Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

I have kept saying keep playing him but I’m getting increasingly annoyed that he comes inside off the wing every time rather than occasionally going outside the man. Keep his opposition full back guessing but he’s easy to read playing the way he does at the moment 

• Like 1

I can handle his confidence issues in front of goal. A single goal at home will probably wash this away. What I can’t understand is his complete lack of understanding / willingness to shift his position to support the team. He’s either 5 yards away from Chilwell killing his space or ahead of him but with an opposition player between them cutting out any one twos 

On Saturday in particular he was invisible when we didn’t have the ball. No pressing or even urgency to move into a defensive position. Albrighton needs a run to show Barnes what he should be doing despite having less natural talent 

• Like 3

he is the least experienced player in the starting 11 and he is still very raw I still think we should have left him at West Brom that season, but the only way he will progress is by playing... Chilwell was similar a couple of season ago and made plenty of errors now he is a proper player.

he clearly has talent and eventually the goals and experience will come. 

• Like 1

I'd rather have the youthful prospect that is Barnes over a going nowhere Gray any day. At least Barnes has scope for development and has the physique to muscle players, Gray isn't developing into anything beyond a cameo player in what is too often a tragic comedic cameo role. 

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If he was foreign and signed by Puel he'd get booed on and off the pitch most weeks. His movement is chronic and actually a detriment to the team as he just ends up in the way, or pulling their players in the wrong direction. 

Totally agree. Bringing him back from his loan was a huge error IMO.

27 minutes ago, Bazly said:

I'd rather have the youthful prospect that is Barnes over a going nowhere Gray any day. At least Barnes has scope for development and has the physique to muscle players, Gray isn't developing into anything beyond a cameo player in what is too often a tragic comedic cameo role. 

Got to agree with this. Gray is just hopeless but at least with Barnes you can see with guidance and time he can improve. Wonder if Bournemouth are still interested in Gray? lol 

35 minutes ago, Bazly said:

There's about 6 months in it mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Totally agree. Bringing him back from his loan was a huge error IMO.

Not sure it was, realistically how much more was he going to learn there. If Rodgers can't get the best of him, then I'm not sure a since departed Darren Moore was going to do much more. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If he was foreign and signed by Puel he'd get booed on and off the pitch most weeks. His movement is chronic and actually a detriment to the team as he just ends up in the way, or pulling their players in the wrong direction. 

Feel like his movement is almost what he's been told to do. Both of our wingers rarely stay to the touchline and regularly come inside. Against some teams that works, but recently it's been fairly ineffective and both wingers seem to get in the way. Would like Barnes especially to stay to the line and drag a defender out at times, rather than always showing for the inside.

Just now, Babylon said:

Not sure it was, realistically how much more was he going to learn there. If Rodgers can't get the best of him, then I'm not sure a since departed Darren Moore was going to do much more. 

There was surely more to learn alongside a free flowing attacking team at a lower standard. We didn't need to bring him back and he would likely have ended the season as Championship POTY.

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Feel like his movement is almost what he's been told to do. Both of our wingers rarely stay to the touchline and regularly come inside. Against some teams that works, but recently it's been fairly ineffective and both wingers seem to get in the way. Would like Barnes especially to stay to the line and drag a defender out at times, rather than always showing for the inside.

There is an element of that, but you can't just be a robot. You have to judge the situation in front of you, so often he could make a run that pulls a player out of Chilwell's path but doesn't. Or could make a run for an easy ball over the top, but he seems to do the opposite of what's needed at the time. 

If you can thread him in, he looks dangerous as he's very direct. But the coaches need to spend some serious time working on that left hand side because it just doesn't work as well as it could. 

This isn't just about Barnes either, all of our wingers are frustrating. I can't believe the lack of time Albrighton gets considering. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

I can handle his confidence issues in front of goal. A single goal at home will probably wash this away. What I can’t understand is his complete lack of understanding / willingness to shift his position to support the team. He’s either 5 yards away from Chilwell killing his space or ahead of him but with an opposition player between them cutting out any one twos 

On Saturday in particular he was invisible when we didn’t have the ball. No pressing or even urgency to move into a defensive position. Albrighton needs a run to show Barnes what he should be doing despite having less natural talent 

This is pretty much my problem with him.

He seems to stand still waiting for the ball. Never gives anyone an angle for a pass or make the correct run. I've said this since he returned from his loan spell.

There's a player in there, and I hope he makes it. But him and Chilwell seem to have no connection at all, and when he plays he seems to stifle Chilwell somewhat. I saw a couple of occasions on Saturday when both Chilwell and Teilemans seemed to point this out to him. 

A lack of confidence in front of goal is one thing, permanently standing 5 yards inside the opposition half, hugging the touchline is another. He needs to read the game better, learn when to make the run, become a bit more unselfish and make the runs that pull defenders away, and create angles to play around the fullback. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Babylon said:

There is an element of that, but you can't just be a robot. You have to judge the situation in front of you, so often he could make a run that pulls a player out of Chilwell's path but doesn't. Or could make a run for an easy ball over the top, but he seems to do the opposite of what's needed at the time. 

If you can thread him in, he looks dangerous as he's very direct. But the coaches need to spend some serious time working on that left hand side because it just doesn't work as well as it could. 

This isn't just about Barnes either, all of our wingers are frustrating. I can't believe the lack of time Albrighton gets considering. 

Spot on description, at times it looks like he's focusing on following instructions rather than his own game and what he's good at.

And when he runs or weaves between players he looks incredibly dangerous. But him and Chilwell need to work on their partnership.

I'd like to start Albrighton on Saturday, he has a habit of scoring against Man City and Chilwell could use the defensive support.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jaylcfc94 said:

you can’t buy something worth £90 for £89. If you have £89 you have enough to buy something worth up to £89. 

If work starts at 9, do you turn up at 9:59?

Clearly, you're twisting the facts to support your idea that Barnes is shite. I know he was poor against Norwich and he's not scoring, but let's not go overboard slagging him off. He is a young player adjusting to the top tier. He's not going to be consistent.

I'm sure he can be a great player for us in time, and I don't think we could ask for anyone better than Rodgers to get him to fulfill his potential.

Guest An Sionnach

You are obsessed with "wingers," ffs what is a winger,  this is not the 1950s and Stanley Matthews. Barnes is not a winger, he is a striker and creator of goals, the latter of which he is doing pretty well, he also has goal chances and he is not taking them but when he starts doing that he is going to be one hell of a player. I want to see double figures for him, Perez and Maddison this season with a decent contribution from Tielmans. If they do that we are nailed on top four.  Oh and by the way long ago England won the world cup without "wingers".

Edited by An Sionnach

12 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

You are obsessed with "wingers," ffs what is a winger,  this is not the 1950s and Stanley Matthews. Barnes is not a winger, he is a striker and creator of goals, the latter of which he is doing pretty well, he also has goal chances and he is not taking them but when he starts doing that he is going to be one hell of a player. I want to see double figures for him, Perez and Maddison this season with a decent contribution from Tielmans. If they do that we are nailed on top four.  Oh and by the way long ago England won the world cup without "wingers".

"Wingers":doh: I've been fighting on that hill since Rodgers came here and there's no winning that battle.

Best to retreat now with your sanity intact than to continue banging your head against the wall.

Think Liverpool is the best example with an attacking interchangeable front three. Strikers and wingers have multiple tasks that overlap in that type of system.

2 hours ago, Bazly said:

I'd much rather we spend some money and get a winger that can provide both assists and goals.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Perez I'd keep and play

Barnes I'd keep for the future

Gray I'd let go

Albrighton, we know what he can do but he doesn't give enough goals or assists and I don't expect him to improve.

Time to buy a new winger.

Guest An Sionnach
11 minutes ago, SO1 said:

"Wingers":doh: I've been fighting on that hill since Rodgers came here and there's no winning that battle.

Best to retreat now with your sanity intact than to continue banging your head against the wall.

Think Liverpool is the best example with an attacking interchangeable front three. Strikers and wingers have multiple tasks that overlap in that type of system.

I agree with you entirely and shall now shut up about it.

46 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I agree with you entirely and shall now shut up about it.

Didn't mean it like that. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone.:) Always looking for new or different insights into the modern game.