Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Uncle Monty

Maguire gone (official).

2 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Might be unpopular, but I've got more love for Drinky than Kante in all honesty, obviously Kante was a huge catalyst but Drinky was there at the start of the build and also had a bit of a roller coaster ride himself.  Remember how much he was slated after the Barnsley game? You could argue his rise here was quite similar to Vardy's, go from thinking he's pretty disposable to then becoming such a key player the club. I think the euro 2016 snub did actually get to him, because I don't think he was the same player after that. Like with Kante, while I'll have fond memories of him, I just can't quite love him after he ran straight for the exit immediately after winning the title. 

I have no love for either of them.  They're Chelsea players.  They move on, so do we.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SO1 said:

11mil is that a joke. I hope a considerable amount of cash is on ice to be used in the next two transfer windows or else Rodgers got hoodwinked again.:)

Rodgers spent nearly £100m in a single window. I don't know what else he'd possibly want.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, worthosoriginals said:

quite a few of our fans bitched about him while he was here ( not a perfect player  every game etc etc) they're still bitching,   now  that hes gone.   

you can't have it both ways you twa*s!

This is actually only having it one way.

It would be both ways if they praised him like a messiah while he was here and now slagged him off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

For sure, at least Mahrez stuck around for the Champions League, and helped give the fans a European adventure to remember. He was linked with Arsenal amongst others but he was waiting for a Barcelona/Real Madrid to call, and to be fair this Man City side are up there with that sort of level of quality, just without the European trophies. 

Fair enough if those sides come calling, but a Chelsea side who had just finished 10th when he had a contract offer on the table from us for more than 100k a week, just felt a bit disrespectful when we had Champions League football on offer and was the key part of our greatest side ever. 

He should have gone to a Juventus, Real Madrid etc to really show how good he really is. Not ****ing Chelsea. 

He left and has since won the league again, fa cup and europa league. That's more than those teams you've mentioned and more of a challenge in some respects. Plus he could still get another move - he wasn't to have foreseen Chelsea's transfer ban when signing which hinders them competing at the same level. 

Edited by Stuntman_Mike

• 2 months later...

Captained Man U last night and got bamboozled

Maguire acknowledged as much at full-time, writing on Twitter: “A honour to lead the boys out tonight.”

And he has a 100% success rate after United defeated Partizan Belgrade 1-0 in Serbia.

It wasn’t pretty, though. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side managed just one shot on target and that came from Anthony Martial’s match-winning penalty.

And Maguire himself had a moment to forget during the encounter.

It came in the second half, with the £80 million man being made to look pure Sunday League by Partizan's Seydouba Soumah.

Look away now, Harry.

https://www.givemesport.com/1516016-harry-maguire-made-to-look-like-a-sunday-league-player-during-partizan-belgrade-01-man-united?autoplay=on

34 minutes ago, davieG said:

Maguire acknowledged as much at full-time, writing on Twitter: “A honour to lead the boys out tonight.”

And he has a 100% success rate after United defeated Partizan Belgrade 1-0 in Serbia.

It wasn’t pretty, though. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side managed just one shot on target and that came from Anthony Martial’s match-winning penalty.

It came in the second half, with the £80 million man being made to look pure Sunday League by Partizan's Seydouba Soumah.

Look away now, Harry.

https://www.givemesport.com/1516016-harry-maguire-made-to-look-like-a-sunday-league-player-during-partizan-belgrade-01-man-united?autoplay=on

I wish they’d scored from that :giggle:

46 minutes ago, davieG said:

Look away now, Harry.

@Countryfox :ph34r: our pants pulled down for £85 million eh?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

@Countryfox :ph34r: our pants pulled down for £85 million eh?

Nope ...   not pulled down at all ...  but we should have kept him for one more season AND got more for him.  

Anyway ..  who do you think our new centre half will be as apparently Brendan is in the market for one ...

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Nope ...   not pulled down at all ...  but we should have kept him for one more season AND got more for him.  

Anyway ..  who do you think our new centre half will be as apparently Brendan is in the market for one ...

Not a chance.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Look away now, Harry.

I genuinely wish Harry well, but it's funny, after Kante left people were still crying about it like lovesick teenagers 6 months later.  Mahrez' name is still mentioned with a few 'if onlys', but I've not heard a murmur of discontent on here since Harry left. 

£80m banked and improved the team!   Genius!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's who I think we will try and get, I think we'll send them Benkovic in the deal.

I haven't watched any Celtic games and I don't know Ajer but surely Benkovic was hailed as their best centre half when he was there?  Why swap him for a lesser team mate?

Edit - just read online that Celtic are to offer him a huge new contract to tempt him to stay - as much as £25k p/w  lol

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/kristoffer-ajer-transfer-celtic-zenit-16780859

Edited by murphy
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

I haven't watched any Celtic games and I don't know Ajer but surely Benkovic was hailed as their best centre half when he was there?  Why swap him for a lesser team mate?

@henrik_62 can answer this, from what I gather Ajer has been phenomenal for them since converting to centre back and seems destined for the very top. Benkovic would also be in that category but he seems blighted by injury every season since he was 18/19 which is a huge worry.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

@henrik_62 can answer this, from what I gather Ajer has been phenomenal for them since converting to centre back and seems destined for the very top. Benkovic would also be in that category but he seems blighted by injury every season since he was 18/19 which is a huge worry.

In fairness, with Evans in the squad I dont think we should worry too much if Benkovic is injured. Soyuncu/Ajer (Ajer as a placeholder name) and Evans/Benkovic should work fine. 

Edited by Nicolo Barella
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

It's a tough one, everyone loved Benkovic and he was an absolute Rolls Royce up here.  It's a shame he seems blighted by injury and can't make a decent fist of getting into the Leicester side.  For what it's worth I've heard a few rumours up here that there's a chance we might be able to get him back on loan.  To answer the question, if that were to happen our first choice pairing at centre back would be Jullien and Benkovic I think.  For the moment anyway.  That said, it's a funny one with us as we play so many games the whole notion of someone or other being first choice tends to go out the window due to injuries, necessary rotation, etc.  Ajer is probably the best example of that as he's one that in most Celtic fans' minds has never been first choice until this season but in that time he's played probably more games than any of our other centre backs due to circumstance.

Ajer is a great young player and has improved so much in the last couple of years, he's a proper defender although because he played in midfield up until the last few years he's also very good at bringing the ball out from the back.  He still shows the odd moment of naievity getting caught on the wrong side or being a bit rash in the tackle but I think that'll disappear as he matures and learns the position more.

Going forward on who'll turn out to be the better player it's hard to call, if Benkovic continues to suffer injury after injury then I reckon it will derail him unfortunately.  Ajer in my opinion in short to medium term will continue to develop and will be able to go down and more than hold his own at a top EPL side.

In terms of a long term bet, given his injury issues I'd have to plump for Ajer being the better choice and the one with more potential, given he's still very young in centre back terms and could be frightening if he continues to develop at the same rate.

Thanks for that Henrik.

Reading between the lines, I still think that you are saying that if we were to ignore injuries and on talent alone, Benkovic is the better player?

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1