Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

31 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Because they missed it. And they've admitted it was a mistake. This weekend has done zero favours for VAR.

Leicester have probably been the beneficiaries of it more than any other I reckon - Wolves goal, Pen incident v Bournemouth, Tielemans challenge. 

The penalty incident was a dive. Anyway that, and the Tielemens tackle are both subjective decision, which I think VAR should be stronger on, but thats another discussion.

The handball rule is clear as day. Its nice VAR admitted to missing it, but if it's not spotting that then what's the point. It spotted Boly's, it somehow spotted Laportes but misses this one. So what we've ended up doing is doubling the number of refs in the premier league for them to seem more inept because they are sat there watching tv and still missing simple things. I could forgive the ref missing that Hayden handball, that's not bad refereeing, I can't forgive someone watching it on screen from numerous angles.

20 hours ago, Manini said:

If you had no idea about football and you put this game on you’d think this was a relegation battle game. 

It could be.

The Tielemans challenge isn't the first one like it this season to be reviewed by VAR only to be decided it's not worthy of a red is it? The only one given a red was at Brighton last week but the fella in question jumped into it so was 'out of control' 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

13 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

The Tielemans challenge isn't the first one like it this season to be reviewed by VAR only to be decided it's not worthy of a red is it? The only one given a red was at Brighton last week but the fella in question jumped into it so was 'out of control' 

Ref gave that straight away didn't he? VAR didn't give the red.

36 minutes ago, Donk said:

Grealish DIDNT claim a foul.

Not "doesnt" claim a foul.

Sorry to be pedantic but why do people speak like this when discussing football.

Other people saying "hes not dived" or "hes not blown" about the referee

Its he didnt dive, and the referee didnt blow.

I know im now going to have the p**s taken out of me but it just annoys me a bit

If you think these are bad, Charlie Nicholas on Sky is fond of these and takes it further.  “Pure dead brilliant Glaswegian grammar, by the way, but”.

”He’s came and crossed it and now Leicester have went two one ahead”

• Haha 1

Yea the Tielemans thing was no where near ‘reckless’. Like a previous poster said, it’s football and sometimes shit happens, that was a coming together which unfortunately for Wilson meant he received Tielemans foot on his ankle but fortunately for him it doesn’t appear to have injured him.

Never a red card in any form of the game.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Yea, I just ment that there was a difference in the style of challenge if you get what I'm saying. 

I think Andones was similar, except he didn't actually stand on the player. The difference is the ref sent him off. VAR reviews all these but is too weak to overturn whatever the ref originally gives, making it complete pointless.

Just now, Facecloth said:

I think Andones was similar, except he didn't actually stand on the player. The difference is the ref sent him off. VAR reviews all these but is too weak to overturn whatever the ref originally gives, making it complete pointless.

Andone was looking at the player and had to actually run into the challenge. Tielemans was making a movement to protect the ball but got it wrong. Both reds but nothing alike

43 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Maybe, but he also hit mid shin whilst jumping into it rather than stepping into it, it was more 'out of control' than someone simply attempting to shield the ball that I think 2 other players have got away with after review this season? Could be wrong but I'm sure its 2 others. 

8 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Maybe, but he also hit mid shin whilst jumping into it rather than stepping into it, it was more 'out of control' than someone simply attempting to shield the ball that I think 2 other players have got away with after review this season? Could be wrong but I'm sure its 2 others. 

VAR hasn't overturned any red card, either way. Nobody has been sent off yet that the refs missed, and nobody has stayed on after the ref has decided they should do.

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Do you guys think Man Utd and Chelsea will stay this bad the whole season?

Based on talent, I think they're both mid-table sides.  Either could finish anywhere 5-12 and it wouldn't be at all surprising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Pretty much, yes. 

I know zero about their squads and the depth of these so I’m probably way off here. But, from a simple pair of eyes looking in, they are both going to have to battle to break into the top 6. I’m not saying they’re not capable, but it shouldn’t be expected as a given like they’re used to. 

Herein lies one of their problems. The level of expectation is huge. It’s a disaster for these clubs if there isn’t silverware or a title isn’t won each season. The level of expectation from the owners and fans actually rises the longer they go without. 

I feel they’re going to have to battle Wolves, Everton, Leicester and West Ham (if they can sort out themselves..they have a good squad) for those places. 

I think if teams don’t give them too much respect, they can come away with at least a point. When I say don’t give them respect, I mean forget that it’s the ‘name’ Man U or Chelsea and look at the team sheet and the players themselves. Forget about the history because it’s about right now. Players need to start thinking “I can beat that defender” “”I’m just as good as that player”. They both definitely have the ability to hurt anyone on their day, but Southampton, Leicester, The Blunts and Wolves have already shown four games in you can have a go and get something from them. 

They’re both disjointed at the minute, both have inexperienced managers and have a collection of good, but critically, individual players. I just don’t feel they’re playing as teams at the moment. Would either manager get offered a job in the Premier League right now if they were out of work? I’m struggling to come up with a team that would take them. 

There’s definitely disharmony at Man U. It won’t be long before rumblings start at Chelsea if crap teams like Leicester and Sheffield Utd are picking up points at the Bridge and they’re getting rolled over 4-0 by Man U. 

Am I right in thinking Chelsea have an embargo? And who’d want that maniac chairman over them? 

As as for Man U, I honestly have no idea what’s going on there but something isn’t right high up. It’s like it’s fractious. A few years ago, they’d have said they wanted Harry and would have just got him. It’s like a battle went on behind the scenes to get him and I don’t think it was just the fee. 

My my money is on Lampard to go before Solskjaer (spelling). I think you’d be mad to take either job too.

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Because they missed it. And they've admitted it was a mistake. This weekend has done zero favours for VAR.

Leicester have probably been the beneficiaries of it more than any other I reckon - Wolves goal, Pen incident v Bournemouth, Tielemans challenge. 

wolves seems to get away with playing boring football tbf. so VAR have missed that one too

4 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think they will be because the problems these teams are having aren’t just overnight issues but the results of years of bad investment and planning. 

For Chelsea whilst the transfer ban is a huge issue really the bigger issue was that they lost Hazard who was literally responsible for half of their goal contributions and it would be impossible to replace him. That’s on top of their other experienced players getting on and no longer being close to their previous level. Azpi, Willian and Pedro all look shot. They need to start a new cycle afresh which is why it was probably a decent idea to bring in Lampard. It will be fascinating to see if he’s given time because I feel what they are doing is the right thing - phase out the older players, blood the younger ones and expect a mid table finish and then spend big on 2/3 players next summer. Their hands are tied otherwise. 

As for Man U the way they are run is shambolic. To be fair their fans say their best 3 players this season have been the new signings but they have problems all over the pitch. They have very little creativity, an inexperienced coach and their strikers IMO are very overrated. I actually think they are also doing the right thing in getting rid of the deadwood and bringing in younger, hungrier players. But it’s going to take several windows and let’s be honest, a more experienced coach before they start delivering. Man U currently are what Liverpool were in the 90’s / 00’s - a once famous team that has become largely irrelevant. They are so far behind the top two it’s laughable. 

Both of these two teams also have European competition which is going to mean even more dropped points. So yeah I think both are looking at anywhere between 6-10th place finishes depending on how other teams do. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Weird how little hype Dwight McNeil gets. If he played for a more fashionable club we’d hear a lot more about him.

Someone made that point yesterday on BT Sport, playing at a bigger club you get more hype and interest from national set ups. Swap Mount and McNeil and I'd be confident McNeil would be touted for the senior team 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

You’d have a point if two of those were directly linked to VAR. 

The handball is a law change. 

The pen decision the referee gave and VAR didn’t pause the game. 

12 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Weird how little hype Dwight McNeil gets. If he played for a more fashionable club we’d hear a lot more about him.

Made the point to someone yesterday 

Mason Mount, 4 PL games. England call up. 

Dwight McNeil, 25 PL games. No call up. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Made the point to someone yesterday 

Mason Mount, 4 PL games. England call up. 

Dwight McNeil, 25 PL games. No call up. 

You could make the point in so many times. 

James Maddison ~30 Prem games, this is his 2nd call up but no cap.

Mount, 4 games after a year in the Championship, called up.

Arguably I'd want him to be in the squad due to performances, but we've keft ourselves limited in holding midfielder roles