Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

5 hours ago, Sly said:

I see Wenger is trying to push through a “daylight” rule in time for Euro 2020. That’ll sort the stupid offside by an armpit air out! 

Now he isn't a manager guess he can see issues that are creating problems very clearly.

I think he was one of the first in favour of VAR when at Arsenal - so long as it went his way I guess!

19 hours ago, Always Next Year said:

Why do we have pitch side monitors, because I have only ever seen one ref use it.

The game as we know it is slowly going down the pan.

I honestly don’t know - 

I feel like the refs here don’t want to use the pitch side monitors because they are trying to prioritise not losing any pace to the game. I’d rather we did the VAR thing properly though instead of the on-off, half-hearted manner in which it’s being done now.

Any kind of subjective call (if the guys in Stockley park aren’t sure) should be made by the ref on the pitch (so that he retains control) but he should definitely be going over to the monitor to see whether he’s missed something. 

2 hours ago, oadby.fox said:

I honestly don’t know - 

I feel like the refs here don’t want to use the pitch side monitors because they are trying to prioritise not losing any pace to the game. I’d rather we did the VAR thing properly though instead of the on-off, half-hearted manner in which it’s being done now.

Any kind of subjective call (if the guys in Stockley park aren’t sure) should be made by the ref on the pitch (so that he retains control) but he should definitely be going over to the monitor to see whether he’s missed something. 

Exactly this. With so many decisions being subjective, they don’t necessarily know what the referee has seen. They’re reluctant to overturn decisions, but they don’t know the referee’s interpretation of what’s happened. The referee could easily see his mistakes (or not) by having a look at the pitch side monitor. I think we’d get a higher percentage of correct calls if the referee has a look himself. 

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-receive-explanation-over-3863094

Leicester City have received an explanation for the handball controversy in their Carabao Cup semi-final defeat to Aston Villa – and it has failed to satisfy manager Brendan Rodgers.

City asked authorities for clarification after James Maddison’s shot, blocked inside the penalty area by the outstretched arm of Villa midfielder Marvelous Nakamba, failed to result in a spot-kick.

Neither on-field referee Mike Dean nor video official Lee Mason deemed Nakamba’s block to be an infringement, but there were concerns that VAR had checked the wrong incident, with replays suggesting Maddison's follow-up shot, which hit defender Ezri Konsa on the ribs, was the clip watched at Stockley Park.

City trailed 1-0 at the time and went on to lose the second leg 2-1, Villa booking their place in the final at Wembley with an injury-time goal from Mahmoud Trezeguet.

Baffled by the decision, City requested an explanation in the referee report they submitted after the match.

But the verdict has left Rodgers questioning what constitutes handball.

“We were told that [Nakamba’s arm] wasn’t in an unnatural position,” said Rodgers.

Leicester%E2%80%99s-Maddison-%E2%80%98ba

“We were getting clarity around both, because there were a couple of incidents. Had they seen the right incident?

“I don’t like to go on too much about it because it’s gone, you can’t do anything about it. But for me it was more about the game, because we had two of our most experienced referees in that game against Villa, one in the game and one outside in VAR.

Leicester City latest

“That was where we needed clarity because if they’re not seeing it... I can understand a little bit, Mike [not seeing it], in the game, where it happens so quickly and there’s a couple of quick incidents and then it’s a corner, but then for it to go to VAR, I wanted to ask the question: ‘What is actually handball?’

“It’s just the consistency, that’s what we’re all looking for. That decision away at Villa, if you don’t get that, it’s difficult to say what is a handball.

“I spoke to the Premier League representatives and that’s a Premier League handball but you’ve got one of your top referees from the Premier League refereeing. And it’s a big moment, because it’s early in the game and it can change it.”

Because of the subjective nature of the game, there have been calls for referees to use the pitchside monitors more often, in order to prevent those on VAR duty taking a different view of the same incident to the on-field officials.

“[Dean] could have done [checked the monitor], but he chose not to,” added Rodgers. “But it was still clear on the screen that it was a handball.

“Anyway, it’s gone, so we move on.”

• Haha 2

At least we haven’t had it this bad Not technically VAR but this happened in Scotland, Ref booked player for simulation as the ref didn’t think there was contact, player was sent off as 2nd yellow, apparently you can appeal against yellow cards in a sending off in Scotland as the club did appeal against the Simulation yellow card, a independent 3 person panel looked at the incident and agreed with the ref that it was simulation and no contact was made between the players, absolutely bonkers 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

At least we haven’t had it this bad Not technically VAR but this happened in Scotland, Ref booked player for simulation as the ref didn’t think there was contact, player was sent off as 2nd yellow, apparently you can appeal against yellow cards in a sending off in Scotland as the club did appeal against the Simulation yellow card, a independent 3 person panel looked at the incident and agreed with the ref that it was simulation and no contact was made between the players, absolutely bonkers 

God that's awful!

31 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It's all a bit rigged and open to cover ups.

If that's the case it's seems like they're not doing a very good job of covering it up.

On 19/02/2020 at 21:27, oadby.fox said:

I honestly don’t know - 

I think people are kidding themselves if the ref will make a different decision to VAR.Ive not seen one ref go against var after checking the monitor although I havent watched much of other countries this year.

Imo they shouldnt have too,theres a ref in the room who should understand whats happened and the situation.

We still seeing howlers being made which is what was meant to prevent.

7 hours ago, womp said:

I think people are kidding themselves if the ref will make a different decision to VAR.Ive not seen one ref go against var after checking the monitor although I havent watched much of other countries this year.

Imo they shouldnt have too,theres a ref in the room who should understand whats happened and the situation.

We still seeing howlers being made which is what was meant to prevent.

I disagree. The VAR is reluctant to overrule the ref if it isn't day and night. The ref may be able to review the incident with more honesty and say, I think I got it wrong. If the VAR says I think he might have got that wrong, he doesn't overrule. VAR has to think that the ref either missed it completely, or that he made a blatant error.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I disagree. The VAR is reluctant to overrule the ref if it isn't day and night. The ref may be able to review the incident with more honesty and say, I think I got it wrong. If the VAR says I think he might have got that wrong, he doesn't overrule. VAR has to think that the ref either missed it completely, or that he made a blatant error.

But surely if VAR thinks the ref got it wrong they should over rule, it is a clear and obvious error,  it seems they don't  want to compromise their mates and embarrass them by showing them to have made a bad call.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FantasticMrFox&Son said:

Why not get the 4th official involved ?

He spends the game between the opposing team benches, approximately 5 yards from the pitch-side monitor.

That’d make less difference than VAR because he still doesn’t know what the ref saw. Also, he’s there and not removed from the situation which IMO, makes it less likely for him to overturn the refs decision. 

I'm thinking out loud here so don't shoot me down. All the players wear those GPS devices that track where they are on the pitch etc. If they used those and a similar device in the ball, with some application couldn't they determine offsides in real time?

Edited by Arkie Bennett

6 minutes ago, Arkie Bennett said:

I'm thinking out loud here so don't shoot me down. All the players wear those GPS devices that track where they are on the pitch etc. If they used those and a similar device in the ball, with some application couldn't they determine offsides in real time?

My first thought on that is they are on their backs, so 2 people facing the opposite directions would be an issue for this. Unless youre suggesting players were full body suits covering head to toe then I can't see how this works. Personally, I think the offside rules fine as is and on or offside is the only thing VAR is getting right. 

1 hour ago, browniefox said:

My first thought on that is they are on their backs, so 2 people facing the opposite directions would be an issue for this. Unless youre suggesting players were full body suits covering head to toe then I can't see how this works. Personally, I think the offside rules fine as is and on or offside is the only thing VAR is getting right. 

Really I wasn't suggesting anything in particular other than that the existing technology could be useful.

So Lo Celso made an hoorendous tackle. Didn't get a yellow. VAR watched it many many times didn't overturn it. 10 minutes to go I hear that VAR admitted it was an error and Lo Celso should've been red carded. 

2 questions. How can VAR have made a mistake - who made it, who admitted it was?

More importantly if it was a red why wasn't the game stopped as soon as they decided it - even if it was with 10 minutes to go and Lo Celso sent off? 

By leaving him on it could have resulted in a draw or even a win for Spurs and eventually affected European qualification.