Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

20 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

No.

Azpilicueta was barely touched. He then went and put two arms into Williams' back to shove him to the floor. Absolutely blatant foul.

Maguire's "kick" was an instinct because he thought the lad was going to fall on him. Not a red card. Common sense prevailed. 

He would say that though. Looked more like an act of agression to me, unless the stare and frown from maguire was him calculating where the chelsea player was going to land.

29 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

So Maguire kicking someone is not a red card and Fred pushing Azpilicueta into someone is a foul by Azpilicueta?? 

I think he is trolling tbh.

The Maguire incident was stupid and his explanation was crazy " i didn't kick him, i stuck my leg towards him and straightened it" that's a fooking kick mate!

tbh the game is so far gone now its getting un-watchable, im prerrty much done with this season, lets hope next year is less tripe.

39 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

No.

Azpilicueta was barely touched. He then went and put two arms into Williams' back to shove him to the floor. Absolutely blatant foul.

Maguire's "kick" was an instinct because he thought the lad was going to fall on him. Not a red card. Common sense prevailed. 

Welcome to the forum Mr Riley. 
Can we please confirm if handball is still a rule this season? Or are defenders allowed to do it but not attackers. Thanks 

• Haha 2

Had Maguire an Afro hair style he would have gone.  Very poor decision by VAR, plus the VAR monitor was only a few feet away from the assault meaning the twat Ref could have checked for himself.   Frank was done over and the EPL’s orders to move us out of the top 4 will soon kick in. Orders were obviously ignored versus Wolves as VAR helped us, but did miss the barge on Madders. 

9 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Had Maguire an Afro hair style he would have gone.  Very poor decision by VAR, plus the VAR monitor was only a few feet away from the assault meaning the twat Ref could have checked for himself.   Frank was done over and the EPL’s orders to move us out of the top 4 will soon kick in. Orders were obviously ignored versus Wolves as VAR helped us, but did miss the barge on Madders. 

On a similar note, I did remark to my girlfriend while watching that incident "if Maguire had an LCFC shirt on he would have been sent straight off"

• Like 1

Ever since Maguire went to Man U he as been getting away with all sorts of things.

Just watch how many times he has his arms around a player when a free kick or corner is taken.

And the holding onto players arms when they beat him for pace.

Never got away with it at Leicester so why are refs turning a blind eye now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

It hasn't always been like that.

For the first 100 or so years, the rule book used to just talk about the player being nearer the opponents goal line etc.

It's only been in the last few years with camera angles and arificial lines drawn across the pitch, that they started to refine it to parts of the body.

Sorry, I qualified as a ref about 25 years ago and it was stated then.  The laws of the game did not state it, however the associated booklet "advice on the application of the laws of the game" did make mention of it.

3 hours ago, Always Next Year said:

Ever since Maguire went to Man U he as been getting away with all sorts of things.

Just watch how many times he has his arms around a player when a free kick or corner is taken.

And the holding onto players arms when they beat him for pace.

Never got away with it at Leicester so why are refs turning a blind eye now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He annoyed me when we went up to Old Trafford. Anything he could do to stop Vardy getting away, constantly hammering the linesman for any hint of offside too.

Edited by Fox92

18 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Thing is, it’s very easy to sit in front of a monitor 100 miles away from a game, it’s a bit different when there’s 22 players and 30-40000 fans calling you a willy puller and you have to make a decision in a split second, not sticking up for refs like, but someone’s got to officiate the game.

I agree but I think that’s part and parcel of being an elite level referee in the first place. If you can’t handle the intensity and you’re (more often than not) prone to buckling under pressure then you probably shouldn’t be officiating games at the very highest level. Singing in the shower is a very different gig to belting one out at Hyde park but if you’re the kind of person who can’t sing in front of other people then you probably shouldn’t be trying to make a living doing the latter!

VAR should be there to help the refs on the pitch and just like you said, it’s very easy to sit in front of a monitor elsewhere and come to a better decision - so why are the refs in Stockley Park not making these better decisions? The answer simply has to be because something has gone wrong somewhere I.e the rules are unclear and need improving or the refs are just incompetent. The inconsistency from week-to-week is absolutely baffling, 95% of us can spot them and for us this is just entertainment! These guys are getting paid a lot to ref these games and yet are still giving totally contradictory decisions via VAR weeks or days apart.

5 hours ago, pleatout said:

Sorry, I qualified as a ref about 25 years ago and it was stated then.  The laws of the game did not state it, however the associated booklet "advice on the application of the laws of the game" did make mention of it.

That may have been the case. 

But until freeze frame technology was being used, any reference to feet, head, armpit, finger was effectively irrelevant.

Judging offside of the main body of mass/upper torso is difficult enough at speed, without fine tuning down to an armpit. 

25 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

I agree but I think that’s part and parcel of being an elite level referee in the first place. If you can’t handle the intensity and you’re (more often than not) prone to buckling under pressure then you probably shouldn’t be officiating games at the very highest level. Singing in the shower is a very different gig to belting one out at Hyde park but if you’re the kind of person who can’t sing in front of other people then you probably shouldn’t be trying to make a living doing the latter!

VAR should be there to help the refs on the pitch and just like you said, it’s very easy to sit in front of a monitor elsewhere and come to a better decision - so why are the refs in Stockley Park not making these better decisions? The answer simply has to be because something has gone wrong somewhere I.e the rules are unclear and need improving or the refs are just incompetent. The inconsistency from week-to-week is absolutely baffling, 95% of us can spot them and for us this is just entertainment! These guys are getting paid a lot to ref these games and yet are still giving totally contradictory decisions via VAR weeks or days apart.

Why do we have pitch side monitors, because I have only ever seen one ref use it.

The game as we know it is slowly going down the pan.

20 hours ago, AKCJ said:

No.

😂😂😂 Wow, just wow. Still love Harry do we?? Mate he booted him in the leg cos he didn't like the challenge, hardly think h kick someone in anticipation they might land on you. So every rugby tackle or pile on you expect someone to boot the other bloke before they land on them. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sly said:

I see Wenger is trying to push through a “daylight” rule in time for Euro 2020. That’ll sort the stupid offside by an armpit air out! 

How do you measure daylight ? Is a mm enough ?? Will still require forensic freezeframe analysis 

seems like too big an advantage for attackers btw - having made a mess of it once, a change that simply makes it a mess I’m a different way is not the answer.

my initial thought is that defenders will drop so deep to avoid a problem that every game will be like us playing wolves first half last week ......

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

How do you measure daylight ? Is a mm enough ?? Will still require forensic freezeframe analysis 

seems like too big an advantage for attackers btw - having made a mess of it once, a change that simply makes it a mess I’m a different way is not the answer.

my initial thought is that defenders will drop so deep to avoid a problem that every game will be like us playing wolves first half last week ......

You either see daylight or you don't, best way for me who cares if it gives the striker an advantage, we get to see more goals.

7 minutes ago, red5 said:

You either see daylight or you don't, best way for me who cares if it gives the striker an advantage, we get to see more goals.

It doesn’t solve anything. Exactly the same problems it has now. Seeing ‘daylight’ next season is exactly the same as not seeing ‘daylight’ this season. 

7 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

It doesn’t solve anything. Exactly the same problems it has now. Seeing ‘daylight’ next season is exactly the same as not seeing ‘daylight’ this season. 

Explain how it doesn't solve it and the same problems, we don't have to wait for the lines to see if a big toe is offside, if you see daylight between the striker/defender it's offside, if you don't it's onside.

12 minutes ago, red5 said:

Explain how it doesn't solve it and the same problems, we don't have to wait for the lines to see if a big toe is offside, if you see daylight between the striker/defender it's offside, if you don't it's onside.

So you can see daylight across the width of the pitch with body parts at different heights? Is that explanation good enough?

• Haha 1