Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Uncle Monty

Maguire gone (official).

Maguire saw a once in a lifetime opportunity, to join one of the biggest commercial clubs in the world. However, the pressure that goes with performing at an under performing institution isn't something he factored in. Expectation at the Theatre of Dreams means that when things aren't going well, you can very quickly be scrutinised and every mistake you make is over emphasised. Maguire is now in the spotlight and because of the expectations he is becoming a bit of a scapegoat. Should have stayed at Leicester and built on what he had achieved.

Edited by MGLCFC
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Maguire saw a once in a lifetime opportunity, to join one of the biggest commercial clubs in the world. However, the pressure that goes with performing at an under performing institution isn't something he factored in. Expectation at the Theatre of Dreams means that when things aren't going well, you can very quickly be scrutinised and every mistake you make is over emphasised. Maguire is now in the spotlight and because of the expectations he is becoming a bit of a scapegoat. Should have stayed at Leicester and built on what he had achieved.

other than rashford and AWB who really performs on a regular basis under ole? maguire will improve when a capable manager comes in

Let's not be silly here.

Mahrez is hands down the greatest winger we've ever had.

Maguire is only the 5th best centre-back we've had in just the past 5 years behind Morgan, Huth, Evans and Soyunchu.

There's no comparison as to why Maguire gets more stick is there? One is an all-time club great and the other was a decent player for us for a year or two. It's natural and sensible that Mahrez gets a hell of a lot more leeway from fans, he earnt it.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/01/2020 at 17:20, Col city fan said:

I did tell ya Harry would become Utd captain..

He’ll be England skipper at some point too

He’s very well thought off in terms of his leadership credentials 

Yeah he just got ambition mixed up with ability that's all.:thumbup:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

If Maguire had stayed I don't think we'd be much worse off- Rodgers' coaching clearly improves players so he could've become a better player for us. However, I didn't think we'd suffer too much as Soyuncu was bought to take his place eventually or we'd have gone into the market.

Soyuncu just seems far more suited to how we want to play.

• Like 1

The thing with the Maguire move is that, whilst United are a massive club, there was an expectation that we could be as good as/better than them this season from a lot of us. He was sold to a direct rival in terms of our ambitions (the less said about him acting like some weird competition winner on social media afterwards, the better).

Mahrez could have been a Leicester legend but turned out to be a total **** with very little love for the club and lost all respect most of us had for him during the whole saga. However, I can see why he wanted the move- Man City were on a different level to us at the time. 

Guest An Sionnach
10 hours ago, Sampson said:

Mahrez is hands down the greatest winger we've ever had.

We have had this debate before and many would dispute this to the grave . Mahrez is certainly not the greatest winger Man. City have had Summerbee would have pissed all over him. Next time he turns up against us Hamza will have him.

Edited by An Sionnach

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

We have had this debate before and many would dispute this to the grave . Mahrez is certainly not the greatest winger Man. City have had Summerbee would have pissed all over him. Next time he turns up against us Hamza will have him.

What does his standing at ManCity have to do with anything? Weird reply.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
10 minutes ago, Sampson said:

What does his standing at ManCity have to do with anything? Weird reply.

This Mahrez cult pisses me off as if he won the title for us off his own back. I always thought he was a showboater even then and nothing since has changed my mind . I may be old fashioned but his overall attitude always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Surely one of the reasons Maguire is still getting abuse/chanted about is because United are doing so badly? 

A lot of the disappointment with him making the move was because it was to a club clearly not going in the right direction with a bottom half championship level manager (at best) ‘building a team for trophies’ according to maguire. 

Its almost at taking the piss levels now, if we are as far ahead of them on the final day I’m sure he’ll almost get jeered as much as booed. 

Comparing him to Mahrez is also a disgrace, some of his actions may not put him at legend level but he is one of the most iconic figures the club has ever had 

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

This Mahrez cult pisses me off as if he won the title for us off his own back. I always thought he was a showboater even then and nothing since has changed my mind . I may be old fashioned but his overall attitude always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Who has said he won the title off his own back? I've never seen anyone say that. I think you're weirdly projecting here.

Liking a player who scored and created countless goals which no other player who played for us ever would be able to - and during our most successful period is a "cult"?

Every ManCity fan I've seen says has been sensational for them this season and plenty say he should be their POTY or has the best first touch they've ever seen. It's not just a small number of our fans, he's currently one of the best players in one of the best 2 or 3 teams in the world right now. https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/riyad-mahrez-2019-20-performances.341381/page-130

No offense. But it's all a bit weird to want to attack our fans who thought Mahrez was pretty damned good. Let alone call them a "cult".

• Like 1

How did we get to comparing Maguire with Mahrez apart from the fact they both played for us and both left just like loads of other players what is the actual point of it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

For me Mahrez was the most exciting player we’ve had.  Vardy the best by a considerable margin. Slabhead, well. In the scheme of things somewhere In the top 20. Maybe!

The 85 mil the club got was the best bit of business we’ve ever done and probably ever will. 

£120m for Maguire and Drinkwater!..

Wow!

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
48 minutes ago, davieG said:

How did we get to comparing Maguire with Mahrez apart from the fact they both played for us and both left just like loads of other players what is the actual point of it?

I know , a little discussion about Harry gets polluted by Mahrez . As a man I like Harry , as a player he has his limitations but he is great in the air. Caglar,  though has the potential to be one of the greats and playing alongside Jonny he could not have a better teacher. We did very well out of the deal and Harry is going to have to tough it out in the media spotlight until Utd. get back on track.

5 hours ago, davieG said:

I think I kicked that off. I was just pondering and thinking through why and what qualifies different reactions to players. The answer, it seems, is largely subjective - sometimes based on one reason, sometimes many. Sometimes couldn't care less about the situation, sometimes care a lot. Sometimes just for the fun of it!  It seems the only point of near universal agreement would be in figures of unequivocal hatred (eg. Dennis Wise). 

I think I followed up with some of the reactions with a reasoned post. Basically for some fans - roughly speaking - Mahrez is a title winning legend, all is forgiven and nothing else matters. Maguire didn't achieve anything and left for a club of lower (currently) standing, that doesn't sit well apparently. 

For me, Mahrez is a title winning legend and that puts a lot of credit in the bank, he's still well in credit but It's not immutable. His mutterings of how he was wasting his career here aren't good to hear. Neither was his tantrum and upsetting team morale. 

Maguire didn't put a lot of credit in the bank from a Leicester legend perspective, but he did help literally put it in the bank. Went for a massive fee which was assisted by his (if you believe the reports) professional attitude and willingness to stay if not met. Basically the exact opposite of Mahrez who's asking fee ended up getting reduced. 

The only reasoned argument I saw for the Harry boo boys was something along the lines of "because it's fun to give him stick and wind them up" - I'd agree with that! 

All I'm saying is there doesn't seem to be a lot of rational thinking going on. Again, I'm glad there isn't or it'd be too boring and our fans would be too quiet :ph34r:

It's a game of emotions. Clearly that spills into the debate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never really warmed to Maguire. Mahrez is the most gifted player I have ever seen in a Leicester shirt and one of my favourite ever players. Understood both’s decision to leave but only miss one of them.

Ultimately there is no way I could ever hate any of of the title winning squad. I was very low at the time and it really helped

me get through that.

Edited by mancunianfox
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Odds on he'll score the winner tbh 

Wouldn’t be surprised, probably win a penalty after fernandiver falls over on the half way line and Harry steps up, just to take the pi55, hits the bar but VAR call it a goal.