Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Would we have won it in 1966?

The thing is, even with computer analysis of the footage, there is no clear outcome either way with that goal, even today. Although it is fair to say we would not have gone on and scored the 4th in the aftermath!! ha ha.

One thing which has always depressed me with football is the feeling that decisions go against Leicester which would not go against other clubs. With VAR, surely this will no longer be the case.

Although, inevitably, at some point in the not too distant future, we will be on the wrong side of a VAR decision. 

40 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I thought the new handball rule was only if it resulted in a direct goal or an assist. Perez would have had neither from where he handled the ball would he? 

If you’re right then I take it back. But I thought that if there was a foul within the direct build up to a goal it would be disallowed. Maybe this is something that will be ironed out in the coming weeks and months as we get used to it. I have reservations though. 

I didn’t understand why it was taking so long because on the face of it, it looked a perfectly good goal. However when it was taking so long, the more likely it was to be disallowed. Harsh if it was against us, but if that’s the new rule then fair enough. It wasn’t obvious even from the replay they showed on the screen. If they can make these decisions faster, then fine

Said before what I need to say about VAR so won't go on about it any more.

What I did find amusing was that the lady next to me, when we were ready to kick-off, was bemoaning VAR and saying stuff like 'oh come on, get on with it, this is why I can't stand VAR'.

Then when Marriner took the ball and signalled for a free-kick, she was loving it lol

I suspect this was the case for many people around me. I doubt everyone loves VAR but they were all happy when the goal was disallowed?! It's a bit hypocritical for me. And it's precisely one of the points I made about those who just refuse outright to give it a chance - you'll be happy when it goes for you but when it goes against you, you'll be like 'fvck VAR, ruining the game'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deucalion said:

Think back to all the times either Leicester or England have had the outcome of a game ruined due to a bad decision. 

Maradona's Hand of God

David Speedie at Wembley

And I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I know there are many, many more.

Could England have won the World Cup in 1986?  Could Leicester have been founder members of the Premier League?

if VAR means an short, uncomfortable wait, while an issue is resolved, then surely it has to be worth it to ensure outcomes are fair?

Would England have still won the WC Cup in '66?

Edited by Buce
  • Haha 2

Problem with them sort of handballs, if it leads to a goal they are going to say free kick. But would they give a pen if defender did a similar handball? Probably not. Unless a player has caught it, punched it or clearly deliberately used his hand then it should be play on, wherever on the pitch. 

I think if you are involved in football at some level you want precision, the margins are so fine everyone wants the correct decision but as a spectator I think we have lost something, football is such a simple game that flows and so easy to watch, the game is becoming so complex it will be easier to follow it on TV as opposed to being in the stadium plus celebrating a goal will never be the same again, you can make the game too clean.

• Like 1

Thought the communication on the decision was clear enough but walking out the ground I still didn’t know why it had been ruled out. 

They should forget video clips and just have someone announce the reason in a simple fashion, e.g. ‘goal ruled out because of a handball’.

The basic problem with VAR is that it means fans at the game actually have less  of an idea about what’s going on than people say watching it on TV on the other side of the globe. 

Did the business for us today but I still don’t like it. 

2 hours ago, Deucalion said:

The thing is, even with computer analysis of the footage, there is no clear outcome either way with that goal, even today. Although it is fair to say we would not have gone on and scored the 4th in the aftermath!! ha ha.

One thing which has always depressed me with football is the feeling that decisions go against Leicester which would not go against other clubs. With VAR, surely this will no longer be the case.

Although, inevitably, at some point in the not too distant future, we will be on the wrong side of a VAR decision. 

You mean the correct side?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicesterseddon said:

Thought the communication on the decision was clear enough but walking out the ground I still didn’t know why it had been ruled out. 

They should forget video clips and just have someone announce the reason in a simple fashion, e.g. ‘goal ruled out because of a handball’.

The basic problem with VAR is that it means fans at the game actually have less  of an idea about what’s going on than people say watching it on TV on the other side of the globe. 

Did the business for us today but I still don’t like it. 

They should play the discussions between the officials just like at the cricket and rugby where they've been doing it for years.

30 minutes ago, Corky said:

By the new rule it was correctly ruled out, however I can't shake the feeling we got away with it. Not one player appealed for the handball.

At least a marker has been laid down early and it has to be adhered to.

Guess the key thing is that such a ruling is consistent..applied all the time .

Did it feel too long ? For what probably was a clear cut ruling in that handball is handball it seems .

Thing is officials for now won't want to be seen rushing a decision incase they do miss something ..

Rules are rules. It was made clear that any handball which directly results in a goal would be given, intentional or not. Some people are too quick to jump on the blame VAR bandwagon, when all it's doing is acting on those rules. Blame the rule makers!

Edited by TK95
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Did it feel too long ? For what probably was a clear cut ruling in that handball is handball it seems .

Thing is officials for now won't want to be seen rushing a decision incase they do miss something ..

It did feel a decent period of time but it should be mentioned that none of our players appealed and the crowd knew there was a VAR check in progress but myself, like others around me, assumed that it was a routine check as nothing untoward appeared to have occurred. We only realised when Marriner asked Vardy to give him the ball from the kick-off and went to give us a free-kick, then we saw it on the big screen but still it wasn't totally clear.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

For me the decision didn't seem to take that long, but it was the time it was taken to actually review the decision although I understand all goals are checked. Once they scored they had a celebration in front of the family stand, walked back to there half, placed the ball on the centre spot and about to kick off when it came up on the scoreboard. That for me was too long.

Also at the Man It's game they gave the result of the decision over the PA system as well as the screens, didn't here anything at the KP or did I miss it ? Is it down to the individual club?

Edited by smitha

14 minutes ago, smitha said:

For me the decision didn't seem to take that long, but it was the time it was taken to actually review the decision although I understand all goals are checked. Once they scored they had a celebration in front of the family stand, walked back to there half, placed the ball on the centre spot and about to kick off when it came up on the scoreboard. That for me was too long.

Also at the Man It's game they gave the result of the decision over the PA system as well as the screens, didn't here anything at the KP or did I miss it ? Is it down to the individual club?

Man U don't have a screen do they so guess need those announcements?

However we had both the information on the screen and via the PA.

Yes all goals can be checked but as I say think officials will be under pressure to be totally certain about a decision so will take time .

As for Nino - he would have been applauding the decision had it gone for them !

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

On a side note, I don’t really understand what Nuno is bitching about today. He moans Leicester celebrated a disallowed goal decision, we’ve always done that mate. He’s just upset their handball goal didn’t stand.  

Didn't see that but as if Wolves fans would stay quiet in Molineux had it gone in their favour lol 

• Like 1

Loads of wolves fans on twitter referencing the part of the handball law which is not relevant when a goal is scored (ie. deflections onto an arm or hand are not handball) .......I even saw mark halsey not understanding it ....it really isn’t difficult ........any contact with the arm or hand which assists in a goal being scored is handball .... whether you like the law or not isn’t relevant ....VAR is there to assist the officials who may not spot this.   whether you like or dislike var, it was used correctly in this instance. 

And nuno wasnt moaning about the Var decision - he was bemoaning the length of time it takes and that it destroys the moment and passion of scoring a goal ......

Edited by st albans fox

Is a delay in celebrating a goal really more important than ultimately getting a decision right? Saw two Wolves fans on Twitter earlier saying they would rather be shat on by VAR than have to revoke their celebration from 2mins before.. laughable. Even if they benefitted from it they still wouldn't like it they said.

50 minutes ago, Corky said:

It did feel a decent period of time but it should be mentioned that none of our players appealed and the crowd knew there was a VAR check in progress but myself, like others around me, assumed that it was a routine check as nothing untoward appeared to have occurred. We only realised when Marriner asked Vardy to give him the ball from the kick-off and went to give us a free-kick, then we saw it on the big screen but still it wasn't totally clear.

I had a feeling they'd found something when it took a minute to check the goal. If it was fine and clear then normally they're straight forward. 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

By the new rule it was correctly ruled out, however I can't shake the feeling we got away with it. Not one player appealed for the handball.

At least a marker has been laid down early and it has to be adhered to.

With regards to the new rule, any idea a handball in the build up can be used to disallowed a goal eg is just the player either scoring or assisting, or can it be used in the build up a lot earlier 

I didn't think this was what we was going to  be getting with VAR. I thought it would be used for obvious things that the ref missed, because he was unsighted. Like a shot being blocked with a defenders hand when he's flung his arm out, or a foul that he doesn't spot from his angle or someone half a yard offside. I thought we'd have these guys sat in a room and they'd spot something like a potential block with an arm and inform the ref and say he was unsighted but it's a clear handball. Or those offsides where the defender steps out as the attacker runs through, often get missed, understandably, I thought they'd be picking up on those. I didn't think we'd have guys sat in a room, watching numerous replays and slowing things down and drawing lines and doing the whole CSI works on replays to find something no ref or linesman is ever going to spot in real time to disallow goals. Yes the decisions may ultimately be "correct" but is doing this really good for the game? Imo the VAR should have looked at the Jesus goal yesterday and at the first point of pausing it he doesn't look offside, then it's fine. Is him zooming in and finding the furtherest point of sterling's body that forward and doing the same on the defender, then drawing a two lines really necessary? With the Boly handball, if you have to slow it down that much, no ref is seeing it, so let it go. 

I blame Sky and the BBC. For years they showed replays of incidents, slowed them right down, switched angle etc and then ripped into the ref for missing it, when in real time he wouldn't have seen it, so now we're reffing the game like an episode of match of the day. It's not good people, its not what the game is about. I'm all for helping the refs, but to help them with the major cock ups they make. We've gone too far.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

I thought it was supposed to be clear and obvious errors only. If it takes 5-6 replays to figure something out then its not clear and obvious, it's doing your best to find a reason to disallow a goal. Seeing the ball brush someones arm in half speed on the 6th angle replay isn't enough for me.

• Like 3