Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Why is there still a huge debate over wearing a helmet? Surely with today's knowledge on risks of concussion and the speed some bowlers bowl at it should be standard?

Or is this similar to how cyclists debate wearing helmets 

Very interesting during the Lords test Sky showed The Ashes in the 80’s, nobody wore helmets back then, Thompson and Lillee were seriously quick especially on the bouncy Aussie pitches, I think for very good reason it’s standard now.

Cycling is slightly different as nobody is purposely intending to hit your head.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Very interesting during the Lords test Sky showed The Ashes in the 80’s, nobody wore helmets back then, Thompson and Lillee were seriously quick especially on the bouncy Aussie pitches, I think for very good reason it’s standard now.

Cycling is slightly different as nobody is purposely intending to hit your head.

I wonder if compulsory helmets has become one of the reasons why so few batsmen can play a decent hook shot these days?

When you didn't have them you learnt very quickly to play it.

I always hated wearing lids as a kid. See the ball so much better without one and could't wait to wear a cap instead once I started playing men's cricket. Also find it occasionally gives you the edge against blokes who reckon they're quick and fancy trying to bump you, then just end up bowling medium-paced half-trackers. Thanks for that champ.

Obviously I'd wear one if I genuinely thought I was facing someone who might do me some proper damage though.

Are they compulsory against pace bowling? I know many batsmen take them off against spin bowling.

I used to hate bowling in amateur cricket as I was pretty much the only one that wore a helmet in my league. When I was younger I was pretty quick (broke someones rib once) but not very consistent at all, and sometimes the batsman not wearing a helmet actually put me off a lot due to fear of hitting their head (I used to chuck in a few full pace head height beamers completely accidentally), and I have hit people in the head with bouncers before, I used to find it quite unnerving. In my old team there was an old boy who didnt even wear gloves or a box which was just ****ing weird.

14 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I always hated wearing lids as a kid. See the ball so much better without one and could't wait to wear a cap instead once I started playing men's cricket. Also find it occasionally gives you the edge against blokes who reckon they're quick and fancy trying to bump you, then just end up bowling medium-paced half-trackers. Thanks for that champ.

Obviously I'd wear one if I genuinely thought I was facing someone who might do me some proper damage though.

I’d wear one, too many dodgy pitches in local cricket!

8 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

This is where cricket loses the casual fan. Yes it's probably dark and I wouldn't want to face Archer in the dark but tough shit. 

Was about to post something similar.

It's a pain in the ass the game hasn't evolved to be able to play in weather such as this.

You'd be proper pissed off paying a decent amount for a ticket and getting the equivalent of half a T20 game. 

36 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Was about to post something similar.

It's a pain in the ass the game hasn't evolved to be able to play in weather such as this.

You'd be proper pissed off paying a decent amount for a ticket and getting the equivalent of half a T20 game. 

Especially with floodlights 

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Poor,poor fielding...again!!!

Good then poor,then Good then Bad bowling...

The weather definitely helped the Aussies settle....

Frustration of Breaks seemed to upset England ....

We might lose it just on those Weather breaks...

Normally weather breaks upset the batsmen, this time it seems to have saved them as we were on top, typically Warner gets runs when there’s no Smith