Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WilfND

BRENDAN Official

41 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I feel like the plan all along was to appoint him in the summer, but the Wolves game probably had him in close contact with an eye on a quick move, and Palace sealed the deal.

Regardless despite Vichai passing away, the swiftness of the move is impressive. I always say that I have great faith in the people running our club such as Susan Wheelan, and it's good to see that standards are still high despite Top taking over. Even Rudkin of recent has been decent :ph34r:! I thought Puel deserved time, but always said the best part about our club strategy was that even if he left, someone else with the right characteristics could easily pick up the pieces. Rodgers with his proven track record of developing young players and playing good technical football fits the bill perfectly and means that the transition should be seamless. It wouldn't even have surprised me if Rudkin briefed Rodgers on Youri Tielemans, who I believe is our number 1 summer target and who I actually think we might get!

Professionalism. Its been a long time since I heard that word in respect to Brendan's dealings with Liverpool and Celtic. Your post gives me great hope that he's finally working for a club with the proper organization and management.

There's a new manager here in Charlotte who used to work at Celtic by the name of Jim McGuinness. Brendan's advice to him "it's not about getting a club,its about getting the right club".

After initially suffering shock at the news yesterday I had a good look around the club website. It seems Brendan's taken his own advice and landed somewhere special and at a perfect time. Look forward to your posts.....and watching Brendan build a team.

Edited by SO1

14 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Professionalism. Its been a long time since I heard that word in respect to Brendan's dealings with Liverpool and Celtic. Your post gives me great hope that he's finally working for a club with the proper organization and management.

There's a new manager here in Charlotte who used to work at Celtic by the name of Jim McGuinness. Brendan's advice to him "it's not about getting a club,its about getting the right club".

After initially suffering shock at the news yesterday I had a good look around the club website. It seems Brendan's taken his own advice and landed somewhere special and a perfect time. Look forward to your posts.....and watching Brendan build a team.

I hope that isn't sarcasm. I'll take it as genuine. Wish you well with Neil Lennon - who I bloody love (but not as much as Muzzy), and I'm sure Celtic will win 3 3's. And I hope Rangers (or any team up there - preferably Aberdeen for family reasons) can start to challenge your dominance - just to make the game more fun. I hope you still win (more often than not) - but you have to work a hell of a lot harder for it. 

Edited by trabuch

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I hope that isn't sarcasm. I'll take it as genuine. Wish you well with Neil Lennon - who I bloody love (but not as much as Muzzy), and I'm sure Celtic will win 3 3's. And I hope Rangers (or any team up there) can start to challenge your dominance - just to make the game more fun. I hope you still win (more often than not) - but you have to work a hell of a lot harder for it. 

Its not. I've been following Brendan Rodgers since he was promoted with Swansea and have pretty much followed every game and every club he's been with. Welcome to the tour. Its one hell of of a ride if you love high energy attacking football like I do.

He's the only manager who bothered to talk about the game and his philosophy which sucked me right in. And now I'm here to watch more of the beautiful game and the way its created. Brendan style.

Been reading the Celtic forum to try and sift out BR’s potential negatives/downsides from amongst the abuse, and compare that to Puel’s.

From what I can gather:

1. He’s a bit of a used car salesman type - big ego, tells people what they want to hear, and has been caught lying while doing so (white lies, but still). This should help with man managing players and improve the relationship with fans, even if it is all a bit fake. Better than Puel, who was honest but didn’t bother communicating.

2. The players he wanted to buy were not brilliant and he wanted to pay prices which were quite high for Scotland. His recruitment will probably not be as good as Puel’s. Bit worrying, at least we really only need a striker and we haven’t got too much spare cash left to spend/waste anyway with paying for the training ground.

3. He has a good record of developing young players, but doesn’t give as much game time to academy players. So maybe the kids will get less game time than under Puel, but those that do will show more improvement.

4. Very good domestic record but very poor European record, compared to previous Celtic managers. Maybe we’ll now play better against the weaker teams and worse against the stronger teams. Probably an improvement because there are more non-top-6 teams than top-6 teams.

Is this accurate, for those on here who have followed him?

Just now, brucey said:

Been reading the Celtic forum to try and sift out BR’s potential negatives/downsides from amongst the abuse, and compare that to Puel’s.

From what I can gather:

1. He’s a bit of a used car salesman type - big ego, tells people what they want to hear, and has been caught lying while doing so (white lies, but still). This should help with man managing players and improve the relationship with fans, even if it is all a bit fake. Better than Puel, who was honest but didn’t bother communicating.

2. The players he wanted to buy were not brilliant and he wanted to pay prices which were quite high for Scotland. His recruitment will probably not be as good as Puel’s. Bit worrying, at least we really only need a striker and we haven’t got too much spare cash left to spend/waste anyway with paying for the training ground.

3. He has a good record of developing young players, but doesn’t give as much game time to academy players. So maybe the kids will get less game time than under Puel, but those that do will show more improvement.

4. Very good domestic record but very poor European record, compared to previous Celtic managers. Maybe we’ll now play better against the weaker teams and worse against the stronger teams. Probably an improvement because there are more non-top-6 teams than top-6 teams.

Is this accurate, for those on here who have followed him?

Recruitment at Celtic has been abysmal for some years now.  Time and time again players are signed and never given a look in - presumably out of principle, as it wasn't the manager who signed them.  For some time now we've had dross on loan (and permanent deals) from Manchester City, as Peter Lawwell's son works in the recruitment there - Brendan Rodgers said he had no idea who Daniel Arzani was, despite him signing hours later (see link).

I wouldn't look into his European record too much.  Recruitment is the reason we performed so poorly in Europe.  In many games we had wingers at RB, and central midfielders at CB - Lawwell refused to replace departed and injured players.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/brendan-rodgers-in-the-dark-about-celtic-s-link-to-daniel-arzani-1-4774042

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GGow said:

I'm a Celtic fan, and am personally embarrassed by that banner tonight.

Brendan Rodgers has been hamstrung and overruled at every opportunity by our tyrant of a chief executive (Peter Lawwell) - who has now been here for 16 years.  We were European finalists the season before he joined - its been a rapid rot ever since.  It is no surprise that he has left - and I reckon he anticipated the support turning on Lawwell, but alas they're eating out his hands as usual.

In Rodgers' first season he showed hunger and ambition; the football was beautiful, and he had a rampant and unbeaten Manchester City by the throat at Celtic Park.  His motivation then dwindled as it became clear he wouldn't be backed financially (nothing to do with him personally, no manager has ever been backed whilst Lawwell has been here) and would have cheap signings forced upon him by Lawwell.

Incredible sour grapes from a support who are that obsessed with Rangers, that they are too afraid to challenge Lawwell simply because he's apparently kept us afloat (Rangers went bust due to using illegal means to purchase players, something Celtic have never done so the argument is invalid) so instead are venting their anger at Rodgers for walking out - making him the 5th out of 6 under Lawwell to do so (Martin O'Neill couldn't wait to get out after Lawwell was appointed).

Brendan Rodgers will be a sensational appointment for you, and his style will fit the current crop of players.  I can see Leicester being a very dangerous side next season.

I'm sorry. I followed Brendan when he was there and I thought that maybe he could build something long lasting and special there but It wasn't to be. Your post is dead on. I couldn't have said it any better. You forgot the amateur refs. :frusty:

I won’t shed a tear for Celtic, when O’Neill went to them it broke me and they crowed that they were a bigger club (which is true). The table has turned even if it’s not an identical reversal but it’s certainly altered the perception of both clubs. We are more attractive than them for ambitious managers and now they can swallow the bitter pill. Celtic are a stepping stone for clubs like us now, a feeder club. They can kid themselves all they like about playing in Europe and winning a Mickey Mouse league, trebles mean **** all when there is no competition for the trophies. They and their league is in decline and they are quickly becoming complete irrelevance in modern football, Rodgers would have been upgrading himself if he moved to a mid table championship side, let alone us.

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

I'm sorry. I followed Brendan when he was there and I thought that maybe he could build something long lasting and special there but It wasn't to be. Your post is dead on. I couldn't have said it any better. You forgot the amateur refs. :frusty:

The worst part of it all, is that he was so hamstrung that no foundations have been left to be built on - Brendan Rodgers had the ability to have set Celtic up for years after he left.

I think the manner in which he left was simply because he had done all he could in regards to warning the support about Peter Lawwell - time and time again he called him out publicly, and the Celtic support simply stuck their fingers in their ears and bleated on about having record profits and getting £19m for Moussa Dembele.  He probably thinks we are beyond help, which we are!

Just now, GGow said:

The worst part of it all, is that he was so hamstrung that no foundations have been left to be built on - Brendan Rodgers had the ability to have set Celtic up for years after he left.

I think the manner in which he left was simply because he had done all he could in regards to warning the support about Peter Lawwell - time and time again he called him out publicly, and the Celtic support simply stuck their fingers in their ears and bleated on about having record profits and getting £19m for Moussa Dembele.  He probably thinks we are beyond help, which we are!

I had always thought his vision for the club was to set up recruiting and the academy to grow and attract players all over the world. Much like the big Portuguese teams do. Buy low Sell high. Red Bull Salzberg is an excellent team to look at. There are models throughout Europe. I guess Celtic doesn't want to invest in that model. Probably because it takes years to set up.

Just so people know Celtic is Rodgers family and friends club. Back from when he lived in N. Ireland. Thanks for being rational.

People love to say Rodgers plays tiki-taka, but he really doesn't.  In truth it's much closer to Dutch "total football", with it's positional flexibility and improvization.  In theory that's wonderful - football doesn't get any more beautiful.  But you have to have the players to make it work (sound familiar?) which right now we frankly don't.  Stylistically his approach is going to require even more patience from supporters than Puel's did, which is a bit alarming.  But I suspect since Rodgers doesn't have a French accent and is a relentless self-promoter - which fans seem to want - he's going to get a lot more rope to hang himself than Puel did.

I hope he can pull it off, but it's a longshot given our status in the league.  Celtic is about the worst predictor you could look at because he had the competition hopelessly outclassed domestically and he was hopelessly outclassed in Europe - meaningless really.  You have to look at his time in the PL and that's a mixed bag to say the least.

Edited by Deeg67

A couple years old now, but here's an excellent look at the lure - and potential siren's song nature - of Total Football (through the lens of Rodgers - and Roberto Martinez).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2016/mar/07/roberto-martinez-brendan-rodgers-pep-guardiola-everton-liverpool

Football is an eternal struggle between endeavor and entrenchment, idealism and cynicism, art and drudgery, ambition and pragmatism.  Reality dictates that success almost always requires some combination of all of the above - especially at a mid-sized club like LCFC.  What Rodgers has never really demonstrated is pragmatism - and he was never forced to at Celtic, where he was effectively lining up a premier league side against league 1 opposition.  His success at Leicester probably rests on his ability to adapt, hybridize and be realistic - and on the supporters' willingness to show a lot more patience with a long-term project than they did with Puel.

what i would love to see from the new boss do ist up, 1- get rid of all the dead wood in the next transfer window. 2- make sure we keep the players like chilwell, harry, nididi, maddison, tielemans, barnes, pereira, benkovic and soyuncu. if he can keep this lot and add 3-4 quality players and i means top quality players we have a side that could finish in the top 4 next year. and if this means moving players like vardy and kasper on, well they seem to be the driving force in the change room, and if they arn"t on ur side then he will be seeing the door just like puel. 

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

£200m war chest according to the sun lol 

there is a point that I’m sure quite a few have thought about our nett spend over the past few years and noted it wasn’t high.  The assumption being that the owners wanted the club to be ‘self sufficient’ and the profits to be ploughed back into infrastructure projects.

perhpas it’s all a long term plan ..........  poor old Claude fitted the bill of ‘fall guy’ to bring the younger players through and break up the ageing squad. Making enemies amongst some of the senior pros would never work in the longer term for him ......

im sure there was no intention to sell DD so that sorts out the ‘emergency’ purchase of silva but Iborra looks a weird buy in that strategy. 

lets see what Brendan spends in the summer - it may be quite surprising  ...........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Spread over 3 years and 6 transfer windows.

And it's the effing Sun, for cripes' sake.

The Scottish Sun have been bang on about Rodgers, they were well ahead of the game in their reporting. How the Scottish Sun has such great contacts and reporting God only knows... if it's in our Sun, then it's likely trash.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

there is a point that I’m sure quite a few have thought about our nett spend over the past few years and noted it wasn’t high.  The assumption being that the owners wanted the club to be ‘self sufficient’ and the profits to be ploughed back into infrastructure projects.

perhpas it’s all a long term plan ..........  poor old Claude fitted the bill of ‘fall guy’ to bring the younger players through and break up the ageing squad. Making enemies amongst some of the senior pros would never work in the longer term for him ......

im sure there was no intention to sell DD so that sorts out the ‘emergency’ purchase of silva but Iborra looks a weird buy in that strategy. 

lets see what Brendan spends in the summer - it may be quite surprising  ...........

We have and will lose so many players in the summer there is going to be a huge amount come off the wage bill to give lots of room to manoeuvre.

I don't think we need to spend massively anyway. Big CM and Striker signings and we might be set.... then again he might fancy Silva and Slimani and we don't sign anyone lol

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We have and will lose so many players in the summer there is going to be a huge amount come off the wage bill to give lots of room to manoeuvre.

I don't think we need to spend massively anyway. Big CM and Striker signings and we might be set.... then again he might fancy Silva and Slimani and we don't sign anyone lol

We perhaps don’t but my point is there is a general assumption on here that we don’t have wads of dosh to spend nor the inclination to spend it anyway .......that could be wrong and a couple of stand out purchases could rock up ......