Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

2 hours ago, MadKaw said:

Nah, the worse VAR is in Aus and we've had 2 years to try and get right. We don't even have goal line technology.

Have a look at this.. 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-western-united-vs-western-sydney-wanderers-var-controversy-var-denies-scott-mcdonald-goal-news-video-highlights/news-story/87fa1af33c2be7b174bc6a3c2ad28d78

I watched that and was very surprised at the time it wasn't given even by VAR. But I'd say VAR usage in Australia is largely much better than how it's being used here. 

• Like 1

When I watch the TMO in rugby, to check forward passes or offside infringements there are no lines on the screen, it's all down to the judgement of the TMO. Personally, I think this would be a better scenario than the exact science, where offsides are being given if your toe nail is a bit too long. 

So, if there is no obvious offside when looking at the decision with the naked eye, the decision should go with the attacking team. Obvious offsides should be awarded accordingly.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

And the next chapter of Michael Owen Bullshit: 

Funny he has no objections when VAR doesn't cause a decision against Liverpool. Wonder if he'd have said the same if the penalty was given 

The bloke is a complete bellend

39 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

And the next chapter of Michael Owen Bullshit: 

Funny he has no objections when VAR doesn't cause a decision against Liverpool. Wonder if he'd have said the same if the penalty was given 

Michael Owen was a great player, but absolute total rubbish as a pundit. Got the personality of a corpse. He's the man who wrote a piece for a national paper saying that Vardy wasn't a natural striker or natural goal scorer! 

Clear penalty today for Man City, hand moved towards ball. Anywhere else on the pitch, ref would have blown. VAR is fine, just the people administering it are mostly idiots. 

VAR had no impact on the game because there is no consistency, it's all subjective decisions by incompetent officials and is bad for the game in its current format. 

15 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

This weekend sent me over, they’ve completely fvcked VAR and made me despise it. Bin it completely and bin the management at the PGMOL. Re-assess in a few years once they’ve cleared out the deadwood.

Anyone reading through this thread will know my views on VAR.

Last weekend yet again confirmed what a disaster it is. The Sheff Utd offside goal was a disgrace and the Man City handball non 'penalty' was a penalty. If VAR is to be taken seriously it must start changing these obvious mistakes. Otherwise it must be binned.

yesterday's incident at anfield highlights a huge discrepancy with the new handball rule re contact with the arm before a goal is scored.  if you assume that the defenders handball rule is there to prevent the attacking side being denied the chance to create/score a goal by 'deliberate' use of a defenders arm/hand, then surely you need to consider the context. presumably TAA has blocked the ball from reaching a man city player who could either score or help to create a goal scoring opp...………. if TAA doesn't handle the ball and it then ends up being a goal then it gets ruled out because of silva's use of the arm …… so the message needs to go out to defenders that if they see the ball make contact with an attacker's arm/hand, they shouldn't bother to defend the situation and would be better stopping playing ……..  by continuing to defend, they run the risk of conceding a penalty with a mistimed tackle or possible handball of their own.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

yesterday's incident at anfield highlights a huge discrepancy with the new handball rule re contact with the arm before a goal is scored.  if you assume that the defenders handball rule is there to prevent the attacking side being denied the chance to create/score a goal by 'deliberate' use of a defenders arm/hand, then surely you need to consider the context. presumably TAA has blocked the ball from reaching a man city player who could either score or help to create a goal scoring opp...………. if TAA doesn't handle the ball and it then ends up being a goal then it gets ruled out because of silva's use of the arm …… so the message needs to go out to defenders that if they see the ball make contact with an attacker's arm/hand, they shouldn't bother to defend the situation and would be better stopping playing ……..  by continuing to defend, they run the risk of conceding a penalty with a mistimed tackle or possible handball of their own.   

for me.

Handball is handball.

whether you mean to touch it or not, if you touch it, its hand ball end of.

dont understand the ambiguity and life would be simpler if handball meant hand ball.

the problem with VAR is the wild inconsistencies, the Caglar take down not being called as a peno is indicative of the this.

use it properly or bin it off.

42 minutes ago, Cujek said:

for me.

Handball is handball.

whether you mean to touch it or not, if you touch it, its hand ball end of.

dont understand the ambiguity and life would be simpler if handball meant hand ball.

the problem with VAR is the wild inconsistencies, the Caglar take down not being called as a peno is indicative of the this.

use it properly or bin it off.

Sorry mate but that won’t work - otherwise you just have forwards blasting the ball at defenders arms from two feet away like sterling did to TAA yesterday - in fact you could have players playing beyond defenders and then the recipient aiming at the defender from behind - a recipe for chaos imo (Though weirdly Lineker agrees with you)

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Sorry mate but that won’t work - otherwise you just have forwards blasting the ball at defenders arms from two feet away like sterling did to TAA yesterday - in fact you could have players playing beyond defenders and then the recipient aiming at the defender from behind - a recipe for chaos imo (Though weirdly Lineker agrees with you)

I guess, i didn't really think of that.

but if that is deliberate, then i would class it as cheating.

i suppose the problem would be proving it either way.

22 hours ago, Super_horns said:
Refs told to look at the screen ..

Will it actually happen ?

Surely they could just set up something where the refs are given some sort of tablet in a compact backpack which they can pull out if needed and watch a video off there. Would make it much easier and less time waste than having to go to the halfway line to check the video. 

VAR was introduced to correct clear and obvious errors, or to be precise, those in certain pre-defined situations (like mistaken identity, scoring a goal, offsides, penalty appeals).

The important bit that lots of people seem to have forgotten is "clear and obvious".  To use a legal analogy, criminal courts have guilty/not guilty verdicts based on "beyond reasonable doubt" ... not some fine mathematical 50.1% margin.

VAR was sold to people on being able to cut out clear errors that had been made in the past ... The sort that brings the game into disrepute, and makes it a laughing stock.  For example Maradona's handball v England in 1986, Henry's handball v the Republic of Ireland in 2009.  Or even that penalty decision against us in the FA Cup 5th round replay at Chelsea in 1997.

It wasn't introduced to rule goals out for being 1/4 inch offside, even if the technology was that accurate (which it isn't).   And it most definitely wasn't designed to take between 2-3 minutes coming up with such ridiculous decisions.   Or nearly 4 mins in the Tottenham v Sheff Utd match, I think.

We have had 120 Premier League games this season so far.  As far as I can tell, there have hardly been any "clear and obvious" decisions correctly overturned by VAR.   Nearly all of them have been disputed.  There're been a couple of offsides that were perhaps a foot offside/onside, and that we're all agreed on.  But that's it.   Nearly all of the rest of the VAR decisions have been argued over.

The real reason VAR was introduced is this: for years and years managers/players/pundits/fans have been incessantly moaning about referees and linesman, and totally undermining their authority.   To such a degree, that there was a consensus that they were useless and needed the help of technology.

But, in my opinion, this season has shown actually how generally good the officials are.   They do a good job most of the time, but make the occasional mistake.  In the same way that the best players make mistakes.   As has happened for the last 150 years, and which hasn't seemed to harm the popularity of the game too much.

The irony is that we've used technology to highlight official's occasional mistakes to such a degree - that we undermined our faith in them.   But that the technology promised to correct this self-inflicted state of affairs, is actually making it worse.  Much worse.  And killing the excitement of scoring goals.

There's only one solution.  GROVAR (Get Rid Of VAR).

4 hours ago, mikey_b said:

surely with the new rules if play had been stopped for the TAA handball, it would have ultimately been a free kick to Liverpool as it struck Silva's hand in the build up?

Apparently no. Silva's apparent handball does not count as it did not create a goal scoring opportunity. The referee decided it was not a free kick - furthermore, VAR can only review penalties, off-sides and penalties.

Now whether that's clear or sensible is another matter...

This "7/10" interview has really riled me up. Arrogantly says no one should expect to have quick/even right decisions after just 12 games despite match going fans spending bare minimum £300+ if they'd gone to every game this season.

Also mentions to holding meetings/presentations before the season and that it is 'all going according to that plan' yet none of these presentations were even attempted to be communicated with fans. Complete disregard. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50380641

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sammy said:

This "7/10" interview has really riled me up. Arrogantly says no one should expect to have quick/even right decisions after just 12 games despite match going fans spending bare minimum £300+ if they'd gone to every game this season.

Also mentions to holding meetings/presentations before the season and that it is 'all going according to that plan' yet none of these presentations were even attempted to be communicated with fans. Complete disregard. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50380641

It's a joke. The PL was one of the last top leagues to bring it in, they got an extra year to iron out the kinks too as clubs voted against it in 2018. They can't play the "its new to us card" when they've had longer to prepare than most leagues. It's sheer incompetence that has led to the state it's in right now and the arrogance to not admit they've got it wrong is astounding.

Also love how they hide behind IFAB protocol for one of the points, yet, they're not following IFAB protocol as it is by telling refs not to go to the monitors.  

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 17:12, Super_horns said:
Refs told to look at the screen ..

Will it actually happen ?

Hope so, because it's becoming a joke as it stands. How can a panel, miles from the game, seriously make a decision without being open to corruption in a sport that's worth billions and also, what was a subjective decision at the game, is now a subjective decision away from the game. The liverpool/man city handball the other day was a typical example, if the ref had gave a penalty, or not gave a penalty, the decision would have been forgot about within 30 seconds, now its grumbling on for days with stories of fixing and cheating. The decision needs to happen at the match and also be shown on a big screen, although it wouldn't happen at Anfield, because they don't have one! which in itself is a bit suspicious.