Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

The new rule rather than VAR did blame for the handball decision I think .

Petty rule really .

Where do you draw the line and if you do draw a line then the ‘grey’ areas close to that line will throw up situations which will cause big hassles depending which side of the line your club falls .....

• Like 1

Seeing as it was a rule change for handballs leading to goals, var did get it spot on. It’s the offside rule that needs sorting though, some thing like any part of a defenders body can play the attacker onside or go back to how it used to be years ago where there needs to be daylight between the players 

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Seeing as it was a rule change for handballs leading to goals, var did get it spot on. It’s the offside rule that needs sorting though, some thing like any part of a defenders body can play the attacker onside or go back to how it used to be years ago where there needs to be daylight between the players 

The offside definitely needs sorting, maybe judge it on the players feet and allow for a margin of error. 

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

No need for it. It's a sport, let the human element, positive or negative have influence. 

I'd much rather talk about how a ref or linesperson has missed a decision (and slag them off for being fat or blind...) than have to complain about 2mm of a shoulder being further forward in a video replay. 

I couldn't disagree with this more. Why let human error influence matches when with a bit of effort and perseverance we could officiate fairly? I'm not a fan of the 2mm offsides we're seeing, but the answer is to change the rules of the game (say any ball playing part of the body to be onside), rather than to keep giving goals where the attacker is yards offside, but the officials missed it. 

Edited by Fktf

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

No need for it. It's a sport, let the human element, positive or negative have influence. 

I'd much rather talk about how a ref or linesperson has missed a decision (and slag them off for being fat or blind...) than have to complain about 2mm of a shoulder being further forward in a video replay. 

Disagree...Technology rules.

I still havent got over Farringtons goal at Arsenal...he was in his own half  & the linesman pulled  it up for offside!!!!  We would of knocked Arsenal out of the cup!!

15 minutes ago, Fktf said:

I couldn't disagree with this more. Why let human error influence matches when with a bit of effort and perseverance we could officiate fairly? I'm not a fan of the 2mm offsides we're seeing, but the answer is to change the rules of the game (say any ball playing part of the body to be onside), rather than to keep giving goals where the attacker is yards offside, but the officials missed it. 

Well it should be spotting the yard offside ones and making the ref aware, that's no issue. What it shouldn't be doing is looking for a reason to disallow a goal. The jesus goal last week, on the first pausing of video wasn't obviously offside, so imo they didn't need to start drawing lines all over it and should have just let it stand. Had sterling been obviously past the last defender at first glance on the video then I have no problem with them ruling it out. There was a great example today with Monreal, good yard past the defender before squaring it to Nelson to score, was missed, var spots it, rules it out, totally fine. That's exactly what the system should be used for, not armpits offside by 1mm.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Well it should be spotting the yard offside ones and making the ref aware, that's no issue. What it shouldn't be doing is looking for a reason to disallow a goal. The jesus goal last week, on the first pausing of video wasn't obviously offside, so imo they didn't need to start drawing lines all over it and should have just let it stand. Had sterling been obviously past the last defender at first glance on the video then I have no problem with them ruling it out. There was a great example today with Monreal, good yard past the defender before squaring it to Nelson to score, was missed, var spots it, rules it out, totally fine. That's exactly what the system should be used for, not armpits offside by 1mm.

Completely agree. We just need to change the offside rule to encapsulate this, and var will do its job. 

7 hours ago, Facecloth said:

No we need to change how VAR is used. Right now they are reffing a game like an episode of motd, slowing everything down to the nth degree, drawing lines, spending two minutes searching for something that might be wrong. The faintest touch on an ankle, the slightest brush of the ball by an arm, a player 1mm offside. What it should be doing is looking for something obvious that for whatever reason the ref might have missed, a blatant handball, someone wrestling someone to floor at a corner, someone punching someone off the ball behind the refs back, a player clearly offside to the naked eye but missed by the linesman, even someone feigning injury or diving. The rules are fine, and on a whole the refs are ok too, but they are human, their  line of sight will be blocked, they'll have their backs to an incident etc, they'll miss stuff, and that what we need var for. We don't need it to spot Laporte handball today, because no referee in the world in spotting the slight brush of the arm in real time on the pitch with the naked eye, so why are we slowing it down to purposely look for it. No linesman is spotting sterlings armpit being 1mm offside, so why are we drawing lines to find it. The rules are fine, the use of technology to implement them currently is not.

Nothing much to add to this.  Pretty much word perfect.

I’m all for a system that means clear and obvious errors are not made. The officials can’t see everything so they do need help.

however disallowing goals for a nipple being offside or if the ball accidentally brushes an arm is ludicrous. Completely spoils the game. I agree that it’s not VARs fault, the rules need looking at it.

with the Man City one yesterday if we are being really OTT, Skipp pulled laportes shirt first and the ball hit both their arms so could easily have been given as a penalty instead. 

This is going to ruin our beautiful game if we’re not careful 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

I’m all for a system that means clear and obvious errors are not made. The officials can’t see everything so they do need help.

however disallowing goals for a nipple being offside or if the ball accidentally brushes an arm is ludicrous. Completely spoils the game. I agree that it’s not VARs fault, the rules need looking at it.

with the Man City one yesterday if we are being really OTT, Skipp pulled laportes shirt first and the ball hit both their arms so could easily have been given as a penalty instead. 

I agree, but personally think they've adjusted the handball rule so there can be consistency with decisions. Otherwise if 1 is awarded and another isn't, questions will be asked.

VAR is literally a camera system, we can all watch from home and scrutinise decisions, hence why it can work... The problem as I've already said is the rules of the game and those officiating them.

It was all well and good that Pep was giving Michael Oliver grief yesterday but it ultimately wasn't his decision!

56 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

No it couldn’t. With the new law, accidental handball is only pulled up if it helps you score a goal. So bizarrely it’s not an offence for the Spurs player doing the exact same thing at the same time.

7 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

No it couldn’t. With the new law, accidental handball is only pulled up if it helps you score a goal. So bizarrely it’s not an offence for the Spurs player doing the exact same thing at the same time.

You’re spot on and it’s a nonsense that the attacker can be penalised but the defender can’t.

what I meant is that as time goes on it could go that way - sorry if not explained well!

VAR is great but the rules need looking at 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Facecloth said:

No we need to change how VAR is used. Right now they are reffing a game like an episode of motd, slowing everything down to the nth degree, drawing lines, spending two minutes searching for something that might be wrong. The faintest touch on an ankle, the slightest brush of the ball by an arm, a player 1mm offside. What it should be doing is looking for something obvious that for whatever reason the ref might have missed, a blatant handball, someone wrestling someone to floor at a corner, someone punching someone off the ball behind the refs back, a player clearly offside to the naked eye but missed by the linesman, even someone feigning injury or diving. The rules are fine, and on a whole the refs are ok too, but they are human, their  line of sight will be blocked, they'll have their backs to an incident etc, they'll miss stuff, and that what we need var for. We don't need it to spot Laporte handball today, because no referee in the world in spotting the slight brush of the arm in real time on the pitch with the naked eye, so why are we slowing it down to purposely look for it. No linesman is spotting sterlings armpit being 1mm offside, so why are we drawing lines to find it. The rules are fine, the use of technology to implement them currently is not.

Everyone was saying 'no one knew it hit his hand, only VAR could tell'. Well, one player definitely knew it hit his hand didn't he, and just hoped no one noticed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe we need to take the rule literally and only penalise hand balls that hit the hand. Arm ball is fair game. 

Also why are we the only country or league where the referee doesn't take a look at the footage? He relies solely on the opinion of someone sat miles away. Difficult for ref to manage on pitch situation if he isn't seeing it himself. 

It's easier for VAR to disallow something rather than give a decision in favour of attacking team. Especially when ball doesn't go dead, as the case with the lamela foul yesterday. 

41 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Also why are we the only country or league where the referee doesn't take a look at the footage? He relies solely on the opinion of someone sat miles away. Difficult for ref to manage on pitch situation if he isn't seeing it himself.

Why would he have to take a look at it? Does the ref have to look at all offsides himself because he's relying on the opinion of a linesman?

It makes the game even slower! In any sport whether it goes to the third umpire or video ref, you have to trust their decision.

10 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Agree with the sentiment here, but VAR is only ever going to enforce the laws we have. The current offside rule is that any ball playing part of the body past the defender is an offside, and we're seeing that this is a rubbish rule when it's enforced so strictly with technology. So the rule needs changing so there's a margin of error to benefit the forward (e.g anything past the defender that is visible with the naked eye, anything more than 5cm past the defender). 

I suspect the law makers, and maybe refs, might prefer to define a number to keep things consistent across games. Otherwise they'll be times when var doesn't spot an offside, but pundits/fans argue that they can tell the player is off and the goal should have been ruled out. 

2 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Agree with the sentiment here, but VAR is only ever going to enforce the laws we have. The current offside rule is that any ball playing part of the body past the defender is an offside, and we're seeing that this is a rubbish rule when it's enforced so strictly with technology. So the rule needs changing so there's a margin of error to benefit the forward (e.g anything past the defender that is visible with the naked eye, anything more than 5cm past the defender). 

I suspect the law makers, and maybe refs, might prefer to define a number to keep things consistent across games. Otherwise they'll be times when var doesn't spot an offside, but pundits/fans argue that they can tell the player is off and the goal should have been ruled out. 

No, you're not getting what I'm saying. The rule is fine, the way we are using VAR to spot it is wrong. Offside is offside, we can't change that, what we can change is someone sat in a room dissecting the footage to the most minute detail to spot. If you can't spot it on the first pausing of a replay, then it's not a obvious error, so let it fly. The Sterling one wasn't obvious at first glance, only once it was slowed to 25 frames per second and had lines drawn it, that's not what we should be doing. Whereas the Dan Burn one yesterday at Brighton was pretty obvious at the first look of the first replay. No ultra slow mo, no lines, it was simple, but missed by the official at the game, that's what we need VAR for.

VAR was brought in to get the most accurate decision, however tortuous the process. We shouldn't have to break it down as they do but that's what is required to get the absolute correct decision.

As soon as something isn't correct with the technology, hell will break loose and the complaints even louder.

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

No, you're not getting what I'm saying. The rule is fine, the way we are using VAR to spot it is wrong. Offside is offside, we can't change that, what we can change is someone sat in a room dissecting the footage to the most minute detail to spot. If you can't spot it on the first pausing of a replay, then it's not a obvious error, so let it fly. The Sterling one wasn't obvious at first glance, only once it was slowed to 25 frames per second and had lines drawn it, that's not what we should be doing. Whereas the Dan Burn one yesterday at Brighton was pretty obvious at the first look of the first replay. No ultra slow mo, no lines, it was simple, but missed by the official at the game, that's what we need VAR for.

This is how var would be used if the offside rule was 'anything you can spot with the naked eye'. But that isn't the rule we have at the moment, hence the tech is used to spot offsides of even 1mm. 

Anyway, I think we both agree something needs to be done to stop var ruling out goals like sterling's, otherwise we're going to end up with forwards holding their runs, not playing on the shoulder of the last defender, and that'll mean less goals for us fans. 

2 minutes ago, Fktf said:

This is how var would be used if the offside rule was 'anything you can spot with the naked eye'. But that isn't the rule we have at the moment, hence the tech is used to spot offsides of even 1mm. 

Anyway, I think we both agree something needs to be done to stop var ruling out goals like sterling's, otherwise we're going to end up with forwards holding their runs, not playing on the shoulder of the last defender, and that'll mean less goals for us fans. 

A THICKER LINE on the screen  ..........

its not rocket science ???

i should add that a player coming back from an offside position probably shouldn’t be afforded the same thicker line as one already moving forwards but perhaps that’s complicating when we’re trying to simplify ......

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

A THICKER LINE on the screen  ..........

its not rocket science ???

i should add that a player coming back from an offside position probably shouldn’t be afforded the same thicker line as one already moving forwards but perhaps that’s complicating when we’re trying to simplify ......

Yep. This would be a way of implementing a rule that afforded the attacker a certain margin of error. A thicker line will allow the forward to be slightly the wrong side of the defender, but not enough to gain any real advantage (like sterling's armpit). 

On a side note, I'm not sure how easy it would be to calibrate the technology to do this. I'm guessing the var cameras are different distances from the pitch at each ground, which will alter the perspective of the images that the offside lines are overlaid on. So someone will need to work out how thick the line should be at each separate ground to keep the margin of error consistent across every game.