Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

Just now, NaijaFox said:

I think Perez and Nacho would work out better than either alone.

Maybe - just do something else. It just seems so strange to persist with an approach that is so clearly unsuccessful and getting worse.

I also fear for Perez’s confidence his body language is getting worse and he looks totally lost

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Can someone tell me in which position Perez is good, apart from on the bench?

He’s a poor mans Maddison. Although Maddison himself today was truly dreadful.

Perez is a link up player between the midfield and the striker. He creates space for other players. He’s not a Vardy. Never has been 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Can someone tell me in which position Perez is good, apart from on the bench?

For a team in our position, the bench is his ideal position. I'd love to have him as an option off the bench. I think he probably plays best in Maddisons position, but he's not a patch of Maddison.

Talking of Maddison, I just had a flashback of that god awful pass when all Perez had to do was play a simple pass to Maddison who was clean through about 12 yards out.

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s no coincidence that Perez has also looked best for City when he’s played just off the striker. Why? Because that’s his natural position. He’s not good enough to replace Vardy up top, and neither is Iheanacho. The club needs to recruit to this position, we all know it. 
But you keep slating a bloke who’s being asked to do a job he’s not used to and is not good enough to do, if you like.

Personally I’d rather look for some answer to the Vardy problem. But it’s not being resolved 

I criticize (just as I praise) each player on each performance.

Arguing that it wasn't his ' best' position today doesn't mean he did not actually have a piss-poor performance, nor preclude folks noting that.

You can make a bigger picture argument, but cannot rationally argue that criticisms for SPECIFIC piss poor performances are not "warranted".   

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Agree Col. Doing a completely thankless task at the moment. A player bought without any real strategy in mind imo. Our lack of activity in the transfer window (as understandable as it may be) will ultimately cost us a place in the top 4 for the second season running. Some will pass this off as being fine because we shouldn't be there anyway but we've had major opportunities to capitalise on the failings of the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and have stuttered repeatedly. 

Realistic expectations are fine but if we fail to show the ambition to break into the top 4 the better players in our squad will look to leave sooner than they maybe would have. 

Of course it isn't all doom and gloom and there's plenty to be positive about. The frustration comes for me that we're so close to something special and just need that little boost to take us on a level

Great post mate

👍

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

He has been asked to play a position he is not suited to, this is BR's fault.

...I really envisage that our recruitment team expects in a few seasons time, Vardy will tell them at the end of a season he will be quitting, and that is when they will choose to find his replacement!!!

I suspect they view getting someone in now as a poor use of their finance.

13 minutes ago, filbertway said:

This. I can't stand seeing him up there and I get annoyed by people defending him and making out he's played better than he has. He's just not up to the job and it's hard to knock a player if the manager keeps putting them in when they're clearly not up to it.

..and what job would that be?

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

He’s a poor mans Maddison. Although Maddison himself today was truly dreadful.

Perez is a link up player between the midfield and the striker. He creates space for other players. He’s not a Vardy. Never has been 

Agreed - he does bits and pieces of link up play, but struggles to control the ball and turn like Madders. He has a decent work ethic - he’s like a sort of Maddison-Albrighton hybrid. Lacking Madd’s class and Albrighton’s relentless effort - leaving us with an underwhelming utility player. Certainly not a striker and BR has to stop this nonsense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Agree Col. Doing a completely thankless task at the moment. A player bought without any real strategy in mind imo. Our lack of activity in the transfer window (as understandable as it may be) will ultimately cost us a place in the top 4 for the second season running. Some will pass this off as being fine because we shouldn't be there anyway but we've had major opportunities to capitalise on the failings of the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and have stuttered repeatedly. 

Realistic expectations are fine but if we fail to show the ambition to break into the top 4 the better players in our squad will look to leave sooner than they maybe would have. 

Of course it isn't all doom and gloom and there's plenty to be positive about. The frustration comes for me that we're so close to something special and just need that little boost to take us on a level

Sadly, he's not doing a "thankful" one at the moment either! lol

We get the bigger picture, but it cannot preclude criticism of a piss poor performance on the day.

Controlling the ball, staying on your feet, making better decisions, etc., has nothing to do with the transfer window.

Edited by NaijaFox

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

..and what job would that be?

Playing as a starting striker or winger in our team. He plays and he's there and can do the basics, which I realise some people love. For me, he's not good enough to be starting in positions that require a player to chip in with a healthy amount of goal contributions.

To those that keep saying he is a withdrawn striker or no.10 (despite playing wide right for Newcastle), I'd say he IS playing as a withdrawn striker now and making a pig's ear of it.  You can't come deep and link up play if you can't control the ball or keep possession.   For me his best position is somewhere in Spain.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Playing as a starting striker or winger in our team. He plays and he's there and can do the basics, which I realise some people love. For me, he's not good enough to be starting in positions that require a player to chip in with a healthy amount of goal contributions.

Think that’s fair to be honest, but do not view him as either of those (no idea why we bought him) but given a system and enough time he would possibly do these things, but do we want to do that? Do we have the time or inclination? 

The issues he has are the same,issues Nacho has. They aren’t Vardy or can operate in a system which has grown with his skill set in mind.

Edited by Dahnsouff

Sooner we can get rid of Perez the better. Ideally released on a free before the end of January if we can't find a taker.

He's been a complete flop, another £30m down the drain and completely unsuited to the way we play. League 1 player at best.

7 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Sadly, he's not doing a "thankful" one at the moment either! lol

We get the bigger picture, but it cannot preclude criticism of a piss poor performance on the day.

Controlling the ball, staying on your feet, making better decisions, etc., has nothing to do with the transfer window.

No one’s disagreeing with you. Perez was rubbish today

But it has to be put into context because if Rodgers keeps playing him in the Vardy role, we’ll be writing the same thing after every match 

• Like 1

The biggest issue with Perez for me is the amount of times he loses possession. If you look at his stats this is always shockingly high and seemed that way today. Pretty sure it was West Ham at home where, when I looked at the stats, he lost the ball far too much. Plays too slow.

He was horrendous today but in fairness to him, again the rest of the team needs to adapt to the fact he’s not Vardy. He drops deep and there’s no space because the defensive is comfortable pressing right up to him because nobody else was going in behind to worry the defenders. Ricardo got the closest to doing that consistently at start of second half but wasn’t enough really.

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 3