Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

12 hours ago, iancognito said:

Months of "sort out the handball rule, no-one knows what's deliberate and what's accidental" and then when they make it a definite "well, that's not handball....spirit of the game's gone"

Spirit oif the game??? WTF is that? That's been ruined by constant cheating, diving, trying to get players sent off, surrounding the ref. What did VAR decide this weekend? 5 goals? Got them all right. They moaned it wasn't quick enough, it took 1 minute and a half from the check to the decision. That's fine. They moaned it wasn't clear what it was for...it's now on the screens plus replays that's fine.

Excellent....

especially in Spirit of the game. Just a lame excuse.

Plus wolves players After the game surrounding the ref.!!! Shows all players stupidity.....They have been informed and told on the Handball ruling .....

dont get at the ref!!!!

Especially when you fluffed your own lines, performance and chances!!

The game was gone a long time before VAR.

Perhaps is players hadn't cheated as much as they have, this wouldn't have been necessary.

This is the end result of many years of cheating, no one can really complain.

Perhaps Nuno would be as well to discourage his players from falling over all the time and trying to get free kicks. 

• Thanks 1

Didn't want it and still don't want it.

It will kill most excitement.

For me even still the handball is a weird one because if a player is trying to head it then his hand will be somewhere "unnatural" anyway.

Can't argue with what Nuno said either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Didn't want it and still don't want it.

It will kill most excitement.

For me even still the handball is a weird one because if a player is trying to head it then his hand will be somewhere "unnatural" anyway.

Can't argue with what Nuno said either.

You can argue because it is the rule of game now.

Fact is some will go for us and some will go against us.

100% miserable Nuno will be saying VAR is the best thing since lifestyle bread if he gets a decision go his way in 93rd min to get his team through to the next round of europa cup or 3 points in the premier league.

We all knew it was co ing and every single VAR decision that was made over the weekend was correct.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fox85 said:

You can argue because it is the rule of game now.

Fact is some will go for us and some will go against us.

100% miserable Nuno will be saying VAR is the best thing since lifestyle bread if he gets a decision go his way in 93rd min to get his team through to the next round of europa cup or 3 points in the premier league.

We all knew it was co ing and every single VAR decision that was made over the weekend was correct.

Nuno ... he didn't disagree with it, from what I saw, he stated that images/video cannot be incorrect. Think he was more angered with some of our fans' sarcastic reaction.

Of course, over a season, some will go for us and some won't but when I'm at an away game and think we've taken a 0-1 lead only for it to be ruled out (and it took 1min 40secs yesterday) I'd be gutted.

It's just that excitement part I'm worried about losing.

I don't get Nuno's point about us celebrating the goal being disallowed. 

Would Wolves fans not do the same? 

Is the spirit of the game not to cheer when your opponent has something go against them and wanting your own team to do well? 

That spirit of the game crap is just a cop-out anyway. Shite excuse. So much other stuff in football that's worse than VAR yet doesn't get half as much attention. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is the spirit of the game not to cheer when your opponent has something go against them and wanting your own team to do well? 

That spirit of the game crap is just a cop-out anyway. Shite excuse. So much other stuff in football that's worse than VAR yet doesn't get half as much attention. 

Of course they would. 

14 hours ago, trabuch said:

I was talking about VAR with a friend who was a ref today. My main gripe is with the tiny offside decisions. He said - if you have a rule and VAR shows it - then that should stand, no matter how close. I said - but it's not in the spirit of the game. I'm right, he's wrong. VAR is a ****ing catastrophe. Lost my train of thought half way through that, but VAR doesn't help.

because the game now has the safety net of VAR I can see more technical rules being introduced

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Nuno ... he didn't disagree with it, from what I saw, he stated that images/video cannot be incorrect. Think he was more angered with some of our fans' sarcastic reaction.

Of course, over a season, some will go for us and some won't but when I'm at an away game and think we've taken a 0-1 lead only for it to be ruled out (and it took 1min 40secs yesterday) I'd be gutted.

It's just that excitement part I'm worried about losing.

Yeah, it's a concern. You know it's only a matter of time before it happens to us.

There's nothing worse (up until now) than seeing your team score, celebrating for a second or two before noticing the linesman had his flag up.

Decisions like yesterday are a hundred times worse because of the long delay. I didn't see any City players protesting about the goal and I didn't see anyone around me have any issue with it either.

It was reasonable for everyone to assume at that point that the goal stood. Even the score was updated on the big screen to show Leicester 0 Wolves 1! Everyone in the stadium it seemed had "accepted" the goal and was ready to move on.

Must have been gutting for the Wolves fans. I of course joined in the cheering when the ref asked for the ball (the first indication a decision had been reached) but it felt so wrong.

I guess we are all just going to have to get used to i!

• Like 4

Here's the spirit of the modern  game.

Goalkeepers holding onto the ball after a goal  to delay the restart.

Players initiating contact for penalties.

Players going down as soon as they feel  contact in the area.

Players falling deliberately onto other players to prevent them  from getting back in the game for a few seconds.

Players waving invisible cards at the ref.

Players dribbling the ball away form a freekick  to prevent it from being taken.

Players grabbing their face after being gently bumped in the chest.

i could go on ...

Don't give me any spirit of the game nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest MattP

One of the shittest things about it was when Perez handballed in the second half and the ref waved it on.

We were then on the attack and it was totally pointless as if we scored it was being dissallowed anyway, complete waste of time the passage of play until it went out or we lost possession.

3 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Yeah, it's a concern. You know it's only a matter of time before it happens to us.

There's nothing worse (up until now) than seeing your team score, celebrating for a second or two before noticing the linesman had his flag up.

Decisions like yesterday are a hundred times worse because of the long delay. I didn't see any City players protesting about the goal and I didn't see anyone around me have any issue with it either.

It was reasonable for everyone to assume at that point that the goal stood. Even the score was updated on the big screen to show Leicester 0 Wolves 1! Everyone in the stadium it seemed had "accepted" the goal and was ready to move on.

Must have been gutting for the Wolves fans. I of course joined in the cheering when the ref asked for the ball (the first indication a decision had been reached) but it felt so wrong.

I guess we are all just going to have to get used to i!

I don't necessarily think we will have to get used to it.

Booing and jeering was from City fans as the goal was reviewed, yet we could only gain from the review.

I think, unless the system reverts to 'clear and obvious errors' the system.will be booed out of the premier league.

Football isn't about millimetres. It's largely subjective. Nobody minds thierry henry / maradona style handballs or frank lampard 'goals' being brought to a ref's attention. 

But judging whether raheem sterling's bumcheek or armpit hair is offside was already written into the law....benefit of any doubt is given to attacker

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Swiss_tony said:

Players falling deliberately onto other players to prevent them  from getting back in the game for a few seconds.

Players dribbling the ball away form a freekick  to prevent it from being taken.

i could go on ...

I get all this but let's not use these as an excuse to sanitise football to death! 

VAR has a place undoubtedly but it shouldn't take over the game and leave fans every week nervously glaring at a big screen after every goal.

They have to get the balance right and hopefully will eventually.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StanSP said:

Quick Nuno guide to spirit of the game:

Not in the spirit of the game: Fans celebrating goals not being given against their team, officials referring the match to the rules of the game.

In the spirit of the game: Wily Boly deliberately punching the ball into the net, Nuno running onto the pitch to celebrate like a massive bellend on the pitch after winning goals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swiss_tony said:

i could go on ...

None of this will change with the addition of VAR

This is quite interesting; that they'd change offside intervention to it only being clear and obvious decisions that are over ruled by VAR. Giving power back to the officials.

But then again, clear and obvious offside is open to debate. 

Wouldn't be brought in until at least March anyway. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This is quite interesting; that they'd change offside intervention to it only being clear and obvious decisions that are over ruled by VAR. Giving power back to the officials.

But then again, clear and obvious offside is open to debate. 

Wouldn't be brought in until at least March anyway. 

Thing is it's black and white now, subject to the degree of accuracy if you make it based on Clear and Obvious  it then becomes subjective and who decides? Would it need all the VAR refs to agree or would one of them be given responsibility.?

I'm sure whatever the decision the VAR ref(s) made the TV companies would still show the incident and you'd get way more arguments about than you do now.

You're not actually giving power back to the on field officials you're passing it onto somewhat faceless VAR refs.

• Like 1

Had to laugh on Sunday,when it came up on screen about checking goal everyone round me was singing F**k VAR,F**k VAR.When it was overturned everyone started singing We Love VAR say WE Love VAR!!

Its one of those thing like before it came in some will go against us some will go for us and by end of season it will even out.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Thing is it's black and white now, subject to the degree of accuracy if you make it based on Clear and Obvious  it then becomes subjective and who decides? Would it need all the VAR refs to agree or would one of them be given responsibility.?

I'm sure whatever the decision the VAR ref(s) made the TV companies would still show the incident and you'd get way more arguments about than you do now.

You're not actually giving power back to the on field officials you're passing it onto somewhat faceless VAR refs.

You make the drawn line thicker and then it becomes clear and obvious that the official should have spotted it ...... any ‘small’ margin offsides are hidden under the line and not given/given 

• Like 1

Difference in football, especially offside, is that its hard to have a camera looking directly in line. Its much easier in cricket and tennis. How many cameras do they have in each half looking across the pitch? Is it just the TV ones or are there other cameras down the side of the pitch?

Can't get my head around some of the comments nationally re. Wolves disallowed goal. "Cant celebrate a goal now FFS!!!!!" It wasn't a legal goal. Surely teams not being shat on by goals going in against them that shouldn't have counted is more important than fans having to uncelebrate a ****ing goal? I know its not all Wolves fans saying this but I look forward to hearing a pin drop at Molineux when Wolves benefit from exactly the same situation.