Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

BY RICHARD CUSACK

21:03, 24 JUL 2019

Leicester City's Under-23s were beaten 4-0 by OH-Leuven on Wednesday night.

City's sister club, also owned by King Power, travelled to Leuven for their third fixture of pre-season.

Steve Beaglehole's side saw three first-team players feature for the Young Foxes in Filip Benkovic, Fousenni Diabate and Daniel Amartey.

Benkovic was making his first appearance for City since returning from Celtic on loan, while Amartey continues his recovery from an ankle injury sustained last October.

Diabate is unlikely to feature in Brendan Rodgers' first-team squad this season and has been linked with a return to Turkey, where he spent the second half of last season on loan, at Sivasspor.

Other notable names who were involved include Khanya Leshabela, Josh Knight, Callum Elder, George Thomas and Alex Pascanu, the latter returning from Under-21 European Championships commitments in Italy with Romania.

Leuven took the lead after 15 minutes with a goal from Kamal Sowah, who is on loan from City.

They ended half-time 1-0 up and doubled their advantage ten minutes into the second half through a penalty by Yanis Mbombo.

Drin Sula added a third seven minutes later with the help of video assistant referee, while Jo Gilis netted another spot-kick one minute from time to complete the rout.

Leicester's Under-23s round off their pre-season with a trip to Radcliffe when they return to the United Kingdom on August 6. 

They now have two defeats and one win from their summer preparations so far, beating Jersey Bulls 3-0 earlier this month before losing 1-0 to Hednesford Town on Friday.

Leicester City Under-23s : Johansson; Amartey, Moore, Knight, Benkovic, Elder; G. Thomas, Leshabela, Wright, Diabate; Muskwe.

Substitutes : Stolarczyk, Daley-Campbell, Ndukwu, Clark, Pascanu, Tee, Loft.

56 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

BY RICHARD CUSACK

21:03, 24 JUL 2019

Leicester City's Under-23s were beaten 4-0 by OH-Leuven on Wednesday night.

City's sister club, also owned by King Power, travelled to Leuven for their third fixture of pre-season.

Steve Beaglehole's side saw three first-team players feature for the Young Foxes in Filip Benkovic, Fousenni Diabate and Daniel Amartey.

Benkovic was making his first appearance for City since returning from Celtic on loan, while Amartey continues his recovery from an ankle injury sustained last October.

Diabate is unlikely to feature in Brendan Rodgers' first-team squad this season and has been linked with a return to Turkey, where he spent the second half of last season on loan, at Sivasspor.

Other notable names who were involved include Khanya Leshabela, Josh Knight, Callum Elder, George Thomas and Alex Pascanu, the latter returning from Under-21 European Championships commitments in Italy with Romania.

Leuven took the lead after 15 minutes with a goal from Kamal Sowah, who is on loan from City.

They ended half-time 1-0 up and doubled their advantage ten minutes into the second half through a penalty by Yanis Mbombo.

Drin Sula added a third seven minutes later with the help of video assistant referee, while Jo Gilis netted another spot-kick one minute from time to complete the rout.

Leicester's Under-23s round off their pre-season with a trip to Radcliffe when they return to the United Kingdom on August 6. 

They now have two defeats and one win from their summer preparations so far, beating Jersey Bulls 3-0 earlier this month before losing 1-0 to Hednesford Town on Friday.

Leicester City Under-23s : Johansson; Amartey, Moore, Knight, Benkovic, Elder; G. Thomas, Leshabela, Wright, Diabate; Muskwe.

Substitutes : Stolarczyk, Daley-Campbell, Ndukwu, Clark, Pascanu, Tee, Loft.

A reasonable squad... OHL must be happy wit that result?

5 hours ago, ozleicester said:

A reasonable squad... OHL must be happy wit that result?

OHL played their reserves squad, first team plays tomorrow vs ADO Den Haag. I have not seen the match but apparently LCFC had a complete off-day. Results in friendly games don't mean anything, I hope our team will be ready next week when it counts.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, leuven said:

OHL played their reserves squad, first team plays tomorrow vs ADO Den Haag. I have not seen the match but apparently LCFC had a complete off-day. Results in friendly games don't mean anything, I hope our team will be ready next week when it counts.

You fancy yourselves to win the league this season?

21 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

You fancy yourselves to win the league this season?

that's the outspoken ambition for this season but it's hard to tell at the time as they are still looking for 4-5 reinforcements. At the moment the squad is too thin, the starting 11 looks good if they can add a strong central defender thanks to some good transfers during the last winter break. But the squad needs some extra quality to deal with injuries, suspensions,...

22 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Has Darnell Johnson even been seen yet this pre-season?

Been wondering that.  Last pre-season he was one of the better performers in a makeshift first team that was missing numerous players who'd featured at the World Cup.  This pre-season I don't think he travelled to the Evian training camp, hasn't featured in pre-season squads, and doesn't even seem to be making the bench for the U23s.  Not seen anything about him being released or loaned out either.

4 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Is Sowah any good? 

he has not impressed and most of the time did not even make the 18 player squad last season. He was not supposed to come back on loan but all of a sudden he joined the team again when they went to Holland for training camp. They did not even communicate on him coming back.

2 minutes ago, leuven said:

he has not impressed and most of the time did not even make the 18 player squad last season. He was not supposed to come back on loan but all of a sudden he joined the team again when they went to Holland for training camp. They did not even communicate on him coming back.

... well taken goal, finished with aplomb! 

Surprised he was not making the game day squad. If he can show such composure in front of goal then I think we should be looking to bring him back to the UK. 

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that promising Nigerian defender Daniel Obi is now a bona fide player of Premier League side Leicester City.

Obi has been training with the Foxes youth team since November 2018 and there was an agreement for the player to sign a two-year scholarship on July 1, 2019.

Leicester City have not yet confirmed their new first-year scholars for the 2019-2020 season, but this website has been informed that the central defender is among the prospects in the intake, having penned a two-year deal.

Although Obi grew up in the United Kingdom, he has not forgotten his roots and was part of the Team Nigeria UK squad that defeated Team Zimbabwe UK in an international friendly in London.

He has already debuted for Leicester City U18s, against Norwich City in an U18 Premier League fixture in April 2019. 

Derby County, Birmingham City and Leeds United had explored the possibility of signing the center back but he chose to join Leicester City. 

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

So that's another 4 new defenders signed for our U23's this summer, surely at least a few of Hughes, Knight, Pascanu, Moore and Johnson will be getting loan moves away? It'll be interesting to see whether the U18's will be promoted this year or if we will continue clogging the pathway with released 18-20 year old players who have less than a 1% chance of making it with us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

So that's another 4 new defenders signed for our U23's this summer, surely at least a few of Hughes, Knight, Pascanu, Moore and Johnson will be getting loan moves away? It'll be interesting to see whether the U18's will be promoted this year or if we will continue clogging the pathway with released 18-20 year old players who have less than a 1% chance of making it with us.

This Clark has played full season at league two, ready to step up straight away to a league one loan? 

2 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

This Clark has played full season at league two, ready to step up straight away to a league one loan? 

Hopefully, I just don't get the thought process of having so many youngsters some of them now in their early 20's. George Hirst not even made an appearance in pre-season yet, is he injured?

55 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Similar to Sam Hughes and George Thomas then who if anything have declined since joining our u23s. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Hopefully, I just don't get the thought process of having so many youngsters some of them now in their early 20's. George Hirst not even made an appearance in pre-season yet, is he injured?

I agree as nobody we’ve signed at age of 20 is for the u23s has actually made it first team. Iversen probably going to be the closest? Not sure when/where we got leahabala from? Then we got Barnes chilwell choudary who all been in academy a few year from early ages! I wonder what the thought process is! 

37 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

I agree as nobody we’ve signed at age of 20 is for the u23s has actually made it first team. Iversen probably going to be the closest? Not sure when/where we got leahabala from? Then we got Barnes chilwell choudary who all been in academy a few year from early ages! I wonder what the thought process is! 

I think it is so we can sometimes field a team full of older players to batter the 18 year olds we come up against. I don't think we plan on them ever getting to the first team.