Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

Were in a tough position if we persist with the lone striker formation. We have a handful of options at best and none are ideal.

I can not see any of our squad outside Vardy playing there with any level of competence.

Options

Nancho - can play on the last man but not consistent enough and looks solid one minute and way off the pace the next, nothing inbetween.. confidence = rock bottom

Barnes - strength is running at players, I think hed really struggle playing with his back to goal.

Under - Harvey Barnes type player - he couldnt play it as he, like Perez, not strong enough and would get out muscle by stronger centre backs

If Vardy is out for a prolongued period then I think Brendan may need to experiment with two forwards, one being Kelechi.

2 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

He has his uses, from time to time.

Would definitely be much happier if he'd cost 3 million quid.

For how much we did actually pay for him we've had nowhere near the desired output. Even Slimani I think you could argue produced more. The problem I find with Perez is the excuses seem to stack up for him. Nobody seems to know where he actually plays.

God knows where we'd be if Vardy had a long-term injury. We cannot rely on him or Iheanacho up front. Vardy's got enormous shoes to fill but it's a pretty pitiful situation.

• Like 2

His output in the league is pretty poor in terms of goals, 10 in 56, 3 of which were against a dead and buried Southampton side where we were just helping ourselves. Take them away, 7 in 55 even for a second striker is much lower than you'd hope. 

He's likeable enough but I don't think he's at the level we're aspiring to and crucially I don't think he has the potential to improve to said level.

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

For how much we did actually pay for him we've had nowhere near the desired output. Even Slimani I think you could argue produced more. The problem I find with Perez is the excuses seem to stack up for him. Nobody seems to know where he actually plays.

God knows where we'd be if Vardy had a long-term injury. We cannot rely on him or Iheanacho up front. Vardy's got enormous shoes to fill but it's a pretty pitiful situation.

Perez has already brought more to this team than Slimani ever did.

The Slimani signing was one of the worst bits of business this club has ever done. 

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The Slimani signing was one of the worst bits of business this club has ever done. 

True, but not by much. 

Both a total waste of big money. 

Hope Perez proves me wrong👍

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

I think I'd genuinely go Under or Barnes as the focal point until Vardy is back. I dont see either as long term solutions, but for me, we need someone who can play in the shoulder of the defence and scare the defence with pace. 

Perez just drops into Maddisons place atm and it leads to us ultimately running out of ideas because the options arent available.

Will be interesting to see how we line up against Fulham

Thoroughly agree. I'd say on tuesday I'd go with;

Schmeichel/Fofana/Soyuncu/Evans/JJ/Ricky/Mendy/Tielemans/Maddison/Under/Barnes.

I wouldn't even go with a recognised striker as I think with that formation any of the wingers and Tielemans and Maddison are capable of scoring and also transitioning in general play than say Perez. I say that as I thought perez actually got in the way of the attacking players at times today and broke play down. One other thing is how to stretch the pitch with no recognised forward  so I'd prefer the back 3 to sit a little deeper to give the midfield more room to catch up with the wingers in play in the final 3rd. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

In terms of money for output he's up there but we have a lot of other recent  contenders in order

Ghezzal

Silva 

Musa 

Diabate 

Players you just scratch your head and ask why? 

The problem is wherever he plays he simply not quite good enough. He's not an out and out striker, He's not an out and out  No.10. he not an out and out winger, he's basically all three clumped together and where the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts.

He can link things together but we have players better at it than him. Play him up front and we're essentially playing with 10 effective players.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think his best position is in the Maddison role behind the striker. He does have good close control and at times can flick the ball around neatly. He doesn't have the pace or physicality to play up front and can't affect the game out wide.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

In terms of money for output he's up there but we have a lot of other recent  contenders in order

Ghezzal

Silva 

Musa 

Diabate 

Players you just scratch your head and ask why? 

Funny how the pundits seem to miss these when talking about our good business. Tbf every club will do good and bad business and it's the risk we take.

But perez is a fairly known quantity. Just been so pi$$ poor.

2 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

The biggest issue with Perez for me is the amount of times he loses possession. If you look at his stats this is always shockingly high and seemed that way today. Pretty sure it was West Ham at home where, when I looked at the stats, he lost the ball far too much. Plays too slow.

He was horrendous today but in fairness to him, again the rest of the team needs to adapt to the fact he’s not Vardy. He drops deep and there’s no space because the defensive is comfortable pressing right up to him because nobody else was going in behind to worry the defenders. Ricardo got the closest to doing that consistently at start of second half but wasn’t enough really.

According to stats today he was dispossessed once and had the best pass completion in the side 

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

I think his best position is in the Maddison role behind the striker. He does have good close control and at times can flick the ball around neatly. He doesn't have the pace or physicality to play up front and can't affect the game out wide.

He’s decent backup for Maddison and we need a decent backup for Maddison. It’s not really his fault

that we have failed to sign a decent backup for Vardy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RGFox said:

Funny how the pundits seem to miss these when talking about our good business. Tbf every club will do good and bad business and it's the risk we take.

Such an odd out of the blue signing, and for that amount of money, bit like rachid the winger that couldn't beat a man, I remember reading people on here saying he was rubbish, same with Musa. 

4 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

He’s decent backup for Maddison and we need a decent backup for Maddison. It’s not really his fault

that we have failed to sign a decent backup for Vardy.

Iheanacho also played well in that role towards the end of last season when Maddison was injured.

To be honest I think Barnes is presently the best option to cover for Vardy.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RGFox said:

Yes, that's why he tops that list of flops for me.  He was very much a known quantity at Newcastle and an entirely bizarre choice imo.  Not his fault, he didn't buy himself and he didn't set the price but it is one we got very, very wrong and there was no excuse for it.  He is pretty much the same player here that he was at Newcastle just without the goals.  

I also think that his fee coupled with the suspicion that he was Rodgers' pick means that we suffered twice because we have persisted with him to the detriment of the team when his race should have been run here.

At least the other's on that list came from foreign leagues so it is more difficult to have known whether they would have made it in the Premier League.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Thoroughly agree. I'd say on tuesday I'd go with;

Schmeichel/Fofana/Soyuncu/Evans/JJ/Ricky/Mendy/Tielemans/Maddison/Under/Barnes.

I wouldn't even go with a recognised striker as I think with that formation any of the wingers and Tielemans and Maddison are capable of scoring and also transitioning in general play than say Perez. I say that as I thought perez actually got in the way of the attacking players at times today and broke play down. One other thing is how to stretch the pitch with no recognised forward  so I'd prefer the back 3 to sit a little deeper to give the midfield more room to catch up with the wingers in play in the final 3rd. 

I like it, but what do you say to nacho and Perez? You're basically telling them neither are good enough to play, I just wonder how you manage that? 

I think it's a bit harsh to criticise Ayoze, I don't think it's his fault he's been asked to play where he is, and it's not as if he's not trying. 

What I find baffling is that Brendan is still going with it when it's obvious it's not working. He has axed Nacho for not being a lot worse, if being worse at all.

it's all quite confusing. 

• Like 3