Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Uncle Monty

Maguire gone (official).

11 minutes ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

Mahrez - Wanted move and (allegedly) threw toys out the pram, kicked up a fuss, had a tantrum, disturbed team morale, waited in airports for a move. 

Result? Took until he published the article of "wasting 2 years" for fans to really get the arse with him and that's not likely to be sustained. 

Maguire - Wanted move and (allegedly) conducted himself professionally, was ready to stay if a deal wasn't reached, didn't throw tantrums or knock doors down, accepted the situation that a value had to be met. 

Result? Fan base takes the piss, mocks him, boos him, talks about how he wasn't needed, thrive on signs of mistakes etc, third best defender etc. 

It will still be a great deal if it all turns out well for him. Don't know why we can't just be happy with that and move on. 

Football fan logic, I wouldn't change it. 

Mahrez went to Man City, a clear upgrade. Maguire went to the Manchester ****ing United. That is the difference. How each respective player behaves is irrelevant.

Mahrez is Algerian so behaves how he feels, Maguire is British so you never really know what he is feeling, it's all an act. People don't care about that. Maguire can just fake his feelings better than Mahrez (as most of us Brits are very good at, you can't deny it).

Edited by z-layrex
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

Mahrez - Wanted move and (allegedly) threw toys out the pram, kicked up a fuss, had a tantrum, disturbed team morale, waited in airports for a move. 

Result? Took until he published the article of "wasting 2 years" for fans to really get the arse with him and that's not likely to be sustained. 

Maguire - Wanted move and (allegedly) conducted himself professionally, was ready to stay if a deal wasn't reached, didn't throw tantrums or knock doors down, accepted the situation that a value had to be met. 

Result? Fan base takes the piss, mocks him, boos him, talks about how he wasn't needed, thrive on signs of mistakes etc, third best defender etc. 

It will still be a great deal if it all turns out well for him. Don't know why we can't just be happy with that and move on. 

Mahrez is a Leicester legend

Harry isn't

Edited by MrsJohnMurphy
  • Like 3

Really need to cover all bases on here don't we? Okay... 

38 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Mahrez went to Man City, a clear upgrade. Maguire went to the Manchester ****ing United. That is the difference. How each respective player behaves is irrelevant.

Mahrez is Algerian so behaves how he feels, Maguire is British so you never really know what he is feeling, it's all an act. People don't care about that. Maguire can just fake his feelings better than Mahrez (as most of us Brits are very good at, you can't deny it).

First two sentences set up a fair argument. Not sure what you're trying to express after that, but (ignoring the weird nationality profiling for a sec) I think it's something like 'people don't care about the off-field stuff, club status is what counts and they better be leaving for a club clearly better off than us'. 

?

I think it's a mix of factors. People do care, some at least. I care about players upsetting the morale behind the scenes, at the same time I value the things players do for the club and the legacy they leave. 

Basically I have no issue with either of them, the wider fan base just seems to be overreacting. Glad they do to be honest otherwise we'd be far too level headed, quiet and boring. 

32 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Mahrez is a Leicester legend

Harry isn't

Yeah but I rarely just boil my judgements down to one factor. To be clear though, as I've said above, no issue with either of them. Mahrez trump card for me not to have Ill feeling is the legacy. Maguire's is *supposedly not being a pain behind the scenes and leaving us with a nice wad of well over the odds cash. Mahrez went on the cheap. 

32 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Mahrez was a Leicester title winner and hero. Maguire had two moderate seasons with us. Good player but soon to be forgotten I expect. 

Essentially the same point responded to above. 

Edited by TheCryptoPoet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

Really need to cover all bases on here don't we? Okay... 

First two sentences set up a fair argument. Not sure what you're trying to express after that, but (ignoring the weird nationality profiling for a sec) I think it's something like 'people don't care about the off-field stuff, club status is what counts and they better be leaving for a club clearly better off than us'. 

?

I think it's a mix of factors. People do care, some at least. I care about players upsetting the morale behind the scenes, at the same time I value the things players do for the club and the legacy they leave. 

Basically I have no issue with either of them, the wider fan base just seems to be overreacting. Glad they do to be honest otherwise we'd be far too level headed, quiet and boring. 

Yeah but I rarely just boil my judgements down to one factor. To be clear though, as I've said above, no issue with either of them. Mahrez trump card for me not to have Ill feeling is the legacy. Maguire's is *supposedly not being a pain behind the scenes and leaving us with a nice wad of well over the odds cash. Mahrez went on the cheap. 

Essentially the same point responded to above. 

I don't mean to profile by nationality, my point was that as Brits we are used to behaving a certain way that may not always be in line with how we truly feel, you cant deny that's our culture. Maguire behaved a certain way, Mahrez didn't, likely because of their nationalities. What matters to Leicester fans is that Mahrez is a ****ing Leicester legend, Maguire is not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

woah, woah, woah. 

a genuine majority of our fans absolutely despised mahrez when he still played for us ffs lol 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

Mahrez was one of the best players I have ever seen in over 50 years supporting Leicester. Maguire was bang average at best

• Like 1

Maguire acted like he’d joined Barcelona’s 2011 team not a Manchester United side in a semi-terminal slide. Had no real issue with him leaving (I was keen to take the £80m(!)) but he acted like he was a boyhood Manchester United fan arriving from Rochdale when he joined, not the most likely, sideways move at that time 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

Mahrez is a far better player than Maguire and actually helped us win something. That’s quite an important difference. Harry stuck around for just two seasons, won nothing and didn’t give BR the opportunity to demonstrate where he could take LCFC. 

Maguire got his head turned by Mufc after just 1 season and only was happy to stay because the move wasn’t sanctioned by their board for that season. Instead he played for us but with his head turned and he was undoubtedly one of our weaker players last season. Man United are desperate though, hence the price they paid for Maguire (and the wage they offered him.)

Mahrez left for a big wage to join a winning team and coach. Maguire left for a big wage to join a struggling team considering the money spent, with an unproven manager, a toxic environment and a team totally reliant on Rashford. 

Well at least Maguire has stopped his anal Tweeting about the mighty Manure.  We are a better Team without him and got nicely wedged. Just hope Maddison realizes the grass is not always greener.   Danny Benchwarmer is yet another classic example of this.  Leicester is great Club.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

The difference is simple.

Mahrez might be a cockwomble off the pitch, however he was potential the greatest player technically we’ve ever had and won us countless games with that ability. To a degree, he deserved the move.

Maguire was solid in his first season when we played a more compact, counter attacking style. As soon as we changed to a more open, passing style; we played higher up the pitch and he was exposed

more. Positional he was great, he’d got the agility and mobility of the titanic though. His runs into midfield often caused problems leaving gapping holes .......

I hold nothing against Mahrez. 

I like to goad Manchester United fans for spending £80,000,000 on a defender who in my opinion we haven’t missed and we would we in a worse position with this season.

Forgiving Mahrez his tantrums and for the disrespect he showed the club just because he is a good player makes me a bit sick in my mouth.  Where is your self respect?  Mahrez was a bell end, he tainted his legacy and I for one was glad to see the back of him.  Harry was sound and I wish him well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest An Sionnach

Smalling and Maguire would have made a decent pairing so why they never tried that I just have no idea. It will not harm Utd. to have a quiet season its just the media and their entitled fans that stir the shit. They need to get rid of Pogba somehow and then they will be clear of the ego trippers. They have some excellent young players and should be challenging again pretty soon if they don't panic.

8 hours ago, Stadt said:

Maguire acted like he’d joined Barcelona’s 2011 team not a Manchester United side in a semi-terminal slide. Had no real issue with him leaving (I was keen to take the £80m(!)) but he acted like he was a boyhood Manchester United fan arriving from Rochdale when he joined, not the most likely, sideways move at that time 

I found it funny when he just posted a relentless stream of pics of him looking like a fan on a tour of Old Trafford. Pointing at big canvases of Eric Cantona ahaha, fair play Harry.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, z-layrex said:

I don't mean to profile by nationality, my point was that as Brits we are used to behaving a certain way that may not always be in line with how we truly feel, you cant deny that's our culture. Maguire behaved a certain way, Mahrez didn't, likely because of their nationalities. What matters to Leicester fans is that Mahrez is a ****ing Leicester legend, Maguire is not.

He might be many things, our best ever player included, but he isn't a 'legend'. That would put him in the company of people who loved the club and gave their all. He did neither. 

And blaming Algeria for his acting the ****. You must've strained your shoulder with that racist reach. He acted the **** because he IS one. 

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 2

Mahrez achieved a lot at Leicester and for that season alone goes down as a legend. His off field antics tarnished his reputation for me however and therefore I don't wish him any sort of luck with the rest of his career, nor any harm. 

Maguire achieved very little if anything at Leicester (a good season followed by a below average one). He did however conduct himself professionally with his transfer to United so there is certainly no ill feeling towards him although I do revel in how badly they and he are doing

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Maybe it's my age or something, but for me a player ceases to be of any interest when they leave the club.

Their emotions are not engaged (usually) and - once they stop pulling on that royal blue shirt, neither are mine.

it's a bit like a one-sided love affair. You end up saying you never cared for them anyway...

I like that. It's good to move on quickly, whatevers happened has happened so let's just crack on with those that are here. 

I wouldn't deny any legacy they leave, the quality of the player, or stop looking back at their greatest moments. Just that what's happening now is more important. You can't change the past but you can influence the future. 

But even as someone who tries to keep their emotions in check, there are exceptions. A Dennis Wise for example. 

12 hours ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

Maguire ranks below Spencer Prior in his achievements at our club. He can get fcuked as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

I like that. It's good to move on quickly, whatevers happened has happened so let's just crack on with those that are here. 

I wouldn't deny any legacy they leave, the quality of the player, or stop looking back at their greatest moments. Just that what's happening now is more important. You can't change the past but you can influence the future. 

But even as someone who tries to keep their emotions in check, there are exceptions. A Dennis Wise for example. 

Good point. And going back a (very) long way for a lot of us then, Derek Dougan leaving for Wolves took a lot of getting over.

Gave rise to the best ever song - for my money - that Leicester fans ever came up with ('I see the Doog, the Doog sees me - we took him out of Division Three...' etc).