Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

I think when i saw the world cup, the trend SEEMED to be referees being too quick to use VAR to overturn decisions. 

I can remember 3 in particular. A handball given in a game between portugal and iran (think against iran), a penalty to france vs australia and in the womens world cup where england were awarded a penalty vs USA.

all three were highly dubious where the no penalty decision was reversed.

Now in the premier league i can only assume that they dont want to undermine the quality of on field referreing by changing decisions.

But the balance is still TOTALLY wrong.

Were still giving 1mm offsides and disallowing goals for balls brushing hands and not overturning bad decisions (or a ball hitting a hand as was the case yesterday).

Its not a new thing either. VAR has been around in the US, italy germany etc to be implemented better

Hope its not controversial to say but i think Chelsea actually really disrespected Sheffield United by putting on that youngster Gilmour onto the field.

It was almost like saying who cares weve won. We will just chuck anyone on. 

I think Lampard is doing this not for their career development but just as an easy get out clause.

In not beating leicester and sheff utd he can just say its jam tomorrow, were playing the youngsters and they need time to develop. That the team will improve at some point in the future.

He has a couple of easy ways to weasel out of criticism over what has been a very poor start to the season, and a team that looks naive and badly organised, two qualities you wouldnt assosciate with Mourinho, Ancelotti or Conte

6 hours ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

I’m struggling with the Grealish incident tbh. 

I’m not seeing what you all are.

I’m definitely not saying I’m right because clearly nobody else is talking crap like me. But I’ve watched that clip loads and wouldn’t have liked to have called it because I’m just not seeing it. 

Does anyone think he was fouled but made a meal of it? I know he didn’t claim a foul but tbh, I’d have (wrongly) booked him for diving because that’s what it looked like. 

I’m off to watch it again because I’m missing the bloody obvious 

I think he gets clipped, minimally so. 

The issue about appealing for a foul is a moot point for me. 

Think the referee could have let the play go on but he wants to make a decision and has probably felt the pressure to do so. Instant reaction if, from his one real-time angle he sees, he thinks he's dived. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

I’m struggling with the Grealish incident tbh. 

I’m not seeing what you all are.

I’m definitely not saying I’m right because clearly nobody else is talking crap like me. But I’ve watched that clip loads and wouldn’t have liked to have called it because I’m just not seeing it. 

Does anyone think he was fouled but made a meal of it? I know he didn’t claim a foul but tbh, I’d have (wrongly) booked him for diving because that’s what it looked like. 

I’m off to watch it again because I’m missing the bloody obvious 

I might get a lot of stick for this but I think the ref got it spot on. Personally I'm glad he booked him for diving as it'll stop players doing it in future. IMO there was never enough contact for Grealish to go down like he did and the more i watch it the more convinced i am that he threw his head and arms back. If he hadnt done that i think the ref would have played on. Getting a bump on your hip doesn't cause a slightly theatrical leap forwards. Yes he got the ball away but it all happened so quick I'm convinced Grealish was trying to win a pen. Everyone will have their opinion though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Do you guys think Man Utd and Chelsea will stay this bad the whole season?

They are going to be very inconsistent - just simply don’t have the squads, particularly when European football hits. 

Man U are an injury off playing Ashley young or Phil Jones in defence, equally thin in midfield and only three senior strikers.

Chelsea is a bit different as they are missing players at the moment. Equally Lampard seems to chasing the youth line too much rather than getting a balance right 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

tammy abraham just doesn’t look like a footballer. doesn’t move like a footballer or act like a footballer. really weird to watch. 

I don't know his exact ethnicity but he's built like a maasai warrior.

The Grealish thing is ridiculous, he's not dived to con the ref, he's maybe dived to get the ball through to Lansbury. There's a slight follow through but it looks an honest attempt to play the ball across. He throws his legs out before he hits the ground but nothing out the ordinary, no claim for a foul in any way.

The Villa goal should have stood. Grealish doesn't claim for a foul. He runs through, loses his footing, manages to offload the ball the ball to Lansbury. People are allowed to fall over in football, Grealish does that, but he never claims he was fouled so it's not a dive. Huge mistake be Friend, sees a players fall over and immediately blows for a dive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

The Villa goal should have stood. Grealish doesn't claim for a foul. He runs through, loses his footing, manages to offload the ball the ball to Lansbury. People are allowed to fall over in football, Grealish does that, but he never claims he was fouled so it's not a dive. Huge mistake be Friend, sees a players fall over and immediately blows for a dive.

The fact he's blown means the goal wouldn't stand or be able to be overturned anyhow surely? 

• Like 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

The fact he's blown means the goal wouldn't stand or be able to be overturned anyhow surely? 

Exactly, but he should never have blown. If he thought Grealish was fouled he should have played advantage. He shouldn't be blowing for a dive, because all Grealish has done is fall over, he's not claimed he's been fouled. The fact Friend blew the whistle ended the play at that point, so rules out VAR being able to give the goal. As it's not a foul, VAR can't give a free kick instead, it could tell Friend that Grealish didn't dive, but what can he do with that info as there was no infringement from either team. Too quick on the whistle and cost Villa a goal.

Just now, StanSP said:

Why the fvck did Norwich play in a colour that is more clashing with West Ham's kit as opposed to yellow and green?! 

Don't a club have to use they're away kit a certain amount of times per season? Norwich won't clash with many teams with their home kit, but West Ham was probably the wrong team to choose a change against.

28 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Why didn't VAR rule out Newcastles goal? Exactly the same as Wolves goal against us.

Because they missed it. And they've admitted it was a mistake. This weekend has done zero favours for VAR.

Leicester have probably been the beneficiaries of it more than any other I reckon - Wolves goal, Pen incident v Bournemouth, Tielemans challenge. 

14 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Because they missed it. And they've admitted it was a mistake. This weekend has done zero favours for VAR.

Leicester have probably been the beneficiaries of it more than any other I reckon - Wolves goal, Pen incident v Bournemouth, Tielemans challenge. 

Good, people should want us to win the league again. Referee assistance can only help ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Grealish DIDNT claim a foul.

Not "doesnt" claim a foul.

Sorry to be pedantic but why do people speak like this when discussing football.

Other people saying "hes not dived" or "hes not blown" about the referee

Its he didnt dive, and the referee didnt blow.

I know im now going to have the p**s taken out of me but it just annoys me a bit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donk said:

Sorry to be pedantic but why do people speak like this when discussing football.

I know im now going to have the p**s taken out of me but it just annoys me a bit

You need the 'Pedantry Central' thread, my friend. I started it a while ago :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Donk said:

People talk like that because they are talking about the moment in time, as the ref sees it. As its all happening and the ref observes it, Grealish doesn't claim a foul. As you talking through the incident as though it's happening it makes sense. I could also have used didn't but both actually work.

And you might want to work on your own grammar and punctuation before you criticise :thumbup:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

*Didn't

*Doesn't

*I'm

It was more a point about the way people speak ive been tapping on my phone and was obviously going to be immediately pulled up but lets move on. I agree with the point made

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

People talk like that because they are talking about the moment in time, as the ref sees it. As its all happening and the ref observes it, Grealish doesn't claim a foul. As you talking through the incident as though it's happening it makes sense. I could also have used didn't but both actually work.

And you might want to work on your own grammar and punctuation before you criticise :thumbup:

Accepted apologies

• Haha 2