Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WilfND

BRENDAN Official

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

To be fair, there wasn't much to shout about under Claude. Even people supporting him only did so because of his 'long term plan'. And this was after being in the relegation zone under Shaley and Ranieri. We've had some rotten appointments since winning the league but this appears to be a step in the right direction. We shall see!

Said to a friend earlier that, admitting he had faults of course, I think Claude took the bullet for previous failures, and was perhaps the perfect fall guy. Rodgers seems close enough to what Puel might have been aiming for to not have to rip it up and start again, and take advantage of the good things he was trying to achieve - the 2nd half vs Palace apart, the only thing wrong lately had been results (imo).

So, hopefully a win-win.

• Like 4

I wanted to focus on these points Rodgers talked about on the official website:

“We’ll work very hard on the training field, that’s what you have to suffer as a player, you’ve got to work hard, so that when you come into the games, it becomes automated work.

“Hopefully we can bring in a structure to how we play, which firstly means that you’ve got to defend well, so you’ve got to press the game.

“Supporters maybe have seen my teams at Swansea and at Liverpool and at Celtic and will recognise how intensely we try to press the game and from that.

“That’s the base then to use your qualities technically so that will be something that we look to do over the course of time and that will take place straight after the game (vs. Brighton & Hove Albion) and into our first training session.”

The two things that I would always ask for is commitment and a positive attitude. Players will make mistakes, but you have to be able to let them go, but primarily I always ask my teams to play with that commitment, that structure, but also the attitude"

“I want them to be really aggressive in the game, both with and without the ball, so those will be the messages early on and then, of course, when we’ve had more working time together we can start to implement the tactical ideas.”

Seems like he will bring in the high pressure game, which I think all fans want to see us return too. We might not have had much possession in 15/16, but in almost every game we started like a house on fire with Shinji, Vardy, Kante and Albrighton in particular pressing like absolute madmen. It often got us an early goal too. We've heard reports about how training was "too easy" and not intense enough, so this sounds ideal for want the players want.

I think one potential problem we may run into though is what is happening with Chelsea. There Sarri also wants his team to press from the front but collectively they are very poor at it. Given we've got younger players who are hungry and more receptive to instructions this may be easier to implement. With Puel I could never quite tell if he wanted our team to press or not. Sometimes it appeared he did and other times we seemed lackadaisical. Anyway it will take time, but this to me gives us some idea of what to expect.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Said to a friend earlier that, admitting he had faults of course, I think Claude took the bullet for previous failures, and was perhaps the perfect fall guy. Rodgers seems close enough to what Puel might have been aiming for to not have to rip it up and start again, and take advantage of the good things he was trying to achieve - the 2nd half vs Palace apart, the only thing wrong lately had been results (imo).

So, hopefully a win-win.

Possibly fair, but I also feel Claude just wasn't tactically on it, he just didn't know what to do against teams that left no space and had no answer for it. He was a bit outdated IMO, possibly an innovator in his  time but in this and age, away teams shut up shop against any top 10 side and you've got to be ready for it. The exact same thing happened to him at Southampton and he inherited that job from top 7/8 finishes so it shows it wasn't just a one off or inheriting a bad situation.

• Like 1

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Possibly fair, but I also feel Claude just wasn't tactically on it, he just didn't know what to do against teams that left no space and had no answer for it. He was a bit outdated IMO, possibly an innovator in his  time but in this and age, away teams shut up shop against any top 10 side and you've got to be ready for it. The exact same thing happened to him at Southampton and he inherited that job from top 7/8 finishes so it shows it wasn't just a one off or inheriting a bad situation.

Possibly fair :) See, it's easy to disagree amicably when someone takes such trouble to explain like this - it is appreciated.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The Times says he wants McGregor and Forrest. Not sure myself but will be well worth the Celtic fan meltdown. 

McGregor absolutely. Smart.  Always shows up. Non Stop worker. Has ability to play several positions across midfield and always shows up for big games. Think Joe Allen with better attacking skills.

Forrest maybe. Extremely one footed which drives me crazy. Excellent 1 v 1 skills and very fast. Ask Bayern Munich. 

Brendan's the best judge for me In that he will understand the ability of both these players to cope with the higher tempo game in the PL. They both did great in Europe.

10 minutes ago, SO1 said:

McGregor absolutely. Smart.  Always shows up. Non Stop worker. Has ability to play several positions across midfield and always shows up for big games. Think Joe Allen with better attacking skills.

Forrest maybe. Extremely one footed which drives me crazy. Excellent 1 v 1 skills and very fast. Ask Bayern Munich. 

Brendan's the best judge for me In that he will understand the ability of both these players to cope with the higher tempo game in the PL. They both did great in Europe.

You’ll get neither. You won’t pay the money we would want for either. That’s not to say you can’t afford it but we’d be asking for £40m for both. Don’t think they would leave want to leave either. 

21 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

You’ll get neither. You won’t pay the money we would want for either. That’s not to say you can’t afford it but we’d be asking for £40m for both. Don’t think they would leave want to leave either. 

I may be wrong but I doubt they would cost that much as clubs in scotland typically can't command such fees. That being said if Rodgers does indeed want them (which is debatable) I doubt that that kind of valuation would be a problem.

43 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

All depends on how greedy Lawell will get. Armstrong for 7 million. Like the peach says we don't even know If Rodgers wants them. Don't kid yourself about them not wanting to Quadruple their pay packets. Reality sucks when you can't compete. Sorry.

I get the same feeling when reading the Celtic board as when you’re trying to convince a non-football fan it’s the best sport in the world. I see their argument pretty pointless, they see ours pretty pointless, I guess it’s just best to agree to disagree.

I mean, discussing doing the treble treble? Surely they all realise just how ridiculous that sounds? 10 league titles in a row? lol

Yes Rodgers is turning down a likely success at a crucial point, but success is extremely relative here. Any ambitious professional can attest to wanting to perform well at the highest level, I’m sorry, the SPL is not that.

5 hours ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

There’s no loyalty in football any more and money talks. It’s a short career and Scottish teams simply can’t compete.

Adam Rooney left the SPL from a team who had qualified for the Europa cup to join Non league Salford.

I know Aberdeen aren’t Celtic.... but we have a few quid more than Salford and some up and coming facilities that a lot of people would like to work in everyday, especially earning north of 80k a week.

several players considerably over 100k a week (Vardy 140) and a third choice keeper who never makes the bench, doesn’t play U23s and is essentially a training buddy who gets 23k a week!

A lot of my family are Celtic fans and it’s a special club and must be amazing to play for, but doing the same thing, for a significantly higher wage, for the same manager....in a better league....during a very short career, is actually a no brainer.

Its a sad state of affairs, but it’s not the fault of the players. Very few will pass up such opportunities when the money comes knocking.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

There’s no loyalty in football any more and money talks. It’s a short career and Scottish teams simply can’t compete.

Adam Rooney left the SPL from a team who had qualified for the Europa cup to join Non league Salford.

I know Aberdeen aren’t Celtic.... but we have a few quid more than Salford and some up and coming facilities that a lot of people would like to work in everyday, especially earning north of 80k a week.

several players considerably over 100k a week (Vardy 140) and a third choice keeper who never makes the bench, doesn’t play U23s and is essentially a training buddy who gets 23k a week!

A lot of my family are Celtic fans and it’s a special club and must be amazing to play for, but doing the same thing, for a significantly higher wage, for the same manager....in a better league....during a very short career, is actually a no brainer.

Its a sad state of affairs, but it’s not the fault of the players. Very few will pass up such opportunities when the money comes knocking.

Maybe when they’ve won everything again in may this message will be easier to digest ...... I suspect at the moment, the celts may not be so receptive to logical arguments  .......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I wanted to focus on these points Rodgers talked about on the official website:

“We’ll work very hard on the training field, that’s what you have to suffer as a player, you’ve got to work hard, so that when you come into the games, it becomes automated work.

“Hopefully we can bring in a structure to how we play, which firstly means that you’ve got to defend well, so you’ve got to press the game.

“Supporters maybe have seen my teams at Swansea and at Liverpool and at Celtic and will recognise how intensely we try to press the game and from that.

“That’s the base then to use your qualities technically so that will be something that we look to do over the course of time and that will take place straight after the game (vs. Brighton & Hove Albion) and into our first training session.”

The two things that I would always ask for is commitment and a positive attitude. Players will make mistakes, but you have to be able to let them go, but primarily I always ask my teams to play with that commitment, that structure, but also the attitude"

“I want them to be really aggressive in the game, both with and without the ball, so those will be the messages early on and then, of course, when we’ve had more working time together we can start to implement the tactical ideas.”

Seems like he will bring in the high pressure game, which I think all fans want to see us return too. We might not have had much possession in 15/16, but in almost every game we started like a house on fire with Shinji, Vardy, Kante and Albrighton in particular pressing like absolute madmen. It often got us an early goal too. We've heard reports about how training was "too easy" and not intense enough, so this sounds ideal for want the players want.

I think one potential problem we may run into though is what is happening with Chelsea. There Sarri also wants his team to press from the front but collectively they are very poor at it. Given we've got younger players who are hungry and more receptive to instructions this may be easier to implement. With Puel I could never quite tell if he wanted our team to press or not. Sometimes it appeared he did and other times we seemed lackadaisical. Anyway it will take time, but this to me gives us some idea of what to expect.

It sounds very positive and I hope we get behind him 100% and move away from the divisions we had over poor old Claude, even if we go on a bad run.....well I can hope for that, but know it wont happen!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I wonder how much credit anyone will give Puel should we have an outstanding season next year? My guess is it would be forgotten.

Let's say no-one leaves and no-one else is signed, and we get top 4 next season, or win a cup, with roughly the team Puel built.

Pearson (rightly) gets huge credit on here for building the team which won us the P/L. Ranieri tinkered with it and it goes down as a P/L title for him, but we all really know it was set in place for him by Pearson.

I'm certain that nowhere near the same credit would go to Puel if next season is an outstanding one, and I bet I get ridiculed on here for suggesting such a situation! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am going to have to follow deluded on twitter  .... 

have there been any comments re tops arrival for the contact signing and the game ???  Would explain the late official announcement - if this was only sorted on Monday pm then how many other owners out there would have travelled half way around the world to be here ???

of course that assumes it wasn’t arranged over the past couple weeks with planned completion of Monday pm and pencilled into tops diary   ..........

6 hours ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

99% of Celtic fans were say the same about our chance of getting BR a couple days ago.

There is little or no loyalty in football, I would be surprised if you resisted a decent offer for either of them in the region of 25-30m 

41 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

It sounds very positive and I hope we get behind him 100% and move away from the divisions we had over poor old Claude, even if we go on a bad run.....well I can hope for that, but know it wont happen!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I wonder how much credit anyone will give Puel should we have an outstanding season next year? My guess is it would be forgotten.

Let's say no-one leaves and no-one else is signed, and we get top 4 next season, or win a cup, with roughly the team Puel built.

Pearson (rightly) gets huge credit on here for building the team which won us the P/L. Ranieri tinkered with it and it goes down as a P/L title for him, but we all really know it was set in place for him by Pearson.

I'm certain that nowhere near the same credit would go to Puel if next season is an outstanding one, and I bet I get ridiculed on here for suggesting such a situation! 

Yes because NP did more for the club than Puel did, I am not saying Puel didn’t do anything introduction of younger players is noe the club’s philosophy now.  But if Brendan Rodgers has a good season next season that will be down to him.