Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

5 minutes ago, KFS said:

So this is to stop Burnley, West Ham, Wolves in recent years gate crashing the EL.

The winner of the EFL/ 7th place if a Europe qualified team wins the EFL will go into the Conference. 

It works until Manchester United finish 7th and then they come up with a ruling as to why they need to be in the EL.

• Haha 1

More European football means bigger squads which means yet more money spent on transfers and it goes on and on. Or, more emphasis spent on academies as a source of extra players. I hope this gives our directors more focus on making long overdue changes to our academy. 

I hope it's for sides from Andorra, Kosovo, Estonia etc and teams that lose in the early rounds of Europa League qualifiers rather than 8th place in England, Spain and Italy. It's not particularly fair for the champions of those nations to have no European football whilst Wolves are cutting about having achieved basically nothing

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I hope it's for sides from Andorra, Kosovo, Estonia etc and teams that lose in the early rounds of Europa League qualifiers rather than 8th place in England, Spain and Italy. It's not particularly fair for the champions of those nations to have no European football whilst Wolves are cutting about having achieved basically nothing

I imagine this is exactly the idea, spread more money around the less established leagues.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

More European football means bigger squads which means yet more money spent on transfers and it goes on and on. Or, more emphasis spent on academies as a source of extra players. I hope this gives our directors more focus on making long overdue changes to our academy. 

Maybe

Or more European football means the death knell of smaller clubs and division 2 in England.

UEFA are far worse than the EU for wanting to replace national with European. why don't UEFA just reform European leagues so that they manage 35 European leagues from Premier to Coventry?

On 24/09/2019 at 06:46, Nicolo Barella said:

This is very true in fairness. However the sheer density of Manure support in places like India and China plus the power of their brand (ask some football noob from the US to name a football team and if they can only name one it'll be Man Utd) means they'll be valuable for a very very long time.

Double post...

Edited by DrezZone
Double post

On 24/09/2019 at 06:46, Nicolo Barella said:

This is very true in fairness. However the sheer density of Manure support in places like India and China plus the power of their brand (ask some football noob from the US to name a football team and if they can only name one it'll be Man Utd) means they'll be valuable for a very very long time.

Thank God I'm not a football noob then. I can almost name the entire EFL along with most clubs in the top 2 tiers of the top 5 leagues in Europe. I actually feel accomplished compared to the dumbasses and plastics we have here.

Edited by DrezZone
  • Haha 1

That new European cup competition sounds awful. There is a reason why we did away with the Cup Winners Cup. Hell even now the Europa League is crap until the knockout rounds begin. 

I think it's a real trap as teams that get into that competition will have too many games to overtake teams above them in the league. In fact as a word of caution, what is happening to Wolves will almost certainly happen to us next season too as I am convinced we will get a European place of some kind and those extra games cause havoc for a small squad as we found out in 16/17.

Rodgers is smart enough to know we'd need a bigger squad when that happens, but it will still result in dropping a couple of league positions I reckon.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

That new European cup competition sounds awful. There is a reason why we did away with the Cup Winners Cup. Hell even now the Europa League is crap until the knockout rounds begin. 

I think it's a real trap as teams that get into that competition will have too many games to overtake teams above them in the league. In fact as a word of caution, what is happening to Wolves will almost certainly happen to us next season too as I am convinced we will get a European place of some kind and those extra games cause havoc for a small squad as we found out in 16/17.

I don't think the extra Champions League games had anything to do with our failings in the league that season tbh. We looked shit before the European campaign even started.

18 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers is smart enough to know we'd need a bigger squad when that happens, but it will still result in dropping a couple of league positions I reckon.

Wolves are reaping the benefits of their idiotic manager saying that he likes a small squad even in the face of Europe. The quality seriously drops after their first 11 as well. Meanwhile, we're starting to build some serious quality in our "second 11" - Praet, Hamza, Benkovic are all fairly concrete members of our squad that have high quality, with a few other decent members e.g. Albrighton, Ward.

In a european football scenario:

Assuming the sales of 

Iheanacho, Diabaté, Kapustka, Slimani, Silva, and others, we could be looking at a squad of

New Winger Vardy Perez

Maddison Ndidi Tielemans

Chilwell SoyuncuEvans Ricardo

Schmeichel

Gray New Striker Albrighton

Barnes Hamza Praet

New LB New CB Benkovic J.J

Ward

I would personally sell Gray off as well and get a new prospect on the wing, but that's a solid second 11 to rely on particularly if we get in a real quality striker like Håland. I think we won't suffer too much provided we aren't incredibly unlucky with impact injuries. 

Edited by Nicolo Barella

36 minutes ago, Goober said:

I don't think the extra Champions League games had anything to do with our failings in the league that season tbh. We looked shit before the European campaign even started.

It wasn't the only reason but it didn't help! Results suffered in games before or after a Champions League match. Even when Shakespeare steadied the ship after his 5 wins, we drew games before and after the European game. It's happened to us, Burnley Everton and Wolves. You could argue it caused problem for Spurs last season too. It is extremely difficult to maintain two competitive teams when playing in Europe and the Premier League. 

24 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Wolves are reaping the benefits of their idiotic manager saying that he likes a small squad even in the face of Europe. The quality seriously drops after their first 11 as well. Meanwhile, we're starting to build some serious quality in our "second 11" - Praet, Hamza, Benkovic are all fairly concrete members of our squad that have high quality, with a few other decent members e.g. Albrighton, Ward.

In a european football scenario:

Assuming the sales of 

Iheanacho, Diabaté, Kapustka, Slimani, Silva, and others, we could be looking at a squad of

New Winger Vardy Perez

Maddison Ndidi Tielemans

Chilwell SoyuncuEvans Ricardo

Schmeichel

Gray New Striker Albrighton

Barnes Hamza Praet

New LB New CB Benkovic J.J

Ward

I would personally sell Gray off as well and get a new prospect on the wing, but that's a solid second 11 to rely on particularly if we get in a real quality striker like Håland. I think we won't suffer too much provided we aren't incredibly unlucky with impact injuries. 

I do think that the club are building toward having a squad that can sustain itself across multiple competitions. That's why I don't think we will have as traumatic a time as other teams before us. But put it this way, say if we finish 6th this season, then I think we will finish 7/th the 8th next. That's not too bad at all for a team that isn't in Europe every season, but if you fall out of the European places it can affect who you can bring in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It wasn't the only reason but it didn't help! Results suffered in games before or after a Champions League match. Even when Shakespeare steadied the ship after his 5 wins, we drew games before and after the European game. It's happened to us, Burnley Everton and Wolves. You could argue it caused problem for Spurs last season too. It is extremely difficult to maintain two competitive teams when playing in Europe and the Premier League. 

I do think that the club are building toward having a squad that can sustain itself across multiple competitions. That's why I don't think we will have as traumatic a time as other teams before us. But put it this way, say if we finish 6th this season, then I think we will finish 7/th the 8th next. That's not too bad at all for a team that isn't in Europe every season, but if you fall out of the European places it can affect who you can bring in. 

Easy fix, we just finish 3rd so next season we'll finish 4th or 5th :ph34r:

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think its worse than that. These type of European competitions just re-inforce domination by a few teams in each country at the expense of others.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

They should make the EL a bit more attractive with less teams involved and a bit more financial reward. The whole competition is a bleeding marathon and only teams with a strong bench (the big ones) can handle it or just give up on the league position (the smaller ones).

As crazy as it may sound, I'd personally have 0 interest in playing it next season, as it may well kill our momentum unless we massively strengthen our bench.