Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc sheff

Jay Rodriguez

30 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Sturridge, Vardy, Robben.

Barnes, Maddison, Tielemans,

Chillwell, Maguire, Evans, Peirera

Kasper.

Looks top 6 to me.

Absolutely NO balance to that team at all. That midfield is a riot. You need more than two defensive players in a team. 

2 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

22 goals yes, but...

8 of those were penalties, the highest in the division. Scoring penalties is not really indicative of open play goal scoring ability. 

Removing pens leaves 14 goals in 47 games (4132 minutes) - a lot of games...so we need to account for time on the pitch...

...his rate of non-penalty goals per 90 minutes played was actually only the 39th best in the Championship last season (for players with over 20 games played) 

So, a bit of context to cut through the "20 goal a season striker" narrative...he's not all that, we can do better. :)

(bonus stat: 6 assists, the same as our lad Barnes, who was there half a season...so he's not setting up loads of goals either)

(all this in a WBA team who scored the second most in the division)

Great post and on the evidence of that I'm out. 

• Like 3

He wouldn't be my first choice, but at that price and as back up it may leave more funds for a winger and midfielder which have to be priority as we need players in those positions to go into the team and not the squad.

We can always look for a younger vards replacement in January or next summer

37 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

22 goals yes, but...

8 of those were penalties, the highest in the division. Scoring penalties is not really indicative of open play goal scoring ability. 

Removing pens leaves 14 goals in 47 games (4132 minutes) - a lot of games...so we need to account for time on the pitch...

...his rate of non-penalty goals per 90 minutes played was actually only the 39th best in the Championship last season (for players with over 20 games played) 

So, a bit of context to cut through the "20 goal a season striker" narrative...he's not all that, we can do better. :)

(bonus stat: 6 assists, the same as our lad Barnes, who was there half a season...so he's not setting up loads of goals either)

(all this in a WBA team who scored the second most in the division)

have we really turned full circle in the ‘penalties done count’ discussion?

Guest SO1
1 hour ago, RobHawk said:

He wouldn't be my first choice, but at that price and as back up it may leave more funds for a winger and midfielder which have to be priority as we need players in those positions to go into the team and not the squad.

We can always look for a younger vards replacement in January or next summer

That's a good point. We may have someone in mind who won't be available until winter or summer. Timing is everything if we're after a specific person.

I think he'd be a superb back up signing. Works hard, can hold up the ball and scores. At that price it makes so much sense, can't imagine his wages would be unreasonable either.

1442451561_Screenshot2019-06-05at01_16_10.thumb.png.fcb55d0a525ad811a4bbeb46550d18dd.png

1048397014_Screenshot2019-06-05at01_16_21.thumb.png.d406bdc879bf05f95f35491488d8463b.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I think he'd be a superb back up signing. Works hard, can hold up the ball and scores. At that price it makes so much sense, can't imagine his wages would be unreasonable either.

1442451561_Screenshot2019-06-05at01_16_10.thumb.png.fcb55d0a525ad811a4bbeb46550d18dd.png

1048397014_Screenshot2019-06-05at01_16_21.thumb.png.d406bdc879bf05f95f35491488d8463b.png

If Vardy gets injured for significant amount of time, you really want Jay Rodriguez leading the line for our top 6 push? Surely we can do better. As a 3rd or 4th choice back-up maybe, but we need a striker who can genuinely push Vardy for a starting place. Iheanacho was supposed to be it, he wasn't but that doesn't mean we should start signing squad fillers now and hang our hopes on Vardy being fit all season. If we are genuinely attempting to break into the top 6 as Rodgers says, then we need at least two quality strikers, with a top young prospect coming through too, ideally. 

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

If Vardy gets injured for significant amount of time, you really want Jay Rodriguez leading the line for our top 6 push? Surely we can do better. As a 3rd or 4th choice back-up maybe, but we need a striker who can genuinely push Vardy for a starting place. Iheanacho was supposed to be it, he wasn't but that doesn't mean we should start signing squad fillers now and hang our hopes on Vardy being fit all season. If we are genuinely attempting to break into the top 6 as Rodgers says, then we need at least two quality strikers, with a top young prospect coming through too, ideally. 

Outside the top 6 how many teams have one genuinely good striker aside from us and Wolves? As back up for a season or two he’s a brilliant option. If we want a striker to challenge Vardy we’re going to have to spend top dollar (which we don’t really have) or unearth a gem which seems unlikely.

Better option than Slimani and Iheanaco, had a great season at West Brom, prem experience, tall, deceptively mobile, good all round game. I think turning our noses up at him is snobbery; especially when the last inexpensive player we bought from West Brom was one of our best players last season.

• Like 2

Wouldn't be adverse to him at that price. He's certainly a better option than our current options in that department, minus Vardy of course. He was a very good player at Southampton and would likely have been on the fringe of the England squad for years had it not been for injuries, seems to have rediscovered his form and fitness at WBA. We, as a club, also have a far better history with this type of player than we do with big money forwards. 

8 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Wouldn't be adverse to him at that price. He's certainly a better option than our current options in that department, minus Vardy of course. He was a very good player at Southampton and would likely have been on the fringe of the England squad for years had it not been for injuries, seems to have rediscovered his form and fitness at WBA. We, as a club, also have a far better history with this type of player than we do with big money forwards. 

Good shout 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MPH said:

have we really turned full circle in the ‘penalties done count’ discussion?

I'm not aware of any previous discussion, but they really shouldn't count. They basically give a player a chance to inflate their goal tally without demonstrating the sort of skill you would want to see when evaluating a striker - ie. finding space and getting a shot off under pressure. 

*Before you say the actual scoring of penalties is the skill, they are almost universally (across leagues, countries, seasons) converted at the same rate, 80%, so there's not a lot to read into them really. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

I'm not aware of any previous discussion, but they really shouldn't count. They basically give a player a chance to inflate their goal tally without demonstrating the sort of skill you would want to see when evaluating a striker - ie. finding space and getting a shot off under pressure. 

*Before you say the actual scoring of penalties is the skill, they are almost universally (across leagues, countries, seasons) converted at the same rate, 80%, so there's not a lot to read into them really. 

I think he is referring to the penalties Vardy scores when we say he is a 15-20 goal a season striker etc.

My personal view is that any professional footballer should be able to kick a static ball into a top corner from 12 yards.   Conversion rates should be near 100%!

47 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

We should be looking to spend at least £40m on a striker.  Enough of this bargain basement shit.

We're not spending that sort of money on a backup player.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

He is a good player but a bit injury prone. I could see him being an option out wide or up-front.

Rodriguez would be an upgrade on Shinji who he would be replacing.

I think Brendan will give Nacho a season also.

He’s had three injuries in his career, one really bad one but not a patch on Sturridge’s injury list 

4 hours ago, mozartfox said:

His Grand-Father (Peter) was one of the best full backs ever seen at this Club.

Up to the 80s, Leicester always found a top bline,and those 2 eras covering Rodrigues and Rofe,were probably our best 

between ' ice-kings' and the the title season...

Edited by fuchsntf