Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bluefox76

When did Man city become just City

Do we feel so hard done by that this is an issue?

They became City for the same reason United became United and Real became Real: they became the most talked about teams on the planet.

It's bizarre we spend our time whining about it.

• Like 1

Oh good - this thread again.

I'll summarise the highlights from each of the last ten or so threads on this topic.

Most people don't mind when broadcasters refer to City or United to mean Mancehster City or United, when they play each other.

Most people don't mind when broadcasters refer to City or United when they are playing a team which isn't another City or United.

Most people are wound up when, for example, Manchester City play Leicester City, and they refer to Manchester City as City.

Some people are wound up when broadcasters refer to Manchester City as City when they are not playing and just in general conversation.

It's a word. Most people in a city who's team is known as City will call them City amongst themselves. If you are that wound up by what the media call a football team, then I would recommend trying to relax a little and enjoy your life.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bluefox76 said:

I know this has been mentioned before,but why do the press,pundits etc insist on calling Man City, City. Total disrespect of Salford City,Bristol City and any other City that plays football including ourselves. A small annoyance but it's really starting to grind my gears.

I really dont know why this upsets people. But probably like we are also called the Foxes how long and why ? Then go and check man c nickname.

I never, well hardly ever refer to Leicester City as City when writing or in conversation it’s either LCFC when writing or Leicester, my team, when talking.

I only finding it mildly irritating when radio commentators refer to City for opposition teams, yes even Coventry when they’re playing LCFC mainly because it’s harder to tell who they are referring to.

• Like 1

In the media everyone calls us Leicester and not Leicester city which obviously cannot be repeated with man city. 

And they come from a city, where there are two big clubs with Manchester in their name so calling them city and United clearly distinguishes who is being talked about.

12 hours ago, Goober said:

Can't believe this actually bothers/offends people

Yeh me neither. I've found myself calling Man City "city" on here several times and got shot down for it. Really don't know why people care. I live in Bolton and everyone round here calls them Wanderers. I bet wolves fans are livid! 

By referring to Manchester City as just city implies their is no bigger club than them with City in the name or that every other club with City in their name are irrelevant. Same with Manchester United by calling them just united makes them bigger than any other club that's called united, which they obviously are and now their saying Man City are bigger than any other club called City. it's to make these clubs feel as big as possible and to make other teams feel extremely small in comparison.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:33, FoxinNotts said:

When they started to win everything. Earned the right.

'Earned the right' :blink: wtf ??

It suits the media and hangers on to call the red Manchester club "United" because it removes the reference to where the club represent. Most Man Utd fans don't come from Manchester, or have no associations with or have even been to Manchester, so it might as well be 'World' Utd as anything else.

The Manchester clubs, of either colour, have not trademarked 'City' and 'Utd' and do not own them. Just as easy to say Man City as it is to say Newcastle, for example. Sheer laziness and an attempt at superiority. Don't play the game.

If I was to say 'c'mon City' would you know who I was talking about ??

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

'Earned the right' :blink: wtf ??

It suits the media and hangers on to call the red Manchester club "United" because it removes the reference to where the club represent. Most Man Utd fans don't come from Manchester, or have no associations with or have even been to Manchester, so it might as well be 'World' Utd as anything else.

The Manchester clubs, of either colour, have not trademarked 'City' and 'Utd' and do not own them. Just as easy to say Man City as it is to say Newcastle, for example. Sheer laziness and an attempt at superiority. Don't play the game.

If I was to say 'c'mon City' would you know who I was talking about ??

Depends which game you were watching I guess?