Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Speaking of Spurs,  what has happened to Dele Alli? Gone completely off the rails. Had a poor season last season and has stagnated as a player. Many Spurs fans he needs to moved on. He was red hot 2 years ago. Now they want him gone.

Last season was ruined by injury for him, he's still recovering and getting back into form, only played his first full game this season last week I think. Imo in a month or so he'll start to regain his form unless he gets another injury.

59 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t see why Spurs persist with the diamond, Son and Moura have been two of their best players in recent times, and it restricts them to only playing 1 at a time as Kane is obviously taking one of the striker spots. 

I also think in the diamond that the holding midfield player has to be able to sit at the base and hold the rest of the team together. I don’t think Spurs have that player, they keep kidding themselves that Winks and Sissoko are top players, but whilst one is neat and tidy and the other is a brute, neither are quality footballers. 

From having one of the most balanced midfields in the league during the last couple of years to the mess it is now, I think it’s detrimented the way they play entirely. For £60 million, Ndombele should be a star, and they’re going to need him to be if Alli is injured and off form or Eriksen’s head is off in Madrid. I can’t see a side relying on Winks and Sissoko in the middle getting Champions League football. 

I think they're preparing for this team later in the year;

Lloris

Aurier Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose

Ndombele Winks Lo Celso

Alli

Son Kane

With Lo Celso as the most advanced midfielder of the three. It makes sense as once Alli presumably regains form as he tends to do after coming back from injury, his best position is as a 10, making runs and taking advantage of Kane and Son's movement. They don't want to rely on Eriksen because he's gone, so the creativity from Lo Celso/Ndombele/Alli is what they'll rely on.

There are a few problems with that team, chief among them the fact that they don't actually have a good DM like Ndidi or Wanyama from a couple years back who can really shield the defence, so it will be easier for the opposition to attack through their midfield (another reason, I imagine, why Pochettino is so enamoured by the diamond, as the numbers in the midfield congest it and make it harder to play through). Winks is serviceable for the time being though, especially in possession. 

The other main problem is their fullbacks are meh. However, they've already moved to rectify this with the long-term signing of Sessegnon as a left-back, and I presume they'll let all their prospective rightbacks (Aurier, Walker-Peters, Foyth, etc) to prove themselves this season before going for a replacement I imagine.

4 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

The Man Utd situation is far too amusing. lol

Surely their owners must get concerned soon, I understand the size of the brand, but their continued poor performance is starting to impact revenue as I believe their deal with Adidas is about to be worth a lot less than originally planned due to them being shite

9 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

The Man Utd situation is far too amusing. lol

Incredible to think Man United have a manager who basically no team in the Premier League or probably the Championship would even consider as their manager.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Now that very naughty from ESPN. :mad: lol

I had to double-check to ensure that statement was from 2019 and not 2014.  lol

I’m of two minds about Man U and OGS.

It’s clear he’s not a good game planner or manager.  And a leader to point that many massive egos in the same direction?  Laughable.

Yet the direction he’s going -- clearing out the Sanchez and Lukaku types for guys like James -- is the right one.  It will eventually bear fruit.  Man U will always overpay.  But they’re better off doing so for players with something to prove, who can use these games to improve, who can become a team.  If they take their lumps for a crap season, the board may even force a DoF on Woodward.  Better for them in the long run.

If they try to rescue their season and bring in some available “name” who can operate at this level, they will threaten at least the EL places.  But with quick-fix demands for mercenary stars who may fracture the changing room for years to come.  And yet another refashioning of the playing style.  In the longer term, more of the same from them is better for the rest of the league.

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Surely their owners must get concerned soon, I understand the size of the brand, but their continued poor performance is starting to impact revenue as I believe their deal with Adidas is about to be worth a lot less than originally planned due to them being shite

You'd think two seasons of no Champions League money would hurt the servicing of their debt. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

ESPN being quite shitty there I believe (Like I care), but this was from a stakeholder meeting or some such, fairly recent I think, but ESPN just sticking the boot in for clicks 

Especially as they have essentially dressed it up like an official press release. Very cheeky.

but lol

I still say Arsenal finishes no worse than fourth.  Their problems are more manageable than Chelsea or Man U, they have more going forward and a better manager.  Enough firepower to clear the mid-table teams and maybe give Spurs a push for third.

Edited by Deeg67

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That Bernardo Silva tweet though. 

What a ****ing idiot lol

How can he think that's alright on social media in 2019.

Southern Europe, whilst not ALL guilty of it, certainly has a dispensation to outright outrageous racist behaviour. Just look at the weekly Serie A scandal from not only fans but even players or fans, Spain (I have Spanish family) has a certain attitude about it dating back to Franco (the picture he posted was the up to date packaging for chocolate peanuts ffs). 

Griezmann pulled out THAT fancy dress whilst at Atletico as well lol 

The places below Liverpool and Manchester City are genuinely wide open and I wouldn't like to call an exact order at this point of the season but I wouldn't be ruling out the West Hams, Evertons and Bournemouths from having a shot at top 6 either.

I think Arsenal have enough to finish third this season and I'm awaiting in glee for Spurs to implode completely which isn't too far away but I can't see them finishing outside the top 6 in all honesty. 

I'd love us to make the top four but I think 5th or 6th is more of a realistic target because we I don't think have the amount of goals in us just yet and still lack a quality of depth in striking areas and out wide if we get injuries.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Last season was ruined by injury for him, he's still recovering and getting back into form, only played his first full game this season last week I think. Imo in a month or so he'll start to regain his form unless he gets another injury.

Let's ne honest he was poor for a good half a season prior to the 2018 world cup. This poor form has been going on for nearly two years. It's not as simple as hes had injuries imo, I think there more to it. I'm not 100% he was that good to begin with anyway, a bit of a YouTube player, just has sparks of brilliance, like the goal against palace in 2015/16, but largely didn't do much else. Now the magic one off every 5 games moments have dried up hes just deadwood.

27 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Southern Europe, whilst not ALL guilty of it, certainly has a dispensation to outright outrageous racist behaviour. Just look at the weekly Serie A scandal from not only fans but even players or fans, Spain (I have Spanish family) has a certain attitude about it dating back to Franco (the picture he posted was the up to date packaging for chocolate peanuts ffs). 

Griezmann pulled out THAT fancy dress whilst at Atletico as well lol 

Southern Europe is not as sensitive to this sort of stuff as places like the UK, which is why a lot of players get caught up in it. The stuff in Italy is completely different to what Silva has tweeted about. I think Silva is being hard done by. There is much more abuse that goes on with social media, at all levels, be it homophobic comments or just straight abuse to individuals. Silva was simply joking with Mendy, who was actually not offended by it, and at the end of the day, he is the only one that can judge whether that was offensive or not. Not you, not me, not the FA or whoever else.

However, the stuff in Italy is a different matter. People are actually being abused (and not just one off cases), and in the case of the commentator, specifically referred to as a monkey. That should be addressed and dealt with.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

The places below Liverpool and Manchester City are genuinely wide open and I wouldn't like to call an exact order at this point of the season but I wouldn't be ruling out the West Hams, Evertons and Bournemouths from having a shot at top 6 either.

I think Arsenal have enough to finish third this season and I'm awaiting in glee for Spurs to implode completely which isn't too far away but I can't see them finishing outside the top 6 in all honesty. 

I'd love us to make the top four but I think 5th or 6th is more of a realistic target because we I don't think have the amount of goals in us just yet and still lack a quality of depth in striking areas and out wide if we get injuries.

I will happily rule out Bournemouth finishing in the top 6.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Let's ne honest he was poor for a good half a season prior to the 2018 world cup. This poor form has been going on for nearly two years. It's not as simple as hes had injuries imo, I think there more to it. I'm not 100% he was that good to begin with anyway, a bit of a YouTube player, just has sparks of brilliance, like the goal against palace in 2015/16, but largely didn't do much else. Now the magic one off every 5 games moments have dried up hes just deadwood.

A lot of his poor form the last few years has been down to Pochettino playing him deeper in midfield out of necessity due to the continuing injuries to Dembele and Wanyama leaving him short of personnel. He has still periodically looked good when afforded to play off Kane further up the pitch. I really don't think you're being fair to him, the first two seasons he was at Spurs he really performed well for them, he got 22 G+A in his first season, 29 in his second, and even in his less stellar 17/18 he still achieved 22 G+A. These are not the numbers of a YouTube player, particularly as he isn't even a striker really he is an attacking midfielder.

5 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

A lot of his poor form the last few years has been down to Pochettino playing him deeper in midfield out of necessity due to the continuing injuries to Dembele and Wanyama leaving him short of personnel. He has still periodically looked good when afforded to play off Kane further up the pitch. I really don't think you're being fair to him, the first two seasons he was at Spurs he really performed well for them, he got 22 G+A in his first season, 29 in his second, and even in his less stellar 17/18 he still achieved 22 G+A. These are not the numbers of a YouTube player, particularly as he isn't even a striker really he is an attacking midfielder.

Alli is one of those players that puts up good numbers that are hard to argue with but when you actually watch him he looks anonymous for most of the game. Lukaku syndrome?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

Alli is one of those players that puts up good numbers that are hard to argue with but when you actually watch him he looks anonymous for most of the game. Lukaku syndrome?

It's because a lot of his play is off the ball. He is excellent at pressing the ball. His movement makes space for others (part of the reason the other members of his attack have been so prolific over the years) and he's good at getting into dangerous spaces, but to be honest his creativity is nothing special so he tends not to be a team's focal point. This is where the accusations of anonymity come from imo. Of course, he's been rather useless when playing deeper because nobody really needs you to get into dangerous areas or create space in the middle third. 

Alli is a player with undeniable quality but equally undeniable limitations.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Incredible to think Man United have a manager who basically no team in the Premier League or probably the Championship would even consider as their manager.

His appointment was a terrible one. His time with Cardiff showed that clubs would be wary of him.

Like Shakey here, and several other temporary appointments over the years, they rarely work out. They always seem to start well, then when they get the job it all goes to pot.

Man Utd are in serious meltdown this season, and it could be some time before they recover. This could also apply to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spuds. The next few seasons are a huge opportunity for us, and could be hugely successful if we keep this squad together and keep improving.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

It's because a lot of his play is off the ball. He is excellent at pressing the ball. His movement makes space for others (part of the reason the other members of his attack have been so prolific over the years) and he's good at getting into dangerous spaces, but to be honest his creativity is nothing special so he tends not to be a team's focal point. This is where the accusations of anonymity come from imo. Of course, he's been rather useless when playing deeper because nobody really needs you to get into dangerous areas or create space in the middle third. 

Alli is a player with undeniable quality but equally undeniable limitations.

I think it causes a balance issue for Spurs too.

Alli is a very useful player in terms of making late runs into the box and getting into goalscoring positions with good off the ball movement.

However, to allow him to do that, does that mean you move Eriksen from a number 10 role to a deeper position? A tough call given the fact that the Ndombele, Winks and Sissoko three looks settled.

Do you ask him to create from out wide, thus meaning youd have to play a different system and even then, youd have to drop one of Son or Moura to accommodate?

Or should Alli just be happy as a rotational option.

Alli's form has certainly been questionable for 18 months and injuries have added to that. But for me he does have a lot of quality too

Edited by Donk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Donk said:

I think it causes a balance issue for Spurs too.

Alli is a very useful player in terms of making late runs into the box and getting into goalscoring positions with good off the ball movement.

However, to allow him to do that, does that mean you move Eriksen from a number 10 role to a deeper position? A tough call given the fact that the Ndombele, Winks and Sissoko three looks settled.

Do you ask him to create from out wide, thus meaning youd have to play a different system and even then, youd have to drop one of Son or Moura to accommodate?

Or should Alli just be happy as a rotational option.

Alli's form has certainly been questionable for 18 months and injuries have added to that. But for me he does have a lot of quality too

This is a very pertinent point. It's part of the reason I'm convinced Eriksen is off. I see Pochettino's ideal endgame for this season as a 4-3-1-2 looking like this;

Lloris

Aurier? Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose 

Ndombele Winks Lo Celso

Alli

Kane Son

Lo Celso and Ndombele in theory will replace Eriksen's creativity, of course not in the same way though. Once Ndombele and Lo Celso are up to scratch, for me that's the 3rd best team in the league, although their fullbacks are weak and it remains to be seen how Alderweireld and Vertonghen get on with their contracts.