Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

You could tell immediately with Pep and (less so) Zidane that they are elite coaches. Lampard’s Derby underachieved considering their team and resources. 

I still feel it's hard to "fail" at Chelsea. Apart from the year we won the league and they came 10th, they've consistently been up there and had success in cups. Lampard could easily get them into a European place and get somewhere in the cups. Now, if he doesn't then he might be given another year or two before results are required.

I really hope he sinks Chelsea. Not because of him but because of the club and their fans getting so excited over this.

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Wan Bissaka for 50m is up there with the worst transfers of all time. And they wonder why they're shit. 

Wait and see how he does first. In the current economy it’s a better signing than Calum Chambers/Darmian/Emerson/Rahman + other failed full back signings - the worst thing is they’ve basically written off Dalot. AWB is raw but defensively he’s great as well as being incredibly athletic. They’ve probably signed England’s starting RB for the next 10 years. 

There’s no chance a top 6 side is buying a young English player from a mid table premier league club for sub £40m these days, granted he’s not the finished article but him and Daniel James are better business than going after players that won’t join them.

• Like 2

Because even for them it's a hell of a lot of money for a player with one season in the Prem when their entire squad is ****ing awful and needs a major rework. 

Man City make the same purchase and you think, hmm, it's steep but he could be a big star for years. 

United right now? Personally think its mad business. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Because even for them it's a hell of a lot of money for a player with one season in the Prem when their entire squad is ****ing awful and needs a major rework. 

Man City make the same purchase and you think, hmm, it's steep but he could be a big star for years. 

I just love the fact that there are few players I would take from the Man U squad (Rashford, Mata and De Gea) to replace our players and after splashing £50m on AWB they have signed a player who I still wouldn't swap for Ricardo lol 

This Man U side, as a squad, are the absolute pits lol 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

I just love the fact that there are few players I would take from the Man U squad (Rashford, Mata and De Gea) to replace our players and after splashing £50m on AWB they have signed a player who I still wouldn't swap for Ricardo lol 

This Man U side, as a squad, are the absolute pits lol 

This exactly. We spent significantly less than that on Ricardo who is better and still fairly young. 

Wan Bissaka for 50m is the sort of luxury signing you make when everything is OK with your club. 

Everything is not OK with their club. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Think it’s a position they needed to strengthen more than most. AWB may well have just sorted the RB slot the next 10 years. The lad was Palace’s Player and Fans Player of the season so I think it’s  clear he’s not another ‘Danny Simpson’, has something extra about him. Palace fans rave about him.

They were never going to sell him for less than 45-50m so United had to pay over the odds or look elsewhere for their 2nd/3rd choices. It’s a middling transfer for me, hardly groundbreaking business but it’s decent enough for both parties in the current market. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Probably not the best examples. Kovac managed Salzburg, Croatia and Frankfurt. Di Matteo MK Dons and West Brom. Klopp, seven years at Mainz. 

Guardiola and Zidane more comparable as they had 12 to 18 months managing B teams of Barca and Real Madrid. 

Rijkaard became Holland manager with zero experience off the top of my head, there seemed to be a load about 15-20 years ago that got plum jobs purely down to them being shit hot as a player. Vialli, Gullit, Deschamps

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Wan Bissaka for 50m is up there with the worst transfers of all time. And they wonder why they're shit. 

It really isn't. He's a young talented RB, that'll be in the England squad for a decade, if anything it's a good investment. I'd expect a lot more for Chilly.

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

£3,600!!

Mahrez earned more than that between 3am and 7am this morning as he slept.

You'd think it was a done deal, the pull of Chelsea is surely too great?

But, I reckon Lampard will demand time and a few other assurances before he agrees to sign. Chelsea are an iffy club, not sure if there's more going on behind the scenes than we're aware.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Wait and see how he does first. In the current economy it’s a better signing than Calum Chambers/Darmian/Emerson/Rahman + other failed full back signings - the worst thing is they’ve basically written off Dalot. AWB is raw but defensively he’s great as well as being incredibly athletic. They’ve probably signed England’s starting RB for the next 10 years. 

There’s no chance a top 6 side is buying a young English player from a mid table premier league club for sub £40m these days, granted he’s not the finished article but him and Daniel James are better business than going after players that won’t join them.

Surely Trent Alexander-Arnold will be ahead of him?

Wan-Bissaka is a very good player, but I think this could be a Luke Shaw style signing all over again. Shaw is also a good player, but for the money that was paid for him you'd expect him to be one of the best left backs in the league, but he's just a decent-good player and not quite up to that level. Man United have been very bad defensively, but these days a modern full back is also pivotal to attacking play too as we see every week with our pairing. And that's an area where I'm not sure AWB is quite up to par in. For me Ricardo is the better player and not because he's our player, he's just got a better all-round game IMO.

We'll find out in the next couple of years I guess, but I think given that Ashley Young is their current right back, this is a sensible signing to make for them. 

• Like 1

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Surely Trent Alexander-Arnold will be ahead of him?

Wan-Bissaka is a very good player, but I think this could be a Luke Shaw style signing all over again. Shaw is also a good player, but for the money that was paid for him you'd expect him to be one of the best left backs in the league, but he's just a decent-good player and not quite up to that level. Man United have been very bad defensively, but these days a modern full back is also pivotal to attacking play too as we see every week with our pairing. And that's an area where I'm not sure AWB is quite up to par in. For me Ricardo is the better player and not because he's our player, he's just got a better all-round game IMO.

We'll find out in the next couple of years I guess, but I think given that Ashley Young is their current right back, this is a sensible signing to make for them. 

I completely forgot about him lol 

AWB will still get plenty of caps, I’m not convinced TAA is great defensively whereas the former is solid. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

AWB will still get plenty of caps, I’m not convinced TAA is great defensively whereas the former is solid. 

Yes I will give you that, AWB is really good defensively (other than at the U21 tournament), which is quite surprising these days as most full backs tend to be converted wingers who are good going forward but have poor positioning at the back. The player AWB reminds me of the most is actually Danny Simpson who was super steady and solid, but contributed little when we went forward. AWB is better, but I don't think he's quite got that technical quality I'd expect of a 50m player. 

Edited by StriderHiryu

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yes I will give you that, AWB is really good defensively (other than at the U21 tournament), which is quite surprising these days as most full backs tend to be converted wingers who are good going forward but have poor positioning at the back. The player AWB reminds me of the most is actually Danny Simpson who was super steady and solid, but contributed little when we went forward. AWB is better, but I don't think he's quite got that technical quality I'd expect of a 50m player. 

I also think TAA might become a central midfielder in time, very unique and classy player.

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Ironically, Wan-Bissaka is a converted winger haha. He got 3 assists last season which I genuinely think is more than Simpson got in his entire time with us - he was also playing for a really unadventurous side under Hodgson too. Apparently the fee accounts for United not removing the 25% sell on clause for Zaha which could be worth 10s of millions in itself. It's not the best business in the world but it seems to me he'd only cost more in a few seasons and they're not playing Ashley Young at RB

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Goober said:

Think it’s a position they needed to strengthen more than most. AWB may well have just sorted the RB slot the next 10 years. The lad was Palace’s Player and Fans Player of the season so I think it’s  clear he’s not another ‘Danny Simpson’, has something extra about him. Palace fans rave about him.

They were never going to sell him for less than 45-50m so United had to pay over the odds or look elsewhere for their 2nd/3rd choices. It’s a middling transfer for me, hardly groundbreaking business but it’s decent enough for both parties in the current market. 

They have Dalot and Darmain. Average right-backs who'd do a job whilst the rest of the team gets an overhaul. 

They have no CL money next season and have ignored three of their huge issues whilst signing a player where's perfectly capable players; deadwood off wage bill, centre midfield inbalance and lack of a dominant centre-back. 

Manchester United have no direction at all. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Rijkaard became Holland manager with zero experience off the top of my head, there seemed to be a load about 15-20 years ago that got plum jobs purely down to them being shit hot as a player. Vialli, Gullit, Deschamps

Defo at the explosion of the PL there was a factor of this. I think internationally it works far better than at club level. 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They have Dalot and Darmain. Average right-backs who'd do a job whilst the rest of the team gets an overhaul. 

They have no CL money next season and have ignored three of their huge issues whilst signing a player where's perfectly capable players; deadwood off wage bill, centre midfield inbalance and centre-back. 

Manchester United have no direction at all. 

They’ve been playing Ashley Young ahead of those 2. Clearly don’t rate them.