Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cambridge - Match Thread - 23/07/19 (Friendly)

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

It's interesting that it was posted by an American and repped by another.

Is there some connotation with the term over there that we're not aware of?

Probably best to play it safe. Kelly it is :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

No.  It's just a silly nickname and no more insulting than your average sports nickname.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Buce said:

I suppose one could say it's the difference between Chillies and Cheese,or the grand mixture of both...

Nachos a great quick snack either with

Cheese dips or various Chilli sauces...

I have never seen it with damp-squid..:rolleyes:

Edited by fuchsntf

The criticism Gray was getting on here last night was a disgrace.

Granted he was a little frustrating at times but so were many others in that first half including Albrighton who seems to ‘get away with it’ more.

Not to mention it was his first game back so may be a little rusty.

For the record, he frustrates me too as he has the ability to do so much more but still no need for the constant bashing he got.

We’ll see this season if Rodgers can bring that potential out.

Very positive display all round and so much potential in this team. Nice to see Silva back playing, clearly a good player that could be like a new signing again and also delighted for Nacho, he deserved that goal.

Looking forward to seeing Maddison, Tielemans, Vardy and Perez all in the same team, lots of creativity and flair

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Sorry mate but as far as I'm aware, nobody's calling him out on anything personal, insulting his family, attacking him, encouraging violence against him. They're just saying he's not good enough for our team. 

It's not disgraceful, it's honest. 

The treatment of Iheanacho last year was disgraceful, we could all watch his confidence shrink and die as he's repeatedly booed and jeered by his own support. That's disgraceful. Going on a message board to say you think Demarai Gray is a bit too shit for this team is just giving a pretty fair opinion. 

This isn't some kid with no prior experience who needs a chance, he's now one of the longest serving members of the first team squad ffs and he hasn't developed at all since he got here. 

I agree noneone layed into him last match. But he has developed defensively somewhat and his attitude did get a little better and he does get more criticism than he deserves but that's not to say he doesn't deserve criticism - he's a bench filler we bought for next to nothing but there's often some real anger on here. At least with Slim and Ian fans can feel let down with the fee and expectation, but a kid from Brum we bought with small change? I doubt he'll make it here and he is frustrating but I find all the disproportionate anger he invokes bemusing.

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

I agree noneone layed into him last match. But he has developed defensively somewhat and his attitude did get a little better and he does get more criticism than he deserves but that's not to say he doesn't deserve criticism - he's a bench filler we bought for next to nothing but there's often some real anger on here. At least with Slim and Ian fans can feel let down with the fee and expectation, but a kid from Brum we bought with small change? I doubt he'll make it here and he is frustrating but I find all the disproportionate anger he invokes bemusing.

The anger and frustration is that we sold probably the most technically gifted footballer in the history of this club and were left with Gray as our best right winger. 

I don't think cost matters. 

Vardy and Mahrez cost combined about 1.7m or something. It's not about money it's just about the fact we're so tragically short in that area of the pitch.

Plus, Gray is probably the most frustrating player I've ever actually seen play football. 

11 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Own up, who is responsible for this atrocity 

2557E852-327A-4BC5-BA87-B096CECC10CC.jpeg

Another fashion feck up from the bloke sitting next to me  , just why ??

And he must have had the biggest balls because he obviously couldnt shut his legs , meaning his leg was half way into my leg room most of the match ?

Screenshot_20190724-103038_Gallery.jpg

Going by the highlights, we had more chances in the first half, couldn't convert, Cambridge held up well, then it all came down to inferior stamina and prep in the second half, and Cambridge crumbled. Only managed to keep the score down to their goalkeeper being on fire.

Thought that Barnes was quite unlucky at times, so many efforts on goal, none to go in.

I don't want to criticize our wingers too much, and I don't want to be overly harsh or superficial here - but is it just me or are our wingers just not effective enough as of right now?

For months, we've been laying into Gray for not progressing, and Barnes right now gives me a similar impression.

They all work hard and they're both still rather young, don't get me wrong, but the end product is still seriously lacking.

I could point to Ghezzal as another, albeit more experienced culprit.

If we want to be more threatening and harder to read, then Vardy needs some additional support from either side that can either chip in with assists... or goals.

Very happy for Iheanacho, maybe this season is where he can prove his worth.

And great to see us keeping up a 100% pre-season record, great for team morale. Toughest task is not letting players get carried away, but that seems to be the least of our problems, as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fox_in_a_Box said:

Any one else think his thumbs up to the city supports was his goodbye? 

Anyone else think the way Rodgers, after the final whistle made a beeline to charli and, with a point of the finger, a big smile and a vigorous head rub think that we have a good option to replace Mcguire should that day come? 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Sorry mate but as far as I'm aware, nobody's calling him out on anything personal, insulting his family, attacking him, encouraging violence against him. They're just saying he's not good enough for our team. 

The treatment of Iheanacho last year was disgraceful, we could all watch his confidence shrink and die as he's repeatedly booed and jeered by his own support. That's disgraceful. Going on a message board to say you think Demarai Gray is a bit too shit for this team is just giving a pretty fair opinion. 

This isn't some kid with no prior experience who needs a chance, he's now one of the longest serving members of the first team squad ffs and he hasn't developed at all since he got here. 

Wasn't great to see though. He was getting slated for everything he did, where as Albrighton got nothing and he was no better than Gray. That's more my point.

I felt some of the comments were a tad harsh and clearly he was the scapegoat first half.

He defo gets worse treatment from our fans

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

The anger and frustration is that we sold probably the most technically gifted footballer in the history of this club and were left with Gray as our best right winger. 

I don't think cost matters. 

Vardy and Mahrez cost combined about 1.7m or something. It's not about money it's just about the fact we're so tragically short in that area of the pitch.

Plus, Gray is probably the most frustrating player I've ever actually seen play football. 

We the club replaced an amazing player with a frustrating youngster. Yet most are angry at the player not the club?

...Demarai is like Brexit,you want it to go away, to be over and done with!!

Some want to have it, like article 50 revoked as believing that keeping the status quo allows us somewhere down the line, with a player, who will come good.

Just by watching his performance yesterday, his decision making and lack of team ethics is astounding.It is not that he lacks  the experience or awareness or the skill set to become a part of the first eleven. He seems to be plagued with the notion that, he has, in some way, need to have moments of world class goal scoring, in order to bring him to the attention of the manager or perhaps to the world. There were incidents where a lay off was on and was the appropriate thing to do but he chose to shoot which was more akin to a pass back to their keeper.

The biggest surprise is that someone did not go up to him,grab him by the scruff of his neck and tell him to "..PASS THE (insert expletive) BALL".I Have said before that he has been indulged and someone at sometime must have had a word with him in this respect.He obviously have not or will not take it on board, it really is not a lack of awareness, he knows the options are there, he just chooses to ignore them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Just watched the highlights on the website, absolute scuffer

Cheers. Just watched them. I loved that even though Barnes was unlucky he still managed to assist. Vardy Barnes Maddison Tielemans Perez are looking like they could break the top six especially if Perez beats expectations and Barnes hits his stride. I love that Hamza got in on the attacking action. I'm not sure he'll be the destroyer Ndidi is but he could become a better all round player.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Cheers. Just watched them. I loved that even though Barnes was unlucky he still managed to assist. Vardy Barnes Maddison Tielemans Perez are looking like they could break the top six especially if Perez beats expectations and Barnes hits his stride. I love that Hamza got in on the attacking action. I'm not sure he'll be the destroyer Ndidi is but he could become a better all round player.

He's just so quick into a challenge. Think he'll pick up a fair few bookings but he'll also retrieve the ball in key areas 

1 hour ago, broughtonblue said:

And he must have had the biggest balls because he obviously couldnt shut his legs , meaning his leg was half way into my leg room most of the match ?

The guy in the first picture has on white trainers?

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Finners hates flair players and wants a team of Albrightons

2 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

He at least he found himself some nice low cut, flesh coloured socks!

15 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That scoreline flattered them! Really impressive build up play, and the only downsides were the knock to Evans and not being clinical enough in front of goal.

I also find it interesting that we seemed to have altered our style slightly to a very similar system to the one Rodgers used at Swansea:

image.png.e821e42cbb988bbceaec5ed2882d18f4.png

Leon Britton played a really important role in that team as the Jorginho / Fernandinho style player. In the first half it was Mendy and the second it was Silva, and if you notice so much of the ball goes through that player it's quite noticeable. Will Ndidi play that way too? Passing is the biggest weakness of his game.

Tielemans is our equivalent of Joe Allen, but obviously he's 10x the player. He literally runs the game, and after Mendy got the ball, it was into Tielemans who just completely ran the show. How on earth did we get him!? Don't know and don't care, the guy is going to be world class. What was also interesting is that Hamza played much furhter up than he did last season. He did effectively play as a number 8 replacement and though he does not have the passing, vision or creativity that Youri has, he does have the lungs of a Tour de France rider! And being able to get up and down and press incessantly has huge benefits for our team as proven with his superb goal at the end.

Finally just like Sinclair in the diagram above, our 11 Albrighton makes so many runs into the box to support our striker. He could and should have got on the scoresheet again really.

Anyway overall I just want to say wow! Brendan Rodgers is a great coach, you can clearly see the system football we are playing, and what impresses me is that even when we make changes, the new players come in but the system stays the same. Maybe defensively we looked worse when the subs were all made, but we scored more goals, and each player was doing more or less the same thing the player they replaced did. JJ looked really sharp, Barnes should have scored about 5 and Kelechi pressed very well from the front. Under Puel not only was the football dull, but you often wondered if the players even knew how they were supposed to play. Not under Rodgers, it's all quite clear, it's working and the performances and results are improving with every game.

I literally cannot wait for this season to start!!!

tbf, that ggraphic looks very much like Puel's set up.

• Thanks 1