haven't really done weights (or much gym work at all) in about 18 months time, but I could. I'm also looking at programmes to keep me focused. 

I'm 6"4 but I've now exceeded 16 stone for the first time in my life having been a 5-day-a-week, 13 stone guy not that long ago. 

Would you recommend for someone trying to get a bit of shape back and shift some excess weight? 

How busy are the gyms up there? Here they're much busier than when they reopened last summer, I guess people have absolutely had enough of Covid and want to crack on. 

Also, only being able to shift literally half of my personal best on chest and shoulder press was an absolute killer lol It's a long way back! 

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

How busy are the gyms up there? Here they're much busier than when they reopened last summer, I guess people have absolutely had enough of Covid and want to crack on. 

Also, only being able to shift literally half of my personal best on chest and shoulder press was an absolute killer lol It's a long way back! 

Loughborough Pure Gym has a capacity of 140 and has been between 50 and 70 in most times when I've checked the app. I think once it was 89. Not seen it over 100 yet.

7 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Loughborough Pure Gym has a capacity of 140 and has been between 50 and 70 in most times when I've checked the app. I think once it was 89. Not seen it over 100 yet.

That sounds like alot of people but depends on the space of the gym I suppose.

The one I go to has a limit of 12 and this morning there was 7 in when I was in :)

It's good to be back though but ached this morning!

11 hours ago, RoboFox said:

This looks interesting. 

Is this specifically for those who are already into lifting? I've had a long term back injury so haven't really done weights (or much gym work at all) in about 18 months time, but I could. I'm also looking at programmes to keep me focused. 

I'm 6"4 but I've now exceeded 16 stone for the first time in my life having been a 5-day-a-week, 13 stone guy not that long ago. 

Would you recommend for someone trying to get a bit of shape back and shift some excess weight? 

I would, yeah. You can do either 3,4 or 5 days a week and pick from a range of exercises per muscle group depending on what equipment you have access to at home or in the gym. It’s a programme for people who aren’t really in Year 2-3 of experienced lifting who are reaching plateaus etc - it’s basically designed for people like you. Look up Bigger Leaner Stronger on the web or just buy the book off amazon or whatever. Calorie counting is important but to the end that really you should eat good stuff and not overeat. The idea is as a novice you can get bigger leaner stronger and lose weight whilst cutting calories - especially for the first 6 months. I shifted a half a stone before starting just by running and changing diet which got rid of a bit of a tyre round my midriff And that certainly helped give me a base to start from. I’m in to week four now and have upped the weight on every single area bar one (my front lateral raises are still crap due to a naff left shoulder injury). Form is important too and worth reading about. Considering a month ago I found dips very hard and chin-ups close to impossible, I’m now able to do 3 sets of four pull ups and 3 sees of 10 dips on a captains chair straight and leaning forward... it’s certainly progress.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Fair, mine is much smaller and the capacity of the weights room is only about 20 ish, and it's full every night. The cardio area is much less populated.

Crazy how much better I feel after just a few sessions. Got a swim at the weekend I'm really looking forward to as well :vardy:

• Like 1

Does anyone have home gyms or home gym equipment? Thinking about getting a bench and some dumbells when I move into my house later in the year, as well as a smart trainer exercise bike (I like cycling but it's horrible in winter), got a decent sized garage in the new pad as well as a spare bedroom, so could easily have a reasonably sized home gym.

23 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Does anyone have home gyms or home gym equipment? Thinking about getting a bench and some dumbells when I move into my house later in the year, as well as a smart trainer exercise bike (I like cycling but it's horrible in winter), got a decent sized garage in the new pad as well as a spare bedroom, so could easily have a reasonably sized home gym.

Yeah I have a home gym. It’s great and obv been a godsend over the last year.

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

What ya got? Photos appreciated or any links to equipment. Just curious as to whether it's worth doing. Cheers.

Got a power rack and Olympic barbell weight set. Then a bench and dumbbells and ez bar etc. Got it all years ago from power house fitness for about £700 all in I think. 

A38C39A8-7C07-42BC-A785-AF639B38458D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Unabomber said:

Got a power rack and Olympic barbell weight set. Then a bench and dumbbells and ez bar etc. Got it all years ago from power house fitness for about £700 all in I think. 

A38C39A8-7C07-42BC-A785-AF639B38458D.jpeg

Is that four kegs of beer and a well stocked booze shelf I can see over there? 

Nice to have the refreshments to hand when you're pumping iron. A man who's got it figured out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deejdeej said:

Did a full body workout on Thursday, first weight session in nearly a year after focussing on running during the lockdowns. 

2 days later and I can't straighten either arm without massive discomfort lol any recovery tips? 

Straight after you've done your workout...STREEEEEEEEEEEETCH!!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, deejdeej said:

Did a full body workout on Thursday, first weight session in nearly a year after focussing on running during the lockdowns. 

2 days later and I can't straighten either arm without massive discomfort lol any recovery tips? 

I went on Monday but have been aching ever since so not been back. 

All that excitement for gyms reopening and this week has been a damn washout as I pushed too hard.

19 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I went on Monday but have been aching ever since so not been back. 

All that excitement for gyms reopening and this week has been a damn washout as I pushed too hard.

Not good! Day 3 and I still feel like my arms are just useless attachments to my torso.

On 14/04/2021 at 22:46, Nick said:

I would, yeah. You can do either 3,4 or 5 days a week and pick from a range of exercises per muscle group depending on what equipment you have access to at home or in the gym. It’s a programme for people who aren’t really in Year 2-3 of experienced lifting who are reaching plateaus etc - it’s basically designed for people like you. Look up Bigger Leaner Stronger on the web or just buy the book off amazon or whatever. Calorie counting is important but to the end that really you should eat good stuff and not overeat. The idea is as a novice you can get bigger leaner stronger and lose weight whilst cutting calories - especially for the first 6 months. I shifted a half a stone before starting just by running and changing diet which got rid of a bit of a tyre round my midriff And that certainly helped give me a base to start from. I’m in to week four now and have upped the weight on every single area bar one (my front lateral raises are still crap due to a naff left shoulder injury). Form is important too and worth reading about. Considering a month ago I found dips very hard and chin-ups close to impossible, I’m now able to do 3 sets of four pull ups and 3 sees of 10 dips on a captains chair straight and leaning forward... it’s certainly progress.

The book arrived today. 

I start next week. Thanks for the recommendation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

The book arrived today. 

I start next week. Thanks for the recommendation. 

PM if you want to talk about selecting the weight/exercises from the programme in relation to frequency. I’ll happily post my daily work out cards for my 5 day program if that would be helpful. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really been back on it since the gyms reopened. Currently doing swimming twice a week, gym twice a week, 5-a-side once a week and when it’s open to multiple households again I’ll be doing badminton on Fridays. Swimming’s a WIP (only started going last August) but I’m about where I was pre-lockdown gym-wise. Such a great feeling to be back, no better feeling than after you’ve really pushed yourself especially after months of inactivity outside of walking!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Really been back on it since the gyms reopened. Currently doing swimming twice a week, gym twice a week, 5-a-side once a week and when it’s open to multiple households again I’ll be doing badminton on Fridays. Swimming’s a WIP (only started going last August) but I’m about where I was pre-lockdown gym-wise. Such a great feeling to be back, no better feeling than after you’ve really pushed yourself especially after months of inactivity outside of walking!

Did you feel really breathless when you first went back? I’ve just started back up and I’m breathess just getting up the steps lol  

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

The last bit is bang on. I’ve always been a regular swimmer but hadnt been since last March until pools reopened in April. I was absolutely miles off it to begin with but quickly regaining condition now and the process of getting back up to speed has been great. Sort of just used to go through the motions at the level I was at but being forced to be without makes me want to push myself more.

Ive never really focused on strength, just couldn’t be arsed, but it would help my swimming massively (my technique is good) so I’m looking forward to starting that journey now. Really hope the joy of it all continues

• Like 1