Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Thanks for this. Good to see and listen to. It's still early days in the season but it's a great platform to build on. 

Who are the 3 pundits? One of them sounded like they said we had 'Pastor' Schmeichel in goal lol

I know it was complimentary about us but they really seemed like they knew what they were talking about and not just saying your standard 'run of the mill' crap like Murphy or Jenas do sometimes. 

Sunday Supplement - so it’s essentially your print journalists rather than dim ex-pro’s 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Thanks for this. Good to see and listen to. It's still early days in the season but it's a great platform to build on. 

Who are the 3 pundits? One of them sounded like they said we had 'Pastor' Schmeichel in goal lol

I know it was complimentary about us but they really seemed like they knew what they were talking about and not just saying your standard 'run of the mill' crap like Murphy or Jenas do sometimes. 

Jonathan Northcroft is the bald guy. He is generally good with LCFC and knows his stuff  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Damn right. If lessons were learned, one could argue it was almost worth it.

And here's another thought - 2 draws in these 2 fixtures would have maintained the unbeaten start, but yielded one point fewer. I wonder if it would have been worth it, psychologically...

I was thinking about that before these two games and bizarrely it might have been preferable to get 2 points because it would prevent both teams from closing the gap to us. However, I think we got a good outcome with the way it went as based on how the season has gone so far I think Man U will be nowhere near the top 6 whereas Spurs despite their troubles are still a good team as they demonstrated against us. Man U will drop points regularly this season whereas Spurs will drop fewer.

Still makes me mad we lost at Old Trafford though! Honestly both Bournemouth and Sheffield United were better teams even though we beat both. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

I was thinking about that before these two games and bizarrely it might have been preferable to get 2 points because it would prevent both teams from closing the gap to us. However, I think we got a good outcome with the way it went as based on how the season has gone so far I think Man U will be nowhere near the top 6 whereas Spurs despite their troubles are still a good team as they demonstrated against us. Man U will drop points regularly this season whereas Spurs will drop fewer.

Still makes me mad we lost at Old Trafford though! Honestly both Bournemouth and Sheffield United were better teams even though we beat both. 

I prefer it this way that we've set up negatively and played poorly at United and then followed it up with a barnstorming performance to beat Spurs. Lessons learned and an extra premier League point

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yes this was super refreshing to listen too as they actually had a clue! I like that they mentioned things like Slimani and learning from that mistake and the bit about Maddison thinking he’s a super star and our coaches realising they need to keep an aspect of that in his game because it makes him so good!

The pundits vary every week but tend to be the football editors of all the papers. Sadly that often means the Sun and Mirror! But they also had Jonathan Norcroft who wrote the 5000-1 Leicester book.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Damn right. If lessons were learned, one could argue it was almost worth it.

And here's another thought - 2 draws in these 2 fixtures would have maintained the unbeaten start, but yielded one point fewer. I wonder if it would have been worth it, psychologically...

Why wasn't it already learned before that match was ever played, though?  That's the disturbing question.

Speaking of Spurs,  what has happened to Dele Alli? Gone completely off the rails. Had a poor season last season and has stagnated as a player. Many Spurs fans he needs to moved on. He was red hot 2 years ago. Now they want him gone.

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

Speaking of Spurs,  what has happened to Dele Alli? Gone completely off the rails. Had a poor season last season and has stagnated as a player. Many Spurs fans he needs to moved on. He was red hot 2 years ago. Now they want him gone.

Believed his own hype maybe?

18 minutes ago, Koke said:

11 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Believed his own hype maybe?

Feel likes it quite a common thing that a player hits the scene as a youngster, is brilliant for a few years then has a bad few months etc and takes ages to recover. They start to believe their hype and maybe their work ethic drops a little.

Look at the likes of Barkley, he was an exciting player when he burst onto the scene, hit a slump and seems to be only just coming back.

49 minutes ago, Koke said:

Jonathan Northcroft is the bald guy. He is generally good with LCFC and knows his stuff  

41 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yes this was super refreshing to listen too as they actually had a clue! I like that they mentioned things like Slimani and learning from that mistake and the bit about Maddison thinking he’s a super star and our coaches realising they need to keep an aspect of that in his game because it makes him so good!

The pundits vary every week but tend to be the football editors of all the papers. Sadly that often means the Sun and Mirror! But they also had Jonathan Norcroft who wrote the 5000-1 Leicester book.

Nice. Can you post this every week :P

Maddison getting the credit he well and truly deserves. Same with the club. Getting back on our feet as they alluded to after winning the league, managers being sacked and, although they didn't say it, the Vichai incident. 

26 minutes ago, Koke said:

Injuries in 2nd part of last season and lack of form going in to this one. 

Fans will be fickle. If he hits a purple patch should he return, they'll be changing their tune. Right now he's effective as much as Lingard is for Utd. That attacking role and link between midfield and attack but amounting to fvck all and perhaps being more of a hindrance to the team if nothing else. Right now Moura and Lamela and obviously Eriksen/Son are way ahead of him. 

Still can't believe Eriksen and Moura didn't start on Saturday. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Why wasn't it already learned before that match was ever played, though?  That's the disturbing question.

Because nobody is right all of the time. I don't think there's anything to be gained from that line of thinking either, it's punishment for the sake of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

What's mad as well is had we beaten Utd we'd already be 9 points clear of them after 6 games hahahahahaaaaa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t see why Spurs persist with the diamond, Son and Moura have been two of their best players in recent times, and it restricts them to only playing 1 at a time as Kane is obviously taking one of the striker spots. 

I also think in the diamond that the holding midfield player has to be able to sit at the base and hold the rest of the team together. I don’t think Spurs have that player, they keep kidding themselves that Winks and Sissoko are top players, but whilst one is neat and tidy and the other is a brute, neither are quality footballers. 

From having one of the most balanced midfields in the league during the last couple of years to the mess it is now, I think it’s detrimented the way they play entirely. For £60 million, Ndombele should be a star, and they’re going to need him to be if Alli is injured and off form or Eriksen’s head is off in Madrid. I can’t see a side relying on Winks and Sissoko in the middle getting Champions League football. 

I'd agree, I don't think it's the most effective use of their players. But that said they still played well in periods of the game and controlled the game after we had our strike ruled out in the first half. That's something we need to learn to get to the next level - going away and controlling the game and dominating. We did control the game for large periods against Man U but did sod all with it! Spurs were decent against us, which is what made the comeback victory even more impressive. 

Sissoko's clumsy challenge aside, I thought he had a good game until withdrawn, as did Erik Lamela in the first half. Winks I agree was largely anonymous and Ndombele was very disappointing given he's their club record fee. I don't think it helps him that Poch uses him in that way as he played as more of a traditional midfielder at Lyon. I agree with your point about the player at the base of their midfield and the way Ndidi played in this game is exactly what they are missing.

Putting my utter dislike of Spurs aside for a moment, Poch did a great job with them but has probably taken them as far as he can. They looked like a team that need fresh ideas and a new nucleus to go again. In Europe, Atletico Madrid have done something similar losing heroes like Godin and Juanfran and have brought in new players like Joao Felix. They aren't quite up to speed yet, but I think they are doing the right thing in mixing it up. Fergie used to do a similar thing, and if you look at us our team these days is essentially an entirely new squad plus Vardy and Kasper from our 15/16 legends. 

• Like 1

My first ever trip to The Emirates yesterday.

Terrific stadium, top drawer media facilities too.

Arsenal look woeful at times, especially at the back.

However, they'll smack teams going forward.

John McGinn gets better and better for Villa.

Came and spoke to the media afterwards, fronted up, spoke well, seems a top lad.

They just ran out of steam towards the end.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How Villa weren't awarded that penalty in the late stages of the game is beyond me, just makes the world of VAR laughable

Was watching the highlights over lunch - totally beyond belief how that could not be given. Such shocking decisions will not do VAR or the league any favours longer term.

(Insert consipracy theory rant)

• Like 1