Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I do think that the club are building toward having a squad that can sustain itself across multiple competitions. That's why I don't think we will have as traumatic a time as other teams before us. But put it this way, say if we finish 6th this season, then I think we will finish 7/th the 8th next. That's not too bad at all for a team that isn't in Europe every season, but if you fall out of the European places it can affect who you can bring in. 

I don’t think we’re far off, squad depth wise. Man City have 23 players in their squad, as do Liverpool. Also Brendan recently alluded to the benefits of having a small squad didn’t he. Certainly working for Man City/Liverpool!

Providing there are no sales I think we have a good base of 18 players we can build from. So we only need 5 more players (GK, CB, CM, RW, CF?) which is achievable in the next 2 windows. 

1. Schmeichel

2. Ward

3. Pereira

4. Justin

5. Evans

6. Soyuncu

7. Benkovic

8. Chilwell

9. Fuchs

10. Ndidi

11. Choudhury

12. Tielemans

13. Praet

14. Maddison

15. Perez

16. Barnes

17. Albrighton 

18. Vardy

19. ???

20. ???

21. ???

22. ???

23. ???

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FIF said:

I think its worse than that. These type of European competitions just re-inforce domination by a few teams in each country at the expense of others.

Yep agree with you. That's the real reason this competition is getting put together. The super rich clubs are talking about having a fixed league with entry and relegation, but to get that as a passable competition they will need other competitions for the rest to compete in. As fans we must fight it with everything we have. Our title win was a victory for football not just Leicester fans, that's what made it so special. It gave hope to everyone. Hope must remain in the game!

19 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

They should make the EL a bit more attractive with less teams involved and a bit more financial reward. The whole competition is a bleeding marathon and only teams with a strong bench (the big ones) can handle it or just give up on the league position (the smaller ones).

As crazy as it may sound, I'd personally have 0 interest in playing it next season, as it may well kill our momentum unless we massively strengthen our bench. 

I can definitely see your point. That said, if you can get to the latter rounds of the competition then playing teams like Napoli, Valencia, Sevilla, Frankfurt would be quality! I'd love a semi-final away to Napoli or something like that, it would be a super memorable game for our fans.

I think we would have an outside chance to win the competition, though as I've mentioned I think it would hurt our domestic season. But ultimately the next jump we need to make as a club is to play in Europe regularly and balance it with being competitive in the league. It might take 5 seasons of doing that before we are ready to push on again but I think that's a step we need to make before we can dream of being a Champions League regular. And that sort of dream may fundamentally never be possible given the money in our league. It might be that being a perennial 7th place team that sometimes wins cups is as good as it can get. Still it beats League One!

9 minutes ago, Shane said:

I don’t think we’re far off, squad depth wise. Man City have 23 players in their squad, as do Liverpool. Also Brendan recently alluded to the benefits of having a small squad didn’t he. Certainly working for Man City/Liverpool!

Providing there are no sales I think we have a good base of 18 players we can build from. So we only need 5 more players (GK, CB, CM, RW, CF?) which is achievable in the next 2 windows. 

1. Schmeichel

2. Ward

3. Pereira

4. Justin

5. Evans

6. Soyuncu

7. Benkovic

8. Chilwell

9. Fuchs

10. Ndidi

11. Choudhury

12. Tielemans

13. Praet

14. Maddison

15. Perez

16. Barnes

17. Albrighton 

18. Vardy

19. ???

20. ???

21. ???

22. ???

23. ???

It's clearly being worked on and no doubt Congerton (eek!) is planning signings based on Euope right now. There is talk of there being 2 plans, one for European qualification and one without. We've also got a surplus 60m in the bank to spend. Problem for me though is that the majority of the positions we would need would be attacking options and our record at signing forwards since getting to the Premier League is atrocious. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Still Man City for me. 

Liverpool bubble far more likely to burst than Cities imo. 

No Laporte for a while is what swings it in Liverpool’s favour. Stones/Otamendi are too shit to sustain a title challenge. It won’t be 97 point title win this season but even so it’s hard to imagine Liverpool really slipping up but you can see it with Man City.

24 minutes ago, Stadt said:

No Laporte for a while is what swings it in Liverpool’s favour. Stones/Otamendi are too shit to sustain a title challenge. It won’t be 97 point title win this season but even so it’s hard to imagine Liverpool really slipping up but you can see it with Man City.

It's early days.

An injury to Firminho and a Mané loss of form and Liverpool could lose 5 in a row. They are not that deep and to be honest their midfield isn't all that.

5 minutes ago, FIF said:

It's early days.

An injury to Firminho and a Mané loss of form and Liverpool could lose 5 in a row. They are not that deep and to be honest their midfield isn't all that.

It’s sort of the point that Liverpool’s midfield “isn’t all that” their job is to prevent the space behind the fullbacks getting exposed. A team that got the 3rd highest points total ever in English football and won the CL seem to know what they’re doing.

Liverpool’s players could get injured but currently they aren’t and they're already a significant amount of points clear. Again, I don’t want them to win the league but they’re a title challenge more experienced and are in the driving seat. Liverpool have got the ability to grind out games because they’re defensively solid, without Laporte Man City don’t. The title will be decided by the games between the two sides, if Man City don’t win the first clash then it’s already over for them imo

Both Liverpool and Man City's defensive woes are sticking out this season - however, Man City seem far more likely to offer solidity in their coverage for their back four in the long term, while both have been hit on the counter or given up fairly soft goals on a few occasions already.

My money, if I had any to wager, would be on Man City repeating. It's going to be close, though.

Edited by UPinCarolina

12 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Both Liverpool and Man City's defensive woes are sticking out this season - however, Man City seem far more likely to offer solidity in their coverage for their back four in the long term, while both have been hit on the counter or given up fairly soft goals on a few occasions already.

My money, if I had any to wager, would be on Man City repeating. It's going to be close, though.

I wouldn't call Liverpool having defensive woes, they are conceding less than a goal a game and scoring about three a game hahahaa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I wouldn't call Liverpool having defensive woes, they are conceding less than a goal a game and scoring about three a game hahahaa

Relative to anyone else? Absolutely true that they are in great shape. However, they seem unlikely to match their performance from the previous season and seem a little softer at the back than they're comfortable with.

2 hours ago, FIF said:

It's early days.

The scousers will have it wrapped up early. 

City can't win ugly and Liverpool seem to be getting over the line with ease. 

Only head to head wins for City will make it close. 

Hope I'm wrong though

Kane is 26. Peak of his career. Prolific scorer. But with no medals to show for. He deserves so much better. Hope he leaves Spurs next summer. He has outgrown them.

Levy will hold him back by asking £250m for him. Nobody will pay that.

Edited by Koke

33 minutes ago, Koke said:

Kane is 26. Peak of his career. Prolific scorer. But with no medals to show for. He deserves so much better. Hope he leaves Spurs next summer. He has outgrown them.

Which will lead to even more unrest in the dressing room if he asks to leave. 

It's all going wrong for Spuds. I said last season that the new stadium could actually damage them, and it's looking for like that as time goes on. It harmed Arsenal badly and held them back, now it's Spuds turn.

Levy is also holding them back and that 'shrewd businessman' tag is now looking daft. Erikson will go for nothing, players are unsettled, Ponch will go and they'll have a huge debt on the stadium to fund. Levy didn't seem to take into account the Arsenal problems could also harm Spuds.

43 minutes ago, Koke said:

If that is the case, then it's no-one but Kane's fault for signing a new contract locking him in till 2024. Of course that's a lovely contract to have, but Spurs are under absolutely no obligation to sell and there's an awful long time left. All the cards are rightfully in Spurs hands as a result. 

No one put a gun to Kane's head for a contract of that longevity. If he felt he would outgrow and have to go elsewhere to win trophies he should've considered that before penning the contract.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FIF said:

It's early days.

you think a team that’s lost one league game in almost 18 months is going to lose 5 games in a row soon? 

and their midfield is superb. not sure how anyone can argue that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koke said:

I think Holloway is right. I feel the same way when our fans moan when we lose to Millwsll and Newport and blame the manager. The team put out against Newport should have won. No excuses. What do we have a squad for? And why are we paying our bench players £40k a week if they cant put away teams from 2 or 3 divisions below? 

If it was up to fans they would play their strongest 11 every game and run them into the ground physically and mentally.

I can see what they both mean but whenever I see a side with wholesale changes, regardless of opposition, it dents my confidence. You're essentially asking eleven players (some of whom can't be match fit) who've never played together before to go out there and beat a professional outfit. The blame should be apportioned to everybody. 

• Like 1