Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Cheltenham Away Match Thread

17 minutes ago, murphy said:

True, but what was the point of playing him in the B team?

If he had played in the second half he might have been more involved and maybe got on the scoresheet which might have helped him. 

Well the pre-season matches are not for Nachos sake only. Fine if we can get him going (which I very much doubt) but he has had plenty of chances to kick-in and establish himself as a first team regular - he just doesn´t look as he gives a f... So enough time used on Nacho. Get rid or lend him out - to me he is a massive liability.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've been watching City for something like fifty years now and I've seen hundreds of players come and go, but there's been a bare handful as reliable as Mark Albrighton. He always gives his best, even when he's not at his best, never moans when he's dropped, just knuckles down and works hard to get back into the side. When we look back on the 2016 legends, it will be Vardy, Mahrez and Kanté who will first come to mind, but MA is every bit the legend that they are. He is a consummate professional.

It was Albrighton’s injury that paved the way for Barnes, but now that MA is back fit, would we say he’s still ahead of Barnes for the LW position? Obviously Barnes needs game time to improve, but MA is not old enough to start being phased out, and I think Albrighton is still the better player currently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

Think we can tick him off as an automatic replacement for Maguire when he leaves (inevitable and imminent imo).... 

Benko perhaps not ready for the step up either?.. 

Can now see why Dunk is being rumoured as Harry's replacement. 

I really couldn't base this on one performance. 

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Well the pre-season matches are not for Nachos sake only. Fine if we can get him going (which I very much doubt) but he has had plenty of chances to kick-in and establish himself as a first team regular - he just doesn´t look as he gives a f... So enough time used on Nacho. Get rid or lend him out - to me he is a massive liability.

I take your point and Nacho might well be a lost cause, but he is a problem.  He cost the club £25m plus big wages.  We need to do something about it, to try and get him looking something like a footballer if only to get a fee for him.  A few pre season goals against lower league clubs might go some way to help so play him in the first team.

It seems apparent that the club cannot afford to write him off and no one will take him off our hands.  We need to get a tune out of him somehow.  Personally, I'd give Ken Wey a call and failing that maybe Ant Middleton.

Edited by murphy

4 minutes ago, weller54 said:

He's looked dodgy in previous games though.. Not just today!.. 

One thing that is blatantly obvious is that he's not ready to fill Harry Maguire's boots. 

Maguire was prone to quite a few errors earlier on in the season however he seemed to cut that out of his weekly performance towards the end, let's hope Sonuycu learns he's still extremely young as well he will come good I'm sure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Maguire was prone to quite a few errors earlier on in the season however he seemed to cut that out of his weekly performance towards the end, let's hope Sonuycu learns he's still extremely young as well he will come good I'm sure.

Well I'm not sure. 

I remember the Mercury drawing attention to his first few u/23 games last season and, frankly, his performances were disastrous.

He's looked a complete liability from day 1. Too small, too weak, a yard off the defensive line, gives ball away in dangerous areas and lunges in/shirt tugs when struggling. He's absolutely everything I don't want in.a.defender.

I would have Amartey playing as an emergency centre back over this poor lad every day. 

I feel sorry for him but he's a total liability.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

I've been watching City for something like fifty years now and I've seen hundreds of players come and go, but there's been a bare handful as reliable as Mark Albrighton. He always gives his best, even when he's not at his best, never moans when he's dropped, just knuckles down and works hard to get back into the side. When we look back on the 2016 legends, it will be Vardy, Mahrez and Kanté who will first come to mind, but MA is every bit the legend that they are. He is a consummate professional.

spot on!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Well I'm not sure. 

I remember the Mercury drawing attention to his first few u/23 games last season and, frankly, his performances were disastrous.

He's looked a complete liability from day 1. Too small, too weak, a yard off the defensive line, gives ball away in dangerous areas and lunges in/shirt tugs when struggling. He's absolutely everything I don't want in.a.defender.

I would have Amartey playing as an emergency centre back over this poor lad every day. 

And yet got in the Bundesliga team of the season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Well I'm not sure. 

You could be right but he only signed last season has just turned 23, maybe with the right coaching he will improve he doesn't look weak to me seems to have bulked up a bit... lets not forget he is in a new country and some players take longer to adapt than others.

Maguire isn't exactly perfect and he has a lot more experience than Sounyncu, I think there is still hope yet.

edit: he's actually taller than Wes that didn't stop him from becoming a great defender did it?

Edited by whoareyaaa

As I said the other week about Soyuncu when so many classed him as "ready", where is the evidence to back this claim up.

The guy played six Premier League games last season, he was very hit and miss.

Against Scunthorpe most aspects of his game looked solid but when bringing the ball out defence he was poor, he almost cost us a goal after losing the ball on the half way line. Today against Cheltenham he got bullied far too often by a League 2 player.

We signed him for the future and he needs to develop slowly, you can't throw him in as a regular starter because atm he clearly doesn't look good enough.

I believe his time will come but at this moment in time he should be 3rd/4th choice, even a loan spell out somewhere may suit him.

18 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

You could be right but he only signed last season has just turned 23, maybe with the right coaching he will improve he doesn't look weak to me seems to have bulked up a bit... lets not forget he is in a new country and some players take longer to adapt than others.

Maguire isn't exactly perfect and he has a lot more experience than Sounyncu, I think there is still hope yet.

edit: he's actually taller than Wes that didn't stop him from becoming a great defender did it?

Wes had Huth next to him.. Which helped him a tad? 

Remember when we lost to Northampton in our last pre-season game before the 2014 championship season and some people suggested we would be in a relegation scrap. Oh, how right they were.

It’s the second game of this one and we are using a mix matched team. Some need to get a grip man. 

Pre-season is like a boxers training camp, you don’t want to peak too early. In fact, it’s a gradual process which only shows its full rewards 4/5 games into a season. No one can judge a player or a squad in round 2, away to Cheltenham with a bag of players, some of whom will not play the entire season. 

I’d be more concerned if we were having less possession, conceding lots of chances but we aren’t. We are actually keeping the ball very well and not just knocking it about for the sake of it! Add in they’ve been hammered with double sessions this week a game Tuesday and another today I was pretty pleased. Yes lots to improve on but plenty of stuff going well, second half team looked like they all new their roles. First half team did okay and you could tell there was lots of youngsters in there trying to impress/overly keen and therefore the quality wasnt quite there.

Roll on Tuesday where hopefully kasper chilwell and the u21 lads are giving some minutes along with some getting a good hour in! Next Saturday the majority of first team squad can get a 90 minutes in under their belt and then dress rehearsal for wolves against Atalanta! 

Cant wait for the season now! 

Edited by Lesta2014
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Soyuncu...50 Bundesliga games, 20 international caps. Clearly highly rated as we decided to spend £20m on him...bit rusty in a pre season game and people have decided he's not good enough. :dunno:

Spot on. Give him his chance. There’s a hell of a lot of promise there. We should be able to coach that raw potential into a great defender 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kingfox said:

As I said the other week about Soyuncu when so many classed him as "ready", where is the evidence to back this claim up.

The guy played six Premier League games last season, he was very hit and miss.

Against Scunthorpe most aspects of his game looked solid but when bringing the ball out defence he was poor, he almost cost us a goal after losing the ball on the half way line. Today against Cheltenham he got bullied far too often by a League 2 player.

We signed him for the future and he needs to develop slowly, you can't throw him in as a regular starter because atm he clearly doesn't look good enough.

I believe his time will come but at this moment in time he should be 3rd/4th choice, even a loan spell out somewhere may suit him.

I'm not so sure a loan spell will do a lot unless we can get him a PL club. The lad was in the Bundesliga team of the year and was extremely highly rated so yes loaning him to keep playing first team football is one thing, or we try and invest enough training and coaching in to him being ready for us?