Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WilfND

BRENDAN Official

7 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I may be wrong but I doubt they would cost that much as clubs in scotland typically can't command such fees. That being said if Rodgers does indeed want them (which is debatable) I doubt that that kind of valuation would be a problem.

Dembele cost £20m and we sold him basically because he downed tools. Foreset, McGregor and Tierney are all Celtic fans. They aren’t as easy to convince as Rodgers. There’s also a massive difference. Rodgers has always been open about moving back down south. McGregor, Forrest and Tierney have all signed 5 and 6 year deals. 

6 hours ago, SO1 said:

All depends on how greedy Lawell will get. Armstrong for 7 million. Like the peach says we don't even know If Rodgers wants them. Don't kid yourself about them not wanting to Quadruple their pay packets. Reality sucks when you can't compete. Sorry.

Patronising. I know fine well we can’t compete and I’m fine with it. Rodgers ruined his legacy. No true Celtic fan would walk away from history to do that. I love him, he’s brought many happy memories but he was always in it for himself. Leicester is a good club for him and I wish him well. The players mentioned are different. They bleed green and white. If they weren’t players, they would be in the stand. 

1 hour ago, LinekersApples said:

There’s no loyalty in football any more and money talks. It’s a short career and Scottish teams simply can’t compete.

Adam Rooney left the SPL from a team who had qualified for the Europa cup to join Non league Salford.

I know Aberdeen aren’t Celtic.... but we have a few quid more than Salford and some up and coming facilities that a lot of people would like to work in everyday, especially earning north of 80k a week.

several players considerably over 100k a week (Vardy 140) and a third choice keeper who never makes the bench, doesn’t play U23s and is essentially a training buddy who gets 23k a week!

A lot of my family are Celtic fans and it’s a special club and must be amazing to play for, but doing the same thing, for a significantly higher wage, for the same manager....in a better league....during a very short career, is actually a no brainer.

Its a sad state of affairs, but it’s not the fault of the players. Very few will pass up such opportunities when the money comes knocking.

With all due respect to Leicester and I mean them no disrespect when I say this. You are in no way a club like us. Everything you have, is down to TV money and finances. Without the money, you’d be nothing. You look down on us because we play in Scotland. I would rather play in Scotland with kids who bleed than become a tourist team in a tourist league. We all know the premier league is a just a money spinner now. I’d rather sign players who want to play for the club than players than money grabbing mercenaries.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

99% of Celtic fans were say the same about our chance of getting BR a couple days ago.

There is little or no loyalty in football, I would be surprised if you resisted a decent offer for either of them in the region of 25-30m 

If you look back through my posts on this, I always said Rodgers would leave soon. Leicester were a good club for him to go to. He will have you playing good football and your youth players will develop unbelievably. 

Mcgregor will cost you £25m on his own. We already turned down £10m for Forrest couple of seasons back and he’s signed a longer term deal since then. I’m not for one minute insinuating that you can’t afford £40m for both. Just that I don’t think you’ll pay the money for them. 

7 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

With all due respect to Leicester and I mean them no disrespect when I say this. You are in no way a club like us. Everything you have, is down to TV money and finances. Without the money, you’d be nothing. You look down on us because we play in Scotland. I would rather play in Scotland with kids who bleed than become a tourist team in a tourist league. We all know the premier league is a just a money spinner now. I’d rather sign players who want to play for the club than players than money grabbing mercenaries.

Surely without money, every club is nothing? 

No one has disrespected your club, Celtic have huge amounts of history and success and is a 'bigger' club than us. But we happen to play in one of the biggest leagues in the world, where players all over the world wish to play and fans pay to watch. It may well be a "tourist league" but after the cr4p the club has faced in the past 15 years I am more than happy to be apart of it and be competing with some of the best. This isn't the "big bad premier league" poaching your staff, we've had to work to get where we are. This isn't a Chelsea or Man City buying their way up the league.

Also, not every player is a mercenary, we've got players in the squad who would be in the stands if not a player. 

27 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

Dembele cost £20m and we sold him basically because he downed tools. Foreset, McGregor and Tierney are all Celtic fans. They aren’t as easy to convince as Rodgers. There’s also a massive difference. Rodgers has always been open about moving back down south. McGregor, Forrest and Tierney have all signed 5 and 6 year deals. 

Patronising. I know fine well we can’t compete and I’m fine with it. Rodgers ruined his legacy. No true Celtic fan would walk away from history to do that. I love him, he’s brought many happy memories but he was always in it for himself. Leicester is a good club for him and I wish him well. The players mentioned are different. They bleed green and white. If they weren’t players, they would be in the stand. 

If you look back through my posts on this, I always said Rodgers would leave soon. Leicester were a good club for him to go to. He will have you playing good football and your youth players will develop unbelievably. 

Mcgregor will cost you £25m on his own. We already turned down £10m for Forrest couple of seasons back and he’s signed a longer term deal since then. I’m not for one minute insinuating that you can’t afford £40m for both. Just that I don’t think you’ll pay the money for them. 

Apologies, I thought you were saying £40m each.

I actually surprised he came, I've got a friend who lives in the Sterling area, who a massive Celtic fan. I've spent enough time in and around the club, stadium to  know the  stature of the club. One of my biggest football regrets is turn down tickets for Celtic Vs Barcelona. 

So I'm not looking down on Celtic, or Scottish football, I actually think it's the sad state of football that team with the history of Celtic, Ajax, Porto can't compete financial with team in the lower end of the PL. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

I applaud your pride in your club.

However, I sense a bit of a belittlement of the Premier League on your behalf, just as much as English football fans tend to ridicule the SPL for its size and the repetitive outcome at the end of each season.

I don't think you can hold Rodgers' decision against him. If rumours are true, he had been disappointed in the Celtic board since last summer, and despite all your bragging, Celtic simply don't have the financial means to compete with PL clubs.

He sees Leicester as an ambitious task and I applaud him for accepting the challenge. Scottish football had become too boring with one team dominating the league for so long (a bit like Bayern Munich in Germany). You can only play St. Johnstone, Falkirk and St. Mirren so often before it becomes a rather tedious affair.

He's gotten all the trophies for you that you can imagine. Celtic were hardly ever going to compete properly in the Europa League or Champions League, so be proud of and thankful for your recent domestic achievements.

As far as the finances part is concerned, the same holds truth with every club. If Celtic didn't have that much money (in SPL terms), you wouldn't be where you are yourselves.

Besides, you picked the wrong club with Leicester to teach people lessons with regards to youth players - we have one of the youngest squads in the league, and players such as Maguire (on a four-year contract), Chilwell (own academy), Söyüncü (22), Tielemans (Belgium international; on loan), Barnes (own academy), Choudhury (own academy), Maddison (local lad), Benkovic, Ndidi (22), Iheanacho (22), the future looks rosy. Even Kapustka (on loan at OH Leuven in Belgium) could still come good. All of these players have massive potential and are a very good investment for the times to come. We are also keeping tabs on Sheffield Wednesday legend David Hirst's son George, with whom we have a first pre-contract agreement. Also, Vardy is far from being finished yet.

I've been to Scotland in the summer once and loved every minute of it - although I have to say, I know the Edinburgh and Stirling area better than I do Glasgow (not at all, that is).

Lovely place, lovely people.

It's just when the subject shifts to football that the Scottish tend to become isolationists. Wish you took it a bit more on the chin and accept the fact that the SPL will never be as much as an attractive proposition as any other major European league, the EPL in particular. English players have already shown that playing abroad can broaden your own horizon and turn out to be a great move (Sancho at Dortmund, Patrick Roberts at Girona (whom you surely remember well), Vieira at Sampdoria, Reiss Nelson at Hoffenheim, Edwards at Excelsior), so expect your youngsters to follow suit sooner than later.

Looking forward to this summer, a lot of our older players' contracts run out (Okazaki, Fuchs, Morgan, Simpson) and this will free up wages for new players. I wouldn't be so sure about you being able to cling onto players such as Tierney, Forrest, McGregor or even Rogic for too long. If a player sees the potential in playing for an ambitious EPL club (or any other ambitious club outside the SPL), not a lot of hesitation needed.

Wish you well for the remainder of the season. Although I have to say for sportive reasons, I'd rather see Rangers win the title this time around.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

So Jamie Vardy has a huge chance to move to Arsenal but he decided to stay with us? The man bleeds Blue, you would be surprised how much the players love it here 

Edited by chapero82
  • Like 1

I was gutted to see Rodgers go yesterday. 

I have absolutely no problem with him going to Leicester. I'm more annoyed that he didn't see this Season through (apparently Leicester said they'd wait??).

It's bitter sweet considering the success he brought Celtic. But like any Club, no Player or Manager is bigger than the Club itself.

We've lost great players and managers in our history and moved on.

PS Tierney allegedly told BR to do one when he was saying his goodbyes...

Love how they act like their team isn't full of "mercenary" players. 1 German, 2 Frenchman, 1 Belgian, someone from Norway, someone from Israel, oh and an Englishman.  So that's 7 foreigners in their starting 11, we had 5 in ours (one of which has lived in the country their whole life pretty much).

• Like 3

Celtic fan here.

Just want to say a few things regarding Rodgers. Of course you will have noticed the outrage from us about the nature of the departure. 

When Rodgers joined he said he had been a Celtic fan all his life and that he comes from a big Celtic family, making out he was a die hard Celtic man. He constantly stated how he was in his 'dream job' and happy in Glasgow, and that how Celtic was NOT a stepping stone etc etc. We all bought into this and adored him. Loved how he came across in interviews and how he dealt with the press. We did idolise him, or at the vast majority did anyway.

Then, he ups and leaves to the first club that comes knocking at a CRUCIAL point in our season. We still have the league to win on our quest for ten, and also a Scottish cup to compete for. 

Personally, I would not have had a problem if he had stayed with us until the end of the season, got an immense send off - which he would have - and then moved on to a new challenge. A 'Celtic man' would not have left his 'dream club' the way he has. Sneaked out the back door with no class what so ever. Many previous Celtic managers who have wanted to leave or had a fallen out with the board have at least had the decency to see out the season, not Brendan.

He said in his interview that he will 'give his life' for your club. Well, he couldn't even give another two months for his boyhood club, so I would take that statement with a pinch of salt.

Don't get me wrong, fantastic manager for us in terms of success domestically. Cannot fault him for that. European form is a completely different story mind you.

But, he has completely ruined his reputation with us Celtic fans when he could have had legendary status.

Anyway, just thought I would give you's a heads up on your new boss. If he has success with you, don't be surprised if he leaves you the way he left us!

And you're not getting Tierney lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CFC88 said:

Celtic fan here.

Just want to say a few things regarding Rodgers. Of course you will have noticed the outrage from us about the nature of the departure. 

When Rodgers joined he said he had been a Celtic fan all his life and that he comes from a big Celtic family, making out he was a die hard Celtic man. He constantly stated how he was in his 'dream job' and happy in Glasgow, and that how Celtic was NOT a stepping stone etc etc. We all bought into this and adored him. Loved how he came across in interviews and how he dealt with the press. We did idolise him, or at the vast majority did anyway.

Then, he ups and leaves to the first club that comes knocking at a CRUCIAL point in our season. We still have the league to win on our quest for ten, and also a Scottish cup to compete for. 

Personally, I would not have had a problem if he had stayed with us until the end of the season, got an immense send off - which he would have - and then moved on to a new challenge. A 'Celtic man' would not have left his 'dream club' the way he has. Sneaked out the back door with no class what so ever. Many previous Celtic managers who have wanted to leave or had a fallen out with the board have at least had the decency to see out the season, not Brendan.

He said in his interview that he will 'give his life' for your club. Well, he couldn't even give another two months for his boyhood club, so I would take that statement with a pinch of salt.

Don't get me wrong, fantastic manager for us in terms of success domestically. Cannot fault him for that. European form is a completely different story mind you.

But, he has completely ruined his reputation with us Celtic fans when he could have had legendary status.

Anyway, just thought I would give you's a heads up on your new boss. If he has success with you, don't be surprised if he leaves you the way he left us!

Well, more fool you for believing him fact he used your club as a stop gap to return to the premier league.

Your 8 points clear of Rangers if you f**k up now, that's not Brendan's fault, he has left your club in a good position.

I don't doubt if he is successful here, he will move on to bigger things that's the reality of life.

5 minutes ago, CFC88 said:

Luckily I don't anyone is naive enough to believe this!

All managers end up leaving a club, either through being sacked or leaving for a bigger club. If Rodgers ends up leaving for a bigger club, that's alright by me as it will mean he performed with Leicester.

Sure it's always nice to have a legendary manager who is a die hard supporter, but those are very rare in football these days.

9 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

The Times says he wants McGregor and Forrest. Not sure myself but will be well worth the Celtic fan meltdown. 

No doubt there will be plenty of "thank you" posts from those fans given he's just completed a "double treble" and leaves them well set up on the way to a third (I've not seen one so far)...maybe the term "entitled fans" should be reserved solely for Celtic's "supporters".

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Luckily I don't anyone is naive enough to believe this!

All managers end up leaving a club, either through being sacked or leaving for a bigger club. If Rodgers ends up leaving for a bigger club, that's alright by me as it will mean he performed with Leicester.

Sure it's always nice to have a legendary manager who is a die hard supporter, but those are very rare in football these days.

So you will be fine if one day he just leaves midway through a season? I doubt that.

Just now, CFC88 said:

So you will be fine if one day he just leaves midway through a season? I doubt that.

Midway through the season! wake up mate it's only 10 games, it's pretty much nearing the end of the season. Not at the half way point. You're 8 points clear of Rangers now, you have basically won the title, unless you lose 3 on the spin.

2 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

No doubt there will be plenty of "thank you" posts from those fans given he's just completed a "double treble" and leaves them well set up on the way to a third (I've not seen one so far)...maybe the term "entitled fans" should be reserved solely for Celtic's "supporters".

We are thankful for what he has achieved with us, of course. We are just angry at the way he has left us.

• Like 2

I could not imagine supporting a team that dominate a league to the extent that Celtic do these days...all be it in a very minor league....It must be so dull.

I wouldn't trade the rollercoaster that is Leicester City for any other club in world football.

Also as a side note, we have more history than Celtic.  3 whole years more.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CFC88 said:

I would hope everyone is well aware that we are a stepping stone for him back to a top 6 club. My view of it though is that we were perhaps his best bet in terms of making him look good and he perhaps wouldn't get a better opportunity to rebuild his reputation in England, which is why he took it now if we said it's now or never.

We are a great fit for his style, loads of exciting young talent, amazing new training complex coming up, ground expansion. Even if a top six club decided not to give him another chance after a few years of doing well here, there is also the potential to really grow something here that perhaps there isn't at a lot of other clubs.

• Like 2

Just now, Babylon said:

I would hope everyone is well aware that we are a stepping stone for him back to a top 6 club. My view of it though is that we were perhaps his best bet in terms of making him look good and he perhaps wouldn't get a better opportunity to rebuild his reputation in England, which is why he took it now if we said it's now or never.

We are a great fit for his style, loads of exciting young talent, amazing new training complex coming up, ground expansion. Even if a top six club decided not to give him another chance after a few years of doing well here, there is also the potential to really grow something here that perhaps there isn't at a lot of other clubs.

Hearing rumours this morning that he forced the move himself. Apparently Leicester would have waited until the end of the season? Don't know if there is any truth to that though.

28 minutes ago, CFC88 said:

Celtic fan here.

I don't think we need/want Tierney, shouldn't worry mate.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

When's the training complex due to be completed and ready for use? I keep seeing this mentioned, but if it's late 2020/2021 then he's probably not even going to get to use it haha

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not much chance of a top 6 club wanting him....he's British!! They all like the foreign Johnnys!

Seriously, he's got a fair bit to prove before a top 6 club comes calling, as winning trophies for Celtic is not the huge ask as it is in the P/L. Although if he's any good we may just be that top 6 club!

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

When's the training complex due to be completed and ready for use? I keep seeing this mentioned, but if it's late 2020/2021 then he's probably not even going to get to use it haha

Pre season before 2020-2021 so next Summer.