Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

2 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Maguire is a pretty run of the mill defender. He doesnt do anything than 10 centrebacks i could name cant do, and we got £80 million for him

He was never "pivotal" to our success in the same way selling vardy would have been. Or selling kante was for example.

Compare Maguire to another good, but not outstanding premier league defender.

Antonio Rudiger is certainly quicker than maguire, he is equally physically strong, id say pretty much equally as comfortable if not more comfortable on the ball, only thing he lacks is a massive head.

And he was around £29 mil, Maguire £80 mil.

Selling him really was a no brainer

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

Gary Neville moaning about all the money United have wasted.

Get the violins out.

Think he needs to eventually realise that Man United are playing against an opposition club whenever he does Man United games.

Only ever talks about Man United, and rarely anything on their opponents.

But he's a decent pundit on the action, though.

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Every time you think United can't get worse. 

James

Gomes Lingard Pereira

Fred McTominay 

lol christ 

Only see James there with the highest potential.

Quite a mess.

They might be actually missing the presence of Pogba..

7 hours ago, Countryfox said:

James is a very good player whatever you think about him ...   would’ve been great for us ...  

Agree.

Would've been potentially a great replacement for Vardy, and not Iheanacho.

7 hours ago, Koke said:

West Ham go level on points with us. Why are people happy about this? A draw would have been great.

They're playing at Bournemouth, next.

A draw between the two would be a positive result.

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

lol:)

If it's true what they said, that's a classic snapshot and hilarious - and would sum it up for them..

2 minutes ago, Donk said:

Maguire is a pretty run of the mill defender. He doesnt do anything than 10 centrebacks i could name cant do, and we got £80 million for him

He was never "pivotal" to our success in the same way selling vardy would have been. Or selling kante was for example.

Compare Maguire to another good, but not outstanding premier league defender.

Antonio Rudiger is certainly quicker than maguire, he is equally physically strong, id say pretty much equally as comfortable if not more comfortable on the ball, only thing he lacks is a massive head.

And he was around £29 mil, Maguire £80 mil.

Selling him really was a no brainer

I don’t think I’d agree, if I had to name a Premier League team to take on a La Liga team VVD and Maguire would without a doubt.

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Check out from 18 minutes onwards, there is a really good section about Leicester and James Maddison in particular. Also references how Leicester fans were all too happy to rub Tottenham's noses in during the match in reference to the title winning season. Too right we did!

I saw Jonathan Northcroft who lives in the county and is really well clued up on us as well as being an excellent writer so started watching this, but who is the chap in the dark denim shirt? If the wind changes he'll stay that way, good grief.

If you offered me a straight swap right now, Maguire for Soyuncu, I'd bin you tbh. No doubt people outside of Leicester would see that as bitter but I say it with a fully straight face. We've not missed Slab at all and Soyuncu's got like 3/4 years on him. 

For me, it's very close to being up in the Vardy for £1m, Mahrez for £450k bracket in being some of the best business the club has ever done. Defender who - at the very least - has been just as good as his predecessor and a £60m profit. Genius. And I did not see it coming

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Aston Villa going down in my opinion. I can't see what they're actually good at as a team. I appreciate it's a tricky fixture but to be leading 10 men with 10 minutes left and lose the game is unacceptable. They're not good going forward, they're not good at the back.

McGinn however will be making a big move next summer.

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Absolutely, name me a better one other than VVD

Id say Laporte when fit and just on pure out and out defending ability probably Alderweireld too.

But my point is its £80 million for a player who isnt pivotal.

Take vardy out and play an entire season with Ihaenacho youre going to see a huge difference. Take Van Dijk or Laporte out and weve already seen frailties when both are missing.

Weve sold the supposedly second best defender in the league yet not noticed almost any negative effects from doing so, certainly not in terms of out and out defending, you could argue we miss the ball playing aspects possibly.

Thats why, in the example i gave using rudiger who is a good all round defender, teams are more than capable of bringing solid reliable options (soyuncu being one) without paying world record fees.

Edited by Donk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

As for a centre half better than Maguire - Jonny Evans.

In terms of pure defending, things like making an interception, positioning himself, making a tackle, clearing danger, organising the defensive line etc he is at least comparible to Maguire.

Edited by Donk

1 minute ago, Donk said:

In terms of pure defending, things like making an interception, positioning himself, making a tackle, clearing danger, organising the defensive line etc he is at least comparible to Maguire.

He beats him on several of those. He's also less likely to play his team into trouble. Maguire's never really had the speed to compensate for the risks he takes.

Maguire makes far more errors than Evans. I honestly do believe they signed the weaker of our centre half pairing.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Man U. are so bad.  We're going to regret leaving three points on the table because of poor management.

That's what irks me too. If we played an attacking team I think we would have won 2-1.

For Maguire, I think he is elite in the air and is a classy passer of the ball but Evans is his equal or much better in all other matters

If we don't at least qualify for Europa it's an underachievement IMO, and the CL shouldn't be completely out of reach.  It's not a grandiose assessment of how great we are - just a reflection of how the league falls off a cliff after Liverpool and Man City.  Based on talent we should be no worse than 6th, and realistically push for 4th.  Chelsea and MU will likely never both be this mediocre in the same season again in the next two decades.

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Aston Villa going down in my opinion. I can't see what they're actually good at as a team. I appreciate it's a tricky fixture but to be leading 10 men with 10 minutes left and lose the game is unacceptable. They're not good going forward, they're not good at the back.

McGinn however will be making a big move next summer.

I agree. I dont see what they are good at either. Dean Smith bottled that game. Any semi competent team like Brighton or Palace would have won that game.

Villa fans are hyping up Tyrone ****ing Mings, says where they are as a team in this league. 

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Man U. are so bad.  We're going to regret leaving three points on the table because of poor management.

I've been saying it since pre season. They are poor, nothing but an bang average P/L team. OGS is way out of his depth trying to rebuild them and I still think he'll be gone by Xmas.

We gifted them a win because of a very negative set up. I'm still so annoyed with the way we threw 3 points away, as well as our unbeaten record.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Spuds are all in some disarray too. They are all very beatable.

I really see this season as a wonderful opportunity for a top 4 place. But so will several other P/L clubs, like West Ham, and they are the ones we need to be as wary off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanya said:

That's what irks me too. If we played an attacking team I think we would have won 2-1.

For Maguire, I think he is elite in the air and is a classy passer of the ball but Evans is his equal or much better in all other matters

I definitely wouldn't call him elite in the air personally. It was beyond painful watching us whack every corner his way where he would stand free on the back post and watch him head it for a goal kick or into the side netting every single time. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

It's done now and there are 32 more games to play so no reason for that to be a season defining loss

Damn right. If lessons were learned, one could argue it was almost worth it.

And here's another thought - 2 draws in these 2 fixtures would have maintained the unbeaten start, but yielded one point fewer. I wonder if it would have been worth it, psychologically...

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Check out from 18 minutes onwards, there is a really good section about Leicester and James Maddison in particular. Also references how Leicester fans were all too happy to rub Tottenham's noses in during the match in reference to the title winning season. Too right we did!

Thanks for this. Good to see and listen to. It's still early days in the season but it's a great platform to build on. 

Who are the 3 pundits? One of them sounded like they said we had 'Pastor' Schmeichel in goal lol

I know it was complimentary about us but they really seemed like they knew what they were talking about and not just saying your standard 'run of the mill' crap like Murphy or Jenas do sometimes. 

• Haha 1