Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cambridge - Match Thread - 23/07/19 (Friendly)

3 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

Another fashion feck up from the bloke sitting next to me  , just why ??

And he must have had the biggest balls because he obviously couldnt shut his legs , meaning his leg was half way into my leg room most of the match ?

Screenshot_20190724-103038_Gallery.jpg

Blokes shaved his leg as well.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

How sad and embarrassing that the kids are made to believe this is O.K. behaviour, what are their parents thinking of........pathetic, humiliating and very, very, embarrassing .What will they grow up like?..............so so SAD!

I had a chuckle.

My youngest thought it was. Oooohh rarrrrr.  Wossiiyyahhhhh for his first gew years and never asked why.

Check your lip reading before kidging parents. Could be entirely innocent.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

tbf, that ggraphic looks very much like Puel's set up.

Except in Puel's 4-2-3-1 the two were both holding midfielders and incapable of making a telling forward pass, also under Puel our striker was always isolated in the box. The amount of times that attacks were slowed down and then a cross was floated in to just Vardy against 3-4 opposition, there was no instruction or desire to commit the wingers or attacking midfielders in to join him and attack the ball. So, although the diagram might look like Puel's the explanation of how it works under Rodgers is night and day from Claude.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Except in Puel's 4-2-3-1 the two were both holding midfielders and incapable of making a telling forward pass, also under Puel our striker was always isolated in the box. The amount of times that attacks were slowed down and then a cross was floated in to just Vardy against 3-4 opposition, there was no instruction or desire to commit the wingers or attacking midfielders in to join him and attack the ball. So, although the diagram might look like Puel's the explanation of how it works under Rodgers is night and day from Claude.

Rewatching the stream again it is telling that if we do use the same basic system as Puel, the application is totally different. You're right Ric, in that we press a lot more and are completely more dynamic in our midfield compared to the reactivateness of Ndidi and Mendy just sitting and holding and relying on Maddison to create. In both halves yesterday, Mendy, Tielemans and King were all over the pitch swapping positions and passing it slickly around to push Cambridge back or pull them out of position and much the same when Silva, Choudhury and Maddison came on. The switching of plays to the wings followed immediately by at least 1 or 2 of the midfielders to join in with the wingers and fullbacks to press the opposition at the back was sumptuous. 

Reminiscent of the Title winning season to hunt in packs, but not just for the quick counter but to pressure the opposition in their own half and capitalise on their mistakes. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree, we look much more dynamic under Rogers, but the Puel never had the benefit of playing Youri and we were stuck with Mendy and Wilf.  The fact that Puel bought Tielemans in showed me that he recognised that our sitting two were far too unadventurous.  It is worth noting that in Puel's system one of the two CMs is supposed to support the attack when we are in possession.

Rogers has played a few systems since he's been here and will probably mix it up throughout the season rather than settling on the dogged 4-2-3-1 that Puel never really deviated from.  I think it is no surprise that we look better and more fluent with a midfield three of Wilf, Maddison and Tielemans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Buce said:

It's interesting that it was posted by an American and repped by another.

Is there some connotation with the term over there that we're not aware of?

I'm sure you're aware it's a take on Macho Man by The Village People. Maybe they think people calling him Nacho man are suggesting he's gay, as if that's a dig or something?

3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm sure you're aware it's a take on Macho Man by The Village People. Maybe they think people calling him Nacho man are suggesting he's gay, as if that's a dig or something?

Maybe, but that's a stretch.  And anyway, don't most people think of the wrassler when they hear that term these days?

Watched the game last night as was busy Tuesday, thought we done well players are looking sharper and there's seems to be a good competition for places within the squad.

Don't think Gray deserves the stick thought he looked very sharp on the turn although very rusty which is to be expected, needs to pass more as well.

Glad Nacho got a goal, thought we looked pretty good overall.

Barnes should be starting every week he is going to be some player, Tielemans running the show in the first half what a player we have his link up play with Vardy and others is great to see.

Roll on the new season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Watched the game last night as was busy Tuesday, thought we done well players are looking sharper and there's seems to be a good competition for places within the squad.

Don't think Gray deserves the stick thought he looked very sharp on the turn although very rusty which is to be expected, needs to pass more as well.

Glad Nacho got a goal, thought we looked pretty good overall.

Barnes should be starting every week he is going to be some player, Tielemans running the show in the first half what a player we have his link up play with Vardy and others is great to see.

Roll on the new season.

... how longer do we need to keep saying this! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, knitro said:

Interesting - post game interview with Cambridge's GK who played really well - nice to hear 'they're just too good for us' 

https://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/news/2019/july/mitov-post-lcfc/

Singlehandedly kept them in the game. 

Cambridge actually put in a solid performance but we were just a different class and level. 

But the fact they held out solidly for nearly an hour against us, I reckon they'll do well in their league this year. 

2 hours ago, knitro said:

Interesting - post game interview with Cambridge's GK who played really well - nice to hear 'they're just too good for us' 

https://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/news/2019/july/mitov-post-lcfc/

Does anyone remember a defeated opposition manager in a post-match interview saying, "Thank fvch we don't have to play them again"? I'm pretty sure it was during the Championship title win season 2013/14.

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Does anyone remember a defeated opposition manager in a post-match interview saying, "Thank fvch we don't have to play them again"? I'm pretty sure it was during the Championship title win season 2013/14.

Mick McCarthy with Ipswich I think... 

11 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Maybe. I might be wrong, but I remember it being someone more obscure than him.

Was Warnock at Cardiff then?

Trying to think of managers who's vocabulary you would class as 'a bit salty' and would say something like that. 

On 24/07/2019 at 01:05, Buce said:

It's interesting that it was posted by an American and repped by another.

Is there some connotation with the term over there that we're not aware of?

Nachos are an ultra-cheap Mexican dish that you whip up in the microwave if you don't have time for real food. Is it something different there? Now that I think about it, "Ribeye Man" or "Tiramisu Man" would come across as more affectionate.

8 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

Was Warnock at Cardiff then?

Trying to think of managers who's vocabulary you would class as 'a bit salty' and would say something like that. 

Maybe. I remember it being someone more obscure than him, as well. You might be right. I'm pretty sure it was a club around the bottom of the table.