Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

And he also does nothing defensively. How many times do you see him track runs from the full back and make interceptions or tackles? Or get close enough to a winger to put them off their stride? Barely any. He's usually ambling around expecting somebody else to win the ball and then he can just attack. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Funny I notice the other way round, Perez is been given more negativity whilst Barnes is immune just because we had him in the youth teams.  FT seems to definitely prefer younger players.

We must be looking in very different threads

9 minutes ago, Anish said:

And he also does nothing defensively. How many times do you see him track runs from the full back and make interceptions or tackles? Or get close enough to a winger to put them off their stride? Barely any. He's usually ambling around expecting somebody else to win the ball and then he can just attack. 

Spot on.   Going forward not a composed finisher, yet I heard he scored 9 goals in half a season at West Brom, don't believe its just the level. 

Secondly how quick is he?  I don't know the answer but he never seems to back himself against the full backs he plays against in terms of a foot race and trying to beat them for pace.

And as you said, rarely puts a foot in and means it, and tracking back is totally cosmetic and not sure he really knows what to do when he gets there.

Totally scared of experienced opposition too, Walker just bounced him off his shoulder tonight a couple of times.

Its tricky, course we want him to do well, local lad, home developed, but you have to pull your weight, if he was better defensively would Chilwell have done better against Mahrez, who knows.......

He's got to produce more though going backwards and forwards, though TBF fantastic ball/assist to Vardy and great goal against Sheff U.

• Like 1

Other than the perfect deft outside of the foot pass to Vardy for that goal Barnes looked like a young deer in the headlights against city.

we were almost like a man down on that left side. It wasn’t an easy job for any player to position himself well defensively but he was very poor at it. Mahrez was having the time of his life going at chillwell. It was a matter of time before that weakness led to a goal. I was literally screaming at the telly hoping Brendan takes Barnes off and puts hamza in their to shut down the channel and rough up Mahrez a bit. Baffling why we persevered for so long.

feel a little sorry for the lad in the end after being wiped out by ederson who I thought should have got a red for that dangerous tackle!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Anish said:

He can't track a winger and press at the same time. I wouldn't say he ambles around, it's more tactical than that. He's closed down players plenty of times before.

You simply cannot chastise the lad for an indifferent performance against one of the best teams to ever play in the Premier League!  Yes, he still has a lot to learn and his form has been up and down, but don't you see...there is a real player in there!  Once he gets that edge, that nastiness, that ruthless streak that Jamie Vardy has, we will see a completely different player.   This is his FIRST 
FULL YEAR in the Premier league.  He will be a completely different beast to Perez who just isn't quite good enough for a title challenging team.

Mark my words, this lad WILL make leap under Brendons management.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

5 assists and 1 goal in 12 matches! I’d argue that it’s exciting that many think he could still be doing better

Yet more people completely inventing stats to try and prove a point.

Where the **** have you got 12 games from?

5 goals and 1 asssist in 17 games, isn't a bad return for his first proper season in the prem. 

In comparison, Youri has 3 goals and 3 assists from 18 games, and Ayoze has 4 goals and 1 assist in 15 games.

Anyone saying Barnes is being carried needs to jog on. He's a key player in our attack, who will get better with confidence.

The bigger issue is the offensive contribution of our midfield in general. 

If Harvey could finish, he’d be a hell of a player. The chance last night when he got injured should have been tucked away. Great cross from Vardy. All season he’s getting into lovely positions but his shooting and composure is weak. Improve that and this thread becomes how great he is 

• Like 1

I don't think he's being carried but calling him a "key player" is massively over compensating. Outside of the Southampton game, he clearly hasn't been.

I get he's a local lad that people want to do well and sure he might develop ina couple of year, but he's clearly been largely drifting in and out of games and had a lot more average games than good ones since his return from loan and to call him a "key player" is massively talking down where we are as a club right now. He's clearly not been anything like key player for us (neither have Tielemans or Perez). Vardy, Ndidi, Soyunchu, Ricardo, Schmeichel and Maddison are "key players" way, way before Barnes is.

Todd Cantwell is younger than him, had a very erratic and inconsistent season for a side in the relegation zone and has still been better than Barnes for example.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

Just now, Sampson said:

I don't think he's being carried but calling him a "key player" is massively over compensating. Outside of the Southampton game, he clearly hasn't been.

I get he's a local lad that people want to do well and sure he might develop in a couple of year, but he's clearly been pretty mediocre since his return from loan and to call him a "key player" is massively talking down where we are as a club right now. He's clearly not been anything like key player for us (neither have Tielemans or Perez). Vardy, Ndidi, Soyunchu, Ricardo, Schmeichel and Maddison are "key players" way, way before Barnes is.

Todd Cantwell is younger than him, had a very erratic and inconsistent season for a side in the relegation zone and has still been better than Barnes for example.

Maybe key player was a tad extreme, but he's important to our side, when he's on form we usually are.

The Cantwell comparison is interesting, but funny as Cantwell has 5 goals and 2 assists in 18 games, 1 more contribution than Barnes.

He's 2 months younger than Barnes, so age isn't worth mentioning tbh. 

Cantwell looks a great player, but seems to be given more freedom than Barnes, he was popping up everywhere against us. A player I'd love to see signed should Norwich go down.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Other than the perfect deft outside of the foot pass to Vardy for that goal Barnes looked like a young deer in the headlights against city.

we were almost like a man down on that left side. It wasn’t an easy job for any player to position himself well defensively but he was very poor at it. Mahrez was having the time of his life going at chillwell. It was a matter of time before that weakness led to a goal. I was literally screaming at the telly hoping Brendan takes Barnes off and puts hamza in their to shut down the channel and rough up Mahrez a bit. Baffling why we persevered for so long.

feel a little sorry for the lad in the end after being wiped out by ederson who I thought should have got a red for that dangerous tackle!

Hamza not on bench

1 hour ago, ElusiveEd said:

Barnes just needs a couple goals, especially at home.

He will become a hell of a player in time but at the moment there is nothing that will do him more good than an outstanding game or two and/or a couple of goals.

You can see everything from his body language, his desperation to please and be accepted and acknowledged will come as will his confidence once he bangs in a few home goals. 

He's one player I can see as being on the verge of something special.

His time will come.

I agree bud

he just needs a goal or two and then you feel it will flow from there

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I stand by everything I’ve said about his movement and finishing. He needs help from the coaches.

Definitely, he has a lot of the raw ability that can't really be coached like pace, strength and dribbling ability but he doesn't really have a footballing brain yet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Definitely, he has a lot of the raw ability that can't really be coached like pace, strength and dribbling ability but he doesn't really have a footballing brain yet.

No footballing brain is harsh. The lad has 5 assists which is joint 5th in the league.

• Like 3