Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think we might be over-reacting a bit.

People never learn, half the time it’s the same people that was banging the drum for chillwell to be dropped and criticising Ndidi for his passing.

How can you expect young players to improve if they don’t play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Hopefully he marries someone called Miss/Mr Door. 

That comment and Ahmadinejad's photo together. Masterful Performance Sir.

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

How can you expect young players to improve if they don’t play.

Agree. That's the problem with having a successful side but we can't afford to bed players in indefinitely.

Also with building a squad. We don't have the quality to drop/rest players when they fall out of form and work their way back.

If we're going to compete for league, top 4, and cups then something has to give. These are good problems for us to have.

I'm sure Rodgers will find a way to work this out as he's not going to waste anyone's talent that's for sure. Its a fine line to walk given our current success.

Going to take time to work out.

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

Agree. That's the problem with having a successful side but we can't afford to bed players in indefinitely.

Also with building a squad. We don't have the quality to drop/rest players when they fall out of form and work their way back.

If we're going to compete for league, top 4, and cups then something has to give. These are good problems for us to have.

I'm sure Rodgers will find a way to work this out as he's not going to waste anyone's talent that's for sure. Its a fine line to walk given our current success.

Going to take time to work out.

Barnes has played the bulk of the time in the team that got us to second place, we haven't signed anyone better so who exactly are we dropping him for? Albrighton? he doesn't do what you seem to want from a winger.

I suppose we could move Ricardo there and bring Justin in but when that was done under the previous manager people were not happy with Ricardo being picked on the wing

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

Barnes has played the bulk of the time in the team that got us to second place, we haven't signed anyone better so who exactly are we dropping him for? Albrighton? he doesn't do what you seem to want from a winger.

I suppose we could move Ricardo there and bring Justin in but when that was done under the previous manager people were not happy with Ricardo being picked on the wing

We're not dropping him because there is no one better and that's the problem we face right now. The depth of our squad and the time it takes to build one.

We need more competition(real) for places to play at the level we are at.

On 15/12/2019 at 12:21, jaylcfc94 said:

He’s just not very good...a championship player. I posted this before and got slated but the opinion has changed now. 

I havent came to that conclusion yet, remember when kane was been sent out on loan struggling even in the championship.

There is some quality with barnes, but I am 50/50 on if he can make it in the EPL, and I do think he needs to either have another loan to practice his shooting or be told to stop shooting at every chance.  However Rodgers is a manager who wants the goals spread around so I think barnes will be allowed more time to try and get on top of it.

On 15/12/2019 at 12:32, StanSP said:

Some of the comments in here lol

You don't just bin off your youngsters because they go through a spell of underwhelming conceded - the other thing being that the whole team under-performed yesterday aside from Ndidi.

Whats funny is we binned of our older players on here, there is age discrimination on foxestalk. ;)

Quality players like Ulloa been considered a waste of space in squad was just embarrassing.

Also to point out Barnes issue with shooting is a lot more than one game, I am trying to decide whether you deliberately made it out to be one game only or are just assuming people are reacting to one game (wrongly).

Edited by Chrysalis

On 15/12/2019 at 13:00, Grebfromgrebland said:

People forget that we're a nursery club where players can improve and make mistakes and earn a big move away. 

That's pretty much our plan. If Barnes is going to improve he needs time.

Yes and no, I would say that changes when you competing for top 4.  I would agree with you whilst we were in transition. (with Puel)

Now we struggling to score, I think Barnes cant be wasting chances.

Just now, Chrysalis said:

Yes and no, I would say that changes when you competing for top 4.  I would agree with you whilst we were in transition. (with Puel)

Now we struggling to score, I think Barnes cant be wasting chances.

One poor match and we're 'struggling to score'? 

On 15/12/2019 at 13:19, Fox92 said:

Young players need time. He's not gonna be the complete package. He did well at WBA, Championship, and has been in our side for less than a year. If we actually had quality out wide then perhaps we could loan him out to another PL side. Give young players time instead of slating them constantly.

I read the need time a lot, but no one who says this never says how much time.

So the question is how much time?

It is interesting you consider a year not very long.

Also another question, does a players development come ahead the needs of the team?

I suspect the second question wont get answered as I have asked it 3 times on FT already with no answer.

10 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Also another question, does a players development come ahead the needs of the team?

I suspect the second question wont get answered as I have asked it 3 times on FT already with no answer.

It took Vardy over 18 months before genuinely firing.

it took Riyad longer.

it took kante 4-5 games.

so AN answer to your question is a question.

How long is a piece of string?

Barnes is doing absolutely fine for his first Season as a first teamer 

• Like 3

Just now, Shmokeee said:

It took Vardy over 18 months before genuinely firing.

it took Riyad longer.

it took kante 4-5 games.

so AN answer to your question is a question.

How long is a piece of string?

Barnes is doing absolutely fine for his first Season as a first teamer 

Mahrez impressed me the first game I seen him.

Vardy took a while but different circumstances.  You comparing been in the championship vs our current needs.

Kante 4-5 games, that is reasonable, Kante was never expected to score goals though.

So from your answer do I take it as you expect a player to be in the first team for at least 18 months before been considered to be dropped or to change their method of play?

My opinion of Barnes is that he will end up being good enough but hes not currently good enough for the level that we are challenging at. His decision making and final product just isn't good enough at the moment. The amount of times he just runs in a straight line until he is tackled is incredibly frustrating. He seems to lack the ability of shifting the ball at the last moment to win a foul if he is running into a blind alley. Something Mahrez and more recently Maddison seem to be very good at.

13 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Mahrez impressed me the first game I seen him.

Vardy took a while but different circumstances.  You comparing been in the championship vs our current needs.

Kante 4-5 games, that is reasonable, Kante was never expected to score goals though.

So from your answer do I take it as you expect a player to be in the first team for at least 18 months before been considered to be dropped or to change their method of play?

Mahrez may well of impressed you first time you saw him but go back and look at his form and figures from his first 16 games with us. And as you correctly point out, that was in the championship( a far lower standard and a way, way easier league to make your mark as a player)

Then go look at Harvey’s first 16 in the championship.

Vardy was wrote off by a lot of people playing at a lower standard. But with time, guidance and confidence building, we have the current prem top scorer.

2 seasons ago, how many people saying chillwell wasn’t good enough?

Simple fact is there is no magical formula to make a player achieve his potential, it comes with dedication and patience, both in abundance.

I genuinely believe Barnes can go on to be our most successful academy graduate. Ever.

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
14 minutes ago, TazzerFox said:

My opinion of Barnes is that he will end up being good enough but hes not currently good enough for the level that we are challenging at. His decision making and final product just isn't good enough at the moment. The amount of times he just runs in a straight line until he is tackled is incredibly frustrating. He seems to lack the ability of shifting the ball at the last moment to win a foul if he is running into a blind alley. Something Mahrez and more recently Maddison seem to be very good at.

If he scores a couple of goals in the next few matches you will be worrying that he's going to Man. Utd. Its not Barnes you should be questioning it's Perez. He's the proven goal scorer who is certainly underperforming.

Another way of looking at things...

Ronaldo first season at United.

29 games 4 goals.

second season.

33 games 5 goals.

Next TWO seasons 33 games.

9 goals in each.

the season after that,

34 games 17 goals...

Then...

34 games.

31 goals....

Drogba took 3 seasons before he got twenty. 10 12 12 and only in 34 games did he hit 20.

He was 26 when he joined Chelsea..

Point is, players NEED time. Even the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

A year isn't very long, especially when he doesn't start every week and three months of the year has been under a different manager.

I'd consider a season of first team football a long time; a season is different to a year.

Whilst we have no obviously better alternative then we might as well stick with him and see if he can get himself some confidence. Up until last weekend he has played a part in this side even without the goals. Last thing he needs is everyone on social media and more importantly in the ground getting on his back.

14 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

You think we have only had one poor match and only struggled to score in one game?

Which cave have you been in for the past month?

How many goals have we scored in the last month? 

Now look at most other teams. They're the ones struggling to score. Last match we scored 4 and by all accounts it could have been more. 

I'll ignore your insult and treat it as projection. 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 1

He's not keeping out players better than him and unless we sign a top drawer winger next month then I believe in the process that Rodgers and his staff are implementing with Barnes. I've never wanted a player to be a success here as much as Barnes but there seems to be a feeling that he's destined to fall just short for us. I've felt this since he was exceptional in League One and then immediately stepped up and did well at Barnsley and yet came back to us and against League One opposition in the FA Cup and looked lost.

Just want him to get a few goals in quick succession and see if it makes him settle down, I'm confident of every other part of his game. The movement issue seems borne out of a lack of belief.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koke said:

People forget he was playing Championship football until Puel brought him back last January. So he's basically had less than 12 months at Premier League level. Cant expect a 21 year to jump from Championship to a team with top 4/title aspirations. On top of that his general play is actually very good, superb footwork and link up play, decent assist numbers.

Harvey Barnes is over achieving at the moment. Cant remember last time someone made such a huge jump in levels and still slotted in quite smoothly. Yes he has room to grow and his finishing is surprisingly not what I expected but overall l am very happy with him so far in his City career.

In his first 16 games (11(5)) he's managed 1 goal and 4 assists; 4 assists when starting and 1 goal from the subs bench. 

Comparing it that to Mahrez's first season, 25 starts and 5 sub appearances led to 4 goals and 3 assists; so his first season isn't going too badly for a similar position.

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 2