Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

22 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He scored enough to keep them up so why is it he struggles here. I believe it's as much the system we play. 

The last part I fully agree with and I've always been puzzled why we signed him when we had a need for more urgent requirements at the time. 

But we have very little choice in that area so what is the answer. ?

He had a short run of scoring goals in a six year spell at the club - it’s not a given he will replicate that. In fact, I don’t see it happening. We can’t keep playing him as a number 9 IMO, we have to use one of our attacking midfielders or use Kel again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kevin Russell said:

He was abysmal.

He was mediocre. It's not so much about his abilities and I suspect that in a team built around him he'd look a damn sight better. But he appears to be operating on Spanish time. There's no urgency about him - no attempt to harry and harrass defences. It appears that he feels his performances are fine and that means that he's not seeing what everyone else sees. Vardy thinks - Perez reacts. Vardy's waiting for a cock-up - Perez switches off when the ball is three metres away from him. It's like he's dreaming of being on a beach somewhere. Iheanacho might have been the better choice. But City badly need a young striker...with the potential to learn...from Vardy.

55 minutes ago, gerblod said:

He was mediocre. It's not so much about his abilities and I suspect that in a team built around him he'd look a damn sight better. But he appears to be operating on Spanish time. There's no urgency about him - no attempt to harry and harrass defences. It appears that he feels his performances are fine and that means that he's not seeing what everyone else sees. Vardy thinks - Perez reacts. Vardy's waiting for a cock-up - Perez switches off when the ball is three metres away from him. It's like he's dreaming of being on a beach somewhere. Iheanacho might have been the better choice. But City badly need a young striker...with the potential to learn...from Vardy.

I think you’ve nailed it here, although I’m not sure if he has the attributes to warrant building a team around. 

It’s his touch and ball retention I’ve been most concerned about. I knew he wouldn’t be a physical presence or a threat running in behind  - but I did think he would bring more in terms of creativity - not just playing easy passes and losing the ball all the time.

Kel is not the answer either, but BR has never given him as much time as Perez is afforded - even when he was playing well last season. Kel at least offers strength and directness, even if his link up play is often poor. However, his time with us is up - if he is not deemed to offer more than Perez as a number 9 we have to sell him.

We have a big summer ahead where we need to focus all attention on one thing only - a young dynamic Striker.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

I think you’ve nailed it here, although I’m not sure if he has the attributes to warrant building a team around. 

It’s his touch and ball retention I’ve been most concerned about. I knew he wouldn’t be a physical presence or a threat running in behind  - but I did think he would bring more in terms of creativity - not just playing easy passes and losing the ball all the time.

Kel is not the answer either, but BR has never given him as much time as Perez is afforded - even when he was playing well last season. Kel at least offers strength and directness, even if his link up play is often poor. However, his time with us is up - if he is not deemed to offer more than Perez as a number 9 we have to sell him.

We have a big summer ahead where we need to focus all attention on one thing only - a young dynamic Striker.

The thing that gets to me is, as you rightly mention, is his strength and also lack of aggression. Yet when you physically see him, he's not a weedily built man and taller than quite a few so I can't understand it unless he's just naturally a big wuss! Rodgers is supposedly a good man manager and I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve that but, different people need different management, some need an absolute rocket up their arse to get them to perform. Perez is now one of those for me and he's so poor, we've nothing to lose even if he goes mardy and rarely plays again. He needs to be wound up. If I was Rodgers I tell him to get in the gym every day and vastly improve his core strength. He then needs to be told that unless he shows a dramatic improvement in aggression and physicality then he can start looking for another club. I'd sooner see a number of yellow cards than his continual languid and powder puff performances. Ricardo openly admitted that he had to adapt and work on his strength and physicality to cope in the Premiership so, if he can do it, so can Perez or do one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

The fact I'm hoping Iheanacho plays instead of Perez at Fulham tomorrow says it all for me personally. 

I think that’s the way I’m feeling also. He’s got nice control but doesn’t seem offer any serious threat. At least I know Nacho can hold up ball but he needs to show he can link up with Barnes and Under if he plays.

• Like 1

I wanted him to do well and has not been as bad as some on here have said but I think most peoples patience with him has finally run out.  Is simply not giving enough to warrant a place in the squad let alone the team at present.  A real weak link who although tries hard is lacking in athletism needed to be a top footballer in the Prem.  Would be better off going abroad where his slower style is maybe more suited.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

24 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

anyone got his take on/dribble stats?

35 dribbles attempted, 15 completed = 42.9%

Better than Barnes who has 41.2% (51 dribbles attempted, 21 completed)

Good site for looking at stats https://fbref.com/en/squads/a2d435b3/Leicester-City-Stats#all_stats_possession_10728

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

35 dribbles attempted, 15 completed = 42.9%

Better than Barnes who has 41.2% (51 dribbles attempted, 21 completed)

Good site for looking at stats https://fbref.com/en/squads/a2d435b3/Leicester-City-Stats#all_stats_possession_10728

just ftr, dribble on fbref only means if they actually take on a player. an example for that is during the leeds game, harvey barnes' run before his goal will be counted as a carry rather than a dribble.

3 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Unfortunately that may be the case but we cannot build a team around him like Newcastle could afford to do. He isn't good enough for a team pushing for top 4 to do that. So he'll need to adapt to another role where he contributes or his time will be very limited.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

You are right it was Fofana with the Shirt pull.

You're also right he isn't the answer to what we need but what other option do we have in the current circumstances. We should have had an alternative Striker covering for Vardy.

I just find it extremely arrogant from Brendan to plan with 5 or 6 CBs and 1 CF. for a whole season.

So what else can we try unless Iheanacho. We could try an old Leicester trick of playing Soyuncu up top like we used to use Walshie and even Morgan if I can remember.

At least he might win a few headers or rough up a few defenders. I doubt Brendan would allow his ego to try something like this.

At the end of the day it's about winning Match's the How doesn't matter much at the end of the day.

Arrogant can be a negative way of saying decisive.  He may not agree with your decisive tactical philosophy. 

1CF?  That's a very decisive opinion.  Perhaps Iheanacho describes himself as a substitute.  Perhaps Perez would not describe himself as a striker.

It would be interesting to see Soyuncu or Fofana at centre forward.  But we no longer p.ay the same way we did under Martin O'Neill.  If it was tried and didn't work, melt down could occur in the forum.

The difficulty of signing quality back up strikers is partly a testament to the success of Vardy.  Slimani was arguably a quality striker but that didn't work out.

28 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

How old is Pérez? He has the build of a teenager, it's really strange. Too skinny to play up front for me.

Vardy makes Perez look like Geoff Capes lol 

Edited by AKCJ

19 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

He scored enough to keep them up so why is it he struggles here. I believe it's as much the system we play. 

The last part I fully agree with and I've always been puzzled why we signed him when we had a need for more urgent requirements at the time. 

But we have very little choice in that area so what is the answer. ?

All I keep hearing is systems and positions in this thread

28 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Vardy makes Perez look like Geoff Capes lol 

Not sure about that, Vardy might be 0% body fat but he also has some muscle and some size to his chest and shoulders. Basically, the build of a man rather than a teenager.

Perez has the build of a ballerina!

17 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

And plays like one, usually a rendition of the Sugar Plum Fairy.

I say again, how on earth can Pérez play as a lone striker?
No way is he strong enough to shield the ball with his back to goal. 
Defenders will just knock him over! 
Either play him where he’s going to have some good effect or not at all. 
I’m no Nacho fan, but I’d play him over Perez as a lone striker 

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I say again, how on earth can Pérez play as a lone striker?
No way is he strong enough to shield the ball with his back to goal. 
Defenders will just knock him over! 
Either play him where he’s going to have some good effect or not at all. 
I’m no Nacho fan, but I’d play him over Perez as a lone striker 

If JV is strong enough to play up front then why isn't Perez?  There are lots of small strikers, it's not about brute strength it's about tenacity.  He is heavier than N'Golo for instance, albeit a couple of inches taller.  There has been several nasty 'little uns' form Nobby Stiles to Dennis Wise.  It's the size of the fight in the dog as they say.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong for saying he isn't a lone striker, he isn't and he is on a hiding to nothing, but I would like to see him find some edge and steel to his game.   

• Thanks 1