Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Why isn't Europe's Most Creative Player in the England Squad?

He isn't in the England squad because the game isn't played on paper. Define goal scoring opportunity? If it is a sideways pass to Ndidi to blaze over from 30 yards then that could be 20 of the 81! 

Too many stats in football for me.

On current form he should be nowhere near and as for him playing deeper, it reminds me of when Rooney was show ponying around at the end of his England career. Keep him as a 10 and let Tielemans join in from a deeper position like a Muzzy Izzet all those years ago. 

Hopefully he can get back some of his early form and then let's talk about England again. 

Edited by Gazza M
  • Like 4

He’s young and in his first season of top flight football. Give him time and he’ll beckme just as good as we’re all hoping so missing out won’t hurt him at all in the long run. My only gripe with the whole thing is seeing Loftus-Cheek, Barkley and Delph in the squad, I think all are capable but don’t actually play anywhere near enough minutes for their clubs. This was something I thought Southgate had gotten rid of but it seems not. 

We should be really positive about Maddison.  There is a tendency on this forum to knock players.  Mahrez was poor to many posters.  Vardy has had his share of criticism.  Stats have limitations but these also show that if the team is functioning fully, Maddison could be a major factor for us.

1 hour ago, FoxFossil said:

My Doctor has requested this thread be closed.

Laughing so much at the idea that someone could suggest Maddison is better than Messi, in danger of serious injury.

quite incredible that a real journo can write crap like this 

he would be better employed on talkSPORT rather than the independent .........

• Like 1

Paul Merson saying James Maddison is facing ' Matt Le Tissier' England problem!

Southgate says England don't play with a number ten and there isn't room for him in the England squad.

James Maddison is being unlucky not to be in the England squad

On 15/03/2019 at 11:27, FIF said:

Vardy mostly. 

Of course he's now in his "new manager" bounce phase where Jamie so often scores well at the beginning of manager's reigns. Let's hope he keeps this up and doesn't follow the previous trend and we end up saying goodbye to Rodgers before the end of next season.

Yes you are right of course, Vardy has been shit for us.

• Haha 1

I think part of his problem is that he's probably born 7 or 8 years too late, he's not a particularly modern 10 - he's more of a Sneijder or Mata type player than De Bruyne or Eriksen. Technically he's superb but he's not got the engine, tenacity or pace (yet?). It's entirely possible he could blossom under Rodgers and he's certainly a brilliant with the ball already but there are definitely parts of his game that he needs to develop significantly. Would help his image and perception if he was less of a courgette off the pitch as well

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

Paul Merson saying James Maddison is facing ' Matt Le Tissier' England problem!

Southgate says England don't play with a number ten and there isn't room for him in the England squad.

James Maddison is being unlucky not to be in the England squad

He's not unlucky,  he's just very clearly nowhere near good enough in any position to play unless you're wearing very strong blue tinted spectacles!  There are so many other players miles ahead of him. Southgate is hardly going to come out and say that though is he.

As for Le Tissier, as much as he was a precocious talent, in equal measure he was an absolute lazy bugger and had he been at a bigger team would have spent more time on the bench. His England career didn't take off under more than one manager for a reason  ... himself. 

If that sounds harsh on Maddison it shouldn't.  He's young, still learning, hasn't had the benefit of training round great players like Sterling or Rashford have for example and until recently, has played lower standard football. Some people expect too much too soon as do some young players without putting the work in and thinking too much of themselves. Maddison has all the potential but could go either way.  If he keeps his head down and listens to a decent coach like Rodgers, the football world's there for the taking for him.

11 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think Maddison's potential peak lies around prime Sigurdsson. Whether that will be good enough to break into the England squad remains to be seen.

I can see the similarity, even Maddison is quicker than him though and is probably a better open play creator so his ceiling is most likely higher. The model for Maddison should be Eriksen, both technically similar but Eriksen's work rate and intelligence set him apart 

16 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I can see the similarity, even Maddison is quicker than him though and is probably a better open play creator so his ceiling is most likely higher. The model for Maddison should be Eriksen, both technically similar but Eriksen's work rate and intelligence set him apart 

Eriksen is 5 years older, Maddison still has plenty of time to develop into a player as good or even better. He has the talent, it's whether he applies it and works hard enough to get to that point. 

On 15/03/2019 at 11:27, FIF said:

Vardy mostly. 

Of course he's now in his "new manager" bounce phase where Jamie so often scores well at the beginning of manager's reigns. Let's hope he keeps this up and doesn't follow the previous trend and we end up saying goodbye to Rodgers before the end of next season.

To be fair, for how many good chances Vardy got under Puel, his record was very good.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think Maddison's potential peak lies around prime Sigurdsson. Whether that will be good enough to break into the England squad remains to be seen.

I think that’s a fair assessment. It’s why I wouldn’t be against signing a box to box to compliment Tielemans in the 4-3-3.

Or we could just give Tavares a chance