Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cambridge - Match Thread - 23/07/19 (Friendly)

8 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

How do you know he hasn't got the ability? Players take time to adapt to new leagues and it's not like he got a massive amount of chances and the ones he did he never really got a run on games. It's great to see a player put in the effort in pre season and give a Manger a headache when it comes to picking a team. But yeah I get it it's cool not to like him so probably best you don't. 

Ghezzal has ability, but he doesn't have anything in his armoury that will scare premier league defenders. He's like a solid 6.5 in all key disciplines, pace, passing, dribbling, trickery, work rate, shooting, tracking back, pressing, etc he is a jack of all trades but he has nothing that will scare a Burnley or Brighton defence that are looking not to concede or a Wolves or Watford defence that are looking to play on the counter without leaving themselves exposed. Gray for all his faults has the pace to unsettle defenders, Albrighton is arguably not as skilful as Ghezzal but his incredible work rate and desire will always give him an edge. Ghezzal would be first out the door for me he will just never make an impact at the elite level of the PL. Similar in some ways to Knockeart. He will always look good against lower league opponents because he is a good footballer, but I have seen nothing in him that makes me think he'll be a premier league footballer 

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Ghezzal has ability, but he doesn't have anything in his armoury that will scare premier league defenders. He's like a solid 6.5 in all key disciplines, pace, passing, dribbling, trickery, work rate, shooting, tracking back, pressing, etc he is a jack of all trades but he has nothing that will scare a Burnley or Brighton defence that are looking not to concede or a Wolves or Watford defence that are looking to play on the counter without leaving themselves exposed. Gray for all his faults has the pace to unsettle defenders, Albrighton is arguably not as skilful as Ghezzal but his incredible work rate and desire will always give him an edge. Ghezzal would be first out the door for me he will just never make an impact at the elite level of the PL. Similar in some ways to Knockeart. He will always look good against lower league opponents because he is a good footballer, but I have seen nothing in him that makes me think he'll be a premier league footballer 

The long version of my comment which states that he is not good enough for the premier league. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I don't know. The poster is probably basing their opinion more on the dozen or so games Silva had played against EPL opposition than on this single friendly against Cambridge. In those games he's looked slight and a little off-pace. Plus the previous manager didn't fancy him, the current manager appears willing to off-load him and keen to look for alternatives, and on top of that the guy is over 30, and unlikely to improve a great deal.

Of course there's a chance out there that Silva will go on to play a decent role for Leicester, or at very least that he could, potentially, fulfil a purpose for us. But I totally understand why someone would have their doubts.

On about Ghezzel mate not Silva... 

13 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I don't know. The poster is probably basing their opinion more on the dozen or so games Silva had played against EPL opposition than on this single friendly against Cambridge. In those games he's looked slight and a little off-pace. Plus the previous manager didn't fancy him, the current manager appears willing to off-load him and keen to look for alternatives, and on top of that the guy is over 30, and unlikely to improve a great deal.

Of course there's a chance out there that Silva will go on to play a decent role for Leicester, or at very least that he could, potentially, fulfil a purpose for us. But I totally understand why someone would have their doubts.

The reference is to Ghezzal not Silva

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Can someone give me a run down of what the game was like?  

Both halves very comfortable, the changes after half-time didn't affect the flow of the game. Probably should've had double the amount of goals, their keeper played very well. All three goals well-taken and set-up, the team was sharp and potentially the likes of Silva might be looking at a future here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Can someone give me a run down of what the game was like?  

We absolutely battered them

Their keeper won’t have a better game this season 

3 nice goals & a clean sheet 

• Thanks 1

We finally have a great coach who can really make players better and who also has an offensive game idea.

In the coming season we will have a lot of fun with this squad and with Brendan Rodgers.

I'm really looking forward to the new Premier League season...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

On about Ghezzel mate not Silva... 

Oh okay! I think you could pretty much cut and paste the same message, couldn't you?

I doubt the poster was basing his opinion (of Ghezzal) on one friendly game against Cambridge, but rather on the 19 appearances he's made against EPL opposition in competitive games. He's looked off the pace, slight, one-footed and wasteful in those matches. The last manager didn't consider him a first team regular, even though he signed him, and Rodgers hasn't so far either. 

Yes, at 27 he's got time to improve, and I would love him to end up having a good impact at City, but - like I said with Silva - I wouldn't hold my breath. And I get why his critics wouldn't be swayed by a 45 minute outing tonight.

• Like 1