Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WilfND

BRENDAN Official

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We perhaps don’t but my point is there is a general assumption on here that we don’t have wads of dosh to spend nor the inclination to spend it anyway .......that could be wrong and a couple of stand out purchases could rock up ......

Not so much an assumption as the manager basically laid out that we didn't and we haven't got a large net spend. But, perhaps that's what he was told because they didn't want him spending, or perhaps they realise to get the manager they want they need to break the previous plans.

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Pretty pathetic really. I do think Rodgers could have handled it a lot better with a good official statement thanking the fans, but this is just tasteless. Especially as deep down I don't think Celtic fans are even angry at either Leicester or Rogers. What they are angry about is that Scottish football has declined to such a level that a club whom 20 years ago *they* raided for our manager is now taking their manager instead. And for a huge club with rich history like Celtic that must be quite depressing. But I don't see what that banner is going to achieve really other than making the fans look like crybabies. This is the equivalent of if we held up "JUDAS KANTE" banners when we play Chelsea, etc lol.

When you call a game a jam tarts derby you deserve the decline!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, brucey said:

Been reading the Celtic forum to try and sift out BR’s potential negatives/downsides from amongst the abuse, and compare that to Puel’s.

From what I can gather:

1. He’s a bit of a used car salesman type - big ego, tells people what they want to hear, and has been caught lying while doing so (white lies, but still). This should help with man managing players and improve the relationship with fans, even if it is all a bit fake. Better than Puel, who was honest but didn’t bother communicating.

2. The players he wanted to buy were not brilliant and he wanted to pay prices which were quite high for Scotland. His recruitment will probably not be as good as Puel’s. Bit worrying, at least we really only need a striker and we haven’t got too much spare cash left to spend/waste anyway with paying for the training ground.

3. He has a good record of developing young players, but doesn’t give as much game time to academy players. So maybe the kids will get less game time than under Puel, but those that do will show more improvement.

4. Very good domestic record but very poor European record, compared to previous Celtic managers. Maybe we’ll now play better against the weaker teams and worse against the stronger teams. Probably an improvement because there are more non-top-6 teams than top-6 teams.

Is this accurate, for those on here who have followed him?

What's he been caught lying about exactly?

20 hours ago, SO1 said:

Your only as good as the people you surround yourself with. Most managers never get credit for the positive changes they contribute to a club. Ask Rodgers. Think he gets any credit for the change in footballing philosophy that he started at Liverpool?

How about Roberto Martinez. Think he gets any credit for the change in football pholosophy at Swansea. One which Brendan benefitted from to promote them. Claude should always get credit for his link in the chain.

Its Brendan's team now. I expect him to do what I love watching him do. Create a team that presses. attacks and works like an absolute set of madmen. If LCFC all pull together and create what I saw at Liverpool then well all be in for a treat.

One we'll never forget.

All excellent points, but because of the huge divide in our fan base over Puel, I suggest he'll never get the sort of credit other managers get after they left if we achieve big things under Rodgers!

2 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

That Mike McGrath was on the money straight away re Brendan Rodgers coming to us, I expect us to spend money this summer, you don’t hire a manager like Rodgers and not back him. 

Rodgers gripe at Celtic was to do with transfer clout, I doubt he would have come without significant reassurances.

We will go big this summer now!

9 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Anyone know if his first press conference is today?

It’ll be tomorrow as we’re on Sunday :)

Today he’s meeting everyone and doing a presentation to all staff and players 

Edited by AjcW

4 hours ago, Collymore said:

He is being called a liar as he preached about being a Celtic fan, yet jumped ship mid season.

Yet, just three weeks ago there was a massive banner reading "10 in a row is not a project - Back Rodgers or lose him" at Celtic Park - this probably gave Rodgers peace of mind that the Celtic support would understand his decision to leave, and I am positive that other EPL sides have been in for him previously (so it's not like he's jumped ship at the first offer, it was simply the final straw for him).

So he hasn't actually lied about anything.  Incidentally, the guy being hailed as chief Celtic man just now, Neil Lennon, also walked out on the club in his last managerial stint here.  I wouldn't start worrying about Rodgers being a liar or lacking loyalty.

Edited by GGow

4 hours ago, Collymore said:

Apparently he made up an anecdote about a player for his autobiography. All over Celtic Twitter. Could all be a rumour made up by a disgruntled Celtic fan, of course, but seems a bit of a random rumour to make up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=Mcgrain rodgers&src=spelling_expansion_revert_click&f=live

D0cg4d7VAAEiVqo?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by brucey

37 minutes ago, brucey said:

Apparently he made up an anecdote about a player for his autobiography. All over Celtic Twitter. Could all be a rumour made up by a disgruntled Celtic fan, of course, but seems a bit of a random rumour to make up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=Mcgrain rodgers&src=spelling_expansion_revert_click&f=live

Also, does anyone seriously believe that preposterous anecdote about how a Rangers fan stopped him on the street and thanked him for coming north and saving Scottish football?

• Haha 1

Just watched a couple of interviews and i must say, it makes a refreshing change to listen to someone that you can actually understand what he's talking about.  One thing i can't quite understand though is, why was eden hazard at the game last night?

B18O1119.JPG

Edited by yorkie1999

7 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Overall ok. The "messiah" complex is garbage. What person dosen't want to go to work and be challenged. To do their absolute best. The man's got a fire burning inside of him to make his teams and players the best.

He was born to be a Football manager. 

2 hours ago, brucey said:

Brendan never actually wrote 'his' book.  It was written by Paul Cuddihy.

It's almost 300 pages long, and is solely about Rodgers' affinity and career at Celtic - given he was only around a year into it, you can imagine its packed with a lot of nonsense to fill pages.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Decent article, and this line was a bloody refreshing change thats for sure!

Contrary to common narrative, Leicester fans haven’t been brainwashed by their team’s heroics of 2015/16. 

:thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Just watched a couple of interviews and i must say, it makes a refreshing change to listen to someone that you can actually understand what he's talking about.  One thing i can't quite understand though is, why was eden hazard at the game last night?

B18O1119.JPG

I thought it was Plan-B, something Puel could have done with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1