Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Silva Fox

Mbwana Samatta

He has a very good scoring record this season with 20 goals in 30 games. Belgian League is hard to asses but the last striker brought from Genk to the Premier League was Benteke for Villa who was great for them before moving to Liverpool. The last player we brought from Genk was Ndidi who has gone on to become a first team slawart. 

The age age of this player (26) is in between Vardy and Nacho which suggests that Nacho may still be thought of as the long term replacement with an interim player like this one providing immediate depth and flexibility to the squad. 

Can’t really comment on the player as I’ve not seen him so it would be great if some of the Leuven fans could chime in. But on paper and at that quoted price the player seems like a decent punt for someone to take. I’d imagine that you’d have to pay considerably more for either of Maupay or Adams from the championship as a comparison. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He has a very good scoring record this season with 20 goals in 30 games. Belgian League is hard to asses but the last striker brought from Genk to the Premier League was Benteke for Villa who was great for them before moving to Liverpool. The last player we brought from Genk was Ndidi who has gone on to become a first team slawart. 

The age age of this player (26) is in between Vardy and Nacho which suggests that Nacho may still be thought of as the long term replacement with an interim player like this one providing immediate depth and flexibility to the squad. 

Can’t really comment on the player as I’ve not seen him so it would be great if some of the Leuven fans could chime in. But on paper and at that quoted price the player seems like a decent punt for someone to take. I’d imagine that you’d have to pay considerably more for either of Maupay or Adams from the championship as a comparison. 

Would make sense to bring someone in whilst nacho develops  (hopefully), you forget he's only 22.

23 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Would make sense to bring someone in whilst nacho develops  (hopefully), you forget he's only 22.

In the meantime Kylian Mbappe aged 20 just came off a season of scoring 39 goals. Admittedly he is freakishly good and far from the norm!

But it wouldn't surprise me if we either loaned out or sold Nacho. I think he needs to play every week for someone to see if he really can do it. Given how well he ended last season and what he looked like in preseason (where he was probably our most impressive player), he had a very poor season this time around.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

In the meantime Kylian Mbappe aged 20 just came off a season of scoring 39 goals. Admittedly he is freakishly good and far from the norm!

But it wouldn't surprise me if we either loaned out or sold Nacho. I think he needs to play every week for someone to see if he really can do it. Given how well he ended last season and what he looked like in preseason (where he was probably our most impressive player), he had a very poor season.

I agree. Nacho needs to take a step back to move forward. He may benefit from a loan or permanent move to either France or to the Championship.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yeah it's a league that can really produce some excellent players for the top leagues in Europe but some flop badly. Benteke is a strange player, evidently has or had ability as he has scored at all levels on a regular basis, there's got to be a crisis of confidence with him and it's seriously doubtful he'll ever reach the level he was once at again.

Genk have Trossard and Samatta who are likely to leave, £30m double deal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

9 1/2

Yeah because we've been confused about this before when purchasing strikers - I still have no clue what Iheanacho is in relation to a 9 or a 10!

Reason I ask is I'm wondering how he might fit in to our current plans.... Y'know, questions like 'Vardy or Maddisson' or 'replacement or competition' - just wondering, I'd presume he provides a different option off the bench and would be a Maddisson/Vardy sub to be developed?

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

Yeah because we've been confused about this before when purchasing strikers - I still have no clue what Iheanacho is in relation to a 9 or a 10!

Reason I ask is I'm wondering how he might fit in to our current plans.... Y'know, questions like 'Vardy or Maddisson' or 'replacement or competition' - just wondering, I'd presume he provides a different option off the bench and would be a Maddisson/Vardy sub to be developed?

He looks a number 9 to me, so can't see him being the sort to play on the wing whilst he waits for the odd chance to fill in for Vardy. This is the problem in an era where 1 striker through the middle is the preferred formation, it's as bad as trying to get quality competition for goalkeepers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He looks a number 9 to me, so can't see him being the sort to play on the wing whilst he waits for the odd chance to fill in for Vardy. This is the problem in an era where 1 striker through the middle is the preferred formation, it's as bad as trying to get quality competition for goalkeepers.

I think this is fine moving forward though. Vards has accepted he's not going to be able to play as many minutes, so mixing and matching over the 90 minutes for the league and cup matches should work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah it's a league that can really produce some excellent players for the top leagues in Europe but some flop badly. Benteke is a strange player, evidently has or had ability as he has scored at all levels on a regular basis, there's got to be a crisis of confidence with him and it's seriously doubtful he'll ever reach the level he was once at again.

Genk have Trossard and Samatta who are likely to leave, £30m double deal?

that would be a very good deal in my opinion

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...