Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr The Singh

Circumcision

40 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Situation Vacant - Circumciser - Salary £15,000 plus tips

Do you just float around the forum popping your head in random threads, cracking jokes and making puns? :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Do you just float around the forum popping your head in random threads, cracking jokes and making puns? :ph34r:

Outed 

I actually have nothing to add of any intellectual or forensic value to the forum

But I now try to avoid the joke thread as I post what I think is the funniest gag ever and you then quote when the same joke was posted in 2009 lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

People were born with foreskin so why have it chopped off and why do it to young children. if it's a part of our body chances are we need it and we have it for a reason.  it's totally wrong to perform unnecessary procedures on children. these religious practices which were thought up in the dark ages have no place in modern society.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Someone on Twitter did a brilliant stunt a year or so ago.  

She posted pictures of her young baby with her ears pierced and she was absolutely bollocked by the Twitter 'police'. 2 days later she replied with the original image showing the earings had been photoshopped in and that if this got such an uproar and attention, why is circumcision of babies allowed and not questioned.

Because it is part of a particular religious belief and potentially infringes freedom of religion.

It also has some health advantages, according to wiki:

Male circumcision reduces the risk of HIV infection among heterosexual men in sub-Saharan Africa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision

I have to make it clear though that I find the mutilation of the female genitals in certain Muslim countries a barbaric act.

15 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Because it is part of a particular religious belief and potentially infringes freedom of religion.

I have to make it clear though that I find the mutilation of the female genitals in certain Muslim countries a barbaric act.

:doh:

Guest Harrydc

Against it. You can choose to have the procedure at an older age when you can have a say in the matter if you really want to. To do it to a baby is cruel. 

Some people making it sound like kids are getting their fingers chopped. it's just a small piece of forskin. it's good for hygiene.and yeah, there is no such thing as "female circumcision". that is a cultural thing and it has nothing to do with religion

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

I don’t like the cut of your jib

That's cos he was making a jibe.

Isn't it common practice in some countries, not even for religious reasons, just something that gets done?

Just putting it out there (as it were).

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

That's cos he was making a jibe.

Isn't it common practice in some countries, not even for religious reasons, just something that gets done?

Just putting it out there (as it were).

In America, it was the default practice for some time. Even though the majority of people do it for non-religious reasons. 

There once was a powerful Japanese emperor who needed a new chief samurai. So he sent out a declaration throughout the entire known world that he was searching for a chief.

A year passed, and only three people applied for the very demanding position: a Japanese samurai, a Chinese samurai, and a Jewish samurai.

The emperor asked the Japanese samurai to come in and demonstrate why he should be the chief samurai. The Japanese samurai opened a matchbox, and out popped a bumblebee. Whoosh! went his sword. The bumblebee dropped dead, chopped in half.
The emperor exclaimed, "That is very impressive! “The emperor then issued the same challenge to the Chinese samurai, to come in and demonstrate why he should be chosen. The Chinese samurai also opened a matchbox and out buzzed a fly. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh! The fly dropped dead, chopped into four small pieces.
The emperor exclaimed, "That is very impressive!"
Now the emperor turned to the Jewish samurai, and asked him to demonstrate why he should be the chief samurai. The Jewish Samurai opened a matchbox, and out flew a gnat. His flashing sword went Whoosh! But the gnat was still alive and flying around.

The emperor, obviously disappointed, said, "Very ambitious, but why is that gnat not dead?"
The Jewish Samurai just smiled and said, "Circumcision is not meant to kill."

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

In America, it was the default practice for some time. Even though the majority of people do it for non-religious reasons. 

It used to be over here as well, loads of kids a few years older than me had it done around about 11 years of age fortunately I escaped by a couple of years.:sweating:

Until the 1950s, British men were routinely circumcised for health and hygiene (balanitis, easily cured and prevented with basic hygiene, occurs in around one in 20 infants, and is more common in uncircumcised boys). Circumcision is still legal with parental consent in the UK but barely 5% are circumcised now for medical reasons, although some religious circumcisions may be unrecorded if undertaken outside mainstream medicine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/aug/28/circumcision-the-cruellest-cut

There isn't any ethical difference between female genital mutilation and male genital mutilation.

Both range in degrees of severity. The mildest form of FGM involves pricking the clitoris with a pin and that's it. Less severe than your standard MGM.

If one is allowed under the guise of religion, then the other one should also be allowed. Or, you know, ban both.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, the fox said:

Some people making it sound like kids are getting their fingers chopped. it's just a small piece of forskin. it's good for hygiene.and yeah, there is no such thing as "female circumcision". that is a cultural thing and it has nothing to do with religion

Neither have anything to do with religion, they are both child abuse.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no clean water etc, hygiene is not a relevant excuse to abuse a child

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sm1 said:

In ultra orthodox Jewish circumcisions,  the rabbi actually puts the babies penis in his mouth to clean any blood. I read a few years ago that several babies got herpes from the rabbi because of it. 

Yup. And in a handful of cases the herpes virus then travelled to the baby's brain and caused death from herpes encephalitis. Though that's nothing compared to the thousands of babies who die each year from bleeding and infection after the procedure.