FIF

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Tavares?

Wasn’t he getting cold feet about British politics? I hope we’ve reassured him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Tavares?

He'd be the obvious choice, we also signed a young midfielder from Bury, Callum Hulme who has since failed to make a single appearance for the U18's or U23's. Callum Wright, Leshabela and Dewsbury-Hall will likely be the main midfield three.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, justfoxes said:

Be great for the Lad he looks real quality on the ball but wouldn’t mind  Eppiah Making the step up maybe in our FA cup next leg?

There is no way that hirst is anywhere near a first team call up.

9 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I like Johansson.  He’s got a chance to be pretty good.

He looks very good. We have good goalkeepers everywhere.

It's strange isn't it you win match after match and the forum treats you as if you play for Nottm. Forest . A long term injury to Vardy and some of you would be changing your tune pretty quickly. Is it because of Chilwell and Barnes's recent form. Yes we have a rotten record with young players but does that have to continue?

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

It's strange isn't it you win match after match and the forum treats you as if you play for Nottm. Forest . A long term injury to Vardy and some of you would be changing your tune pretty quickly. Is it because of Chilwell and Barnes's recent form. Yes we have a rotten record with young players but does that have to continue?

I mean firstly, Hirst as well as our other youth options haven't ever played at a level where you can say they would even get a game for Forest. Secondly, an injury to Vardy and I'd be crowing for Nacho and/or Perez to be our front line. Thirdly, we don't have a rotten record with young players, we have a pretty good record with young players; Chilwell and Barnes being very out of form doesn't suddenly give us a rotten record.

I'm all for giving young players a chance, don't get me wrong - but it isn't just a case of throwing all the U23s into the team when we go through a rough patch just because they're doing well in the U23 league, which I believe is generally populated with younger teams than ours. Which isn't to denigrate our U23 players, they're clearly doing well right now and I hope it continues - but they're not suddenly all ready for first team football for the team 3rd in the Prem just based on that. I'm hoping Rodgers maybe gives one or two some time against Brentford in the cup from the bench or something like that, and maybe a few bench cameos in the league if we're lucky to be in a position to do so, but just throwing young players into the first team willy nilly isn't going to magically solve all of our problems.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, The_Rorab said:

I mean firstly, Hirst as well as our other youth options haven't ever played at a level where you can say they would even get a game for Forest. Secondly, an injury to Vardy and I'd be crowing for Nacho and/or Perez to be our front line. Thirdly, we don't have a rotten record with young players, we have a pretty good record with young players; Chilwell and Barnes being very out of form doesn't suddenly give us a rotten record.

I'm all for giving young players a chance, don't get me wrong - but it isn't just a case of throwing all the U23s into the team when we go through a rough patch just because they're doing well in the U23 league, which I believe is generally populated with younger teams than ours. Which isn't to denigrate our U23 players, they're clearly doing well right now and I hope it continues - but they're not suddenly all ready for first team football for the team 3rd in the Prem just based on that. I'm hoping Rodgers maybe gives one or two some time against Brentford in the cup from the bench or something like that, and maybe a few bench cameos in the league if we're lucky to be in a position to do so, but just throwing young players into the first team willy nilly isn't going to magically solve all of our problems.

My position always is exhaust your options within your playing staff first before you go out and pay inflated prices for another teams cast offs. The great majority of whom either disappoint or even flop completely. We don't have any real problems anyway that I can see. We can introduce the most talented of our younger players in  a measured and sensible way like other clubs do.

Edited by An Sionnach

I hope Luke Thomas gets a loan soon. Is it right that clubs are only getting year long loans now? Think i was it here - may have misread.

If you go on the “Is in a good national youth team, should do well” metric then Luke Thomas, Hirst and Eppiah look promising.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I hope Luke Thomas gets a loan soon. Is it right that clubs are only getting year long loans now? Think i was it here - may have misread.

If you go on the “Is in a good national youth team, should do well” metric then Luke Thomas, Hirst and Eppiah look promising.

They'll be able to go out on loan this month until the end of the season.

10 minutes ago, cal21212121 said:

It's good to see Luke Thomas and Ughelumba both training with the first team in the training vid they put out today

It is! I recall that Ughelumba has switched from LB to CB for the u23s recently, and it seems to be going great for him. 

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Both left backs interestingly. Planning for Fuch's retirement maybe.

To replace Chilwell and Fuchs :ph34r:

Really hope Ughelumba gets a chance. Been learning to play CB this year, so he’s another player who is versatile. 

However, if he does get a chance I hope it’s at LB or LWB. 

His natural physicality would translate to the PL very well I think. Got a decent cross too. 

• Like 1

On 14/01/2020 at 20:09, Ric Flair said:

I keep saying it, who out of the U23's deserves to be in the first team? We have the best striker in the division and a back up with the best goals and assists ratio. Play them out of position shall we? Brilliant.

I agree, I wouldn't choose anybody in the U23's for the first squad. The only players that remotely stood out for me were Johansson/Thomas/Dewsbury--Hall/Hirst. 

I like Hirst, reminds me of Harry Kane, but he lacks speed even though his skill in excellent.

Ps. Does anyone else think that Micky Adam's commentary in the U23's is dreadful? 

Hope you don't mind me joining you on this topic. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I agree, I wouldn't choose anybody in the U23's for the first squad. The only players that remotely stood out for me were Johansson/Thomas/Dewsbury--Hall/Hirst. 

I like Hirst, reminds me of Harry Kane, but he lacks speed even though his skill in excellent.

Ps. Does anyone else think that Micky Adam's commentary in the U23's is dreadful? 

Hope you don't mind me joining you on this topic. 

Mitch Clark and the two left backs Thomas and Calvin Ughelumba have looked good as well but even James Justin can barely get a game for us so how can they be considered. It's a real shame there's no wide players in the U23's, there are a couple in the U18's in Pennant, Arlott-John and Fitzhugh that i'd have hoped would have been promoted to the U23's this season but the progression is so slow under Beaglehole. Micky Adams and Sean St Ledger as commentators are awful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Mitch Clark and the two left backs Thomas and Calvin Ughelumba have looked good as well but even James Justin can barely get a game for us so how can they be considered. It's a real shame there's no wide players in the U23's, there are a couple in the U18's in Pennant, Arlott-John and Fitzhugh that i'd have hoped would have been promoted to the U23's this season but the progression is so slow under Beaglehole. Micky Adams and Sean St Ledger as commentators are awful.

Who are the wingers in the U23s keeping the 3 you mentioned in the U18s from stepping up?

Do the u23s play the same formation as the first team?

10 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Who are the wingers in the U23s keeping the 3 you mentioned in the U18s from stepping up?

Do the u23s play the same formation as the first team?

They play strikers there in more of a 4-3-3 as the central midfielders used are more defence minded than the first team. Muskwe, Eppiah and Regbha often play out wide.

• Like 1

No Muskwe, Johnson or Hirst in tonight's squad - loans pending?

Hirst has been linked with Rotherham but wasn't in Monday's squad vs. Brighton either, so he may just be injured?

Arsenal pen

1-0

we’re not making chances

they look threatening 

Luke Thomas doing ok 

we are trying to play rather than being direct 

Edited by st albans fox